Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,099
    Thanks, Ray.

NYC....I was thinking the exact same thing....just what I need...another iteration of a car I am keenly interested in.

Must walk away....must walk away......

;)
  • With a $3,000 price increase, BMW is taking the apples to oranges marketing plan.. and letting Audi and MB battle in the entry level sedans (CLA/A3).
    Since most family oriented buyers will like the size of the 3 series/a4 and those (younger buyers) seeking a smaller ride won't mind the smaller 2 coupe and may prefer it over the a3/cla, this maybe a good plan.

Regrettably, the last coupe I had was a 73 mustang and will wait for my midlife for a Stingray... so for a few years, hopefully I and you will be happy with the S4.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,742
    With a $3,000 price increase, BMW is taking the apples to oranges marketing plan.. and letting Audi and MB battle in the entry level sedans (CLA/A3).

Don't forget the new 1 series is going to be FWD/AWD and compete in the same market as the CLA/A3.
  • I thought that wasn't due until 2017 model... when all the dust would have settled by then... (by then Kate Upton might be over the hill and Usher will be on tour with Lionel Richie)
    Wait, did you say the Mustang would be FWD too ;p
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,069
    edited October 2013
    Quick take: 2014 S4 S-Tronic (333 HP 325 lb ft).

There must be some reason that Audi would understate the power of one (or more for all I know) of their engines. Maybe it is a tax thing in Germany. Whatever the reason, it seems to me that there is no way this car has only 333 HP and 325 lb ft.

I had heard that the 2.0T's power as it stands in the current A6 is understated (and I have driven the car and it does seem impossible that it is 220 HP motivating a car that big) and I read a test report of the S8 that wagged its finger at Audi for understating that engine, too, so I guess it must be an Audi practice to under-rate their engines.

Of course, other than for tax reasons (if that really is true), why would they do this? I recall that Acura (and others) had to restate the power of the RL's 3.7L V6 (to less than 300 HP), suggesting to me that most car companies would probably like to find a way to overstate the power numbers (HP measured at sea level on a cold day, for instance).

In any case, even with less than 1,000 miles on it, the S4 seems to have great, surprising, reserves of power -- perhaps sports car power. An RS version must be dangerous, if this S version is any indication.

Once again, I find myself wondering why the recent spate of car magazine sport sedan comparos doesn't include this car!?
  • flightnurseflightnurse 35K feetPosts: 1,590
    Mark when it comes to HP, the German's have always done it different. If you take the BMW 335i, the car makes 300hp and 300 lbs of torque, however, ifyou look at the times it run, there is no way that a 300hp car can run that fast, and dyno test have proven over and over again that it makes more power. Also the 7 spd DSG helps too. I also believe that engines today make power more efficiently then before. My 320i only makes 180hp and 200lbs of torque but the passing on the highway is effortless...
  • scwmcanscwmcan Niagara, CanadaPosts: 393
    As for why the magazines aren't testing the S4 with the others, it may have lost a comparision test with one of the others in the past, I am not sure how old the current A/S4 is. Also the may be justifying it by testing RWD performance sedans, maybe they will do an AWD test later ( not saying it is right, but might be their thinking). I think generally the first answer is the reason ( same reason the c-class isn't in the tests). That said I am sure the A/S4 is right up there with the others, and depending on what you are looking for may be the best.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,069
    edited October 2013
    Drove from Cincinnati to Columbus and back yesterday -- on the way back, crossed over to 1,000+ miles on the OD.

Well, for reasons I cannot imagine -- other than the fact that here in Ohio we have raised the top speed limit from 65 to 70mph (and EVERYBODY does limit+10 and lots do limit+20) -- I got in with a "pack" of cars cruising along between 85 and 90, and for the hell of it, I got in the left lane and punched it for just a couple of seconds: an indicated 101mph "just like that!" Poof.

I'm destined to get a ticket. Thank god for cruise control.

End note1: it must be the all season tires, but this is one of the quietest cars (even at speed) I have ever been in.

End note2: this is a 2014, yes? Yes. Why in the wide wide world of sports does the "iPhone/iPod adapter only have the iPhone 3, 4 and 4S "big" connector? I have a now outdated iPhone 5 and it uses the new "little" connector. The solution (and no charge) was for the dealer to give me an Audi connector that has a USB female plug on it. I take the 110 volt AC plug off of the cable, plug the USB male into the female and I at least have the ability to keep the iPhone charged. I don't seem to have any of the control or selection features I would have if I had an iPhone 4. This means, I turn on Bluetooth, plug in the USB, fire up the system and punch up whatever I want to listen to ON THE PHONE itself, then put the phone in the glove box and let whatever playlist I have selected run its course.

