Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,350
    edited January 20

So, would any of you buy a new Chinese-built BMW?

• stickguystickguy Posts: 13,588

@tifighter said: So, would any of you buy a new Chinese-built BMW?

I would not buy any car made in China.. But I bet a lot of people will without even realizing it at some point.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 3,432
    edited January 20

Would you buy Chinese-built Nike shoes? North Face parka?
    Would you buy Chinese-built iPad? Would you buy Chinese-built Kitchen Aid refrigerator? I don't know if any of those things are made in China right now (except iPad), but I bet they either used to before going to even cheaper place (like Vietnam or Bangladesh), or their close competitors are currently made in China.

BTW, I may be wrong, but I don't think BMW currently makes its cars in China - they make some specifically FOR Chinese market. They probably source some components (who doesn't?), I'm sure, but not so regarding cars themselves.

2012 BMW 328i wagon, manual and sports package. No. sold in the US: 1. Probably.

• MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,664

I would as long as BMW is in charge of building it, training the workers, setting up the work environment, and sourcing the critical parts.

• tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,350
    edited January 21

@dino001 I understand that most things are made in China. My question is would YOU buy a BMW made in China?

I posted an article above in which the head of Volvo says that Chinese-made Volvos will be exported to the US market soon. I think this, rightly or wrongly, could be an issue for Volvo and euro-brand buyers. Since the subsequent posts spoke of where BMW's were made, I modified it a bit to get a sense of reaction.

But the fact remains that Chinese-made Euro-branded cars are coming soon to the US. My question remains for everyone. BMW seems a favorite brand here; if the cars available at your dealer were Chinese-made, would you buy one?

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,019

I'd wait a while and let a few other buyers serve as beta testers...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,111

@MrShift@Edmunds and @roadburner

I agree with you. The cars won't be Chinese designed BMWs. All of the crucial parts will still be designed & manufactured elsewhere. BMW isnt going to allow cheap Chinese manufactured steel to be used in its chassis or cheap chinese aluminum to fabricate its engine blocks. The factories are becoming more and more automated. Maybe it will make the cars more affordable.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

edited January 21

@tifighter

My point was that if we accept other items made in China by upscale branded manufacturers, it is easy to imagine cars, too. The key is production control. If Sony, Nike, or others can do it, so could BMW, if they so desired. And yes, I would buy one, if I there was a good data supporting it was same quality.

2012 BMW 328i wagon, manual and sports package. No. sold in the US: 1. Probably.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,207

@stickguy said: My guess is a fair number of BMW buyers don't know which wheels drive the car and very few have a clue about where they are built.

Amen.

I would amend your statement to replace "buyers" with "drivers." Many/most lease.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,207
    edited January 21

I would buy a diesel-powered BMW with a manual transmission sold in North America, regardless of where it's put together. Oh, it should also have real tires and a dipstick.

Or, I could flap my arms and fly to the moon.

• m6userm6user Posts: 2,897

No. It would be only a short time before a substandard part procured locally would be too tempting to ignore because of a cheap price. How many babies have to die, dogs get poisoned, kids ingest lead paint from toys or drugs get tainted before we learn. I don't eat Ipads or depend on TVs to get me safely home so those aren't a problem. Cars I wouldn't trust and I don't forsee a time in my lifetime that China would change enough to change my mind.

• flightnurseflightnurse at 35K feetPosts: 1,524
    edited January 21

Here is an article on the new M235i enjoy

Here is a Video from Evo Mag with a M135i hatch and a 911 for the COTY, very entertaining.

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 6,897

Thanks FN. I concur with the article. The 1 series had a "funky" look about it. I actually looked at a 135 'vert before getting my last E92. Fun car, just couldn't get past how it looked like some sort of "botched" high school art class design.

I kind of wish I hadn't been in such a hurry to get my departed S4. I really wanted to at least test the M235i. I think it looks loads better than the 1, at least in pictures.

• dash5dash5 Posts: 417

@flightnurse said: Here is an article on the new M235i enjoy

Here is a Video from Evo Mag with a M135i hatch and a 911 for the COTY, very entertaining.

Haha that video... "there's been a death.."

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,019

As I've complained elsewhere, why can't BMW at least offer a limited-slip as a factory installed option on the M235i? My 1995 318ti has one- as does my Mazdaspeed 3 and the latest GTI. I guess I should be happy that RFTs have been ditched in favor of Pilot Super Sports

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

@cdnpinhead said: I would buy a diesel-powered BMW with a manual transmission sold in North America.

Why? I am a manual trasmission guy, my current and last three cars have had manual transmission, but diesel engine is probably LEAST fun and LEAST suitable with manual trasmission for a passenger car (it's a little different for towing vehicles and tractor trailers with 10-12 gear manuals used to crawl uphill or just maximize efficiency).

This holiday I drove again (just like last year) my dad's Audi A4 with 1.9 TDI and manual transmission (it has sports suspension, too) and it was not a fun car, not to me anyway. The reason? Simple - diesel powerband is so narrow and short that I had to constantly shift up and down even on straight roads (just slight speed variation made it uncomfortable, if the car was on wrong gear). Ramp merging was a bit less scary than last year (as I got used to it and learned a little), but nevertheless couldn't hold a candle to a nice gasoline engine of similar power (even lower torque), when you can keep your car on same gear up to 5K+ rpm and keep accelerating. Diesel nicely kicks the speed up, but then equally suddenly dies in the middle of the manouver making you shift at least comfortable moment and lose time/distance.

If there is one type of passenger car that I don't mind well spaced and timed multigear automatic (or CVT), it is exactly small diesel. I think people's wish to have MT diesel is simply misguided, based on what is not available and never tried. It almost feels like "because these evil people don't offer it, it must be good". ;)

• MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,664

I'd agree with that...a turbo diesel is more compatible with a good automatic in a passenger car.

@dino001 said: If there is one type of passenger car that I don't mind well spaced and timed multigear automatic (or CVT), it is exactly small diesel. I think people's wish to have MT diesel is simply misguided, based on what is not available and never tried. It almost feels like "because these evil people don't offer it, it must be good". ;)

Exactly, the 8 spd in the BMW is one of the best in the business, and it suited for the diesel perfectly. What I have noticed, most of the 328d's on lots in Phoenix, have the sport package as well as M sport package, this give the transmission the Sport + feature. quicker shifting, holds gears longer, quicker throttle, add paddle shifting option and it's one of the best combo's.

I guess I should have stated in my posting of the video that even though the M135 is a 135, it gives you an idea on what the M235i will be able to do.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,111

@dino001

I agree with you. I recently had a 328xd loaner car while mine was in for service (they finally fixed the trunk latch). The 8 speed automatic is perfectly matched to the Diesel turbo 4.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation