Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew Cafe

Comments

• kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Posts: 1,746
    BTW my sales rep told me Subaru plans to have a presentation in Seattle very soon for industry folks and sales reps to drive the foresters. Who might a lowly customer contact to see if he might attend (providing he pays his own way to get there)?
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,699
    edited March 2013
    Did you get Eyesight? I really like that feature. Hope it trickles down to lesser trim levels.

I also noticed that when you put the SI-Drive in Sport # mode, the gear indicator changes to gear numbers (1-8). As the vehicle's speed changes, so do the numbers. Pretty cool.

Bob
    Neither Eyesight, HID nor Keyless start are on my XT. Eyesight was intriguing but seems wise to give Subaru another couple of years refining it. Also, didn't want to wait 3 months for another Satin White Pearl XT to show up (out of the roughly 200 foresters moving into inventory in Portland, there was only __one__ satin white peral XT).

Paddle shifters are very nice and make it easy to control engine braking when on hills.

Wrt 3 drive modes, I mode's relaxed, Sport mode's more responsive and keeps revs a bit higher, S/I mode somewhat hair trigger and offering more ratios to paddle.

Supposedly this turbo engine has good torque from 2000 RPM up: can't verify yet as vehicle's nowhere near broken in. It's nice to see Subaru getting away from the old "on off" switch engines (they may be fun on the track but are a lurch-y pain in city driving).
  • saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 685
    It's nice to see Subaru getting away from the old "on off" switch engines (they may be fun on the track but are a lurch-y pain in city driving). Amen!

In 2005 I bought a 6 cyl VDC instead of the Legacy GT wagon after trying the GT in traffic. My 2010 Forester XT is both quick off the line and smooth.

How is initial tip in on the new 2.0XT?
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,699
    edited March 2013
    The whole idea of having shiftable "gears" in a transmission without any gears seems really weird. But you what, it actually works!

It's all done with computer programming. The non-turbos have 6 gear/steps; the XT has either 6 or 8 gear/steps, depending on SI-Drive mode; and the recently introduced Aussie/Euro Outback diesel with CVT has 7 gear/steps.

Bob
    So far Tip in varies per driving mode, but has proven smooth in I and S modes. SI mode can be a little hair-triggerish. I haven't driven the new base model but found the '09 model far more hair-triggerish.

The XT's new CVT, so far, handles acceleration smoothly, so the driving speed "swells" rather than goes up with a series of jerks. The older XT's auto, at least for me, had a tendency to downshift very abruptly on occasion (resetting the transmission adaptive logic helped for awhile).

In many ways the new XT beats Audi at its own game. My experience in an Audi Allroad was cramped, punctuated by harsh kicks whenever the car went over sharp bumps, probably due to 45 series tires.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,587
    Nice, Kurt! Congrats on the new ride! That fuel economy is pretty impressive considering that it is an XT and it's brand-spanking new.

It's a rare thing for me to hit 28.5 on a highway trip in my 2010 X.
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
    A 60 mile trip to oregon coast, and back, netted 31.5 mpg total each way. That's per the XT's mpg indicator, which I'll check for accuracy soon.

Have not tried running XT on regular gas yet (supposedly '14 XT can, though you loose power and will be more suspectable to knocking). Only the good stuff for its break-in!

XT is having intermittent start-up hesitation, though :confuse: . Will keep eye on that.
    Would be good to know how Forester CVT noise varies with model.

The XT doesn't make much CVT noise. Only time I hear anything is after starting up and driving while engine is cold, for then CVT revs go up a bit.
    When accelerating hard after warmup, all I hear is the engine, which is substantially less raucous than in the '09 - '13 XT.
    What the monkey.... it's -30F here this morning! Seriously? At the start of the month we came close to breaking freezing a few times, and it's more often -30 at night then. But now? This just isn't kind. :(
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    way sorry...been pushing 75-80 here for 3 weeks, spring bloom is 3 weeks ahead on everything. After 3 months of severe drought, we are hurting big time here for our water needs. This climate is crazy.

John/Fresno
    edited March 2013
    Well, John, I'd rather have a little cold than an extended drought! While three months isn't there yet, it's enough to get folks worrying.

We had more snowfall this year than what we have seen in the past many.... I'm just ready for it to start melting. Thanks for helping me put it into perspective!
    Less rain in Portland OR this year than last. Some warm and relatively clear days (60's), but rain will return.
    edited March 2013
    I was in the Portland area for about a week in mid-January. Pretty balmy by my standards: Temps hovered around freezing the whole time. Thankfully, we had a massive warm spell about the time I returned home, so the transition back to sub-arctic winter was not too much of a system shock!

We're supposed to break freezing during the day starting tomorrow, so I'm gonna call winter done within the next 3-4 weeks! :shades:
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Belated congrats, and I'm jealous! The wife has few miles on her 09 so not looking for a trade right now, but wish I was!
    With half of vehicle stopped on gravel and other half near asphalt, and X-mode engaged, '14 XT simply accelerated onto the roadway without any wheel slip whatever. My previous '09 XT, on similar road setup, spun a wheel or two from time to time.

