Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681

@sweendogy said:
    Nissan tried that with the murano - and I don't know if that's the answer

BMW 435 Gran Coupe is the swiss-army knife for me. Low wide "coupe" so I can drive in style. 4 door and 5 seats so I can put the 4 kids in. Hatch so I can fit all the football equipment.

Too hot for a convertible so that feature is not on my list.

I'm just not in the market now...

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,289

@ivan_99 said:
    BMW 435 Gran Coupe is the swiss-army knife for me. Low wide "coupe" so I can drive in style. 4 door and 5 seats so I can put the 4 kids in. Hatch so I can fit all the football equipment. I'm just not in the market now...

I thought the Gran Coupe is a sedan, not a hatch. There is the 3-series GT, which is a hatch, and the new X4, which is a CUV-thingy with a hatch.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217

@Michaell said:
    I thought the Gran Coupe is a sedan, not a hatch. There is the 3-series GT, which is a hatch, and the new X4, which is a CUV-thingy with a hatch.

The GC is a hatch, the 3GT is a different animal but has a hatch. The X4 is more a SUV then a coupe.

• ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681

@Michaell said:

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,289

@ivan_99 said:

Huh. Actually, I like that more that I would the sedan.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,139
    edited August 2014

I didn't realize it was a hatch, either... and, I've sat in one (though just for a moment..)

Now... I like it.. ;-)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310

I like it a lot - make the runs to Home Depot easier

@kyfdx said:
    I didn't realize it was a hatch, either... and, I've sat in one (though just for a moment..)

Now... I like it.. ;-)

BMW did a good job in hiding the fact it's has a hatch, I wasn't a fan of one until I drove one at the BMW event last week. Like, you I am now a fan. Since I don't carry people in the car very often but when i do at least they do not have to crawl into the back seats.

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    edited August 2014

So far 435i GC is going to be my next car. Not sure when, will probably take a while, but so far that's the one. One bad thing is the price - with all goodies I want it would cross 55 grand on the sticker, push 60 :'( Just crazy.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,550

I am very executed about the TLX. Other than not being a hatch, sounds exactly like what fits me.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• jbeck5jbeck5 Member Posts: 9

Hi

New poster here. I am considering a 2014 Audi s4 with 1200 miles. Auto tran, sport differential, 19 inch wheels, navi and B&O stereo. To those who have driven or owned this:
    1. Is the ride acceptable over non-smooth roads?
    2. Reliability?
    3. MPG?

I really liked the feel of the car and the smooth power from the supercharged V-6 during the test drive.

Basically, how do you enjoy owning and driving the car, and how livable is it. Also, how has Audi been to deal with? I have previously owned BMW 335i and 128i with sport packages. Enjoyed them both. How woul you compare the S4?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

@dino001 said:
    So far 435i GC is going to be my next car. Not sure when, will probably take a while, but so far that's the one. One bad thing is the price - with all goodies I want it would cross 55 grand on the sticker, push 60 :'( Just crazy.

Why not another wagon?

@flightnurse said:
    Why not another wagon?

3.0 engine, sports suspension with just Sports Line (no need to buy up), RWD, better steering and handling (so I heard) and killer looks.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

@dino001 said:
    3.0 engine, sports suspension with just Sports Line (no need to buy up), RWD, better steering and handling (so I heard) and killer looks.

Interesting, I haven't driven a wagon yet, but the steering would be the same in both since the 4 series is based on the F3x platform.

edited August 2014

Not exactly. 4-series has wider wheel track (1/2 inch), lower ride, not just roof, but seats, too, i.e. CG is lower, and reportedly more feedback on steering and suspension vs 3-series. It is a different car, newer development derived from the sedan, but took its own life. BMW heard complaints on the new three's steering when it came out, so they reportedly made some efforts to improve it. Now, it is possible four's those settings will filter back to the original soon.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,432

@jbeck5‌

Hello & Welcome to edmunds. You picked the right board for owner info. We've got 3 current S4 owners and 1 former S4 owner.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

@nyccarguy said:
    jbeck5‌

Hello & Welcome to edmunds. You picked the right board for owner info. We've got 3 current S4 owners and 1 former S4 owner.

I know what the former owner will say!

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited August 2014

OK....for no other reason than I'm interested in a lot of diffrent cars, and I MAY BE in the market in the next 24 months, AND I was in close proximity to both a Lexus and an Infiniti dealer last night after work, I did some test driving.

This is hot on the heals of doing the BMW drive event. I like BMWs. I wanted to drive the M235i, but they didn't have any to test drive....only 4 series.

