Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew Cafe

Comments

• kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    That's one nice looking vehicle. It kind of looks like a Mazda 6 blended with a Nissan Murano. Mazda does have a nice conservative yet distinctive styling across it's family line. Subaru could use to learn a little from their styling department.

And is that navi for real? Holy air traffic control monitor, Batman!

Ken
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    what you see here is the concept car, not the production version, which I'm sure will be toned down a bit.

Bob
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I concur - I will venture to guess that cost to manufacture a round LCD screen must be astronomical when compared to buying off the shelf components.
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    purchased a 24" widescreen in lcd dell 2405fpw. ahh 3 monitors in 12 hours, someone hide my cc

hmm portable nav next hehehehehe
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Dumb name for a very good looking SUV. I liked it from the minute I first saw it, which is RARE for me as you folks know.

Should be smaller than the Tribeca. Rear door handles are too high for my kids! And the 3.5l Duratec had better be ready by then 'cause 200hp ain't enough for that thing.

Supposedly Mazda will sell it along side the Tribute, i.e. it will not replace that model.

-juice
    Dumb name for a very good looking SUV.

No dumber than B9! ;)

I'd venture the rear handles are not in their final location.
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    bob, I used the wrong term. I meant "embedding". I believe that edmunds still dislikes us to embed images that we don't personally own, requesting that we link instead.

what I wanted to do was to put that image right in my reply, but instead I put the link. and then I made it all as clear as mud. :D

~c
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    how much did you pay for the 24" widescreen? where'd ya find the coupons? email me at the addy in my profile if this isn't TH-friendly discussion. (i think it should be ok?)

~Colin
    I liked MX-Crossport, just not CX-7.

What's that, Crossover Xover 7 seater? :D

Colin: in the Cafe, anything goes. Even names of other brands' cars.

-juice
  • ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    ok teach, it is 'of' i know, it is the cc making me do typos
  • ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    DOGGONIT ... I posted and what I said didn't post !!!

what I SAID was .... "takes nj's cc away from him and goes looking for more bargains online!"

Bob
    The JDM market is wild!

I wonder if terazzo is an option?
    Many more pixs over at nabisco. I'd be very surprised if it's real hardwood. Most likely it's just paneling of some sort, but still...

Bob
  • kenokakenoka Member Posts: 218
    Definitely not real hardwood. And who would want the headache of real wood in a car anyway? But then again, who would want the headache of carpet in a car?

I like the trend toward versatility and utility in the JDM. It sure does make for some funky looking cars, but it really serves the needs of the buying public better than most three box designs.
    I like the versatility of the seats, like how the 2nd row is reversable.

Now that is boxy!

Headlights remind me of the Tribeca's...

-juice
  • jon_in_ctjon_in_ct Member Posts: 137
    There's no really appropriate existing discussion for this kind of stuff, so I'll post it here.

http://jon.in.ct.home.att.net/SubaruDealersMeeting.pdf

This appears to be the tele-prompter script from the executives' presentations at the national dealers' meeting last week. The executives, in order of appearance, were:
    KUNIO ISHIGAMI - SOA President, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
    KYOJI TAKENAKA - FHI President, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
    IKUO MORI - FHI Senior Vice President, Chief General Manager of Subaru Overseas Sales & Marketing
    FRED D. ADCOCK - SOA Executive Vice President, Sales
    THOMAS J. DOLL - SOA Executive Vice President, Chief Financial Officer
    BILL CYPHERS - SOA Vice President, Sales
    RICK CROSSON - SOA Vice President, Marketing
  • rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    ... options will include little area rugs, and curtains! ;) Rob M.
    Thanks Jon. I think this is a very important PDF, with a lot of useful info. I've posted it over in the "Subaru's fortunes sinking - can they turn it around?" thread too (News & Views area). Here are some quotes that I pulled out that I think answer a lot of questions Subie owners may have.

rsholland, "Subaru's fortunes sinking - can they turn it around?" #255, 27 May 2005 8:55 am

Also, there is has been a rather "spirited" discussion going on over here. I think perhaps some Subie fans here may want to add their thoughts, as it pertains to Subaru's future and game plan for success.

Bob
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Disappointing announcement yesterday from the last of the 'unique' PC maker. I wonder if their OS will run on Intel chips, or if they will become just another commodity wintel maker?

Steve
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    Yup- the next version of OS X will be called Windows. :cry:

I think I'm going to buy a new Powerbook before they change.

tom
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Apparently, Apple was already hedging on the fact that they may someday switch to Intel and OS X was designed with Intel compatibility from the get-go (according to a quote from Jobs).

