Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Ascender

Comments

• 60hzpush60hzpush Posts: 30
    Take it from someone who owns one, the Ascender for me has been awsome. I got a great deal compared to the Chevy and GMC. My dealer wants to get as many out there as possible. Isuzu is financially doing well. Don't forget, they're the ones behind Chevy's Duramax technology. Plus, they own the market in Mid size commercial trucks. I like the ride better than the GMC. if you take any SUV off road, you are an idiot in the first place.
  • troop2shostroop2shos Posts: 235
    It's not the vehicle or necessarily the surface but the "idiot" controlling that vehicle...including the asphalt jungle.
    I guess that I need to find a way to rent a team of horses / mules & wagon to get to my property to check on it from time to time, pull my camper, or to gain access to a fishing area on a stream w/ my gear.
    Everyone has different needs & preferences. Your point is...you like your Ascender for what it does for you?
    I guess I should define offroad. An area that is going to cause any problems for my Isuzu. Granted there are many places that this qualifies, but offroad is not where im taking a 30.000 dollar vehicle. I'll take my junker instead. Have any of you even driven an Ascender? let alone afford one?
    has anyone heard of the recall for something with the transmission lock on the Ascender? I noticed that the steering wheel doesn't lock. Will the recall fix this?
  • redline65redline65 Posts: 693
    I like the ride better than the GMC

The ride is the same as the Envoy XL, I have driven both. However, I don't believe the Ascender offers the optional ECAS system on the GMC, does it?
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    You might find out more info about the recall there since they are identical except for the badges and fascia.

-mike
    Actually the suspension is different on the Ascender. The springs and shocks are different types. The Ascender is called comfort springs and rides much looser than the GMC. The Ascender does not have ECAS option. I think the Ascender has a smoother ride on the highway than the GMC. But because the GMC is stiffer it handles off road better than the Ascender. I thought for $3500 less than a GMC Envoy the Isuzu was a better buy. Not to mention the 7yr 70.000 mile warranty. With a better Warranty and my dealer, which also sells Chevy, is our area's largest Isuzu commercial box truck dealer. Isuzu has a strong foothold in that area. I will not have a problem with warrenty issues.
    At Isuzu light-truck dealers. IE: you can't take it to the med-duty truck center and have it repaired, nor can you bring it to a GMC or Chevy Dealer.

The suspension and shocks are not different types at all, they may have a different valving/rate and/or different spring rates, but they are all coil front IFS and Solid rear coils.

-mike
    Like I said 60hzpush, I could not tell a difference in ride quality between the two vehicles. Isuzu may call it one thing (Comfort Springs) and GMC may call it something else (Luxury Ride), but I guarantee you they are the same components. But like Paisan says, they may have tweaked them a little (not enough for me to tell). With the exception of the wheels, badges, front fascia, rear end, and some interior trim these vehicles are identical.

I agree though, it is a better buy than the Envoy XL if you don't need a lot of the amenities (BOSE, leather, ECAS, heated seats). Especially with the longer powertrain warranty.

Out of curiosity, how much off MSRP are they selling for?
    Mine retailed at 38.000. Thats with leather heated seats v8 the bose stereo fully loades. i paid 30500 wich is a little less than 20%. I also got the 0% finacing. i actullay crawled under the GMC and the brand and make of my springs are different than the GMC. Also the tire sizes are different. There are wider tires on a GMC. This will also effect the ride. Did you take the GMC on the Highway, there is a big difference in the ride at 65mph between the two.
    20% off and 0% financing? Is it a demo vehicle? That sounds too good to be true. Do you get some kind of employee discount, or loyalty rebate?

I didn't think you could get leather and BOSE with the Ascender. I didn't see the options on Isuzu's web site. When I asked the sales guy at the Isuzu dealership about getting leather seats he told me they could have it added aftermarket. Does the Ascender have 16" or 17" wheels?
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    I saw one parked on my street today. I think the Isuzu Grill and slight nuances are better looking than the Chevy version.
    yes you can get the Leather and Bose. It's the Limited version with 17" alloy. I beat the sales guy up pretty hard. He told me that the suspension was exactly the same as the Chevy. As I researched the suspension and found it to be different I caught him in a lie so he gave me a great deal on it. Im sure He still made money, plus dealer incentives. It was also less than the Chevy without leather.
  • jc35jc35 Posts: 1
    60hzpush, I'm wondering where(dealer/sales person) did you get your ascender. I'd like to get one with that kind of price & 0%
    I got it at Bernard Libertyville Isuzu. In Il. It would violate This websites rules to tell you the Salesperson.
  • I just scanned all 11 pages of this message board and took in quite a bit of information regarding the Ascender and the demise of the Trooper (I think my eyes are bugging out now). You guys seemed to miss the fact that Isuzu is bringing a new 7-passenger SUV to the market in the 2004-2005 model year (2006 at latest). It will be based on the Small truck platform currently utilized for the Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon. They announced it at the auto show where they unveiled the 5-passenger Ascender, along with their new direct-injection engine. Supposedly a few sketches were shown, but not allowed to be leaked to the public because they were so preliminary. I think we are slowly, very slowly, seeing their vital signs rise and presence return to the U.S. market. Oh, and for you die hard fans, it is rumored to be named the next Trooper.
    There are pics already. I don't believe it will be based on the Colorado platform, even though that was designed by Isuzu. They have pics @ the thailand Isuzu site IIRC. We'll see when it finally gets here if it's worthy of the Isuzu nameplate.

