Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• flightnurseflightnurse at 35K feetPosts: 1,523
    $399/m crowd isn't the Auto Enthusiasts that BMW Club is looking for. They are looking for the people who ordered a 335i WIth Sport Package, M Package and who understands the car. The poser crowd is just worried that enough people see the in their strip down 328i. This is why the manual cars are few and far between these days.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,599
    edited November 2012
    This is correct, however, BMW does support the events, track days (bringing M cars to the event), clinic's and such.

That's great. I was just pointing out that your post inferred that the BMWCCA was part of BMW and that they should get credit for the support the club provides owners.
    Why would you do that, since we all know you secretly want a 335ix manual. BTW, if Infinti thought money could be made by a Infinti Club don't you think Nissan would have started one.

I just opened the Infiniti club of New England - who wants to join? Don't even need a car or driver license. Benefits include discounts at subway restaurants, courtyard by marriot and western union. $50 a year includes a yearly email with my best edmunds rants. If you act now I will throw in a set of dice valve stem caps.
    You are right, however, BMWCCA can't succeed with with BMW of USA support. This goes for BMW MOA (motorcycle club)

That's great. I was just pointing out that your post inferred that the BMWCCA was part of BMW and that they should get credit for the support the club provides owners.
  • victor23victor23 Posts: 201
    Why would a non-enthusiast pick a $399 BMW lease over a $399 Camry purchase??

I work at a big hospital, and I would contend that for the vast majority of BMW and MB owners, they are accessories of their profession, just like a white coat or a certificate on the wall.
  • sweendogysweendogy Posts: 1,052
    Flight nothing secret about it- I said it so it's fact. Just like the BMW club plenty of Nissan, nico, g35 forums and clubs. Don't know of they are sponcered but they do have followings.
    interesting comment, i can tell you that the last hospital I worked at, (Level 1, Burn Center, Level 3 NICU) was a teaching hospital. Their were plenty of doc's with BMW's, MB and Audi's., none were the stripped down kind. Plenty of M3's, M5's M6's X6's and 7 series, Audi S5's and A8, MB AMG E and a couple of SLS's... The stripped sown 328i usually belonged to the nursing and ancillary staff.
    The only club that received support from Datsun/Nissan was the Z club, I believe that stopped.
    The stripped sown 328i usually belonged to the nursing and ancillary staff

1. My point was not the trim itself (stripped down or top-of-the-line), rather the reason why people buy/lease BMW or MB instead of similarly priced or cheaper more practical alternatives. Their reasons have mostly nothing to do with being a car enthusiast.

2. Don't forget that the majority of doctors are not the real high-paid practicing doctors/professors; most are residents. Just fresh after obtaining their MD, single, in a 24/7 serfdom at a really miserable salary. Most are immigrants. However, the first thing the boy does after getting his MD, is to buy a BMW or MB, even if used. Especially if he is a 3rd-world-immigrant. To be perceived a part of the guild. To show off to his family.
    Just to clairify - your saying rich people are the ones buying new high end bmws And support staff buy cheaper "more affordable" bmws- interesting.

Any color preference?
    Yep my point-
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,706
    And then there's the doctor who drives the big SUV with the mud tires and winch on it. That hasn't been washed for a year. Just because he can.

:P
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,101
    After getting mauled by a hurricane last week, those of us living in NY/NJ/CT are currently in the middle of a nasty nor'easter that has dumped over 5 inches of heavy, wet, snow on our area. It was the 1st time I've gotten to experience just how good the X-drive AWD system (and the DSC) in my 328xi really is. My car performed flawlessly. It took me 4 hours to get home from work today (31 miles). I saw many unprepared RWD Town Cars spinning out and quite a few FWD cars struggling to get up hills. My car didn't flinch. I was truly amazed at how well it took on the task.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• stickguystickguy Posts: 13,584
    I was actually hoping for a few inches on the road so I could check out the new AWD RDX I imagine it will do just fine.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Glad to hear that you're doing well in the face of a double punch. The DC area was lucky to have missed the brunt of the hurricane, but I have a few friends in New Jersey and New York that are still without power and a colleague who's childhood home on Staten Island was wiped out. Fortunately he was able to evacuate his elderly mother and father in time, and they are physically safe, but emotionally devastated.

Puts ELLPS debates in perspective - and my condolences to anyone adversely affected.
    Victor thank you for the lesson in medical residency, I've been in the medical profession now 13 years and seen it all when it comes to residents and doctors and what they drive.

Why people lease BMW and MB is simple, because they want to and because they can. For residents/doctors it is a way to reward themselves for the work they put in to get where they are today. In some ways I do not blame them.
    Sweeny, where did I say support staff? Support staff would be CNA's and phlebotomist, transporters who do not make the kind of money to lease a BMW.

I said, ancillary staff. This would be Ultra Sound Tech, and Echo tech, Rad Techs and such,.
  • I am keeping mine in the garage, all the salt and sand-yuck, not on my ZAINOED TL.
    I've been in the medical profession now 13 years and seen it all ... people lease BMW and MB ... because they want to and because they can... to reward themselves for the work ...I do not blame them.

Nobody doubts your credentials, just looking at your userID. You've seen, but you are not telling anybody. So, I took pains to post the story. Of course people buy when they want to and can, nothing wrong with that, and thanks for the lesson in economics, too. Nobody ever blamed anybody for anything, and, BTW, thanks for all hard work.

The only message I am trying to convey (third time already) is just that the reasons for buying mostly don't have anything to do with the process of driving. BMW and MB are rarely used as "enthusiast's car", no matter the trim. Just to remind: the original question (which I was trying to answer) was "Why would a non-enthusiast pick a BMW lease over a Camry purchase".
    I'm interested to what colors the medical communities gravitate towards-