Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,111

@roadburner

You hit the nail on the head. You budget for repairs & maintenance. Most people don't do that. They pay a car off and don't think about what it is going to cost to keep it on the road for X more years. They just blow their former car payment and then either put the next major repair on a credit card or trade the car in and take out a loan on a new car.

A lot of people don't look at big picture things like total cost of ownership, instead choosing to focus on the monthly payment amount.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• stickguystickguy Posts: 13,596

now that I have inherited my Acura TL back (a 2000 with 174K on the clock) I do enjoy not really caring where I park. With the good cars, I OCD in a parking lot and go way away from other cars when possible. The TL has a few parking lot dings and a lot of scratches (patina?) already, so I don't think I would notice a few more.

as to repairs, in the last couple of years it has needed some unexpected ones. But, no collision on it (makes a difference when my 18 YO is the driver assigned to it). Hopefully though nothing big happens, since I want to get some more "cheap" use out of it before selling it at the end of the summer.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,111

@stickguy

Even with the coil packs you had to replace, it was still cheaper than spending $35 - $40K on a new TL.

@roadburner

Even with the large outlay it cost you when the transfer case blew in the X3, it was still cheaper than shelling out $40 - $50K for a new one.

I have a customer who drives a 2005 Porsche Cayenne V6 with 190K miles on it. He can well afford a new Cayenne, but wants to see just how far he can take this one:)

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,020

@nyccarguy

Exactly. You have to evaluate all your options in a logical manner. If you go into panic mode you are well and truly screwed. And then there are the people who use the slightest malfunction as an excuse to buy a new car- to "save" money, of course... :D

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,487

@roadburner said: nyccarguy

Exactly. You have to evaluate all your options in a logical manner. If you go into panic mode you are well and truly screwed. And then there are the people who use the slightest malfunction as an excuse to buy a new car- to "save" money, of course... :D

Heresy if repeated over on Chronic Car Buyers!

Debating what to do about the Lexus, get a second opinion. At a cost, of course. But, will live with it for a while, keep a couple of quarts of high-mileage oil in the trunk, check the dipstick (so nice to have a dipstick!) religiously. Wife would be up for a remanufactured engine, if that's the route we go. She had a coworker who went that route with his Toyota truck, he claimed he got another 100k miles out of the truck post re-engined.

Probably limited or no road trips in the Lexus, just local driving, keep it for the utility. If we do re-engine it, at least it is a used car I'm familiar with and know it to be well maintained! Back in my XF, which still looks and smells new. Well, looks new under the winter coat all over the car...

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

Which Lexus model is this?

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,664
    edited February 26

$1200/yr is a very sober estimate and IMO, very accurate, for out of warranty cars. This presumes it is a car you've owned all its life and that as 100K rolls around, it's pretty much tip top. I've been averaging just about $1200 a year now for over 4 years, for maintenance, wear items and repairs.

My TL even with all the miles has not averaged close to that. The 2 (out of 5) expensive years might have run up around that much.

Of course I am holding my breath that nothing expensive (the tranny) bites the dust on me. That might junk an otherwise good car.

• m6userm6user Posts: 2,897

@stickguy said: My TL even with all the miles has not averaged close to that. The 2 (out of 5) expensive years might have run up around that much.

Of course there are exceptions to every average. My recent Infiniti went 100k and 10yrs with total actual repairs of less than $500 not including wear and tear items. But IMO that was an exception as well. Can you count on it? Heck no especially with brands that tend to have a lot more expensive repairs after warranty like most German cars. They might not break often but when they do it is very expensive unless your brother-in-law can fix it.

@MrShift@Edmunds said: Here's something to make your blood run cold:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887323646604578403191117526644

$480 for 6+ years? And you have to drive a strippo Camry? Yikes. This might have been a decent lease candidate.

• MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,664
    edited February 26

Some folks ain't got no sense when it comes to working out a car deal. That's what you guys are for!

Sounds like upside down on a crap car plus poor credit. IOW chum in the water. At least she got something that should last and not cost much to run for the loan term if she can just keep it that long.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,487

@stickguy said: Which Lexus model is this?

