Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,150
    edited December 2012
    yes, the luxury germans are ridiculous for options, no doubt.

However, I could be wrong, but I don't think it takes much to make it equal to a CRV. Its personal preference, but I'd rather have bmw pleather than honda leather. Granted, if those things matter to you, you have to add the cold weather pack for $700 and panoramic moonroof for $1250. Both wind up being better than the Honda (heated steering wheel and bigger moonroof), but you get the idea.

All in all, if it were my money, there is no doubt which way I'd go for about 15% higher msrp.

And, yes, a used car is ALWAYS a better buy, IMHO.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• flightnurseflightnurse 35K feetPosts: 1,590
    I remember seeing the X1 parked next to an X3 when we were out shopping, and the size difference, especially height, was striking.

Was it the current generation X3, which to me is the perfect size, smaller then the first Gen X5 but bigger then the first Gen X3. This is one car that has caught my eye... The next Gen X1 will be slightly smaller then the first Gen X3.
    Currently there is no 328 sport Wagon imported to the US, I haven't seen anything saying that it will be imported for 2013, Chandler BMW says the X3 has taken the place of it, which I think is a bad move for BMW. They sell every single one of the wagons, people who want a wagon do not want a SUV...
  • dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 3,475
    edited December 2012
    Yes, it will be - click on "Future Vehicles" on BMWs website.
    http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/allbmws/futurevehicleslanding.aspx
    At best, your dealer is misinformed, or he is trying to make a sale now rather than wait.

2012 BMW 328i wagon, manual and sports package. No. sold in the US: 1. Probably.

• sweendogysweendogy Posts: 1,108
    You agree with me- today must truly be the last day of the world.
    Enjoy the holiday season billy.

Flight yes car and driver also has an article talking up the new BMW sports wagon, should be here soon- dealers are crafty.

Crv x1 debate- look my wife has a maxed out 2011 ex with nav. Is it a lux car no, sporty (maybe for her) not, does it have power no. It's a basic civic with a couple more hp and a raised roof. Just drove it 300 miles today on a holiday trip- it does the basics well- and we paid 25,5 all in (MsRP was 31k) - and financed it at 0.9%. It's good for what it is. The BMW should be more money - it's a lix brand and has more of everything - except that more costs a lot more because its a BMW. One thing it prob couldn't match (besides £) is room. I don't have the specs in front of me but you should see all the Sh-t I Jamed into that sucker and got 27mpg.
    Hey Dino, at the time I was told, BMW had not announced the 3 series wagon, I had read an article that BMW was on the fence when it came to the wagon. I'm hoping to see the Diesel in the wagon, that would be a great car.
    One thing it prob couldn't match (besides £) is room. I don't have the specs in front of me but you should see all the Sh-t I Jamed into that sucker and got 27mpg.

The X1 is smaller then the CRX. The current X1 should not have been imported as it was a mid-cycle refresh in Europe and so we go it. As I stated before, Rick had a Rogue and the X1 was small then his Rogue. Was too had to justify 38K for a RWD X1 that was smaller than what Rick currently drove. For what it is worth, Rick's was a FWD and he averaged 26.4 combined in it. We don't know what he would have gotten on the trip since in the whole 5 years of ownership we never took it out of PHX
  • sweendogysweendogy Posts: 1,108
    It saddens me to post this but being an objective poster I must express my disappointment in the brand I own, and once loved. We all know the next G is coming soon- but after reading this its no longer a G.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/infiniti-unexpectedly-changing-all-model-names-to-q- -qx-for-2014-confirms-new-range-topping-sedan/

Am I missing the point of this- or is it clearly stupid.
    At the LA Auto Show I heard something of this, but didn't pursue it as I was under the weather. I'm not too sure why Infiniti err Nissan made this move. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,415
    Thanks for posting that link sweendogy. I don't know why they (auto makers) do this? Change for the sake of change?

I know we've gone through this before, but if you are doing alpha numerical names for your cars, do it right please! Infiniti (today) G37 = G w/ 3.7L engine is the right way to do it.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

I know we've gone through this before, but if you are doing alpha numerical names for your cars, do it right please! Infiniti (today) G37 = G w/ 3.7L engine is the right way to do it.

IF this was true, then BMW has it all wrong... 328i has a 2L, X3 28i again has a 2L. 550i has a 4.4L and so forth.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,671
    Do they think it denotes Quality?

Or, is it because no one else uses that letter?

Makes me think of the Aztecs (Quetzlcoatl).. or is that the Incans? :confuse:

Should have picked A.... or V... anything but Q

I mean... Y? ;)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

BMW has it ALL wrong. Since all the cars are turbo now, they should be:

320i, 330i
    X3 2.0, X3 3.0
    520i, 530i, 545i (even if its a 4.4)
    X5 3.0, X5 4.5
    730i, 745i...

MB mostly has it right (Except for the C300 4Matic which is actually powered by a 3.5L V6).

Audi does it mostly ok, except for designating their Supercharged cars with a "T."

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,577
    edited December 2012
    Do they think it denotes Quality?
    Or, is it because no one else uses that letter?

Ahem.....what about the Audi Q3, Q5 and Q7 ?

I guess, de Nysschen took it with him from Audi.
  • dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 3,475
    Well, using your key, C250 should also be called C180.

BMWs naming convention is done on purpose. It is based on what a benchmark naturally aspirated engine should be to match its power. In other words, 328 has 2 liter turbo that has power similar to what a 2.8 liter NA engine could be tuned to, 335 has 3 liter turbo that a 3.5 liter NA engine, etc.

2012 BMW 328i wagon, manual and sports package. No. sold in the US: 1. Probably.

• carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,577
    edited December 2012
    Or, that the consumer/enthusiast has become accustomed to the number model like one would be to a name like (gulp), Malibu.
    Good to know. I didn't know there was any sort of method to BMW's madness.

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,744
    BMWs naming convention is done on purpose. It is based on what a benchmark naturally aspirated engine should be to match its power.

Nah - the convention is strictly for marketing purposes so buyers don't feel penis envy when "non" BMW enthusiasts see 320 vs a 328 look down upon their lowly 2.0.
    Ahem.....what about the Audi Q3, Q5 and Q7 ?

Oh yeah... so... now I really don't get it... ;)

strictly for marketing purposes so buyers don't feel penis envy

This.. :)

BMW model designations used to make sense.. but, then too many engine choices, marketing attached to certain models, and it all got too complicated to keep it strictly correct.... Now, bigger numbers are faster and more expensive... .that's all you need to know (except for Ms, and every other Tuesday)