Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Ascender

Comments

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    out of the US market or have a significantly reduced dealer network as time marches on, and GMC/Chevy dealers will NOT honor your Isuzu Ascendor warranty, so that is something to take into account.

-mike
  • fm1966fm1966 Posts: 9
    Hey Mike (paisan)--I'm a paisana too.

Someone has to honor the warranty if they're bought out. Anyway, I didn't find anything to tell me differently, so I'm assuming the Ascender takes regular gasoline?

You think I got a deal by the way??

Ciao,

Francesca
    Not sure if it's a good deal but an SUV for 23K isn't bad.

The problem is not if they get bought out, the problem is that the dealerships are dropping like flies, right now I believe there are 380 or so dealers nationwide, last year there was 450, so until someone buys them that would honor the warranty, they will continue to dwindle down to nothing as far as service, once the warranty is up, of course you can bring it anywhere to get it fixed (GMC/Chevy dealers, local mechanics).

Ciao Paisana!
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,184
    Please don't refresh after posting - our software is buggy that way and it'll repost your message. Try the Recent Messages link instead. Thanks,

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I won't do that again, Steve. Sorry if I caused any problems. The reason I refreshed was to see if a response came in. I will check recent messages instead.
    Grazie. :-)

Do you know about the gas? Regular I hope??
    No biggie, just one of those bugs that can't be easily swatted.

Thanks!

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I believe it's regular. I would HOPE it's regular.

-mike
    Yes, the gas IS regular.

I took this car home last night. So far I really love it. If anyone has driven the GMC Envoy and this Ascender, don't you think the Ascender has a little more steering control and pick-up?

Have a good day.

Francesca

Anyone shopping the Ascender?

Steve, Host

• My Ascender has been great so far, no problems yet (KOW) !! Everything works just like it did when we drove her home from the dealership.
  • 60hzpush60hzpush Posts: 30
    anyone having trouble with Isuzu, My Ascender just went through 2 rearends 2 new driveshafts and 2 new transfer cases. Just filled under the lemon law. Dont buy Isuzu
  • gmcmangmcman Posts: 30
    What kind of vibration is it and what speeds does it occur at. Only 65 or other speeds. Does it go in and out or is it constant. Does your vehicle come with the Michelin cross-terrains? If it is a constant vibration and does not pulsate I will bet you anything it is in one or more of your tires. Driveshafts have pulsating vibrations, rear ends moan, transfer cases wont make much difference. Have them put a set of brand new balanced cross-terrains from a new vehicle and drive it. A hose clamp will only clamp down so tight, probably working itself loose over time spinning at 2500-3000 RPM's. I can't believe they would put one on instead of properly balancing your driveshaft or giving you a new one, what's their fix for a bad hose...duct tape? Sent you an e-mail.
  • 60hzpush60hzpush Posts: 30
    it's a 2200 rpm vibration, definatly the drive shaft. Isuzu doesnt know why its vibrating.A field engineer came and worked on it twice, He balanced the driveshaft to the old output shaft, Since the transmission blew up last week and they put a new transmission in, its vibrating agian.
  • hunterahuntera Posts: 2
    I have above mentioned vehicel. I experience very poor throttle response, to the point of feeling like the vehicle is going to stall upon attempt to accelerate quickly from a stop. Dealer says they can't find anything wrong. Almost seems like it isn't getting enough fuel initially upon acceleration through compiuter controlled fuel delivery system. Anyone else experience this problem and have a solution or idea?
  • I have paint peeling on my grill. I see small blisters in the area where it is not peeling. The isuzu zone rep said the peeling is due to stone chips. I asked him what caused the blisters. NO answer. He just said it was not a covered item. Tis is a 2004 Ascender. I have been in Quality Assurance for the past 10 years and part of my job is paint adhesion. This problem was caused by a bad bonding agent in the paint or not cleaning the part after it was extracted from the mold. This is a workmanship issue.
    Who do I call above the zone manager. He does not know what he is talking about. Any names or addresses.
  • Probably all you can do is call or write Isuzu directly?
    Isuzu Motors America, Inc.
    Owner Relations
    13340 183rd Street
    Cerritos, CA 90702
    800-255-6727 Hours: 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (PST) Monday to Friday
  • buy a dealer demo with 19000 miles on it.. pick it monday afternoon.. any thoughts on this unit?? v6 modelclean unit...$19,000.00 good price or am i getting taken??
  • Huntera,

My wife just experienced an Ascender problem that might be similar to yours. Thus I am interested in what you have been able to do/find out since you posted the thread two months ago.

First off, the car wouldn't start. It had battery power in that the headlights were normal illumination, but the interior lights were not working and dash lights very dim (this was at night). Plugged car into battery charger and immediately started vehicle. Car was running very rough ("shaking"). let it run ~20 min then tried to back out of driveway. "Shaking" was even worse when placed gear into reverse. Got to street, put in drive and car would barely move. Throttle to the floor and went nowhere. Was shaking/rough running/seemed about to stall out.

So, there is our recap. I am getting ready to call the dealer and let him know its coming his way. I saw your note on throttle response and you dealer's (typical) response. Thought I'd ask for an update.

Thanks,
    Stag15
  • I just baught my ascender 5 months ago. only has 4500 miles. just took a 2000 mile trip and have had no problems at all.. still drives great and like it did when i took it off the lot. GREAT SUV!!
  • If I were you, I would buy a new one at the same price that you are buying the new one for. We bought a 2005 for just a tick under 18k. Do some homework, you will find it out there.
  • We took a couple of trips in ours, one to Las Vegas and the other to Texas. For something being on a "truck chassy", very, very smooth ride.
  • Yeah, i know what you mean. its was a very nice ride when i took my trip. it did great of gas, way better then i had thaught. 200 miles to a half tank. :D
  • I know there was a delay in responding. But, Cust rel says they have faith in John Lytus. They said he was their eyes and ears in the field. I said he was deaf and blind then. I contacted the local union in Moraine Oh and they are working on it with the QA manager. He was disgusted with Isuzu for not having another way to complain.
  • I have an '03 with 66k miles. The speedometer and odometer have become erratic. The needle sometimes reads 20+ mph below the actual speed of the car (The cop said I was clocked at over 80 but my gauge read between 55 and 60.) We restarted the vehicle and it reset itself. Now, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it will just stick at a certain reading. If I'm on the freeway when it happens, I usually have to watch the speed of the traffic to make sure I'm not going to fast or slow. Last night it stuck at about 45mph even though I was matching the speeds of the other cars on a stretch of road with a posted 60pmh. Eevn when I come to a stop, it stays stuck. Took it to a dealer last week and they don't know what's wrong with it and don't have the "special tools" required to test it. Any advice or shared experience would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
  • makayemakaye Posts: 81
    I believe it is out of warranty and you have to pay for it yourself? If you took it to an Isuzu dealer, try a GM dealer. The Ascender, of course, is a GM product. They certainly should have the "special tools." In addition, much of the problems on these vehicles seem to be "software" related and the speedo is electronic. It may be a known problem. Try posting your question on the Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy forum.
  • Thank you for taking the time to reply, makaye. So far, none of the Isuzu dealers I've spoken with in this state, and in California, have ever replaced a speedo in an Ascender. I'm gonna check with the other companies as you mentioned. Thanks.
    "General Motors has announced it will end production of the seven-passenger Isuzu Ascender in February when it closes its assembly plant in Oklahoma City."

GM Ends Production of Isuzu Ascender (Inside Line)

Steve, Host