Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew Cafe

Comments

• hondafriekhondafriek Ottawa CanadaPosts: 2,930
    Graham I had a good laugh to my self at this description of hurling. As someone who played the game in my youth this is a dead on description, it sure is not a game for wusses.
    Now they wear head gear at least, but in my youth it was played without any protection whatsoever.

Cheers Pat.
  • grahampetersgrahampeters AustraliaPosts: 1,649
    edited February 2013
    G'day Pat

My colleague who is very enthusiastic at the Hurling has appeared today, with nose unbroken (they now wear helmets with faceguards), but big toe broken. Perversely, it is not stick damage but someone trod on his foot!

There is quite an active league here in Melbourne with about seven teams competing regularly. The Irish economy is so dire that many young professionals have left the country (purportedly more than during the potato famine!) and we have hired quite a few; well educated and fit in easily to Australian life. My interview technique now includes the standard question (relevant because social skills are very important in our work) of "Do you like a beer?". Invariably, the response is "Well, I'm Irish!" So far, 12 from 12 interviews.

Cheers

Graham
  • hondafriekhondafriek Ottawa CanadaPosts: 2,930
    Graham, I have always claimed that to play hurling or Gaelic football you had to be a little nuts. On a danger scale from one to ten I would rate hurling about a nine, and Gaelic football about a seven.

Yeah The Irish economy is sad, The western Canadian provinces, mainly Alberta,regularly have job fairs in Ireland to attract the brightest and best.

Cheers Pat.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Interesting to see the resistance and even the expectation of resistance to cooperate. We assume they share tech freely, seems that's far from true (usually).
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,645
    Ah, but the end result was worth all the effort, for sure.

As impractical as it is for where I live, I sure do want one of those. :blush:
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
    Yeah, Miata was a selfish purchase, there's no way I could get away with another one.
    Maybe you could sell it on the "back seats?" :D

I'll probably be able to get away with a selfish purchase in the next ten years, but not yet.
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
    Look how fuel efficient they are - it's almost a hybrid... :D
    Holy monkeys!

I just found out that Ford finally committed to the Fiesta ST! Okay, I'm feeling very selfish all of a sudden.

I really like my Fiesta, but I've wanted the ST since day one. I might actually trade out for the ST. Darn it; I'm usually so stinkin' practical.
    4 seater, 4 doors, FWD, psssh - you're almost being TOO reasonable. ;)
    Hey there, Mr. Pitchfork on my left shoulder, do you come with a twin in white for my right? :P
    The college funds first! (Yes)
    Hahaha! Nice! Just finished paying off the house last month, too. :(
    Nice. I may re-fi, what are 15 years rates at now? I may even be able to go 10 years.

Who has no closing cost loans? Seems silly to borrow 1/4 of the value of my house and still pay for an appraisal.
    I think 15-year mortgage loans are at or under 3% now. I don't know about no closing costs, but depending on your current mortgage terms, often the savings in interest payments over the life of the new loan (vs. the previous one) covers those costs many times over. If not, then there's really no point in refinancing.

Appraisals around here are a joke. I wouldn't pay one of those crooks for their half-arsed opinion on anything!
    My credit union's APR is only 0.75% lower than my current rate, so not worth it with thousands in closing costs.
    So I've been whining about the Miata's stiff ride for a while, and finally I did something about it.

Researched a lot, and found several people running larger-than-OEM tires. Old timers will recall I run a large set on my Forester a few years ago, and that was a good experience.

Any how, OEM size is:

205/45R17
    or 215/45R17 with run-flats (bigger, don't ask me why)

I got:

215/50R17.

It's 4.9% bigger than what I had, but the OEM run flats fall between the two.

Adds 0.4" of sidewall, which I wanted to try to make speed bumps and pot holes more tolerable.

They come next week, I'll try to get good before and after pics. I'm hoping they ride better and fill out the wheel wells nicely. The old tires look puny and leave huge gaps.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,710
    The old tires look puny and leave huge gaps.

I beg to differ. I think your car looks just about perfect with the standard tires. It's really a sweet looking car AJ. :) Will the new ones look better? Maybe, maybe not.

Bottom line I hope it achieves what you're looking for.

Bob
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 30,476
    I hope that works for you, bit it seems like a bad idea..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

I think the flared fenders only emphasize how small the tires are. The wheels are big, but the tires look like a rubber band wrapped around them.