My "old" Acura TL worked perfectly and seemed way way better integrated with both my iPhone and my Kindle Fire (which I used to use for audio books; now I use an iPhone app to do the same thing.)

Endnote3: I got used to having the garage door opener work with the car turned off on the Acura, can't do it on the Audi. This means you have to close the garage door with the engine running -- I know it is only a few seconds, but with all the software controlled things the MMI permits/enables, you'd think there could be a menu item that lets you choose what will operate with the engine off. I know this is a picking of the nits, but there needs to be a software update to take care of some of the little things that shouldn't be on a nearly $57K car.

Overall, however, this thing is a blast!

More later.

Drive it like you live.
  • wco81wco81 Posts: 495
    I'm not a big car enthusiast. Back in 2006, I was reading these forums for Audi and BMW but in the end bought a Honda because I knew I wasn't going to be driving much -- the 7 year old Honda has just over 23k miles.

However, I'm thinking of getting something better and one thing that might drive my choice would be what kind of European Delivery program the manufacturer offers. Back 7 years ago, I think only BMW was doing ED and there were packages to drive through Switzerland and down into Italy, Lake Como to be specific.

The savings, with FOB originating in Munich, could result in a lease that saved you enough to pay for the trip to Germany (maybe not to tour around Europe though).

I see now that Mercedes and Audi are offering ED again.

So do these and the BMW ED programs still offer substantial savings on leases?

I still won't drive that much so I don't need a lot of miles per year but I'd at least start off with a good tour in Europe.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,168
    Volvo has a very good ED program. If you want to see Sweden, and want a Volvo.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

I got used to having the garage door opener work with the car turned off on the Acura, can't do it on the Audi. This means you have to close the garage door with the engine running...

Same thing in my VW. I attribute that to home protection. If you car is parked in the driveway, one can't just break into your car to open the garage door.
    My Honda's don't need the car on. I prefer that.

besides, if you have a garage to open, you should park the care in it!

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

besides, if you have a garage to open, you should park the care in it!

I totally agree but if you own 3 cars and have a two car garage......
    well, obvious answer, build a bigger garage.

anyway, if someone is going to break into your car they will just break into your house. Plus you could just lock the door into the house.

Plus you could just lock the door into the house.

Too many tools in the garage to help them break the lock....

"If it ain't one thing, it's another"
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,952
    It is safer from a security aspect to disable the opener unless one has the car key but it does make it a little inconvenient at times. If I had my choice I would probably like it NOT to work when the key is absent. Can't think of a many times where I used the Homelink without having the keys on me. In fact, I don't know if mine will work without the key or not...I'll have to check. I've got a fair amount of equipment and tools in the garage to steal, let alone have them available to break into the house in complete privacy from inside the garage.
    Mark, my 320 has 1200 miles on it most are by Rick, he had to go to Tucson for his Uncle's Funeral, on his way back he was pilled over for speeding. , he direct quote was, "I can not believe I was doing 80 the felt more like I was doing 60." He was given a warning. Whe I drove the car up to Prescott I too was surprised on how one has a hard time "feeling" the speed of the car, Ricks Genesis is the same way. As I wrote the engine has a Effortless about it when cruising on the highway that none of my other BMW's had. E46 built up the speed, as well as the E90 did. I keep hearing Rick mention how much he likes driving HIS BMW, maybe I can persuade him to trade his Genesis in and I can get the S5 I was looking at...
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,407
    Not sure if I gave you both the official congratulations & mazel Tov on your new rides! Best of luck to you both & use them well!

On my BMW, the car has to be on, but not running to open the garage door. When do I use this you ask? We only have 1 garage door opener, so on days I take my Prelude to work & we have a sitter watching the kids, I leave the opener for the sitter & use my BMW's home link to close the garage.

Robr2 - funny you should mention about "too many tools in the garage to break the lock." When we bought our house 3 years ago, we had an alarm installed. The guy was going over all of the features and he said something to the effect of: "and if you ever come home & someone jumps out of the bushes and pulls a knife on you, do this..."

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    "The E46 was and is today the best 3 series BMW built."

Sorry Flight, I just can't let that pass. Everybody knows that the E46 is the 2nd best 3-Series.

OK, back to our regularly scheduled discussion...
    So what is the best 3 series? Now I'm not talking about certain model, but overall 3 series, series.