Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew Cafe

Comments

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Yeah that's what happens with any of these systems for the first 5 or so miles they are using the skewed fuel consumption for those miles. Like the gas station is uphill from my house so if I fill up on my way home, I get like 50mpg until I go back up the hill!

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Before you sell it, drive it home gingerly and show them the MPG you can get. LOL
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    ...and may be the most honest used car ad ever.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/11/subaru-craigslist-ad-detroit-funny_n_32- 59522.html

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Posts: 1,721
    Just wondering if other Subaru CVT drivers have noticed surging/oscillation in their CVT's after their vehicles have broken in? :confuse:

The '14 XT I drive surges/oscillates a little in sport mode, and is sometimes confused if I slow down, coast a bit and then accelerate (that situation sometimes produces a lurch).
    First I've heard that one. Most complaints are about too much engine braking going down hills.
  • jd_24jd_24 Posts: 92
    I haven't noticed anything with my Impreza's CVT with over 21K miles. Seems smooth to me.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I think part of the issue is that folks are using the sport setting incorrectly.

Back in the old days (8-10 years ago) the sport modes in most Automatics produced a more sporty shift mode and harder shifts but nothing crazy. Nowadays the sport modes are meant for hard driving. I found this out on both my 335ix and my XJ. If I drive it in sport mode, I will experience lurching, and the gears will be held almost to redline. When I drove the OB with the CVT I experienced similar reactions when I put the CVT into sport mode.

-mike
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Posts: 1,721
    CVT in general works quite well in '14XT. Doesn't drone much and is more responsive than the older 4 EAT it replaced.

But, '14 XT CVT gets weird in sport# mode: while CVT tries to stay in gears longer and doesn't upshift as quickly, it will still upshift to top of its range if user is cruising at moderate speeds. It is as if Subaru were still trying to get maximum MPG out of CVT even when in sport# mode. Unfortunately that slows down responsiveness (CVT has to re-ratio itself before vehicle will actually accelerate). :surprise:
    Might be better if CVT in sport# stayed a couple of steps below tallest ration to maximize responsiveness. If user _wants_ maximum MPG, simply stay in intelligent or sport modes.

Also, CVT in sport# sometimes gets confused and can give vehicle a hard lurch after a moderate slowdown :surprise:
    Scored highest in its class, by a wide margin it's their new Top Pick.

0-60 improved by nearly 2 seconds (4EAT vs. CVT), and mileage went up from 22 to 26mpg.

That's better than the old 5MT, which got a decent 24mpg.

Heck, 26mpg ties the previous Escape hybrid!
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 PAPosts: 1,085
    We were, Steve. He graduated in Feb. and started work yesterday at Saatchi Health, the division that gets all the pharma ad dollars.
  • sgloonsgloon Posts: 303
    Top pick, I think is for safety mainly.

I have the "old" 5MT and get way better mpg than rated... instead of the 24 or 26, I think the lowest avg I've gotten (per the gauge) is ~28mpg. Best is about 32mpg. They say the 2014AT get better mpg than the 6MT? Not sure if I believe that. Comments?

I did recently test drive the 2014, and got a $30 gift certificate to a store I frequent! It is a lot quieter vehicle. Sound system is better, handling on corners appears better. Don't like that I can't get a MT with the big sunroof. What's with that?

Not in the market yet anyway as I have a 2010, although I really love how much quieter the 2014 is!!!
    Generally the manuals have done better than the autos no matter what the EPA numbers said.

Having said that, the CVTs are far better than the old slush boxes.

No Premium 6MT any more? My brother has a 2011 model IIRC.
  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,459
    No Premium 6MT any more?

Yes there is, but weird packaging.

Premium 6MT = Standard AWP, no Moonroof (not even an option).
    Premium CVT = Optional AWP, standard Moonroof.
  • sgloonsgloon Posts: 303
    Yes it was the no moonroof on the premium 6MT that was stopping me in my tracks. As you mention, it was not even an option. The 2014 moonroof is a fair bit smaller than the one on my 2010.

