Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew Cafe

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I saw another video where the Forester went the farthest, but you're right, the OE tires leave much to be desired.

They're not even inexpensive, either!
    Link: http://youtu.be/z_gseK09_pU

Why do they wait until they are stuck, THEN engage x-mode?

Before that, watch how the tires fail to shed snow as they drive up, even before they get stuck.
    And here's the Escape one:

http://youtu.be/lmnpsHA4rww

Tires seem a little better, if you watch closely they shed snow whenever they spin at all.

They almost ended up in that creek!

Is it me or did they turn back in the Escape, but kept going in the Forester?
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,267
    That's funny! I could have probably towed them through that piddly crap with my '10, without X-drive or the CVT tranny that saved their incompetent butts.

But, their point was made: Even with Subaru's all-wheel drive and ground clearance, get proper snow tires! ;)
    Airing down the tires may have helped a little bit, too.

But why does an AWD crossover need 18" rims? Think of all the unsprung mass.

Not to mention the cost of the tires. The 17"s are expensive enough!
  • saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 679
    But why does an AWD crossover need 18" rims? Think of all the unsprung mass.

Not to mention the cost of the tires. The 17"s are expensive enough!

Agreed! The new 2.0XT is going in the wrong direction with its "improvements". That includes everything that makes the price equal to or more than an Outback.

It is time again for an Impreza GT turbo automatic, perhaps with the 2.0 tuned to actually run on 87 octane.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    edited April 2013
    it is time again for an Impreza GT turbo automatic, perhaps with the 2.0 tuned to actually run on 87

I'm ready for an even smaller Subie engine/hybrid combo. I like the VW arrangement in their new Jetta hybrid with the 1.4 liter turbo, hybrid, 170 hp, AND 48/42 mpg. That's impressive engineering.

John
    I would worry about the sheer complexity. You'd need a PhD to work on that engine.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    edited April 2013
    1.4 liters and, say, 150-160 brake hp from the engine side, not much different than the subie 2.0 liter boxer turbo doing 250 hp.

I do seem to recall that the VW engine might be DI, so from that sense, potentially complicated. That's the way this world is going in order to squeeze more from less.

John
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,495
    Dad had a 1980 Buick Century sedan (the first year they went to the "baby Seville" roofline), and it rode on P185/75R14 tires. Its relative 2013 equivalent, the Regal, has P235/50R17 footwear as standard, with 18, 19, and 20-inch options all the way to P255/35R20.

35-series tires on a midsize sedan? That's a 3.5 inch side height around a 20-inch wheel. Yeah, that'll feel good on rough pavement.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

All that plus the hybrid stuff, too.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Posts: 1,747
    '14 XT, so local techs told me, has adaptive engine/transimssion behavior, so after awhile, it adapts to your driving style.
    In my case, while not being aggressively driven, the vehicle's intelligent mode is becoming more responsive (quicker tip in). CVT also seems to respond more quickly.

Compared to the old 4-speed, the CVT's more responsive. However, the rare but beloved-by-enthusiasts "throttle stomp" ;) never brings immediate response from any Subaru I've driven.

FYI has anyone else here found the '14 XT seats firmer than the previous model year? :confuse:
    They've used adaptive transmissions for a while now.

Rolling in to the throttle seems to work better on Subarus. The only car I've owned that handles the quick stabs at the throttle well in my 08 Miata, it's incredibly responsive.

Worst was a 1980 Ford Mustang. Throttle was like an on/off switch. If you stomped, you got a good 2-3 seconds of hesitation, so much so that it was dangerous.
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,675
    Please take a few minutes to answer our survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/EdmundsForums

It's really important for us to hear from our members and visitors to get direction going forward. Only good things are planned for the future, but we need to gather insights to get there! Whether it's your first time or you're a regular, we'd love to hear from you.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Posts: 1,747
    Almost every '14 Forester review disses the Nav system inherited from the BRZ, saying touch screen is klugey and hard to use. Unfortunately that's often true, and worse, it washes out when hit by sunlight.

However, what isn't said is Subaru put controls on the left side of the steering wheel that let you bypass many screen touches (you can select audio mode, volume, and walk up/down the station list.
    In fact, there are _many_ controls on the steering wheel, including selectors for the center dash display and (through that display) vehicle modes.
    That's good, but let's see a bigger screen. Competitors have 7" or even 8" screens.

The opening is double DIN sized, I think, so 7" should be a piece of cake. 8" would require a new surround.
  • fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,729
    edited April 2013
    The "march to 20" rims" is basically a 'keeping up with the Joneses' problem. The auto writers seem to hone in on anything still delivered with 16" wheels as "inadequate". Why? Track test results? Form over Function.

My OBW came standard with 225/60-16, with all-season rubber. My winter tire package is 215/65-16. Yes, the handling is slightly sharper with the lower profile tires, but the ride is Sooooo much nicer with the 65 series.
  • volkovvolkov Posts: 1,302
    Testify!!
    I have ranted before about the silly big rim trend. Serves no real purpose other than looks in a non performance model. Replacements and snow tires can be ridiculously expensive. Make for a harsher ride. My WRX runs the stock 17's in Summer, but 16's in the winter, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
    Cold weather makes the tires harder anyway and with most of our roads very rough from uneven snow cover during a solid 3 months of our 6 months snow season, I appreciate the extra cushion.
    For the Miata I went to slightly taller tires, also for a better ride. No regrets.
  • sgloonsgloon Posts: 303
    Totally agree on the tires not shedding snow on my stock tires. I'm in CO and my wheel wells get so chock full of compacted snow that I think it affects the mileage. It also affects turning. I have also slid out on city streets with not much snow on them. Not at all like my old subie!

I really wish I had known the 16" rims were available for my 2010. The 17" make the car too tall for me not only to get into easily, but to put the canoe on top, etc. Even losing that 1" would be better. And wouldn't rollover possibility diminish some with the lower profile?

For those who switch to the 16" wheels for winter: Is it easy to reprogram the odometer, etc.?