'02 RX300. Gonna sit back, smell the oil and chill. Researching a second opinion. Wife wants at least another 4 years/40k miles out of it for kids to use and big grocery runs to BJs... My guess is it ain't gonna make it that far without some kind of TLC. Doubt the oil issue will heal thyself!

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• sweendogysweendogy Posts: 1,052

@markcincinnati - like I mentioned I got the 13 s4, mine has the sports diff and audi select- the SD is not noticeable 90% or more of the time under normal conditions - in reading other post enthusiast love it- me I'm not totally sold that its a must have but for the extra 1k on a 55-60k car I could see wanting it- the prestige package for me is just a bunch of small extras that do nothing for performance and are just for added lux. I've only had my car for 2 weeks- will say with snow tires its a bull. Hills and turns not an issue even in 6 inches of loose snow. The car with snows is noisier then the old G was - but it does get 4-5 mpg better in my limited time in mixed driving. I drive mostly in individual mode- I set the exhaust to be dynamic (infinit standard), steering dynamic and engine in auto. I've also set the speed limit alert to 80mph as its very easy to miss given the small readout- I've also found the digital speedo to be extremely helpful- I have the V1 hard mounted near the passenger visor as well. Excited about the car and a bit worried about the German gremlins that maybe hiding.

• sweendogysweendogy Posts: 1,052

@stickguy I like the new feature to add pix- but badges really? I don't need no stinking badges....

image.jpg 864.8K
  • @sweendogy: I read an article about the "individual" settings that suggested the steering will perform at its best if set to Auto. I can't seem to locate the article, but I know it was in a fairly recent Car & Driver or Automobile or Road & Track, since those are the publications I subscribe to.

I don't know if I can honestly tell much of a difference, but for what it's worth, I set mine to Dynamic, Auto & Comfort (engine/transmission, steering, exhaust sound, respectively).

The primary (perhaps the ONLY) difference with the engine/transmission setting at dynamic is that the transmission will default to S mode which seems to hold in gear longer before upshift, perform obvious rev matches during downshifts and make the "fart" sound on upshifts more aggressive (hence my setting of "comfort" for the engine sound).

Now that I have passed 5,000 miles I am noticing better gas mileage, improved performance and a feeling of "less friction" overall. I had really missed the cruise control in the Audi -- when I set the CC to, say, 45MPH in the Acura TL SH-AWD and then find myself going down a rather steep hill seeing a curve at the bottom, the Acura would start freewheeling, so to speak and pick up more and more speed (based on the grade). Then, to negotiate the turn, I would have to brake -- which turned the cruise control off, of course. In the Audi, set the CC for 45MPH and go down a virtual vertical drop and the CC holds the speed at 45MPH, period. Then when reaching the base of the downhill, I can negotiate the curve without killing the cruise control.

It is a little thing, perhaps for some people. But my 2005 A6 and 2009 A4 had this feature and my 2011 Infiniti and 2012 Acura did not -- it seemed [on those Japanese premium cars] like a huge oversight.

Another thing I like about the Audi CC is if you've set it, say, at 75MPH and you come into a heavily monitored construction zone where the speed limit is reduced to 55MPH, you can toggle the CC stalk to 55 and the car brakes and resets itself at 55. With the Acura, for instance, you could only coast down or apply the brakes yourself.

I know there will be folks who are dead set against the car having this much "intelligence" or autonomy (and this ain't THAT much, folks), but it can simply be turned off if you don't want to "enjoy" a tiny bit smarter cruise control.

In any case, I keep forgetting just how much technology comes with these German cars -- and how it does its best to help you not get ticketed and remain in control. I give this feature alone an "A" for its contribution to safety. B)

DILYL

• Michaell@EdmundsMichaell@Edmunds ColoradoPosts: 1,187

@markcincinnati said: I had really missed the cruise control in the Audi -- when I set the CC to, say, 45MPH in the Acura TL SH-AWD and then find myself going down a rather steep hill seeing a curve at the bottom, the Acura would start freewheeling, so to speak and pick up more and more speed (based on the grade). Then, to negotiate the turn, I would have to brake -- which turned the cruise control off, of course. In the Audi, set the CC for 45MPH and go down a virtual vertical drop and the CC holds the speed at 45MPH, period. Then when reaching the base of the downhill, I can negotiate the curve without killing the cruise control.