-mike
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    "worthy of the Isuzu nameplate"

That wouldn't take much given the average at best stuff they have now.
    Hmm, well FYI, Isuzu is ranked #2 behind Toyota in LONG TERM Reliability in both JD Powers and Consumer reports in the mid-size SUV market.

So for the average guy who can't afford a new car every 2 years they are darn good values.

-mike
    Reliability is good, vehicles are average at best. Not good for a company that specializes in SUVs in the U.S. market. That's likely why sales keep dropping in a booming SUV market.
    Yep, they don't make AMERICAN SUVs, IE: Mini-vans that don't carry the stigma. I'll wage a stock Trooper against almost any other stock SUV sold in america, in an off-road adventure, and the Trooper will finish 1st. Rubicon will probably beat it, along with a few others but not many.

But hey if it's a Soccer Mom/Dad Vehicle you want, then go for the Ascendor/trailblazer/whatever else is the "popular" SUV out there.

-mike
    Unfortunately for Isuzu, the % of people going off road is not going up and the number of car based and more car like SUVs is, and that's what 95% of people really want. Isuzu needs to partially adapt to this trend or face extinction.
    Unfortunately, I don't think they are going to, nor should they. I equate that strategy to what subaru tried to do in the early 90s by selling FWD cars trying to go up against the Accord and Camary, that almost Killed them financially, til they realized they are niche player and need to play in the niche market, and not follow the big-boys, cause if they do, they'll get whacked.

What Isuzu needs to do is market to the Hummer wannabes, and the Jeepers, off-roaders, towers etc. They need to use their vast truck knowledge to be an asset. Rather than try to sell to the soccer moms, who's husbands use their GM Visa Card Points to buy Trailblazers and Explorers, etc. They should focus on what they do well:

Diesel Engines
    Truck Frames
    Off-Road vehicles

They could put out a Pickup truck that would rival any of the Big-boys, heck GM uses their engines in their HD trucks already!

Offroad: Shoot for the people buying Hummers, G-wagens, Jeep Wranglers, Grand Cherokees

Trucks: Build a Diesel Full-sized SUV, to rival the Suburban and Excursion that can out-tow both.

Getting down and dirty trying to have a slugfest with GM, Ford, Toyota in the Wanna-be-SUV-soccer mom market is not going to get themy anywhere but broker.

-mike
  • Isuzu left out the diesel in the US market. I guess they make more money selling them to GM instead. I have owned 4 diesels and thought they were the most reliable vehicles on the road. Plus, if anyone tailgated me, I could always stomp on the gas pedal and give them the "smokescreen of death". I've had more than one tailgating, cell phoning, lipsticking, soccer mom pull up next to me at a light holding her nose and trying to fan the smell away.
    You might be right. They have to find a profitable niche and stick with it. They have a strong dealer network in Canada (all of them affiliated with Saturn/Saab dealers) so some fresh product and better marketing is needed. Right now they only sell 2 models in Canada.
  • I went to my local Chevy/ Isuzu dealer to look for a 16' isuzu Box truck, He did his best to sell me the Chevy over the Isuzu, even though there almost identical. The availibility of the Isuzu was much worse. I think Chevrolet is telling isuzu to stay out of the US market.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,153
    Maybe the Chevy spiffs are better and that's why the salesperson was pushing them.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• jimmyp1jimmyp1 Posts: 640
    towed a boat? And, if so, how did the traction control do? I have a medium sized I/O runabout, probably 3000-3500 lbs depending on the load, and I'm worried about slipping while pulling it out of the water. (Paisan, I would keep the 4WD Trooper - the wife finally confessed that the Suburban is too big, and the prices being quoted here are almost too good to pass up for what you get. The Legacy, on the other hand may be ready for a new home in the next few months!).

Jim
    Ok Jimmy, keep me in the loop!

drop me an e-mail about the legacy, so I can get my $ in order.

-mike