Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• flightnurseflightnurse 35K feetPosts: 1,590
    Graphic who do you rent through? I only go through National since the company I work for has a contract with them. Two weeks ago I was in Burlington,VT, and rented a Volvo XC60, interesting SUV, no Impala's. But for the most part the bigger cities I arrive in have them now.

I'll write more on the 320 in the coming weeks, I need some seat time in it, I'll be on the road for the next 13 days.. I'm paying for the 13 days I had off.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,325
    I had a real estate agent once tell me that he never regretted or had buyer's remorse with real estate, since unlike cars, they don't depreciate right away. That was 2004.

Funny thing is I think my Condo out-depreciated my car in CA.

Of course, a home can last you 100 years (you could depreciate the purchase over 100 years), and the car perhaps only 10-15 years.
  • Mark I have to ask you this (not that I am getting personal), but dont you have around 18 months left on your TL lease?
    Are you that unsatisfied with the car that you are willing to eat those 18 months of payments?

Secondly, I disagree with your concepts of leasing/buying cars, I will not get into the nuts and bolts of it- I just disagree.
  • The situation with the TL is that I have 10 months left on the lease. At the lease's conclusion, my mileage situation means I would owe about $5,000 to walk away from Acura. Acura, unlike Infiniti, doesn't allow you to buy miles at lease inception at a discount. My wife bought 18K miles per year on her lease, I couldn't do that.

My TL is an SH-AWD advance -- and, after detailing it last week, it looks nearly new. Using three web-sites, plus CarFAX, I was able to determine that to abandon my lease will cost less than $2K today.

So I am going to be ding'd -- a little now vs a lot then. My plan, at this point is to consider buying the S4 off lease (I will have first right of refusal) with a CPO warranty and Audi Care to 100,000 miles. Audi does allow the purchase of additional miles after lease inception, but before the last 6 months of the lease.

As noted, we're thinking buying should not be completely discounted -- so we're taking the buy one rent one (and possibly buy later) approach since we've no experience with buying a car and find the concept almost foreign.

So, yep terminating the lease early will cost me, but not nearly as much as going to full term.

Your mileage may differ.

DILYL
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,407
    Congrats to you both on your new cars! Interesting we are going to have 3 S4s on the board here.

Mark - that S4 is a sick car. you are absolutely going to LOVE it! I'm sure your wife will love that super charged Q5 as well. Can't wait to hear your impressions.

flightnurse - I'm eager to hear what your thoughts are on the 320i being a former ZHP owner.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,407
    So mark, just curious. If you had kept your TL until the end of the lease, what is that car's residual?

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    edited October 2013
    I'll second NYC.

Congrats Mark and FN (I saw your pics :) ) on your new cars! Excellent choices all around!
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    I saw a Q50 on the way to work this morning. It was a metallic burgundy color and looked really nice. Whoever it was who said a few days ago that the Q50 looks better in person than in pictures was dead on. Its a really good looking car.
  • I cannot argue with you, its your money-Good luck with the S4.
    I will probably join the Audi Band Wagon in a couple of years... maybe sooner.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,069
    edited October 2013
    The Audi Prestige and Acura Advance pose at least one question I intellectually understand but "just don't seem right!"

The Prestige and Advance "configurations" from Audi and Acura seem to me to be a way to bundle virtually "everything" into one package. Indeed, the Acura Advance has no options that can be had, the Advance (over the technology package version) adds 19" wheels, heated and ventilated seats and blind spot monitoring.

The Prestige Audi adds a number of extras (on top of the next lower configuration, Premium+) and seems to offer the buyer a slightly better deal when purchased as part of the Prestige package. Although in the case of Audi, it is possible to add most of the Prestige features (for extra cost, of course) to the Premium+. In other words, if you wanted blind spot monitoring, you can tick off that option on a Premium+ version for $500 and NOT get the navigation system which comes standard with the Prestige version.

OK, now that I have tap danced around your question, I'll mention that the top of the line configurations have lower residuals than the "middle children."

We configured my wife's Q5 and my S4 by building up Premium+ models to have most of the Prestige's features which actually means that our residual % on Premium+ is higher than the maxed out contented Prestige models.

