Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,600
    Interesting since Fiat owns Alfa, and Fiat wants to make a big push here in the US, I'm we are going to see some of those Italian sedan state side. I had a friend who had a GTV-6 great car...

Alfa has been threatening to return to North America for about 5 years now. They keep pushing the date back.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,385
    Alfa has been threatening to return to North America for about 5 years now. They keep pushing the date back.

Perhaps that's because they realize that most of their current products do not live up to the standards set by the Alfas we recall so fondly. In that case it's best that they do right rather than right away. :shades:
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,895

oh, its been going on much longer than that. I definitely remember reading about their return back in 2000.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• sweendogysweendogy Posts: 1,052
    Alfas already here boys - go to the dodge dealer and ask to see /Alfa_Romeo_Giulietta_- or as we know it here the new dart. Enjoy
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    I was the proud owner of a 79 Spider. It was a fun car and i loved it, but i wouldnt say i was impressed with the standards set by Alfa.

Quality an reliability were not Alfa hallmarks.

Quality an reliability were not Alfa hallmarks.

That's true enough but they made up for it with character and style, something sorely lacking in most modern cars (including the current FWD Alfas). A sport sedan with modern build quality and old-fashioned responsiveness and feel may be elusive or even impossible but we can dream can't we?

If not Alfa, who, or are we condemned to overweight blandly styled luxo-boats instead of real sports sedans? :(
  • Skoda Octavia vRS TSI is worth a look - or would be if VW Group would sell it in your part of the known universe. :cry:

Review attached for the gasser 5-door Hatch. It also comes in Estate form and both body styles are also available with 2.0 TDi, of course. It's fun, chuckable and very roomy. Too big ? Search for the Skoda Fabia vRS - 170bhp of 1.4 ltr gasser fun in a 5-door hatch body. :shades:

Skoda Octavia vRS TSI
    edited December 2012

Skoda Octavia vRS TSI is worth a look - or would be if VW Group would sell it in your part of the known universe

They do not sell it here of course, nor are they likely to, but my real problem with it is my belief that any real sport sedan has to have RWD. AWD might be acceptable if it mimics the dynamics of a RWD car but I have no interest in any FWD car larger than a Golf.
    edited December 2012
    There is the Miata, BR-Z, RX-8, Boxster/Cayman, and Elise/Exige.

But i agree, new cars dont compare in dynamics and feel to older cars. But its complicated. Older cars give more feel and feedback and are more fun and rewarding to drive, but this is partly because they have less rigid bodies and lower handling limits.

Different driving experience. For 99% of drivers, new cars are faster and safer.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,584
    man, I would love to see a variant on the BRZ that was more practical. Stretch it a little and have a wagon style body.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

edited December 2012
    The WRX is a good choice there.

The TSX Wagon with a 6-speed manual would be cool too...
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,104
    TSX Wagon is 5 Speed auto only.

Speaking of the next WRX, when is that coming out? Subaru is still selling the previous body style 1 year into the new body style Impreza.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

There is the Miata, BR-Z, RX-8, Boxster/Cayman, and Elise/Exige.

Oh, I will acquire a Boxster eventually but none of those are performance sedans.
  • dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 3,427
    My understanding is there are no plans to make WRX from current new Impreza body, so who knows when new WRX comes. Lots of different rumours, nothing of substance.

2012 BMW 328i wagon, manual and sports package. No. sold in the US: 1. Probably.

When you own a boxster, you wont need a "performance sedan."
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    When you own a boxster, you wont need a "performance sedan."

That's what I am trying to convince myself of in contemplating placing an order on a new Cayman S. i.e. That if I get it, my 2004 Acura TL 6-speed will be good enough for another 5 years. Otherwise, I might end up with a 2013 M3 at near giveaway prices.

I will say that when I had my 911, my Acura TL was more enjoyable to drive then. I didn't feel like it needed to go beyond it's capabilities to be satisfying. It's a damn nice, economical to own, sporty sedan; if not an all out "performance sedan". And I could let the guy next to me in his 550i rev his engine without feeling inferior - knowing that I had a car in the garage that could run circles around it. Now the only other gas powered things in my garage are a lawnmower, leaf blower and chainsaw. Although I have to admit, the chainsaw fills a bit of my need to be manly, at a considerably lower cost than the 911 did.

So if you need to save up for a Boxster, maybe get a chainsaw in the interim? I recommend the Husquevana Rancher 460.
  • Hey Hab-Are you inferring to my pending purchase (550), with a chip installed I think I will be able to take you. :)
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Oh no, are we digitally drag racing again??

A new 911S scoots to 60 in 3.5 to 3.9 seconds depending upon who's holding the stopwatch. Couple of clicks faster than the M5.

But go ahead and get that 550i and chip. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger and order the new Cayman S. That should be a good race. As long as it's in a straight line.
  • 0-60 might be the worst reason to pick one car over another...

I'd take a minimally-optioned Cayman S stick-shift over a Nissan GT-R, and enjoy myself for another second on the way to 60 (and, save $25K...)

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• sweendogysweendogy Posts: 1,052
    Whatever happened to the down payment on that fisker ?

I would also agree the chainsaw is a manly tool- prob more so then a boxer –