I've been peeking in some Apple/Mac forums and it's interesting to read all the anguish from the decision. While I can understand the symbolism of not being part of the Intel empire, does it really make that big a difference? Doesn't the average Mac user buy a Mac for the OS and cool form factor?

Ken
    As a MAC user, I don't see a problem. If future MACs are better for the switch, so much the better. From what I've read the current IBM chips run hot, and as a result Apple has been having problems getting more powerful versions to run, especially on their laptops. Supposedly the Intel chip will solve that problem.

Bob
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    The screen on my daughter's two year old iBook died last week. She took it into the Apple store. The tech checked it and said "We know exactly what's wrong. We are aware of this glitch and it will be repaired free of charge." They hooked up a monitor to it so she could download the HD "just in case".

She just wrote that she's gotten it back with a new motherboard and it's working perfectly with no data loss!

I think they just got a customer for life.

Jim
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I left the Mac arena because of the super expensive hardware. This could lure me back. Been waiting for this for about 10 years.

-mike
  • rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    .. I have never used a mac. Rob M.
    Just went to FitzMall to check prices on the Saab 9-2X, to see what effect the new GM employee discount program (for everyone) has had. Prices range from $19,4 – a bit over $22K for the Aero model, which is the turbo (think WRX w/goodies). Those are really great prices!

Bob
    Yep, you can get a 9-2x Linear for $16.8k, an Aero starts at $19.4k, with the employee pricing.

Still, they reduced the rebates before doing that. The Aero's employee price used to be $17.4k before this promotion (May).

-juice
  • toboggantoboggan Member Posts: 283
    And it seems that most of the dead DRLs are on the drivers side (if my aging memory is correct). ;)

MNSteve
    yes i continue this silly observation and i am still amazed at the number of dead driver side drls on gm suvs/pickups
  • twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
    I'm not too pleased with the switch but I can live with it. I have used them since 1990. Apparently support for the Power PC models will continue for some time. Anyway I am still planning to buy an iMac G5 17" Superdrive model next month when I get back from vacation. The good news is that since it is a UNIX OS the diificulty in writing viruses vs. Windows will continue. Also OS X will still to my thinking be the easiest OS to use.

As to whether they will be cheaper, well I am not holding my breath. But on the other hand with my educational discount I have gotten their computers for $100 (both of my iBooks) to $250 (my original G3 tower) less than the list price. The iMac G5 will be $100 off. Oh and di you know that iPods are educational devices? I just bought my wife Susan an iPod Mini for $20 off through Apple's education pricing on their site.

TWRX
    That's funny, but it's only true if you're a music professor. :o)

-juice
    Because I also teach part-time, I too have gotten some incredible discounts on MAC stuff.

Bob
    Looks like a Golf Plus standing on its tippy-toes! :-)

They gave it flares and a major suspension lift, that must have an air bag suspensions raised all the way in the first pic.

It's cute, but it looks kinda small. Touared is already not that big so it's gotta be small I guess.

-juice
    I bet its size is very close to the Forester. It has a nice "meaty" look to it with those big tires.

Bob
    I think the upper body looks kinda cute and playful. And it stands up so high off the ground that is where my eyes focus.

-juice
    Yeah, it appears to have good ground clearance. It appears (to me) to be more rugged looking than the Forester. I'm sure it has to do with the large tires and good ground clearance.

I like the looks. My concern is that it's a VW, and that carries a lot of negative baggage IMO.

Bob
    The way they describe the rear seats has me thinking RAV4, it's the same way, and also looks to be about the same size.

They'll use the Haldex 4Motion system, FWD-based, and probably the 2.0FSI engine. That should put it about half way between the base 2.5l and the 2.5T Forester engines.

-juice
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Looks like a RAV4 that's been lifted 2" to me :P I bet neither the jacked-up look nor the beefy tires make it to the production model.

-Frank
    Yeah, the Touarge has rather tame tires compared to that concept (or test mule), I have to agree with Frank there. Maybe they'll make it oversized just to compensate.

The fender flares will make it to production, otherwise it's just a Golf Plus. An air suspension would be a first in this size class and price range.

-juice
    I disagree, the Touareg has decent-sized tires. 255/60x17 (V6) and 255/55x18 (V8) standard. I bet the Golf-based model comes with tires ~ 235 in size.

Bob
    I meant street-oriented, as opposed to knobby or semi-knobby off road tires like that test mule seems to have.

-juice
    Well, they get the job done. Even with those tires the Touareg is highly regarded off-road. Those tires are common on SUVs, in that they were designed specifically for SUV usage.

Bob
    Looked more closely and it's not the tires so much as it is the huge gap in the fenders that gives it the aggressive stance.

That would be pretty cool, to get that high for when you need it but sit a lot lower when you drive (check the other picture to see the big difference).

-juice