Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• sweendogysweendogy Posts: 1,106
    Funny but a loaded ford focus could have a boatload more tech then a 180 hp BMW- and also be cheaper and very close in performance -

Shark has been jumped -
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    edited January 2013
    I didn't disagree that Dinan is one of the best, most reputable tuners around. And they can be a relatively good bang for the buck in performance. I simply restated what they stated on their website: asking more out of a smaller engine will besult in more engine wear. So my take is that somebody that is very performance minded, goes to the track on occasion or regularly and doesn't care about shaving some life off the second 100,000 miles on the engine, the Dinan option is a viable one. But for those that are counting on the car being a daily driver for 8-10 years and do not want to take the risk of Dian's admittedly increased engine wear, might think twice.

I have a friend who took his 996 Turbo to over 600hp/650 ft lbs at the wheels through a Porsche approved tuner as well. The car has been timed at under 10 seconds in the quarter mile, putting him a few tenths and a couple million dollars ahead of a Bugatti Veyron, so yes, I understand the economics. I just still don't see you acknowledging the increased engine wear factor - whether or not that is of importance to you, it will be to many.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,140
    oh, if I get one, it for sure will be used.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,393
    You had to say "I told you so?" :P

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,393
    You probably could have sold your wife on that used X3, if she didn't test drive her RDX.

I've never bought used before (for a daily driver/primary car), but if my next ride is a BMW (whether I buy out my lease at the end or buy a lower mileage E90), I'm going to dip into the used market.

I LOVE my 328xi! It is truly a fantastic car that suits my needs perfectly.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,613
    If I buy a coupe, I can go as late as 2012 on a BMW, and still get the straight six.... So.... buy one of those in 2016 and drive it for six years... that gets me to 64 yrs old...

So, I'm not worried about the 4-cyl turbos..... :blush:

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    That's the way to look at it!

Sad though...the public doesn't care, but the I-6 will be missed by enthusiasts forever. Just like the 993 is the last great Porsche 911, someday the E90/92 will be considered the last great 3 series.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Sad though...the public doesn't care, but the I-6 will be missed by enthusiasts forever. Just like the 993 is the last great Porsche 911, someday the E90/92 will be considered the last great 3 series.

You sound a bit like the BMW track instructors I met when I picked up our X5d at the Performance Delivery Center in Spartanburg. They are not looking forward to the new M3, twin/triple/quadruple turbo 6, more power and better mpg notwithstanding. There is something about the visceral feel of an 8,400 rpm naturally aspirated V8 that they don't want to see lost. They view the M5 similarly.

Like the fans said when Johnny Damon left Boston for New York. No beard, no hair, no soul. Still a great ballplayer, but not the same.
    I might have had her on the X3, but she really wanted new and the one we saw had some scratches on the interior console or some such. Nitpicking, but she really wanted brand new. She also noted that it had about the same miles as her Odyssey, so what was the point? The point of course was I could get a slightly used 3 series too, but that was not for her!

and if I get used in the next few years, it would be a 6 cyl. especially from what I have read about the start/stop feature.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,092
    kyfdx....I've got a cherry '11 335 ix Coupe with the Performance Pack. It has your name written all over it, if you can wait 18 months-2 years.

Fact is, looking at the reports from the various car shows, there's not one thing I'd want (well maybe the '14 'vette, or the BMW 4 series) instead of the vehicles already in my garage.

Even the newer models coming out leave me cold. Infiniti needs a big shot of refinement. Cadillac needs to dump their CUE system. I'll hold judgement on Acura until they unveil the new TLX).
  • flightnurseflightnurse 35K feetPosts: 1,590
    Funny but a loaded ford focus could have a boatload more tech then a 180 hp BMW- and also be cheaper and very close in performance -

A VW GTi makes less HP then the Focus, yet is faster...

The Fouse ST is an interesting car, however, it is slow for making 252hp. The same thing can be said about the Mazdaspeed 3.
    I simply restated what they stated on their website: asking more out of a smaller engine will besult in more engine wear. So my take is that somebody that is very performance minded, goes to the track on occasion or regularly and doesn't care about shaving some life off the second 100,000 miles on the engine, the Dinan option is a viable one. But for those that are counting on the car being a daily driver for 8-10 years and do not want to take the risk of Dian's admittedly increased engine wear, might think twice.

I was one point shy of earning my DINAN badge with my 330, not one problem did I have with the car, I wasn't the easiest on it, whether on the track or street, granted I didn't have 100K miles on it but it was 7 years old. The engines today that are build as turbos wont self-destruct like engines 20 years ago.

There is always a risk when added more boost to an engine than what the manufacture had planned. This is why people need to reframe from increasing the boost too high, there is a fine line between power and reliability.
  • I would have to pick the acura over the other cars. I currently drive an 11 Genesis sedan but, also own a 2000 Acura 3.2 tl. I bought the Acura new in 2000 and currently have 235k on the odometer. This vehicle has been strictly maintained by the Acura dealer and still runs as well as the day I bought it. I have had no major issues with the car. I have all the necessary services performed and the oil changed every 5k miles. Only downside to the Acura is that it run on premium fuel. Other than that, it is a very good car. This car is still quick and will outrun and outperform a lot of cars. Resale value is also very good on Acura's.
    Your responding to a post from aug 2011, wonder if that cat has decided yet?
    I have a 2000 3.2TL also, but with "only" 167K on it. and like you, always dealer maintained, and nothing major (knock wood), just stuff like an alternator. Still runs very well.

oh, and it has always been run just fine on mid-grade. Did not like regular, but no difference between mid and premium that we could ever tell.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,236
    edited January 2013
    . . . wonder if that cat has decided yet?

Well, here's the thing: in the post I stated that I'd bought an Acura TSX and was pretty pleased with it. Still am. Wow; "cat?" Were you alive and well in the '50s? I was, but I'm an old fart; didn't think you were.

Today we drove our Pathfinder down from Forest Lakes, and it performed flawlessly, as always. It's a truck, and its truck engine is not to be slighted. We've got nearly 130K miles on it, and it's running strong. However, putting this engine in a "sport sedan" is questionable, IMNHO.

My TSX is going to hit 70K very shortly -- has needed almost nothing and runs very well.

Sometimes those old posts were made by people who still monitor Edmunds regularly -- not often, but it does happen.
    Was not a seed yet in the 50s- and good to hear the old TsX is holding up well- Honda does make good cars, most people who I'm related to all have Hondas and they seem to be very happy with them- my wife's crv has been very good as well.

If that "cats" still waiting a year and a half to decide what car to get- his TL has just rolled 300k miles.
    Opps, I was wrong,
    edited January 2013
    Yep not the first time - understand the BMW love but let's be real, one time. Love opinions but have to be fact based- leasing numbers, o-60 times, pricing, transmission talk - it's black and white. Can't wait to meet you at the 5 guys near Jacob Jarvis march 29th.