Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 3,475
    edited March 2013
    It still would if you got 25% gas mileage and resale value was high. If diesel gives you only 10-15% gas mileage boost, not so much. Also, some ELLPS (not many) may not require premium gas, which would make needed differential even higher.

2012 BMW 328i wagon, manual and sports package. No. sold in the US: 1. Probably.

• albert72albert72 Posts: 141
    check out this link - the new diesel engines are vastly more complicated than the old school MB diesels.

Crunch the numbers, ie greater cost to buy, greater cost of fuel vs increased mpg. Also try to figure out incremental cost to maintain. Depending on how much you drive and the % of city vs highway, it could be 8 years to breakeven and in that amount of time, a lot can happen regarding fuel prices, disparity in price between gas and diesel and of course, drivetrain technology and improved mpg.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/DPF-Adblue-FAQ-VW-Audi.htm
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,593
    I wonder if the AMG version of the CLA is also a Front-wheel driver. It's generally agreed that 200-225 hp is the practical upper limit for FWD. 300HP would be wasted in such an application and result in either excessive wheelspin or constant intervention on the part of electronic traction control.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• scwmcanscwmcan Niagara, CanadaPosts: 393
    I am pretty sure (95%) that it is AWD
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,413
    The AMG version of the CLA will be 4Matic AWD.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,100
    andy...I think it's based on a FWD platform with a Haldex AWD addition.

Pretty interesting performance at a pretty good price point. Like the looks, too.
  • flightnurseflightnurse 35K feetPosts: 1,590
    VW will be bring over TDI version of their Tiguan for 2014, as well as the Audi Q5. Audi has been importing their A3 in a TDI and Quattro for some time. The combined MPG has been in the high 20's to low 30's.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,952
    There are many FWD cars with 270-310 hp and I don't think the conditions you describe are that common or much of a problem.
    Graphic, if your car gets 28 on the high and the diesel gets 39 on the highway, that $8 difference goes away very quickly (BTW the 39 on the high is the low side.)

580 miles per tank for PU
    780 miles per tank for Diesel
    Dino MB is moving away from the Urea Injection finally, BMW will be doing that too. Audi and VW never used it. The Chevy Curze and Mazda 6 wont be needed it either. So this extra maintenance is null issue.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,593
    There are many FWD cars with 270-310 hp and I don't think the conditions you describe are that common or much of a problem

I used to own a 225 hp '91 Taurus SHO and I can tell you it was close to the limit of what I'd want in a FWD car. I'm quite unaware of "many" FWDs with that kind of power, the only one I can think of is the current SHO, not exactly a hot seller.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• m6userm6user Posts: 2,952
    edited March 2013
    Don't know where you've been but any late model Accord V-6, Camry V-6, Mazda- V-6, Passat V-6, Impala V-6, Malibu V-6, Acura TL, Buick LaCrosse V-6, Hyundai and Kia turbo 4s, Altima V-6. There are probably others. All of these have around 270 to 300+ HP and all are FWD. I've driven several of them aggressively and as long as the tires are good and the road is dry they do just fine. They are heavier than your early SHO of course but they probably would give that Yamaha engine in your SHO a good race.
  • scwmcanscwmcan Niagara, CanadaPosts: 393
    And the current who is AWD
  • sweendogysweendogy Posts: 1,108
    edited April 2013
    While I agree fwd and sport do not always go together modern rigs have computers, better tires, power assisted steering and steer by wire systems that help reduce torque steer. Great example of technology is the new focus St- this is a real deal sporty car that is fwd. (go ford).

Ford ShO 91, loved that car.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    edited April 2013
    While I agree fwd and sport do not always go together modern rigs have computers, better tires, power assisted steering and steer by wire systems that help reduce torque steer.

VW has an excellent sport front driver, GTI. BMW's front driver is renown for its handling.

Decades ago in road rally races in Europe, some of the best performing vehicles were front drivers such as Saab and Mini Cooper.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,496
    'BMW's front driver is renown for its handling. '
    Huh?
    What did I miss here?
    - Ray
    Driving a RWD BMW...
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,671
    MINI Cooper....

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• sweendogysweendogy Posts: 1,108
    That's why I said "don't always go together" - plus mentioned the ford st.
  • pv2pv2 Posts: 37
    At the limit, RWD trumps FWD, but having had 2 BMW 3 series coupes with sport pkg., I'm now driving a 2007 Acura TL Type S and have enjoyed its handling since new.