Will get some before and after photos.

I went 225/60r16 on my Forester and didn't regret it. Stock sizes were 205/70r15 and 215/60r16.

It's not like a crazy Jeep with huge tires. ;)
    edited February 2013
    One guy responded and says the ride is better, and he's had it for more than a year.

There is no spare and all 4 tires will match.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 30,476
    The ride must be killing you.. I wouldn't want to do anything to degrade handling on a Miata.
    That seems to be the main attraction.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

edited February 2013
    It is cold now so the summer tires get real hard, the actually don't grip well until warm. Also, it can get a little skittish on bumpy roads.

I could probably have waited a year but there is very little tread left anyway.

Unlike my NA Miata this one does not kick its tail out when you lift on the throttle. I wouldn't mind a little wheel spin.

Per my GPS my average moving speed is just 26mph, top speed 73. Depressing traffic here in DC.
  • volkovvolkov Posts: 1,302
    For Valentines Day I splurged on a plastic surgeon for a more handsome husband for Sandra. 3 boys had been away on a trip for the last week and despite being told multiple times to empty laundry and then take their suitcases to their rooms to put everything away they were left sitting in the hallway. I had come up from the basement and was heading to bed when I remembered I had not checked our front door was locked....
    It is a trip I have made in the dark numerous times, but not with 3 suitcases lying in wait ready to pounce. As best I can recollect I stumbled on number 1 and my attempt to catch myself was thwarted by numbers 2 and 3. Not to worry, my fall was broken by the corner of the granite countertop on our telephone table as it gently cradled my face. Luckily there were only minor lacerations but as a doctor I knew that my nose wasnt supposed to sound like Rice Krispies when I pushed on it - something the rugby lads will know all too well. The kitchen was left looking like an abattoir as I stumbled about in the dark trying to get my bearings and make it to the bathroom. Pretty sure I had a concussion to go along with it which didn't help.
    I did a basic home reduction to re-align things mostly but was still left with a face only Zara Phillips could love so Sandra called a friend of ours first thing in the morning who kindly saw me and did the proper job or so we hope. Thing is we have to wait a week to see how it turns out, so Sandra has another 7 days before her present is fully unwrapped. I said she might have to replace her 'trophy' husband to which she replied,"Aren't the trophy ones supposed to be 20 years younger?" Ouch! Happy Valentine's day to me!
    Good news is that my eyes are no longer swollen half shut when I wake up, but that might be due to the fact I have resorted to sleeping sitting up. Post concussion fog seems to have lifted - even driving took a lot of effort and attention last week and following conversations was difficult.
  • fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,735
    Oh man, what a mess! But at least your sense of humor seems relatively intact and appears to have survived the incident.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery and for the successful unveiling of the new nose!
    edited February 2013
    Dang!!!

I'll second Steve's comments, for sure. Hahahaha; your wife sounds like a realist, to me. Just remind her that, as with cars, it is far less expensive to keep the one you have than trade in for a new model!

My wife hates that I have these little LED nightlights strategically located throughout the house, but I've had my share of painful encounters with invisible objects, and those are all memories I prefer not to relive. That said, I've never had any contact as traumatic as yours (hey, at least I fully remember mine!), but I'll live vicariously on this one.

I think I need to get another pack of lights before I head home tonight. :blush:

Very glad to hear you're okay, even if worse for the wear, Nicholas.
  • volkovvolkov Posts: 1,302
    I really like that nightlight idea; I'm going shopping after work. We used to have a bunch but passed them on after the kids got older. I now have a much more serious appreciation of one of my wife's favourite phrases, "Move that or someone will trip over it."
    I would much rather it had never happened, but given the options, I'll take the nose. An inch higher and it could have been an eye, and 2 inches lower would have been my teeth.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,710
    Ouch. It hurts to even read your post. Glad you're okay.

Bob
    If you're serious about the lights, our local Home Depot (probably available other places, too) carries these little directional LED lights that come in two-packs. I like those because they're not too intrusive, but you can aim them down to light the floor without making the whole room light up.

The down side is that they are non-replaceable (bulb goes, you toss the unit). I haven't had one go out on me yet, though.

This model looks a little newer than the ones I last bought, but same basic idea.