Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ford power stroke diesel questions

Comments

• saddaddysaddaddy Posts: 566
    That will include tongue weight of a trailer (non gooseneck) -- correct??? Im just a lowly Tacoma owner, who longs to drive bigger rigs. Hehe, thanx.
  • jcave1jcave1 Posts: 137
    My mileage is also similar to that of Jim Mullins and Jack Topper. Mine is on '01 SC SB 4X4 with 28k miles or so and is completely stock. While I don't tow, others indicate 11 - 12.

jerry
  • mullins87mullins87 Posts: 959
    Yes, the GVWR also includes any tongue weight on your receiver, or bumper hitch.

wpalkowski: I'm glad you posted that correction, I was beginning to wonder if the 4x4 F-250 had the same rear axle as the F-350. I am amazed every time I come across another redneck that thinks just because he has a 4x4 that he can haul/pull anything.
    You need to pull something with that beast!!! My truck acts like it has lost its best friend when I am running empty. But, when I put the trailer behind it, man what a difference. It's as smooth as silk.
    At times I wish I had something to tow. Best I can do right now is a drift boat. Next week will be our first trip. Headed to Spokane WA for a stained glass show. Prior to the show I'm visiting a buddy on Flat Head Lake, MT. The moutain passes in Idaho will be absolutely gorgeous and a blast with the PSD. Can't wait to get this baby on a road trip. Guessing the drive to Flathead will be about eleven hours.

jerry
  • bigfurbigfur Posts: 649
    just announced that ford is for sure going thru with the 6.0 Diesel. should be interesting to see who is the best now.
  • jdtopperjdtopper Posts: 58
    Drift boat? (I'm sure you don't even know it's there, unless you have to back up!) Do you guide with that boat, or just fish with it?

JT
    I've heard you mention your drift boat, more than once I believe. It's killing me. What is a drift boat?
  • lariat1lariat1 Posts: 461
    A drift boat is a style of boat that is commonly used in rivers that do not allow motors. They are generally about twice as wide as a canoe and have a flat bottom with pointed,upturned ends that allow the boat to easily be maneuvered in swift currents using row boat style oars. They are popular in western trout streams and up here in Alaska on the Russian and Kenai rivers.

Does anyone know if the new 6.0l powerstroke is the "camless" engine that has been developed or just a new version of the old technology.
  • I currently own 2001 Ford excursion v10, 4x4. I'm considering trading it in for a 2002/2003 F350 4x4, crew cab, long bed. The ford is currently offering good rebates/rates on the 2002 models. According to the edmunds the 2003 should have heated mirrors and the new more powerful diesel engine. Do you folks think it is better to take the proven 7.3 diesel or wait for the new 6.0. My only concern is that 7.3 has been out there for a long time, majority of the problems have been worked out. The 6.0 will be new. BUT the extra HP and torque is very tempting. Any suggestions?
    That's something similar to what I had in mind, no motor and generally shaped like a canoe. But I hadn't thought of river use. Now I know.

One question though. How do you get back to your truck?
  • Hello,

I saw a few number in this post about mileage and wanted to see some more.

If you own a diesel, could you post your year/model along with your average miles per gallon.

Thanks in advance!
  • cspauldingcspaulding Posts: 159
    '02 F250 Crew cab, SB, automatic, 4x4...
    drove off the lot at 50 miles on truck - 20 mpg. Have been averaging close to 20, driving on the highway at 75 mph., drops to about 18.5, but they say break in is between 3,000-5,000 miles, we now have 2,100 (all in about a month). Towed a load (trailer & 70 bales) of hay about 120 miles, at 60-65 mph, never noticed a difference in mileage. Love it!
  • lariat1lariat1 Posts: 461
    You just paddle upstream, supposedly they are pretty easy to move but I have never tried it. I prefer my method which involves a jet drive and a 330hp V-8 for propulsion.
    '99 F-350 SC LWB DRW PSD 6-speed/3.73 rear end; Mixed city/highway driving, empty, 18.5 mpg. Towing, doesn't seem to matter whether city or highway, 11.25 mpg.
  • Nikiblue1: I am looking at the 2003 F250 myself with the same issues in mind. Is the pain of the inevitable slew of TSB's for a new engine design worth the pain? For me, yes. Given the improvements claimed for the new design, I'm leaning towards the 6 over the 7.3, even though it won't be available for supposedly 6 months or so. At least I'll wait till I can read some actual reviews.

The 7.3 was updated 5 times. Strong design but it had its gremlins. Why did they spend all that money to come out with a new design if the old one was okay?

Ford claims the 6 is 20% quieter and 10% more efficient. The filters are easier to reach and change. The single overhead cam is adjustable and has variable valve timing etc. Less emissions (which may be the main reason for redesign).

For me, I'd rather live with a design that's moving into the future than one that is about to be discontinued. So, while Ford delays the issue of the new 6 so they can sell off the 7.3 stock and parts, anyone actually seen/heard one of these?
  • ksystems: I think I will wait as well. I went to ford-diesel.com and people there stated as well that I should wait. I had a lift done on my Excursion a while ago. I just towed a trailer from Utah to California with the lift. Ouch, 8 miles per gallon average. I WANT the new diesel. I think I may actually wait until the end of next year. A lot of website rave about this new engine--I think it will be worth the wait. Thanks for advice.
    One draw back to a drift boat is that you need a second vehicle at the pull out point. Either that or hitch a ride back to your truck. Drift boats are a great boat. Hard to tip over and we apply an epoxy type resin to the bottom so the aluminum hull won't hangup on rocks. Some drifboats are fiberglass such as the ClackaCraft which are made locally. We also use a small outboard motor for use in larger rivers or on lakes.

jerry
    My BIL just bought a canoe. I can't wait to unload it in one of the small rivers around here. We are planning on taking it all the way to the Ohio River. Our waterways probably aren't near as interesting as what you see. Ours are all very slow moving.
This discussion has been closed.