Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew Cafe

Comments

• volkovvolkov Posts: 1,302
    edited February 2013
    You guys are all motivating me to spend money. With 4 kids and 2 game consoles we have a constant stream of rechargeable batteries that now surprisingly are poorly managed by the kids who then have the gall to complain the batteries don't last. Really like the ability to identify the single bad battery in the charge process. As you say, one bad battery spreads its dysfunction like a virus as it "disables" its charge twin.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Yeah, over $200 when Lana got a flat, luckily the other 3 were still new.

Another change - the wider section width means the tire protects the rim better than the old one did. It may have prevented the curb rash I got with the old tires. :(
    With 4 kids and 2 game consoles

I got a set for their Wii that comes with a stand inductively charges 2 at once. They have been GREAT! I think it was $25 or so but I've easily recovered that and it's so much easier than changing batteries all the time.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,276
    edited February 2013
    It may have prevented the curb rash I got with the old tires.

Well, better driving will prevent that, too. Bwahahahahahahaha; sorry, I just had to say that! :P
    I was forced towards a curb by a person who drifted in to my lane. Jerk didn't even stop to see if I was OK.

I thought I had a flat so I had to stop.

Happens a lot but this was the only time I hit a curb.
    Oh, way to turn it around on me! Sheesh, now I feel bad about even saying that. :( ;)
    It's a teeny little car, not hard to place in any parking spot. I usually have several feet to spare on all sides. :shades:
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Posts: 1,747
    When it arrived at my local dealership I took a test drive and ended up taking it home. '14 version's possibly the best car Subaru has built, outside of the BRZ, and is _major_ change from the previous generation. Is solid: going over speed bumps that rattled and pogoed the '09 XT's rear don't phase the 14. Quieter: low freq road and a little wind noise; CVT doesn't whine and engine buzz's muted. Goes around corners with little lean, tending towards understeer. Fuel economy for 100 mile mixed mode trip was 28.5 mpg, and the car's not broken in yet. Heavy steel skid plate up front and plastic "trays" line the car's bottom. Bigger inside: more footroom than the larger Audi Allroad and BMW X3. Nicer finish to dash and doors. Seats kinda hard but seat heaters easy to reach now. Many, many electronic display modes give you all sorts of info about the XT (turbo speed, throttle opening, oil pressure, oil temperature, and others to choose from). Navigation system is not quite as bad as reviewers make it, :confuse: but is complex and takes getting used to: there is a 1/2" thick instruction manual dedicated to it. X_Mode's interesting as car takes a couple seconds to "get ready" in that mode; will be handy should we get spring ice.

My white tourer was built in 2/13 (they got here fast) so wasn't first off the line as was my '09 XT. Seems very well assembled - everything lines up and so far only minor soft rattle or two under the dash. :)
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,652
    edited March 2013
    Congrats! You must be the first here to own one!

I too recently took a test drive of an XT w/Eyesight, and was very impressed.

My only complaints are that the seat has little if any side bolstering, not good for a car with sporting pretensions. I also think the rear camera is too small. Why they didn't integrate it into the navigation screen is a mystery. Must have been a cost issue, as this same nav unit is used on the BRZ and Impreza, neither of which currently offer a rear camera. The 6.1" navigation screen is also small, especially when you consider the Hyundai Santa Fe Sport has an 8" screen.

Other than that, it appears to be a great car.

Side note: I'm very wary of critics of factory in-dash navigation units, especially when comes to Subaru. Just like comments on Subaru styling, the automatic knee-jerk response is that it's bad, without really learning how the unit works. Having said that, I do think the screen is too small, as I mentioned above.

Bob
    Yes, Bob, the front seats are kinda shy on bolstering and feel rather hard. Hopefully they will soften up a little in time.

The day/night mirror has a faint rectangular cutout that suggests it might have been designed to accommodate a rear vision display, but it would have been smaller than the current display screen. And yes, it was probably easier to connect the camera to a new display than reworking the nav unit to do the job.

I certainly don't miss the booming/bouncing the older XT did when going over speed bumps. The '14 is much better damped.
    BTW my sales rep told me Subaru plans to have a presentation in Seattle very soon for industry folks and sales reps to drive the foresters. Who might a lowly customer contact to see if he might attend (providing he pays his own way to get there)?
    edited March 2013
    Did you get Eyesight? I really like that feature. Hope it trickles down to lesser trim levels.

I also noticed that when you put the SI-Drive in Sport # mode, the gear indicator changes to gear numbers (1-8). As the vehicle's speed changes, so do the numbers. Pretty cool.

Bob
    Neither Eyesight, HID nor Keyless start are on my XT. Eyesight was intriguing but seems wise to give Subaru another couple of years refining it. Also, didn't want to wait 3 months for another Satin White Pearl XT to show up (out of the roughly 200 foresters moving into inventory in Portland, there was only __one__ satin white peral XT).

Paddle shifters are very nice and make it easy to control engine braking when on hills.

Wrt 3 drive modes, I mode's relaxed, Sport mode's more responsive and keeps revs a bit higher, S/I mode somewhat hair trigger and offering more ratios to paddle.

Supposedly this turbo engine has good torque from 2000 RPM up: can't verify yet as vehicle's nowhere near broken in. It's nice to see Subaru getting away from the old "on off" switch engines (they may be fun on the track but are a lurch-y pain in city driving).
  • saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 680
    It's nice to see Subaru getting away from the old "on off" switch engines (they may be fun on the track but are a lurch-y pain in city driving). Amen!

In 2005 I bought a 6 cyl VDC instead of the Legacy GT wagon after trying the GT in traffic. My 2010 Forester XT is both quick off the line and smooth.

How is initial tip in on the new 2.0XT?
    edited March 2013
    The whole idea of having shiftable "gears" in a transmission without any gears seems really weird. But you what, it actually works!

It's all done with computer programming. The non-turbos have 6 gear/steps; the XT has either 6 or 8 gear/steps, depending on SI-Drive mode; and the recently introduced Aussie/Euro Outback diesel with CVT has 7 gear/steps.

Bob
    So far Tip in varies per driving mode, but has proven smooth in I and S modes. SI mode can be a little hair-triggerish. I haven't driven the new base model but found the '09 model far more hair-triggerish.

The XT's new CVT, so far, handles acceleration smoothly, so the driving speed "swells" rather than goes up with a series of jerks. The older XT's auto, at least for me, had a tendency to downshift very abruptly on occasion (resetting the transmission adaptive logic helped for awhile).

In many ways the new XT beats Audi at its own game. My experience in an Audi Allroad was cramped, punctuated by harsh kicks whenever the car went over sharp bumps, probably due to 45 series tires.
    Nice, Kurt! Congrats on the new ride! That fuel economy is pretty impressive considering that it is an XT and it's brand-spanking new.

It's a rare thing for me to hit 28.5 on a highway trip in my 2010 X.
    A 60 mile trip to oregon coast, and back, netted 31.5 mpg total each way. That's per the XT's mpg indicator, which I'll check for accuracy soon.

Have not tried running XT on regular gas yet (supposedly '14 XT can, though you loose power and will be more suspectable to knocking). Only the good stuff for its break-in!

XT is having intermittent start-up hesitation, though :confuse: . Will keep eye on that.
    Would be good to know how Forester CVT noise varies with model.

The XT doesn't make much CVT noise. Only time I hear anything is after starting up and driving while engine is cold, for then CVT revs go up a bit.
    When accelerating hard after warmup, all I hear is the engine, which is substantially less raucous than in the '09 - '13 XT.
    What the monkey.... it's -30F here this morning! Seriously? At the start of the month we came close to breaking freezing a few times, and it's more often -30 at night then. But now? This just isn't kind. :(