Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew Cafe

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,699
    that will be the case. If they do occur, just direct them over here.

Bob
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    That is where I get my Guinea Badges for my cars, can never find them anywhere else!

-mike
  • lark6lark6 Posts: 2,565
    1. Okay, so what goes into "Meet the Members" now?

2. paisan: please define "Guinea Badge."

Ed
  • storytellerstoryteller Posts: 476
    I used to drive a Caddie like that Bob. It gave me a smug sense of satisfaction when the gas pump jockey had to come knock on the window because he didn't know where to put the gas. Not a problem I've had lately!
    If you look on the back of my trooper it's the small Flag of Italy reflective badge that I have on the back. :)

-mike
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,026
    ....I'm just here to fill the creamers and start a fresh pot of coffee.

Krispy Kreme, anyone?

lark6: Meet the Members will be the spot for new people to introduce themselves and/or get directions to discussions to post their questions. Also, the place for general Subaru talk.

Don't be surprised to see our roving host, Kirstie, checking the counter here for the next few days. I'll be out of town till next Tuesday.

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

MMM I could go for some KREM and KO right now :)

-mike
    You bet, man. A Southern icon moves North and conquers. Many a long study night at UGa and Emory fueled by KKs. Such anticipation driving by the big store on East Ponce de Leon waiting for the "HOT DOUGHNUTS NOW" neon sign to start flashing. They need to get the store in Penn Station back open, at least before my next trip into NYC.

paisan: That's what I thought a "Guinea Badge" was but I didn't want to make any assumptions nor ethnic slurs. I live in a largely Italian neighborhood and see a lot of those. I use the term "guinea" to describe guinea fowl, the small, chicken-like birds that my grandparents had on their farm for eggs and meat.

Ed
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I figure the Baja has about $320 worth of cladding on it. Bag it and give us a 5th cog on the auto tranny.

My dad's Buick had the gas cap behind the license plate. I agree this is better - get gas on either side, no waiting in lines.

Bob: BOTH sides? Now that is just plain dumb.

Karen: I love KK donuts, but no thanks, gotta lower my cholesterol. Doc has me on a diet!

-juice
    In just it's first day, this thread has already made Edmunds top 10 discussions!

Bob
    See how much we needed this topic?

Thanks, Edmunds.

-juice
    It's smart if they both fill up the same gas tank. It's dumb if they fill two separate gas tanks (which is what your post said). Imagine having to gas up twice to fill both tanks.

-juice
    I agree. I misunderstood your post. Sorry...

Bob
    My Forester has it on the driver's side, and the position means you pretty much have to find a certain side free at the gas station.

My Miata is easier - the gas opening is on top of the rear driver side fender. This way I can reach it even from the other side, easily.

I don't see how they could fix that with a wagon bodystyle, though.

-juice
    is to have two gas fillers, one on each side.

I really don't see why auto manufacturers haven't offered this before. It can't be "that" expensive to do. It certainly would make life at the gas pump just a bit easier.

Bob
    Then again, we have enough sources for CELs, and this would maybe double the number of annoying dealer visits for little vacuum leaks. Maybe we should rethink that.

-juice
    I think the CEL issue is more a matter of "how" people fill their tanks, not how tank filler there are. Although I do see your point; it just doubles the possibility for those so inclined not to tighten the gas cap properly.

Bob
    And the number of sources to trace a possible problem to.

Maybe if it were farther back, close to the corner of the car, you could get the gas hose around to reach it.

I like simple solutions. Something cheap and easy that makes life better.

-juice
    The closer to the rear bumper, a gas filler is, the more it becomes a fire hazard in a rear end collision.

I think the CEL/gas cap problem could be easily rectified if there would be just a "reset button" that only involves the gas cap, that the driver could hit. That way you wouldn't have to visit the dealer.

Bob
    Yeah, but to get the government bureaucrats to allow that would take a miracle.

Just read this in AN: the new Navigator's prices are up $3,245-$3,445. Pretty bold in this economy, but the luxury sport ute class is still growing.

-juice
    Another tid bit - VW will produce the Magellan, and base it on the Touareg/Cayenne chassis.

Which is interesting. This back-fired for Isuzu. The Axiom wasn't deemed car-like enough for buyers.

They insist it will be a crossover, not another SUV, and will compete with the Mercedes Vision. And Chrysler Pacifica, though they didn't mention it.

-juice
    I'm pretty lucky I've filled the Trooper on occassion w/o even turning off the car and it didn't throw a CEL! :)

I liked the rear center fillers that my old GMs had either pump worked on them. But a filler on both sides would be nice.

-mike
    [quote]My Forester has it on the driver's side, and the position means you pretty much have to find a certain side free at the gas station.[/quote]

My Forester has it on the passenger's side. Did they flip-flop it from '98 to '00?

Bob: Yes I recognize the safety problems of the rear center gas filler. Neither the 'Stang nor the Stude have head rests on their seats - can you say 'whiplash'? I knew you could. ;-) A filler behind the rear window and ahead of the trunk opening on a sedan might be okay though.

Ed
  • hypovhypov Posts: 3,068
    ateixeira Mar 26, 2002 7:50am

agree with juice on the double annoyance.

Also, you'll have people filling their tanks with both fillers opened (Poodle in microwave theory).... and probably over fill their tank and not know until gas spurts out the other end.

-Dave
    Oops, my goof, I meant passenger side. See? I have to keep trying to remember!

Bob: Ford didn't raise Expedition prices at all, isn't that funny? Shows how soft the big SUV market is, and how strong the luxury SUV market is (with huge increases for the Nav).

I was browsing Fitzmall.com, and found some interesting downward trends in pricing.

H6 Outback sedans have reached as low as $25,249. I had predicted $25k would come soon. There is a regional incentive of $500, and I predict $750 will come back, since that was offered last year. $25k is more like it. $33k really was ridiculous.

At $25k, I think I can get the wife to try one. Still, if the rebate hits $750, and they offer a manual for $770 less, that would be $24,229. That would be pretty easy to talk her into. C'mon Subaru.

Highlanders have dropped in price, too. They now have 4x4 V6 models under $28k, they used to be well into the 30s. Even with a moonroof it's under $29k, but that's without leather, which she wants. So it's still a stretch.

Avalanche for $23k? Oh, 4x2. Still, not bad. They have Grand Cherokees for $23,937, and that used to be a $28 grand vehicle. Most Troopers run $25 grand, but I predict that will dip further by fall.

So, profit margins on trucks is way down. I recall Jeep said it made $8,000 profit on each Grand Cherokee, but with these prices it's about half that much probably.

-juice
    are hard to come by. A lot of dealers are not even stocking them. It's funny cause the Assender is being delayed til Dec now due to crash-test problems.

-mike
    Yeah I just read that too. Although, they're raising prices of the similar Navigator. Maybe they're hoping whatever they lose on the Expedition, they make up on the Navigator, or at least some of it?

I haven't visited the Fits site in some time. That is good news, however—especially about the Highlander.

Bob
    I missed that - it'll be an Audi, not a VW. OK, now the Mercedes target makes more sense (I was thinking Chrysler Pacifica). They'd better fix that hideously ugly rear first.

Even the Focus offers stability control. It's a mainstream technology now. Subaru has to work on something else to make the VDC stand out.

-juice