You might want to sit in seats for awhile to make sure they are comfortable - XT touring leather's seems stiffer than '09's.

Ride and handling seem well suited for Oregon roads: taut without being harsh, eats up sharp bumps, and while not track car, leans less in turns than '09.

New hidden venting does fine job of directing bugs into the intercooler - got more bugs in the '14's in two weeks than I got in the '09 for 4-6 months :surprise: Still, nice to have better road view __and__ not be advertising that car has sporting nature.
    She's a sleeper now. :shades:
    Kurt, what color is your car's interior? The black leather on my Fiesta was quite firm when I first bought it last summer, so in the interest of preserving the leather and, hopefully, softening it up at the same time, I applied a leather weatherproofing product called "SnowSeal" to it. I am, so far, very pleased with the results. I'll plan to apply it every year during my annual maintenance weekend and see how the leather ages. The product states that it may darken the leather, so YMMV if you have a light interior.

Most leather seating I see (on cars that get regular use) looks pretty aged by the 8-10 year mark.
    edited April 2013
    XT Foresters for '14 come with only one interior color: Black (some sites call it dark gray - no, it's __black__). Subaru's reason was trying to simplify the interior choices, or they thought black was the only appropriate color for a "sporty" version (IMHO a tired old assumption now embraced by too many car companies :sick: ).

Only time will tell if this Forester fogs its windows like every other black interior car I have owned: The fact that the '14 does so well in other areas made me bite the black interior bullet again. The exterior's white satin pearl.

I'm using Meguiar and Weimen's leather products on the seats. The leather doesn't absorb much (very little porosity to it).
    Should also add '14 Forester is Subie's first solo go at direct injection. No idea if the engine will build up intake carbon deposits ala Audi and other Euro DI engines.
    Service techs I talked to are aware of potential problems but claimed Subaru will provide additives to minimize buildup.
    Satin White Pearl is also my favorite color. Now I'm really jealous!

I wonder if they'll offer intake system cleaning service. We had to do that on a 626 we owned and it wasn't even DI.
    Checked its true fuel economy by good old miles driven/gas puy back in tank method and got 25 mpg.

Dashboard indicator had been gleefully reporting 28, 32, and other higher MPG's during that evaluation drive. Feh - was too good to be true.

Perhaps it'll do better once it's fully broken in and with Camguard in the engine.

Am still impressed by the ride - would be good to know how they managed to keep the ride taut without making it harsh (sharp bumps are well muted compared to Outback and the Euro cars I drove).
  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,475
    Checked its true fuel economy by good old miles driven/gas puy back in tank method and got 25 mpg.

Dashboard indicator had been gleefully reporting 28, 32, and other higher MPG's during that evaluation drive. Feh - was too good to be true.

Check the odometer; my 2012 Impreza Sport Limited odometer records less miles than actual miles driven ... IIRC, only 27 miles against 29 actual miles. I think the gas mileage meter is closer than people think.

P.S. The speedometer is spot on with my GPS.
  • sgloonsgloon Posts: 322
    Hmmm. How did you figure out the odometer was off? (For those of us who don't drive on marked highways regularly. ;-)
  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,475
    Hmmm. How did you figure out the odometer was off? (For those of us who don't drive on marked highways regularly.

1) First verify that the speedometer is accurate at 60mph via GPS.
    2) Drive at 60 mph.
    3) Note the trip meter mileage at the start and end of one minute of travel.
    4) Trip meter error = trip meter (end - start) - 1 mile.

Note that this assumes that the trip meter and odometer are in synch (i.e., they both have the same variance vs. actual miles), your timing device is accurate, and you drive at a steady speed throughout the test.
    I do the same and usually find that it's off by about 0.5 mph at 60mph.
    Youtube offers many videos about the new Forester and other Subaru design philosophies:

http://www.youtube.com/feed/UCoyrcdib1HkM_TWNVMtubVA
    I prefer the videos out in the wilderness. Anyone seen recent ramp tests for the AWD systems?

I do like this heritage themed video:

http://youtu.be/ohQYv9QVIY4
    Doesn't surprise me. Our Forester is consistently optimistic as well. When I bought the Fiesta, I decided to note both the mileage and the mpg gauge reading at each fill up. Month to month, the fuel economy via both methods agrees perfectly (within two hundreds of a point). So, my conclusion is that the on-board computer is spot-on accurate, but the variation comes in the filling process.

I doubt my results would be the same for the Forester, but I can't know that for sure without recording the data. Since my wife is the primary driver of that car, I'm just happy that she usually remembers to write down the distance and reset the meter each fill! :P
  • sgloonsgloon Posts: 322
    Thx, DCM61.

I'll have to try that next time I have the opportunity to get on a highway, or at least a good straight stretch. ;-)