Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes 300D Suggestions

Comments

• amonra22amonra22 Posts: 11
    Mr Shift right,
    took my 300dt into the mechanic for a valve adjustment and with that a new valve cover gasket, had waste gate hoses replaced, and vacuum valve replaced. also new over flow hose. the loss of power on any kind of hill is now worse than before, it feels like you are dragging an anchor behind you. Was driving thru the Caldecot Tunnel and while i was driving thru Orinda/Moraga up the 24 I was at 35mph with constant pressure on the gas peddle. Question, does each cylinder have a fuel injector or is there only one? And, do you think that if I replace the injector should I also replace the injector pump?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,416
    Geez, I don't see how it could be WORSE by doing those things properly.

Why don't you take the car over to European Auto Repair in San Rafael---they know what they are doing. You can't be replacing things like an injection pump without really diagnosing things, that's way too expensive for "guessing".

• koolfrogkoolfrog Posts: 4
    I plan to tow an utility trailer behind my 300D : What is the towing capacity of this car ? Where can you buy a hitch at a decent price ( not much help on the WEB !) ? :confuse:
  • Hey i have a 1987 300D Turbo. I bought about 10 years ago, it now has about 200K miles on it. I was wondering, does anyone had any advise on how i could improve performance on my car? how about a blow off valve? would that do more harm than good? Thanks
    I'm not sure but I would think not very much....probably no more than the weight of a few passengers. I presume you aren't going to weigh the trailer down very much. This is after all, just a passenger car with less than 100 HP. I also bet the towing capacity is in the original owner's manual if you have one.

There are speciality shops that can fit you with a hitch I think. You should try your local Yellow Pages.

Your car should perform decently as is....short of radical modifications I can't think of much you can do to an old turbo diesel....maybe modify the turbo for more boost but as you know, that is risky on an old engine, as any deficiencies in head gaskets or valve seating or piston ring sealing will be amplified with more boost.

Maybe you could rig up a cold air intake, use synthetic oil, inflate your tires, adjust the valves and time the injection pump---that might give you a little boost and better throttle response.

• Thanks for the tips
    Well I'm not a diesel expert so maybe some diesel freak knows some tricks, but I just can't think of any that are safe or economical.

• benzboy1benzboy1 Posts: 1
    My mechanic told me I had severe blow-by. I went through the car, changed vacuum hose, oil, transmission fluid, and any other part could find to change. My blow-by is not so sever. Can you turnaround blow-by?
    I also think the timing is off. My mechanic tells me it to much trouble with a car that has Sever Blow By. And that I need a new engine. :shades:
    No, blow-by is a terminal disease. It is caused by worn piston rings. YOu can test the severity of the wear by doing a cylinder leakdown test or compression test. You need special equipment to do this on a diesel.

Injection pump timing doesn't "go off" very easily, so I'm dubious about that diagnostic. Only a real expert should ever attempt injection pump timing.

• tijolotijolo Posts: 9
    hello
    I recently bought a 1978 mercedes 300D with 80,000 miles. When I am driving on the highway for a while and then get into stop and go traffic my oil pressure drops down. Most of the time my oil pressure guage reads at the top, 45 lbs per sq in. When it is problematic it will drop down to around 20. The pressure only drops when the car is stopped and in gear. I have been dropping it into nuetral and that has seemed the take some of the load off of the engine.
    One other sign of oil pressure issues is the the air filter has oil that has been pushed up into the filter housing. It drives extremely well and has no problems. Is there anything that I can/should do to help this old mercedes along?
    thanks
    jonathan
    All that sounds like a perfectly normal 300D to me. That's what they do, it's fine, as long as your oil pressure is near the top when you are on the highway.

As for oil in the air filter housing, you just have to keep that clean. Old diesel engines are kind of dirty nasty things or SEEM to be--ever notice that your engine oil is dirty ten minutes after you've changed it?

New diesels are way more sanitary.

Again, just wipe out the housing and keep those air filters fresh in there by rotating them away from the oil scum. I used to change my oil every 3,000 miles and the air filters once a year regardless.

• telordd1telordd1 Posts: 1
    I have an 83 300D. The door locks work but about every 5th time I shut off the car, the door locks will not work. Also, the engine won;t shut down every 5th time as well so i have to pop the hood open and manually shut down the engine. Where do I start? My mechanic is orering the part to fix the engine shut off..is there a possibility this will aslo fix the door lock problem?
    You have vacuum leaks somewhere is the problem. From what you say, it must be a big leak since you are knocking out the door locks AND the engine's normal vacuum-driven shut off valve.

Diesels have no ingition so the only way to shut them off is to shut off the fuel. Benz does this by engine vacuum....so, vacuum loss = engine stays running.

Replacing the vacuum shut off switch may or may not cure your problem, depending on whether the switch itself was causing the vacuum leak or was merely affected by the vacuum leak.

If that doesn't do it, then you have to go on a "hunt" for the vacuum leak.

• richie123richie123 Posts: 5
    hi i have a problem with my 1974 mercedes 300 D. Everytime i try to start it i cant. I have to put a special liquid ,my friend gave me, that goes in the air cleaner. Somebody told me that it was the gas pump but i havent been able to find it anybody knows where it is?
    Once you use the staring fluid, does it run then?

If it does, then I would suggest that the first thing you need to do is probably replace your glow plugs if this hasn't been done in the last two years.

And you'd better be careful with starter fluid in a diesel.

If it won't start even with starter fluid you might want to have a compression test done to see where the engine is at.

• richie123richie123 Posts: 5
    thanks Mr_ Shiftright for ansewring my question but why you told me to be careful with the starter fluid isi it bad to use it in a diesel?
  • tijolotijolo Posts: 9
    my dash lights are out in my '78 300D. Maybe its a fuse...but my blinker lights shine bright on my dash. It seems like a simple repair...but I don't have the knowledge yet. Also, would you suggest a repair book. Thanks in advanced.
  • zero3kzero3k Posts: 6
    You may want to check the rheostat (the dimmer) contacts. Try shorting them with a paper clip or wire (so that the two "pins" on the back of the dimmer are connected via the wire.. this is the setting for "full bright".) If this does not work, and your center console lights are out as well.. then one of the solder tracks most likely came up. Take out the dash panel, and break out the multimeter.. testing for connectivity, and looking for any burned up tracking. If you find any, re-solder, and you should be on your way!
    Starter fluid is a great solvent for washing oil off cylinder walls, and also highly explosive. Too much of it could be harmful, yes. If it doesn't work after one or two good squirts, STOP. Remember diesels are operating on something like 22:1 compression ratios.