Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• flightnurseflightnurse 35K feetPosts: 1,590
    Mark I too took part in the same event, was able to drive some cool BMWs, this is where I fell in love with the 550. I liked the fact that no salesman was with you while driving the car but they had a "plan" route for you to take. BMW severed their relations with SGK and Ford pick it up for one year. AS you pointed out it was a great way to drive BMWs...
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,744
    Yeah.. the whole flap with Planned Parenthood put the kibosh on that deal, I think... It almost killed the Komen organization...

From what I found, BMW stopped the program back in 2010 - cut backs in marketing expenses due to the recession. The Planned Parenthood - Komen fiasco was 2012.
    BMW severed their relationship with SGK before the whole planned parent hood debacle. I had my own issues with SGK, just a tib bit, before a participant could do the 3 day walk, they HAD to raise a min of $2500... Which I thought was very unfair. There were other issues I had with the organization as a whole their corporate (politics) leaned towards women which I was not happy since men can get breast cancer too. I think BMW did the right thing to distance themselves from SGK... Now back to our typical of why we by the cars we do.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,325
    I preferred the S4 over the TL -SH-AWD model, but one of the biggest was just simply that I preferred the looks and styling of the S4 inside and out to the plain Jane TL.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,744
    ...just a tib bit, before a participant could do the 3 day walk, they HAD to raise a min of $2500...

Many fundraising events like the 3 Day have minimum commitments for fundraising. Here in MA, there is a biking event called the Pan Mass Challenge which raises money for the Jimmy Fund at the Dana Farber Cancer Institute in Boston. It's a two day 110 mile ride and one must raise or commit to paying $4300 to participate - it goes to $5000 if you register late (there are shorter rides with lower fund raising commitments). They were the first charity event to have participants give them a credit card at registration. The founder isn't shy about it - trying to raise the amount isn't good enough.

Yet they get 5000 people regularly and have a goal of $38 million this year.

Part of having a minimum amount is to make sure participants are committed. It's a logistical nightmare to coordinate support for 5000 people over 110 miles. If people sign up and then drop out, they have too many resources. If too many people raise too little money, then the event might not make money.
  • Same message in Motor Trend comparo of the Q50 to the IS -- Infiniti just can't get no love.
    On the other hand -- if Infiniti continues its practice of seriously subventing leases [on the Q50] -- the Q50 so priced per month, could be a value buy. The thing is the Q50 is still in the league that it is being compared with (and losing.)

I drove it (the Q), and yes I liked the IS more, but for a $120/month differential for 36 months with no money down, the Q50 could prove to be a good seller, good value, and selling well enough to allow the '15 or '16 to work out some of the complaints presented by the pros and amateurs (like us).

In any case, as I have said previously, Johan has his work cut out for him. Better tackle the M sooner rather than later, too. Of course only changing the name of the FX to QX70 seems a invite a sales slow-down there, too.

Of course, all of the above would seem to bode for increasingly more expensive IS prices.

Sheesh.

Drive it like you live.
  • sweendogysweendogy Posts: 1,107
    Reading that article has opened my eyes - the caddy of the group comment wow. Agree the new naming stratigy is a disaster and will Prob hurt them for a few years. Stupid if you ask me- every car is called Q because 20 years ago they had a car that started the brand.

Pricing and discounts will tell the story- if you can get a Q for 10-15k less then 335 its prob a good deal and like mark said lets hope they fix alot of the problems for 15.

Drive fast, take chances
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,663
    Strictly from an exterior perspective...the IS doesn't work for me.

It look similar to the outgoing model, except tweaked with ground effects from a trendy aftermarket company.

Perhaps side-by-side with the competition it holds it own...and the complete package may indeed put it in the #1 position; but with the "looks" disclaimer: it doesn't work for me.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,496
    Since the CTS is listed here:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-cadillac-cts-vsport-twin-turbo-v-6-test- -review

Also a review here on Edmunds...
    - Ray
    Not shopping in that zip code - today.
    Mark, styling goes a long way with people, I'm not a fan of the new look Lexus is going. It can win all the comparison test it can.

Any one of those cars would be a great daily driver, well maybe except the Lexus, just too ugly for me. It just come's to personal preference. FWIW here in Phoenix, you can lease a 2013 Q37 for $245/m for 36 months, with $2799 down and $399/m for a Q50 with the same down. So someone can lease a G37 for the same price as a Camry SE (at lease here in Phoenix.)
    Not that I'm a leasing guy - the stats provided about are interesting. Why is Infiniti keeping this G around another year at discounted pricing? Is it to claim a market share gain vs the big boys ? I don't get it. 150 bux diff a month is real money on a car you don't own anyway.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 790
    They've reduced the G37 lineup to just the RWD Journey and Base AWD models and they've cut the base price by $4,800 on both. So the G37 Journey RWD starts at $32,550 for 2014 compared to 2013's base price of $37,350! The only options available are the Premium Pkg (Leather, Moonroof, Bose) and Navigation Package.

With the G37 filling the low-mid-30k range, I'm willing to bet that finding a Q50 for less than $40k will be virtually impossible! They'lll market the Q50 as as a step (or half-step) above the G37...

Meanwhile, with the revised pricing, the 2014 G37 is a heck of a value despite being one of the oldest designs in the segment.
    G37 might be an old design but put it up against the old tL, the tsxthe Audi a4 2.0 or even the new BMW 320 and its a huge bargain agreed. Throw in a fancy lease lease rate and bam, market share. I still don't get it thou. Why confuse people more - every car will be a q right - but this ones a g. At these prices makes you wonder why one, a person looking for a performing sedan and a deal would consider anything else - that includes the new q
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,325
    The only reason to get a Q50 over a G37 is if you have to have a bunch of sensors and cameras to help you avoid accidents.

Disclaimer: I didn't bother checking out the interior of the Q50, so that might be another reason. I used to like the G37 interior.... back in like 2007, nowadays, it seems too NISSAN -LIKE.
    The interior of the G is Nissan like because its what Nissan took in later years from Infiniti, perfect example is gage cluster of maxima. I'm sure the Camry has Lexus like interior as well. Look the G is a 7 year old - it's not as modern as new cars but in function it all works very well- and given pricing its uber competitive.
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,737
    Seems like Infiniti is nowhere near a market leader in this segment.
    Thats like saying I like apples - what's the point you are making? Any value to go along or just a broad swipe with no real point?
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,737
    edited September 2013
    Thats like saying I like apples - what's the point you are making? Any value to go along or just a broad swipe with no real point?

I don't see Inifiniti given the market cachet of BMW, Audi, or MB. If the market thought they were as good they could be as high priced. Companies don't leave cash on the table for altruistic reasons.

Infiniti is sort of like the sport version of Lexus. Lexus is a boring reliable luxury make (although trying to break into sport). Infiniti is a reliable sporty make trying to get to where the leaders are. The G series is a bargain if you like pure sport almost as good as BMW but growlier engines and interiors not as nice as MB or Audi. They're sort of like the promising upstart teenager with loads of potential, but not all that refined yet.

I also haven't heard hardly any advertising about the new model, perhaps I'm not looking in the right place, lol.
  • dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 3,475
    New Q50 is advertised all the time. Two ads: one ad is "break from convention" with pretty young people on assembly line getting Benz or BMW and one guy breaking from that. The other one is about its new psychic feature, i.e. alleged ability to anticipate accidents two cars ahead.

2012 BMW 328i wagon, manual and sports package. No. sold in the US: 1. Probably.