Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Ascender

Comments

• Huntera,

My wife just experienced an Ascender problem that might be similar to yours. Thus I am interested in what you have been able to do/find out since you posted the thread two months ago.

First off, the car wouldn't start. It had battery power in that the headlights were normal illumination, but the interior lights were not working and dash lights very dim (this was at night). Plugged car into battery charger and immediately started vehicle. Car was running very rough ("shaking"). let it run ~20 min then tried to back out of driveway. "Shaking" was even worse when placed gear into reverse. Got to street, put in drive and car would barely move. Throttle to the floor and went nowhere. Was shaking/rough running/seemed about to stall out.

So, there is our recap. I am getting ready to call the dealer and let him know its coming his way. I saw your note on throttle response and you dealer's (typical) response. Thought I'd ask for an update.

Thanks,
    Stag15
  • I just baught my ascender 5 months ago. only has 4500 miles. just took a 2000 mile trip and have had no problems at all.. still drives great and like it did when i took it off the lot. GREAT SUV!!
  • If I were you, I would buy a new one at the same price that you are buying the new one for. We bought a 2005 for just a tick under 18k. Do some homework, you will find it out there.
  • We took a couple of trips in ours, one to Las Vegas and the other to Texas. For something being on a "truck chassy", very, very smooth ride.
  • Yeah, i know what you mean. its was a very nice ride when i took my trip. it did great of gas, way better then i had thaught. 200 miles to a half tank. :D
  • I know there was a delay in responding. But, Cust rel says they have faith in John Lytus. They said he was their eyes and ears in the field. I said he was deaf and blind then. I contacted the local union in Moraine Oh and they are working on it with the QA manager. He was disgusted with Isuzu for not having another way to complain.
  • I have an '03 with 66k miles. The speedometer and odometer have become erratic. The needle sometimes reads 20+ mph below the actual speed of the car (The cop said I was clocked at over 80 but my gauge read between 55 and 60.) We restarted the vehicle and it reset itself. Now, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it will just stick at a certain reading. If I'm on the freeway when it happens, I usually have to watch the speed of the traffic to make sure I'm not going to fast or slow. Last night it stuck at about 45mph even though I was matching the speeds of the other cars on a stretch of road with a posted 60pmh. Eevn when I come to a stop, it stays stuck. Took it to a dealer last week and they don't know what's wrong with it and don't have the "special tools" required to test it. Any advice or shared experience would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
  • makayemakaye Posts: 81
    I believe it is out of warranty and you have to pay for it yourself? If you took it to an Isuzu dealer, try a GM dealer. The Ascender, of course, is a GM product. They certainly should have the "special tools." In addition, much of the problems on these vehicles seem to be "software" related and the speedo is electronic. It may be a known problem. Try posting your question on the Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy forum.
  • Thank you for taking the time to reply, makaye. So far, none of the Isuzu dealers I've spoken with in this state, and in California, have ever replaced a speedo in an Ascender. I'm gonna check with the other companies as you mentioned. Thanks.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,975
    "General Motors has announced it will end production of the seven-passenger Isuzu Ascender in February when it closes its assembly plant in Oklahoma City."

GM Ends Production of Isuzu Ascender (Inside Line)

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• makayemakaye Posts: 81
    Sounds like just another nail in the coffin of Isuzu USA, sad to say...

I understand that Toyota is taking over part of the old Isuzu/Subaru plant in Indiana.
    http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/Comments/274
  • Greetings,

I just purchased a 2003 Ascender Extended Loaded S model. It's got high miles (144,000) but other than that, it's in mint condition. There are a few things wich made me feel comfortable about buying it even though it has the miles:
    Carfax checked out 100%
    The dealer I got it from, took it in on trade from the original owner for another Ascender.
    All the miles are highway oriented.
    I purchased a 2 yr./24,000 mile power-train warranty.
    The price was $8,900!

Are there any hints or fore-warnings you all can lend me that might help regarding this year, model, pkg., etc.?

Thanks,
    Steve
    "Isuzu dealers sold just 638 vehicles in the U.S. in May, down 48 percent from the previous year."

Judging by the activity in here, it's about time to shut the barn door.

Isuzu's 2007 Line May Be Final Year in U.S. (Inside Line)

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• lunallunal Posts: 1
    I am wondering about the play in my steering wheel. Sometimes I feel like a have a flat tire (but don't), or that I'm behind a big rig (but I'm not)...or that I just don't have total control of the car...sort of like I am floating. Any ideas what might be the cause of this????
  • A very soft suspension. I have noticed the same thing on my 04. I compensated by keeping both the front and rear tires at 35psi. Makes a difference and helps the gas mileage.
    The barn door reopens a crack!

Isuzu Buying Alabama Land for Plant (Auto Observer)

• Hi,

I have a 2007 Ascender. I live in AZ and hunt and fish. I want to get away from the crowds and do some four wheeling. I am looking for someplace that has the gear needed to rig the machine right. A good bumper & winch, roof rack, etc

Anybody have a good source. I have looked over the net and not much to be found by googling. help

rob
  • chapharchaphar Posts: 1
    I just replaced the serpentine belt on my Ascender, it is a 2003 with 103,000 miles. The belt and the tensioner jumps around a lot and makes a slight knocking type of noise when the engine is running. Does anyone know if maybe the tensioner needs replacing and if there is a recommended period of time to replace the tensioner.

Thanks, Jarvis :shades:
  • jmikelljmikell Posts: 4
    My 04 Ascender has service codes for EVAP, Camshaft position actuator,Camshaft positon corelation sensor. Now I have a little knowledge of mechanial parts but what the hell are these and where can I locate these parts on the truck? And which should I change 1st? any help would be appreciated. codes: PO455, POO14,POO16 Thanks Jeff
  • Hi - I just purchased an 04 Ascender. The anti theft radio is registering "Locked" and the radio can't be used. The dealership (not an Isuzu dealership) said that I must take the vehicle to an Isuzu dealer to have the "code cleared."

Does anyone know anything about this? Is it as simple as having the code cleared?

Thanks for any information you can provide :-)

Pam