435i xDrive, with sport pack? Yep....I'll take two. Problem is, I think BMW has now started to believe their own marketing hype. And, they've priced themselves accordingly. Not sure you get anything more than what I got from my former E92.... less, actually. But, there's been a definite rise in price while staying the same or getting worse in some areas (steering being the most obvious). High $50s? Low $60s? Sorry I'll drop out of that market. Some will walk into their local BMW store with $60K burning a hole in their pocket for a 3/4 series not knowing what else they could get for that kind of money. I'm sure they aren't going to miss me, though. They're doing fine without me.

Infiniti Q50.......drove an AWD version with sport wheels and supposedly sport suspension. It was either too soft, wandering, needing constant minute corrections to stay straight, or doing the same thing, with much higher effort involved. Electronics feels like a cold Windows 3.1 boot up. $50K? I'll take the highly discounted G37x Sport for $10K+ less.

Not bad looking, mind you. Just not my cup of tea (yet again).

Lexus....IS350 F Sport. Tried to buy one when they first came out. Dealer didn't want to deal, so no dice. Now, they're ready to deal I see why the trade rags have rated this car higher than the 3 series. The grill is a love it-hate it affair. I'm used to that (with my TL), though. Drive it as fast as you want, however you want, wherever you want. Very nicely weighted steering. Really fine handling/ride feel. As is typical for Lexus, very good materials and build quialty.

The one I drove was $49K, pretty loaded up with Nav, leather, sunroof, etc. Probably the prettiest grey paint job I've seen on any car (Nebula Grey). Out of the shoot, sales manager (who introduced himself after the test drive was over), said the IS I drove would be in the $47K range (maybe get serious in the $45K-$46K range?). If/when I get ready to buy, I'll come back to give them a shot at my business. Once again, the 3/4 Series are nice cars. The IS350 is better, for significantly less money.

I informed all the dealers I was not in the market. This is the difference between high end dealerships and the ones that know at some point they want you back into their store. They'll acknowledge you're "just looking" and offer to be there when you're ready.

This, tied to what I've seen from Benz and Acura recently, not a bad time to be shopping for an ELLPS.

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring

thanks for the welcome. I should add I have also owned the previous generation of the A4, bought in 2007. That was a good car. The decision for me is coming down to A4, S4 or TLX. Test drove TLX V-6 yesterday and liked it. But if I go TLX I will wait for a 2.4 liter 4 cyliner to be available.
    Also test drove Audi A3 and was less impressed than most of the reviews that you read.

jbeck....I like the TLX 4 cyl as much as I do the V6 version. I like the power of the V6 more, though. Good luck in your choice. Have fun shopping.

2015-A6 3.0 supercharged test drive.

Prem pack, Bose, nav - non sport - 18 all seasons.

Got a service done on my s4 yday/today and left with a 15 a6 with 32 miles on the car as a loner. First off audi interiors are amazing and this a6 was extra cushie compared to my s4 with summer slicks. Nice highway cruiser - but a bit of a boat in the turns. Pickup from the 3.0 smooth but not dramatic even in dynamic mode. Infact it made me wonder how slow or unsporty the 2.0 would be- as the car is huge. I drove the car for approx 20 miles - and have to say if I was maybe 10-15 years older it would be my cup of tee but not at this juncture.

Other observations - sat in an A3, while the doors seemed a little tinnie the overall car was pretty impressive and I would certainly take a look at this car if considering. The layout is simple and it seems like a great commuter car in 2.0 form. The trunk also huge for a compact.

S6 - saw one in blacked out (optic pack?) form - so attractive.

Glad to have the s4 back- small puncture fixed in rear tire.

sweendogy - How have you liked your S4? Is it as good as a day to day commuter as it is as a sports car?

@jbeck5 - is it Joel? The s4 for me has been a good commuter in traffic over 4k miles. I drive a total of 20 miles each day- decent on gas in traffic I'm getting 18-19 in city- when I'm able to drive traffic free I can get 27 - I've seen 30 once. I do flog it time to time so I'm guessing I could prob do a little better. Great stereo - seats are nice and firm- wish they were full leather (prob the only thing I would change) - car rides on rails and even with its girth can get around the twists with little drama(sport diff def works). Has been a good rig thus far.

thanks for the info. Do you have the 19 inch wheels? The car I test drove had 19's with very low profile (35 series continentals.

And no, it's not Joel.

edited August 2014
    @jbeck5‌

Yes I have 2 sets actually Summer Hartmann S5 Alloys with https://us.v-cdn.net/5021145/uploads/editor/lz/yx31v9ljxg6g.jpg
    35 Continental Extreme Contact 255's - those are 19s, as you can see in this pix & Original 5 spoke OEM with Dunlop Supersport Winter tires 18s.
    Sticks well in both summer and winter.
    null
    @ sorry I know a Joel beck thought it could be him

no problem - thanks for the info. Glad to hear you like your S4. I will decide in a few days.

@stickguy said:
    I know what the former owner will say!

I am the former S4 owner.

I guess this is a situation where you either get lucky with an S4, or you don't. I didn't. Quattro system would 'bind". Audi said they could fix it,but couldn't. Had some other gremlins. Was annoyed by the Audi rep and how they handled my situation. Audi ended up buying it back.

MPG was 18-19 MPG in town...mid 20s on the interstate. I kept my foot in it most of the time, though.

Wished it turned out better. Fun car to drive when it ran right, though. Just too many problems.

@graphicguy said:
    Wished it turned out better. Fun car to drive when it ran right, though. Just too many problems.

How hard did you have to push Audi to buy the car back?

FN....They NEVER want to buy back any car. The Regional Rep was a real pain to work with and bordered on total ignorance of the products he represented.

Once I was able to find his bosses name and location, I contacted him and things moved quickly after that.

@graphicguy said:
    FN....They NEVER want to buy back any car. The Regional Rep was a real pain to work with and bordered on total ignorance of the products he represented.

Once I was able to find his bosses name and location, I contacted him and things moved quickly after that.

Happens with all brands, over on Bimmerfest a guy bought a new 535d and his complaint was it pulled to the right, after being at the BMW dealer 4 times they found nothing wrong with it. He decided to make a couple of videos haven't seen a car pull to the right as hard as that 535d did. The area rep was like yours, everything is in spec.. Someone on BF gave the guy a contact person at BMW NA he sent the video's with all documents from the area rep and dealer. 3 days later he got a phone call from BMW NA and instructed to bring the car to his dealer, where BMW bought his car and he got another one. Not too sure why Reps have to be jerks and play games...

I saw that 535 on the highway once- I though he was being nice moving over for me- :s:D

FN....if the regional guy didn't act like like a total tool, I might have considered just replacing it with another Audi. However, since they bought it back, I've read a couple of trade rags who mentioned how their test Audis with Quattro would bind. Towards the end of my ownership of the S4, it felt like one of the wheels was locked up whenever I went around a corner.

My BMW dealer was always helpful, as my Acura dealer is, too. That has a lot to do with them being my two favorite car brands.

GG, I just caught up on my latest pile of car mags this weekend. one of them had a recap of their LT test S7, and one of the issues was some sort of binding. sounds like your issue.

so at this point, it sounds more like a "feature" than a "bug".

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

@flightnurse said:
    ...Someone on BF gave the guy a contact person at BMW NA he sent the video's with all documents from the area rep and dealer. 3 days later he got a phone call from BMW NA and instructed to bring the car to his dealer, where BMW bought his car and he got another one. Not too sure why Reps have to be jerks and play games...

Reps have to be jerks because they are paid by their employers to be jerks. Their job is to make sure the manufacturer isn't overpaying for warranty repairs, goodwill, et al. They most likely get bonuses based on how much money they save the company.

@robr2 said:

Robr2.....seems counter intuitive. Tick off your customer base, so they won't ever shop for your product again

@robr2 said:Reps have to be jerks because they are paid by their employers to be jerks. Their job is to make sure the manufacturer isn't overpaying for warranty repairs, goodwill, et al. They most likely get bonuses based on how much money they save the company.

There are ways of protecting the manufacture and not being a jerk it's called diplomacy. As GC stated you don't want to piss off your customers then they wont have a job.

I'm now have 3 "flagged" posts - what does that mean, hosts?
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

@graphicguy said:
    Robr2.....seems counter intuitive. Tick off your customer base, so they won't ever shop for your product again

Didn't say it was right. It's just the way it is. The rep has a job to do and his performance is measured by goals set by the company. If he simply bought back every car that people felt was a lemon, he'd be out of a job very quickly. Besides, his customer is the dealer not the consumer.

IIRC, wasn't yours bought out of the offending rep's territory? In that case, the buyback would come out of his budget and his district didn't get credit for the original sale. Once you went to the original dealer, everything was handled.

@robr2 said:
    IIRC, wasn't yours bought out of the offending rep's territory? In that case, the buyback would come out of his budget and his district didn't get credit for the original sale. Once you went to the original dealer, everything was handled.