My wife's Mazda CX-7 does that as well ... will automatically downshift the automatic transmission to a lower gear to maintain the set speed on CC when going down hills. I agree, it's a nice feature to have - especially here in Colorado, where we have a fair amount of elevation change on the roads.

michaell@edmunds.com

Moderator, Prices Paid and Leasing Experiences

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT / 2010 Mazda CX-7 GT / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• flightnurseflightnurse at 35K feetPosts: 1,524

@markcincinnati said:

Another thing I like about the Audi CC is if you've set it, say, at 75MPH and you come into a heavily monitored construction zone where the speed limit is reduced to 55MPH, you can toggle the CC stalk to 55 and the car brakes and resets itself at 55. With the Acura, for instance, you could only coast down or apply the brakes yourself.

My BMW does this as well, infact when the car applys the brakes the brakes lights come on. I have been traveling between Phoenix and San Diego quite a bite as my father was in the hospital, and found this feature very helpful. I wonder why Acura do not do this..

• markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,049
    edited February 27

The Audi's backup camera screen shows trajectory lines that "curve" as the steering wheel is turned. The Acura? Straight lines, no curve, no match to steering wheel inputs.

Now, the Infiniti, it had front camera and rear camera and trajectory lines when the car was in reverse and drive -- of course, it also had the wonderful, fantastic, gotta have it, around-view monitor. Of course now both Audi and BMW offer this tech, but it is still not universal.

Of course, I recently read an article about how many times backup camera adoption has been pushed to a future year -- I guess we should feel good that the German and Japanese (premium) cars typically come standard with such tech and that it is pretty much "available" on the lesser cars from that mfgr.

Looks like backup cameras are "probably" going to be required as of January 2015 -- but don't hold your breath. By the time the backup camera is a requirement, the all-around or top-view systems will be the norm in the premium segment.

If you've not seen what an all-around top-view, etc, set-up can do, check out your nearest Infiniti showroom -- this is seriously cool tech that makes driving and parking in tight spaces, oh, only about a MILLION PERCENT easier and safer!

I graduated from college in 1973 (yep, I am old) and I took a course in 1971 where a new technology was introduced (in a Chrysler, no less): anti-lock brakes. 1971. Let that sink in -- the first car I was personally aware of that could actually have ABS as it came to be called was a 1985 model year BMW "7" series which, as I recall, came to the US market in calendar 1984.

What in the wide-wide world of sports took 13 years [for anti-lock brakes] to go from Chrysler (std equipment on the gas-turbine car they produced) to BMW (probably sourced from Bosch). The year following, ABS was offered on the Audi 200 (US name 5000S) quattro (and probably the FWD version too for that matter.) Yet, when was it that mere mortals could get ABS on their Blue Ovals and Bow Ties? It seems like it took decades!

Of course it took another automotive eternity to make ESP widely available, too. To a certain extent Audi took a helluva long time to bring "torque vectoring" (aka "sport differential") to market -- doing so, I believe, sometime after Acura announced their version of torque vectoring with the mouthful of a name -- SH-AWD.

I've had ABS, ESP, TPMS, sat nav, voice activation, blind spot monitoring, bi-xenon head-lights (except for the Acura), back-up or all-around view cameras and monitors and a whole host of other "ought to be standard equipment" stuff for longer than I can remember (and it is not -- yet -- due to a fading memory); this stuff is very cheap to make and probably all of this technology can fit in the space of one chip, with room to spare, these days. Why does the trickle down or even just the offering of the technology move at glacial speed for pity's sake?

Another technology that "ought to be standard" is the 7, 8 or 9 (or more) speed transmission. I believe a base 4-cylinder 2010 Audi A4 was offered with an 8-speed tiptronic transmission; and, I believe every or virtually every BMW can be had with an 8 speed unit, too. The 8-speed's reason for being is economy and performance, yes? Why didn't Chevy -- to name one -- do what these Germans did: go to ZF and buy the 8-speed units and tout their benefits in their brand new Impalas and SS's and, same question for Ford. The efficiency and performance gains alone should have made this worth doing -- instead we've got a whole bunch of new "made in the USA" cars with "old" 6-speed transmissions.

Rhode Island is neither a road nor an island. . . discuss amongst‎ yourselves. :o

DILYL