Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• I understand what you are saying, but my "what if" happens everyday. I prefer to use the van on long drives or when there is lot of cargo to hold. On regular basis I would like to use the sedan.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,575
    someone over on the Accord thread just posted about how much they love their new Accord V6, and compared it to an ES. Pretty much all the features, and 12K less. and a big back seat.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,096
    Understood

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,096
    I don't know if I told you or not Dino, but they had an F3X 328i wagon at the ny auto show in (I think) deep sea blue, & it was drop dead gorgeous. By far my favorite looker of the F30 line.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 6,892
    ilexus....thanks for sharing your impressions.

first time BMW drivers usually have the same impression as you.

Do yourself a favor and test drive an Audi A4 and an Acura TL, too.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,652
    Since your passengers are kids, not adults, legroom is not as critical

I find the opposite...when kids are sitting in a forward facing seat (booster, etc) their little feet stick straight out...marking up the previously beautiful seat backs. Maybe not legroom...but seat depth would help...or really really short seats so their legs could bend :)
  • dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 3,427
    Yeah, it does look nice on pictures. Deep sea blue is also color of my E91 (BTW, the new one has letter code F31). Funny it was my third choice (crimson red was first, le mans blue was second, but neither was available, as they discountinued red for that last year and le mans blue required M-package, well over 1 grand extra, which I did not order). Yet, when I saw it on the platform in Munich and ever since, I thought it can't be better. The only true downside of it, it is a dust magnet, especially in the back. Just like black, if not more. My previous red STI and blue WRX did not require as much cosmetic attention, as this one.

2012 BMW 328i wagon, manual and sports package. No. sold in the US: 1. Probably.

Did not think of that, you make sense. So it seems for kids out of the booster seat the backseat space is not an issue, but yeah, I see your point on the real young ones.

2012 BMW 328i wagon, manual and sports package. No. sold in the US: 1. Probably.

Didn't Accord just get smaller in this generation?

BTW, it must be top of the line, because that rental from Hertz I drove (I was surprised myself that Honda sold a rental car) was unimpressive to say it charitably.

• andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,278
    What he means is a car is not its options that come standard.

A car is the chassis, suspension, interior and exterior materials and finishes, engineering, design, looks, handling, power, performance, Gas mileage, and refinement.

Some people buy bells, whistles, gadgets, and doo-dads. Some people buy the car. I'm in the latter group. After all, I got an Audi with just 2 options, DSG transmission, and Sport Package (admittedly that includes like 3 or 4 things).

You can add a million gadgets and options to a cheap car, it's still a cheap car with a lot of content.
  • flightnurseflightnurse at 35K feetPosts: 1,523
    Have you thought about the Hyundai Genesis? It's probably in same price point as the LS or C but will give you GS/5/E amenities.

Stop telling people about the Genesis!
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,599
    Stop telling people about the Genesis!

Did I do something wrong? I can't recall suggesting the Genesis over and over....

:confuse:

Or am I missing a joke?
    Already have one. Need a sedan that can sit 5 comfortably. Currently have a Camry and it does the job well.

So define comfortably. Having 3 kids in the back wont last long in the comfort department, even if you buy a LS, so maybe looking at a 7 passenger SUV is your best option.
    I like stuff. I like equipment. It's just not everything. I was always complaining about Subaru witholding some high end options from their WRX line (e.g. HID lights were not available, except STI for three generations). BMW forces people to buy some nice or even basic stuff for extra charge. Split fold-down seats, which is my pet peeve, was not standard on 328/335 sedan until this year. It is still not standard on 320i. That is purely ridiculous. However, just because Kia has more standard equipment than BMW, it is not automatically "more car". Moreover, BMW seems to be getting away with their pricing practice.

I also agree with somebody's comment that F30 is a final goodbye kiss to the enthusiasts and final embracement of "badge shopping". It was present already in E9x version (as much as it pains me to say), I think E3x was the pinnacle of BMWs enthusiast sedan engineering. From there it got progressively softer and bigger.

I think their hand was partially forced by nanny states, both here and across the Ocean (gas mileage limits, safety standards, etc.). I think they also decided that they can afford more decisive "badge" move simply because the enthusiasts have nowhere else to go. So they may lose a few, but they gain all those hords coming to the showroom and saying "it's a nice car, but legroom is too small, suspension too hard, gas mileage too low". Those people would not know cornering from corner ring. They think Ford Expedition was fun to drive. However, they are majority, so BMW simply obligued. :cry:

the one thing that the wagon won't have happens to be the key issue. Back seat width.

So what sedan can he buy that will be wide enough to handle two booster and a kid in the middle (I would hate to be that middle kid), I would assume that when the whole family goes out together, they take the mini van and hot the sedan...
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,652
    2013 Avalon...2014 Impala...the current "Big" cars...maybe the new CTS in this ELLPS category.

I would just go buy the 'smaller' booster seats and get the car I want :) But I understand wanting to 'tame the beasts' in the back seat...
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130418/AUTO0103/304180390/1121/auto01/New-C- hevy-Cruze-diesel-gets-46-mpg-on-highway

I know this is going to send some people into orbit, but I figured that this is the start of the diesel invasion. The interesting thing is, as the diesel engine breaks in, MPG will increase, so in theory higher MPG is not out of the question.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    I would happily buy a diesel economy car, luxury car, utility vehicle, etc. but not a sports car. Like an automatic transmission, having a 4K redline just sucks fun out of the driving experience.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,476
    edited April 2013
    If BMW puts this motor in a 5-series & sells it here
    [ for a reasonable price ]
    I would be interested....
    'Featuring the newly developed tri-turbo 3.0-liter six-cylinder in-line diesel engine, the M550d is rated at 381 HP (280 kW / 375 bhp) between 4,000 - 4,400 rpm. But the real eye-popper is the maximum torque figure of 740 Nm (546 lb-ft) available at a relatively low 2,000 - 3,000 rpm. Redline is 5,400 rpm.

The result is a 0-100 km/h time of 4.7 seconds making it possibly the fastest diesel sedan on the market. Check out the video to see the speedo/tachometer shot of Gebhardt's 0-250 km/h (155 mph) test.

Starting price in Germany for the M550d xDrive is 80,800 euro. Compared to the BMW M5 which starts at 102,700 euro, the M550d could be a viable alternative for those looking for a little more value and efficiency (6.3L/100km ; 44.8 mpg imp) as well as a less aggressive super sedan image.'
    - http://www.worldcarfans.com/112022141431/bmw-m550d-xdrive-0-250-kmh-test-by-spor- - t-auto

- Ray
    Would NOT be an 'Entry Level' Sedan....
    Ditto. I think it sucks much more than modern automatics (they made huge progress).

Notice where diesel was used in racing - 24 hr endurance. Surely not for its dynamic properties, acceleration, speed. It was plain and simple mathematics - reduce number of pitstops and you can go slower on the course. So they did.