Robr2....yes, all true. Bought it outside the servicing dealers' territory.

Bought in Chicago....serviced in Cincinnati. I saved $4K on the car by doing that. Plus, the selling dealer went to great legnths explaining to me how Audi values me as a customer, and that warranty work/service would gladly be done at an Audi dealer in the country.

I've bought enough cars to understand what happened. You're probably right. There was a rep who was operating with the idea that the car was bought outside his territory (not totally sure about that though, given Audi has a Central Region based out of Chicago...not sure if OH is included in that).

However, that's a case of not seeing the forrest for the trees. They acknowledged there was a problem. They said Audi had a fix. They never did, or if they did, it didn't work. The local dealerships (Audi recommended I try both) diagnosed it the same way. Both said it was a problem. No one could or would fix it. There were other issues with the car, however....not just the Quattro binding.

At one point, the Audi Customer Service Rep even said that I was having it serviced at a dealer that I didn't buy it from, and that could be an issue. I've always thought that, but that's the first time I heard an actual manufacturer's representative admit it. That said, I would imagine this does happen. There has to be a procedure to account for this....some sort of a paper trail to account for something like this.

So, you go to Audi, with them telling you they don't care where you buy their cars, as long as you buy them. But, in reality, at least in my case, unless you buy it from the dealership closest to you, geographically, you might have some issues getting the car fixed. That must have been in their fine print somewhere that I missed.

Don't get me wrong. Not taking it out on you, Robr2. You've brought up a lot of bad feelings I had with the brand, their dealerships, etc from when they'd rather fight with me than focus their energies on fixing my S4. They had an opportunity to keep/save a customer. They made a concious decision to act like jerks instead.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited August 2014

Presuming you didn't post an ad for Amsoil, or cast doubts on a host's parenthood, I suspect that another member might be confusing "flag" for "bookmark" or "save for later" or some such. The flag is to bring either abuse or spam to a host's attention for review. Have you been bad?

@sweendogy said:
    I'm now have 3 "flagged" posts - what does that mean, hosts?

@graphicguy said:
    At one point, the Audi Customer Service Rep even said that I was having it serviced at a dealer that I didn't buy it from, and that could be an issue. I've always thought that, but that's the first time I heard an actual manufacturer's representative admit it. That said, I would imagine this does happen. There has to be a procedure to account for this....some sort of a paper trail to account for something like this.

So according to the Rep, don't get transferred while your car is under warranty. Because Audi wont cover it? Nice....

@flightnurse said:
    So according to the Rep, don't get transferred while your car is under warranty. Because Audi wont cover it? Nice....

That about sums it up.

The flag is to bring either abuse or spam to a host's attention for review. Have you been bad?

No spam/-abuse / at least from the 3 flags (which they allow to see the said posts) I don't get why they wouldn't let offender see who is the flagger.

@ audi problem - I could see how that frustration in customer service would be a slight on a brand. I bought a certified honda in another state after finding a great deal, clean car fox and all. After 250 miles it started leaking fluids, I opened the hood and found a piece of lower bumper lodged in the engine well- along with a poorly done overspray underneath some plastic bits. At 3 weeks of ownership I took it to my local dealer which is 200 miles from where I bought it. They confirmed my worse fears that the car was in a major frontal and should never has been given the honda certified status- Honda was no help said but would investigate, I could not have my family in this car and promptly drove the 200 miles- with documentation from the other dealer- a detailed letter from my lawyer with threat to sue- my detailed expenses incurred -homework done on new model, honda reference numbers on said case and best of all my cop buddy friend (to restrain me) . After 2 hours and almost a black eye I walked out my total cost for used car including 1k for said expenses- I also was given a heavily discounted new car which we have had now for 3 years and runs like a top. Love Honda hate certain queens honda dealer on northern blvd- but that being said HOnda didn't want to hear my problem either.

• m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    edited August 2014

It would be interesting to find out how much Honda(if any) is actually on the hook for a certified car or is it entirely between individual dealers and the customer. Seems like if they use the name "Honda" certified they would be partially liable. Or for that matter any of the luxury certified programs as well.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,432

@sweendogy‌

Paragon?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Being manufacturer certified, they are on the hook, just the same as on a new car. They are not legally fully liable for dealer's misconduct, like not following the procedures, but there is some liability. If they are happy to collect franchise fees, they should assume part of responsibility what comes under their name. That being said, there is legal liability and there is smart business.

2018 430i Gran Coupe