I really don't want to buy an automatic. Yet, I really like the moonroof.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,663
    On Legacys and Outbacks, if you have a dead battery and the electronic parking brake is engaged, you could have problems releasing the brake. See Joe Spitz's link for solution.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/parkingbrakerelease.html

Bob
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,461
    Electronic parking brake; what gimmicky junk! :mad:
    That was just 1 of the numerous turnoffs that eliminated the Outback from my list of contenders.

#1 being the "full-figured" body. :D
    edited June 2013
    I've actually got a '13 Outback in my driveway right now. It's a dealer loaner as our Forester is in for the 7500-mile service.

The Outback is pretty nice, even though this one is a base model. Had a '12 loaner a couple of weeks ago while my WRX was being serviced, but this one seems nicer. Noticed the driver's seat seems to bettter bolstered than the '12 model. Also, this car is much quieter on the highway than my WRX. That's becoming more important to me. Must be getting old. ;)

Bob
  • hondafriekhondafriek Ottawa CanadaPosts: 2,924
    edited June 2013
    That's a definite sign that you are getting older Bob :cry: . I had a love hate relationship with our Protege 5. The thing handled well, cornered like it was on rails, but Geez was it noisy. I went the route of sound deadening, completely gutted the interior and covered all panels including the roof with B Quiet sound deadening then reinstalled everything.

It was a big job and frankly the end result was less than satisfactory, I just couldn't take the noise any more and much to Rita's chagrin I sold it. She loved it, but I am into quiet now and that is a big consideration in any car purchase I will make in future. I tried the regular Impreza before settling on the Mazda3 Gt hatch. The Impreza was noisier than I wanted.
    Granted the Mazda3 is no Lexus in terms of quiet, but is streets ahead of the Protege5 that it replaced and way quieter than the Impreza.

Cheers Pat.
  • jfljfl Posts: 1,346
    For me, the noise was often from the tires. If I were willing to settle for non-M+S rated tires, my cars would be much quieter.

It also seemed worse (louder) when sitting in the back seat of my Legacy. (So if I'm sitting in the back, I grab the iPod!)

My daughter just got a Mazda3 hatchback. I didn't notice the noise when I test drove it.
    edited June 2013
    Was in my son David's BMW X1 yesterday. It is much quieter than our '13 Forester and my '09 WRX. I really appreciate that. Most cars today have decent power and handling, so I'm looking at other areas that enhance the driving/ownership experience.

I'm not wild about the X1's styling, but the more time I spend in David's car, the more I appreciate it. Like me, he's 5'9". I was sitting in the rear seat behind him, and I had plenty of legroom. It's considered a 5-seater, but I think sitting tree across in the rear would be uncomfortable for all. It's a great 4-seater, not so much as a 5-seater. Like other BMWs, and European cars in general, it had a very taut feeling about it.

Bob
  • hondafriekhondafriek Ottawa CanadaPosts: 2,924
    edited June 2013
    (My daughter just got a Mazda3 hatchback. I didn't notice the noise when I test drove it.)

I didn't say the Mazda3 was noisy in fact I am totally happy with mine, I did say in terms of quietness it wasn't a Lexus. :)

Cheers Pat.
  • volkovvolkov Posts: 1,302
    so does anyone know what this car is? Two seater roadster RHD so almost certainly JDM. Clearly new but made to look retro and with an Italian sounding name which I forgot before I had the chance to google it. Ring any bells. I saw two in Vancouver last week.
    "Subaru parent company celebrates 60th birthday"- http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/18/subaru-60th-anniversary/
  • toboggantoboggan Posts: 283
    Hi, haven't posted for a while. My question is are the 2014 Subaru's with manual transmissions still towable with all 4 wheels on the pavement? I know my '98 Outback with the 5 speed is towable.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,014
    The ‪#‎WashMe‬ contest is for you! Send us your best photo of your dirty car via +Instagram and you could win a Meguiar's detailing kit.

Follow us on Instagram: http://instagram.com/edmundsinc/

See Official Rules: http://edmu.in/rules

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,014
    Guess who is in the Edmunds Member Spotlight? :shades:

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Suzuki cappuccino.