Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• flightnurseflightnurse at 35K feetPosts: 1,524
    0–30 MPH 1.8 sec 2.1 sec 2.0 sec
    0–60 MPH 4.6 sec 5.6 sec 5.6 sec
    0–100 MPH 11.8 sec 13.8 sec 13.5 sec
    0–130 MPH 21.8 sec 26.2 sec 25.9 sec
    ¼-MILE @ MPH 13.3 sec @ 105 14.2 sec @ 101 14.0 sec @ 102
    ROLLING START, 5–60 MPH 5.5 sec 5.8 sec 6.2 sec
    TOP GEAR, 30–50 MPH 2.8 sec 3.1 sec 3.2 sec
    TOP GEAR, 50–70 MPH 3.2 sec 3.9 sec 3.9 sec

Interesting that the BMW was considerably faster then both cars (really no contest) and only lost by 1 point... So in real world driving, what matters? Quicker acceleration or better handling at the limits?
  • sweendogysweendogy Posts: 1,052
    Didn't really get down to the numbers - I think in the real word a lot would have to do more with $$$ then anything else. Most Lexi and BMW would leave the show room in lesser engine form due to current lease rates - I thought the article was unique because bmw lost.
    The people looking at this cars, aren't going to sweat the $$ much. BTW, BMW lost by 1 point, not much of a different really.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,477
    http://www.edmunds.com/infiniti/q50/2014/road-test.html
    Run-flats?
    Really?
    One of the things I really dislike about my 3 is
    the run-flats...
    - Ray
    Disappointed .....
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,128
    Ray

If you don't like em, change em. I know your lease is up soon, but I just put a set of Michelin MXM Primacy ZP (zero pressure) tires on my 328xi & they do everything the stock Continentals do, only better. Oh, and they were cheaper! I did a small write up on CCBA.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

Agree - boo -
    Ray, infiniti is trying their best be like BMW...
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,477
    Ray, infiniti is trying their best be like BMW...
    Apparently...
    - Ray
    Don't mind if they offer the Run Flats as an option, but .....
    Yes they have been trying to mimic BMW for some time now flight- that's why when you mention no one looking at these cars care about pricing - you are wrong. Price matters -
    Sweeny if your comment was right, then BMW, Audi and MB would be lowering their prices, that isn't happening. There will always be the one who have a beer budget but want to live the champagne lifestyle. There are plenty of people out there that can afford the price of entry into a 335i. If inifiniti was so successful in the ELPS why did they abandon the all might G37 for the new (really dumb name) Q50? If price really matters then wouldn't infiniti have stayed with the G37?
    Back in the flight zone- Infiniti costs less then Audi and BMW because they are not Audi and BMW - if they had the cashe the would up prices- so they (lex and others included) have to undercut to get sales.
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,702
    Sweeny if your comment was right, then BMW, Audi and MB would be lowering their prices, that isn't happening.

People care about price and Apple isn't lowering its prices, either. There is always a segment of the population wiling to pay. Market share sells more cars but doesn't necessarily make more money, as GM can tell you.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 6,925
    Don't know if it's a harbinger of what's to come, but I received an ad from an Infiniti dealer yesterday. Apparently the Q50s have just hit their lot and they're already offering a $1,250 discount.
  • littlejoe613littlejoe613 Posts: 53
    edited July 2013
    Don't think Infiniti is trying to be BMW...Why would they want the stigma of being the lux car that you have to trade in or sell before 50k miles due to its inferior reliability and higher maintenance cost. I am sure Infiniti owners don't rush to sell at 50k. Just sayin'
    We all have our opinion now don't we, but if people lease cars for 3 yrs and have 12K/yr then those cars would have less then 50K on them. Not too sure if there is a correlation between when a lease ends and the 50K you mention.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,284
    I've been cross shopping these 2 models.

If the difference was 10K dollars, hands down, the Audi wins. The real world difference seems to be around $15K right now though; decisions decisions.
  • mrminsky1mrminsky1 Posts: 23
    edited August 2013
    Reviving this a little because I just bought a TL Special Edition after leasing a 2010 G37 Sedan..... I am aware of Acura highly discounting the vehicle because of the lack of sales and appeal. The TL is a gift for what is being sold for when comparing it to the competition and as wise of a consumer that I am , I happily bought one after comparing all the others. I remember hating the 2009 version when it first came out. Yet, I think they did a great job with the latest model. I think the car is extremely attractive and if anything, it is different to all the cars on the road. Everyhing else look like Sonatas to me. Seriously, I can't tell the difference between a new Sonata and everything else out there. The Lexus ES350 and the GS350 look the same and they look like Sonatas. The Sonata and the Azera look the same. The new Q50 looks like a Sonata from behind. The Mazda 6 looks like a Fusion which looks like a Sonata except for the front grill. All the Buicks look alike and they all look like Sonatas. With the exception of Cadillac and BMW, everything else look like Sonatas

Granted the TL is different and it looks different. I think it is attractive and the interior is nicer than anything I have seen. I like the buttons myself for the same reasons I hate touch screens and mouses. I like the cockpit feel of the car and I love the seats.

I drove pretty much every 4 door sedan and I can honestly tell you that YES, some cars did a better job in certain areas than the TL and some no so great. Looks are very subjective and to each his own. One thing that can't be denied is the value this car offers when compare to others.

I test drove the BMW and AUDI and I am still trying to figure why so many people buy their cars when you consider price and reliability, Trust me , I once I had to bite as well and I learned my lesson well. Having a cup of coffee at the dealership while getting my car fix is not my thing or at least not every other month.

Now getting back to the G37 versus the TL. Well Totally different cars. My G37 was a lot of fun to drive and very reliable. Having said that , the G was smaller and the gas mileage was very poor. If there was one thing that bothered me throughout my ownership was the smell of the AC and the quality of the paint (Google both!) Nothing could cure the smell of mildew on my G. Tried everything including changing filters, spraying stuff, cleaning the AC vents and pan. Nothing! It really sucked and my wife hated getting in my car during the warmer months here in Atlanta. Yet, I still loved driving my G. Excellent car! The TL on the other hand is a larger car and perhaps and a little smoother. I did purchase the Special Edition version which comes with the larger 18 tires which tend to give you a little better grip with a little more of a sportier ride. The Car looks awesome with this new package. But it DOES NOT drive anything like the G. They are different and they should be different. If anyone wants a true sports sedan, the G37 would be the better choice. The TL works for me for different reasons. It is larger, it offers a good compromise between my old G and say a softer ES350. Slightly better gas mileage, more comfortable interior (and nicer) , and an incredible value for what it is....................

By the end of the day, both are great reliable cars which will give you years of true driving pleasure. If you are into resale value, the TL will hold its value better. Both of these cars can be had in the very low $30's depending on the trim level....and they are both deals. But to each his own.
    Hate to admit - and I'm a g fan- they want to be bmw- all the cars on the list want to be. Bmw is the best at rolling people into underpowered automatic 328 at nice lease prices - then higher hp lower priced Japanese and American rivals- then selling those underpowered and less tech savy used cars as cpo because they were all serviced under the "free" oil change program. It's a great model to follow and Infiniti Lexus and the like wish they had it so good like the German standards.
  • Owned a 5 series and traded it at 45K miles. Owned an A6 and traded it at 47K miles. Took the new BMW328 on a test drive and it has to be the most overpriced car on earth. Every time I came to a stop, the car would shut off. WHAT? $46K WHAT? The G is a better car that any of these 3 series (old and new) when you account for the overall package and reliability. I am sure the Q50 will be too. I will take a Q50 over the 328 any day.