Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• eweinereweiner Posts: 36

Law changed in MD. If your car does not come with a front license mount then you dont have to add onebut you must have the second tag in the car. If there is a mount installed in the front you must mount the tag.

• sweendogysweendogy Posts: 1,050
    How about leaving it on the dash does that work or must it be mounted?
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,595

@sweendogy said: How about leaving it on the dash does that work or must it be mounted?

I wouldn't leave a plate on the dash. It's one more thing to fly around the car in case of an accident. (Says the man with 40 lbs. of lacrosse bag and sticks as well as work related product samples in the back of his Passat wagon.)

• flightnurseflightnurse at 35K feetPosts: 1,522

Interesting that Porsche just dropped a bomb in the "entry lux sport sedan" segment, it is going to build a baby Baby Panamera, with a V6 good for about 300hp. http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2017-porsche-small-sedan-feature

The Porsche "Pajun" has been rumored for a couple of years now. It originally was thought to be a dedicated vehicle targeting the 5 series.

• sweendogysweendogy Posts: 1,050
    null
    Flight you are so back- nice - can't wait for this Porsche - could be sweet.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,626

Might have known they'd figure it out. :@

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 6,883
    edited April 14

For those of you who might find this interesting (as I do), the '15 Acura TLX is going to be shown in production form at the NY Auto Show this coming Wednesday. My dealer was getting training in TX on the new TLX and posted this in another forum about what he learned during training....

[i]"-New remote start system like the new MDX ( remote start 3 ) that has a 1/4 mile range. - Under storage compartment in the trunk ( similar to RLX with no spare tire, just inflation kit with a spare available as an accessory ) - Fold down rear seats with trunk passthrough - All 4 windows power up/down 1 touch - Tech pkg and Advanced pkg have frameless mirrors ( similar to that on the new GM Corvette and Camaro ) - Electronic Parking brake - Electronic Shifter like in RLX Sport Hybrid - 7 speaker 355 watt base sound system - 10 speaker 490 watt tech/adv sound system -Siri Eyes Free - Gains of $2,000 in standard features - 3.5L V6 puts out 290hp and 267 torque - 9 speed automatic transmission with 25% faster shifting and 5 times faster paddle shiftting - 1mpg city increase and 5mpg highway increase for FWD - 3mpg city increase and 5mpg highway increase for SH-AWD - v6 model goes 0-60 a little over half a second faster - SH-AWD is 25% lighter and no longer protrudes into the trunk - SH-AWD system can now act like P-AWS when switching lanes, sending extra power to left rear wheel when moving right a lane and vice versa - Engine idle stop ( yuck ) - Integraded Dynamic System ( IDS changes steering feel and pedal response ) with a new Sport Plus mode to give old "Type-S" like steering feel and a new ECON mode for fuel economy. - Blind Spot with Cross Traffic Monitor - Road departure waring and Road departure Mitigation ( acts like CMBS ) - Tire fill assist ( beeps when correct tire pressure is met ) - Premium feel, engineers want you to feel the difference in the first 50 feet - 4 Inches shorter than old TL in the overhang. Wheelbase is the same - Color Keyed entry button - LED Taillights / Integrated rear Spoiler - Torsion stiffness up 21% - Acoustic Spray Foam to vastly cut down on road and wind noise. - 145 Pounds lighter ( TL FWD to TLX FWD ) - Motion Adaptive EPS with crosswind detection"[/i]

No pricing info that they're willing to share (yet) because they're trying to clear the '14 TLs off the lot, first. Sounds pretty darn compelling if they can keep the SH AWD version in that mid $40K range, where the old one is priced.

• dash5dash5 Posts: 410

Thanks Graphic, the TLX is definitely on my radar.
    "Torsion stiffness up 21% - Acoustic Spray Foam to vastly cut down on road and wind noise." Definitely like the spray foam and we will see about the Torsion stiffness.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 13,556

Is there still going to be a 4 cyl version that us non-rich people might come close to affording? Or us that being left to the Ilx?

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

edited April 14

dash....you're welcome...my pleasure!

stickguy....yes, the 4 cyl from the now defunct TSX will go in the entry level TSX model. It will have a 9-speed DCT trans. Whereas the 3.5L will have an 8-speed trans.

Rumor is the 4 cyl and 6 cyl base cars will offer P-AWS-4 wheel steer from the RLX. The SH AWD will still be available but it's significantly lighter than before.

Interesting to note, the new TLX is supposed to be a 1/2 second faster to 60....pretty significant. That puts it smack dab in the middle of the lux/performance cars we always talk about here...like the IS350, Audi S4, BMW 335i, Infiniti G/Q. Whereas the 4 cyl looks to hit the performance marks of the A4, 328i, Mercedes C250, etc.

@stickguy said: Is there still going to be a 4 cyl version that us non-rich people might come close to affording? Or us that being left to the Ilx?

Yes the 2.4L will be available with an 8 speed dual clutch auto and FWD only.

• carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,566

Hopefully the TLX will be improved in the looks department, not as "shield and armor" looking.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,091

@graphicguy

I'll be at the NY Auto Show this Sunday. I'll try to snap some pics for you if I can.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

@carnaught said: Hopefully the TLX will be improved in the looks department, not as "shield and armor" looking.

Well Acura displayed the concept in January in Detroit. When Honda shows a prototype, it's usually 98% there so these photos are accurate IMHO:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140320/CARNEWS/140319757

@nyccarguy said: graphicguy‌

I'll be at the NY Auto Show this Sunday. I'll try to snap some pics for you if I can.

Thanks Bradd!

• markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,047
    edited April 14

Acura TLX

There are (were) many good things to be said (and enjoyed) about the current TL SH-AWD (in Advance trim) -- trouble is (was) I often found myself "apologizing" for the Acura's styling and "cheap looking" (for the class it was aspiring to compete in) "over-Honda-ized" interior.

The concept version is quite the step up in the styling department; but, I think the same can be said for the Infiniti Q50, too. And, well, talk about piling on -- the Q50 can't get NO love from NOBODY, well maybe a little bit from Popular Mechanics.

I did then and still do today liken the TL in SH-AWD Advance form as Acura's S4 (for a lot less $). Now that I have a '14 S4, I do appreciate it [the S4] even more -- but the inherent goodness of the TL SH-AWD remains and, hopefully, will continue and grow in the updated TLX. If the price of the TLX SH-AWD Advance can stay under $50K, it ought to be a winner just so long as it [the TLX] doesn't lose the performance bits and driver involvement of the outgoing TL (this -- reduced driver involvement -- seems to be the main complaint about the Q50, as I recall).

I had thought Acura had all but given up wanting to compete with the premium Germans and the other premium Japanese offerings. It would seem the TLX could knock the Q50 to last place and maybe even breathe down the IS 350's neck (assuming the Acura in FWD trim is not compared with the IS in either rear or AWD configuration).

Perhaps things will get interesting again -- it was starting (for a while there) to look like the IS was going to be the only current Japanese Premium sporty sedan. This new TLX SH-AWD could turn the corner and the tide for that matter.

I'll probably not make any friends for saying this, but: in this class (A4, 3 series, C Class, ATS, IS, Q50 etc), there should be NO FWD only models (unless and only unless a customer wants to special order one). Yes, I know the A4 is offered in an FWD configuration (somewhere) -- but of the 5 or so Audi dealers I am aware of there are NO, ZERO, NONE, NADDA, FWD A4's (I don't even know if you could order one if you tried) available and the dealers have no intention of ever having one (again, assuming you can get one, even.)

The new A3 and the new "baby Benz 4-door coupe" may come as FWD models and the dealer body may elect to stock a few to attract more potential (and younger, perhaps?) customers, and that is fine. But at the ELLPS (Premium models) RWD and/or AWD are expected -- and here in Cincinnati AWD BMW's look to overtake the RWD versions soon if they haven't already (and the AWD trend is thus in Mercedes, Cadillac, Infiniti and Lexus for many models).

Having the TLX offered with FWD makes a statement -- something like "take the 'P' out of ELLPS." I would think it is a message Acura doesn't want to promote (given the overwhelming success -- he said sarcastically -- of the FWD RLX.)

In our fair city, the Honda dealership is "real close" (geographically) to the Acura store -- I would think some would shop a Honda after seeing the sticker on an FWD TLX. The TLX needs to make at least good run at being a performance model -- and it will be hard pressed, today, to do that as a front driver.

Of course, I could be wrong -- just not uncertain.

DILYL

• carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,566
    edited April 14

"Yes, I know the A4 is offered in an FWD configuration (somewhere) -- but of the 5 or so Audi dealers I am aware of there are NO, ZERO, NONE, NADDA, FWD A4's (I don't even know if you could order one if you tried) available and the dealers have no intention of ever having one (again, assuming you can get one, even.)"

Here in the desert sunbelt or in Fl., most of the A4's in stock are fwd., so I think it's a regional thing.

Mark...as always, appreciate your thoughts.

Of course, the proof is in the pudding. We won't know what it's like to drive until they hit the streets (May?). My dealer usually has big, invitation only rollouts with fanfare when a new model comes out. They have a string quartet, champagne, canapés, etc. They then have some of the new models for brief test drives. Last one I did was for the RLX (another nice car that's getting little love).

You're an Audi aficionado. I'm a little jaded because of what happened with mine. That shouldn't detract from your obvious love of the ones you've had, and continue to have.

I'm an Acura aficinado. Through BMWs, Audis, Cadillacs, etc, my Acuras are still among the best cars I've ever owned....and, like you, I've owned quite a few.

Your Audi is based on a FWD architecture. Yes, Quattro alleviates much of the FWD understeer. Still, day=to-day driving? You, me, anyone else would be hard pressed to say which wheels are motivating the car. They've become quite good at taming those bugaboos.

On paper at least, it looks like the new TLX will have what the Acura folks have been clamoring for.

While the 4 cyl will get the lion's share of volume, I'm more interested in the SH-AWD version, as always. Sticking to the formula of Good/Better/Best (standard/Tech/Advance) I just confirmed with the dealer that the Advance I'll be looking at will come in right around that $49K range (current Advance is $48K and change).

0-60 in 5 sec, Torque vectoring AWD, upgraded materials everywhere, lighter, LED headlights/tailights, high zoot stereo, sports leather seating, blind spot warning, integrated NAV that actually works right (and Siri enabled to fully integrate my iPhone), a little bit of this, a little more of that, at that price? Yep, it's at the top of my shopping list.

• dash5dash5 Posts: 410

For me the TLX looks great on paper and I like the styling of the prototype. There were a few spy shots that were not very flattering, but overall I'm happy with what I see so far.

The next big hurdle is the interior. I know we'll see that this week at the Auto Show here in NYC, maybe I should stop by myself come to think of it!

Having looked at a TL in 2011 when I was last in the market, the interior, beak and that... boomerang thing... on the trunk, drove me away. This time they're seemingly on the right track.