You may wonder why we researched the residual of the Q5 since we are buying it -- but the reason to know the residual has to do with knowing at least the possible value of the depreciating asset at various times during the financing contract. In other words, knowing the "residual" does allow us to have an understanding of when the car is no longer upside down. With the S4, the residual is important for obvious reasons, since it is leased. The S4 P+ has an attractive residual indeed which is, of course, a double edged sword.

The higher residual lowers the mo/pay but also raises the cost of buying the car off lease should we decide to go that route.

Now to answer your question:

My 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD Advance has a % residual $ amt = $24,509.85.

The MSRP was = $47,166.30. ~52% residual in other words.

DILYL
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,496
    Mark -
    Congrats - enjoy - and please post your
    [ typical ] very thorough impressions here?
    Thanks!
    - Ray
    Currently living through other people's experiences ...
  • sweendogysweendogy Posts: 1,107
    Property values will prob move higher on this swap as well- nice congrats
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,099
    FN....I rent cars through a military program as I do quite a bit of business with Lockheed and Boeing, and fall under their rates.

So, it's usually Hertz or Avis I rent through. I have to say that Avis is really falling down on their game....renting less and less from them this year.

I'm starting to rent a little more with Enterprise since they let me leave my rental car at the hotel where I'm staying and they'll come get it if I'm running late catching a flight and don't have time to go through the rental return process.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824
    My S.O.'s company has a deal with National, and he likes that (now that he's used to it) because if you're a frequent renter, you get to pick your vehicle. I think getting to drive a variety of cars is the only thing keeping him from getting the "new car bug" at home! They used to be with Hertz, and that was great for the "I don't have to talk to anyone" feature - just your name on the board, go to the slot, and your car is there with keys in it, ready to leave.

Avis - they have that as a choice, and it was their only before they added National. They were the clowns that gave him a Mazda2 as a midsize vehicle. The level of service went downhill from there.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,325
    I remember when Enterprise told me getting an Accord with a V6 would probably be a Premium level 2 car rental equivalent. It was then I knew that the categories rental car companies named don't make much sense in real life.
    edited October 2013
    Yeah...the whole "We try harder" ad campaign for Avis really doesn't fit them any more. It should be more like "We don't care".

I have a sneaky suspicion that they'll either merge with some other rental car company, or drastically remake their business model (no frills, no service car rental?) in the foreseeable future.

Back to ELLPS business...saw my first BMW 4 series in person yesterday. My local BMW dealer had one sitting out front as I was passing. Looks really good. I'm afraid to stop and get a closer look, as I'm in my "I'm tired of taking my car to the dealer for service" mood. That usually doesn't end well for whatever car I happen to be driving at the time. ;)
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,742
    I have a sneaky suspicion that they'll either merge with some other rental car company, or drastically remake their business model (no frills, no service car rental?) in the foreseeable future.

I don't think Avis is going anywhere. They recently bought ZipCar and will be expanding the hourly rental business.
    robr2....I know for many years I threw Avis a lot of business. Then, for no reason than I can ascertain, their "customer service" went down the drain. I only use them as a last result, now.

I'll have to try National to see if I can snag one of FN's beloved '14 Impalas.

Just read an article from one of the trade rags about the new CTS. Apparently, it's quite a nice car. But, the one they tested had the 3.6L V6 (same as in the Impala, I believe). And, all loaded up, it will kick open the $60K door.

While I've only seen pics, and just read about it, $60K+??????? I thought that price point was reserved for the blinged out Escalades. I'm still trying to justify 4 cyl (albeit tubo) BMW 3s for $50K.

I've also just read where Volvo is dumping all of its 5 cyl and 6 cyl engines starting in '15.

Will withhold judgement until I get some hands on experience, but I'm not liking this trend.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,742
    Just read an article from one of the trade rags about the new CTS. Apparently, it's quite a nice car. But, the one they tested had the 3.6L V6 (same as in the Impala, I believe). And, all loaded up, it will kick open the $60K door.

They both use the LFX motor but the CTS get slightly more HP and torques.

As for pricing, the CTS has moved up in size vis a vis the 5 series hence the bump in price. The 5 can hit $70K.
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 3,149
    The CTS VSport has the new twin turbo 3.6L with 410HP. That's the one that is nudging the $60K price point.

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT / 2010 Mazda CX-7 GT / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4
    Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews