Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• Typical german engineering. I was in an 01 golf that a yahoo in a huge pickup broadsided at 40. No intrusion into the passenger compartment at all.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    "Just wanted to share with everyone that, after those things happen to you, brand loyalty takes on a whole new meaning..."

Of course, it goes both ways. Many years ago in my first ever car, a 1988 Ford Taurus that I loved to death, I was rear-ended while sitting at a red light by an almost brand new Mercedes E-class. He had some bumper damage and the front hood was a bit bent. In contrast, my Taurus was destroyed--I was slammed into a Buick in front of me, and half the engine bay and almost all of the trunk were completely collapsed. To the dearly departed Taurus's credit, there wasn't any cabin intrusion, and I only bruised my shins, but the car was totaled while the Benz probably picked up a thousand dollars worth of body work. I'll never forget the Mercedes dude getting out of his car and bending over to keenly examine his slightly crunched bumper while I stared at my utterly destroyed car.

On a more positive note, that was the last Ford I ever owned. Whew!

In conclusion: Mercedes sedans are notable not only for their defense, but for their offense as well. If I were looking to take out Dodge Neon drivers, literally, I'd pick a S500 as my instrument of mayhem. If you're looking to drive while combing your hair, talking on the cell phone and changing radio stations at the same time, but do not want to sit in a Ford Expedition, then an E-class may be for you!
  • dzubadzuba Posts: 159
    Am I correct in hearing there have been some recent problems with the tranny's on these cars. Am comparing them between the 530, and GS 300!! Any idea on a manual?
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    dzuba - the word on the street is yes. But I also heard that the stock market is about to rocket away and buy some good dot com stocks.:)

Trying to ferret out the truth as whatever the truth is very difficult. Although some people say yes, Consumer Reports highly recommends this auto.
  • About two percent of honda's five speed manumatic transmissions have failed, according to detriot news. Honda issued a recall for these transmissions:

http://www.edmunds.com/news/regularnews/articles/75418/article.html.

The recall doesn't affect most recent 2003 TLs so supposedly it has been fixed in production.

• kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    2 percent amounts to 1.2 million cars. They do sell a lot of cars.
  • ccotenjccotenj Posts: 610
    they may sell a lot, but i don't think they sell 51 million tl-s' a year... :)

-Chris
  • The way I understand it is that they will send extended warranty to ALL owners who purchased the car model with questionable part (that's the 1.2 million). The 2% I believe is the approximate percentage of 1.2M cars reported to have problems (approximately 12,000 cars).
    i misinterpreted where the 1.2 million number came from... oops!

-Chris
  • 24,000 cars not 12,000.
  • Ah, this reminds me of word problems in math class long ago...

Yeah, the 2% was the estimated number of these autos with actual transmission failures. The 1.2 million is the number of autos that have the potential to be affected in the future and thus get an extended warranty. Also, the cars affected span up to 3 years of production.

You guys want to try another word problem?
  • From everything I've read the percentage of affected trannys is 1.6%. So how many cars is that??
  • ... is about 19,200 cars
  • J D Power & [non-permissible content removed]. gives the TL it's highest rating for long term reliability as does Consumer Reports. Transmission problems don't seem to be showing up in their research. Is this problem overstated or is their research flawed?
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    It's definitely not overstated. There have been widespread reports and complaints about all of the affected vehicles for a long time, within the Honda/Acura community. It's nice to see the cars getting coverage finally. Although I know a lot of Honda Prelude owners who are upset that the recall/fix wasn't extended to '97-99 owners who (to my knowledge) were the first group of Sequential Sportshift owners to start having their transmissions die on them.
  • dzubadzuba Posts: 159
    I am in outside sales driving 30-35K miles per year. My major concerns in a car are Ride, comfort, luxury, and Reliability, then they are style, sportiness, etc..... - anyone out there driving a TL-S 30,000 miles a year, and if so - how has the car held up. My 98 Maxima GLE is flawless!!!
  • I think that Honda willingness to extend the tranny warranties demonstrates their commitment to customers. If they still have not fixed all the transmission problems, then I'm sure they will continue to try. I see your concerns, though because the extended warranties only covered 100K miles.

As a Nissan Maxima owner, have you considered the Infiniti G35 Sedan from Nissan's luxury division? If so, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the relative merits of it and the Acura TL-S.
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    I don't think Honda issued any recalls for the tranny. At least none of the TL owners have heard of such.

However the problem is real. I myself had a tranny failure at 6,100 miles. Right when I entered a busy highway from a full stop, pushed the gas pedal, the engine revved into the redline and the car barely moved forward. Add the view of a couple of semis in the rearview mirror to all the excitement.

The dealer replaced the tranny. It only took a couple of weeks to order the new one. During that time I had pleasure of driving a rental Dodge Stratus.

Some people have had multiple tranny failures.

Check the Acura TL and Acura CL forums for more info:

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=34

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums

ooo... that must have been exciting....

what happened to your gtp?

-Chris
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    GTP lease ended in December 2001. :(
    Wife got an RX300 instead.