Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ford power stroke diesel questions

Comments

• jcave1jcave1 Posts: 137
    Be careful those canoes can be tippy. Keep the weight low in the bottom. Sounds like a fun trip.

Oregon has diverse waterways. We do have some slow moving rivers but the fun ones have lots of rapids which means boulders. A lot of white water rafting, canoeing, and kayaking. Just wish I could get out and do some.

all the best

jerry
  • Join us NOW for a chat with editor Brent Romans -- everything trucks! 8 pm ET/5 pm PT.

Click here!

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• bigfurbigfur Posts: 649
    What do boats have to do with powerstroke diesels??? gonna put one in your canoe???
  • mullins87mullins87 Posts: 959
    I got sidetracked. But, they are being pulled by Powerstrokes!
    Everything of course. Sometimes it about how we use our trucks.

jerry
  • jdtopperjdtopper Posts: 58
    Now, where can I find a good drift boat to haul with my PSD (and a river to put it in?)

JT
  • bigfurbigfur Posts: 649
    And people say IM a wise a$$. any one know what a crew cab short box 4X4 6-speed would get with a 3.73 for mpg....approx?
  • mullins87mullins87 Posts: 959
    I have an F-350 SC 4x2 that gets 18.5 unloaded mixed driving and 11.25 loaded.
  • k2riderk2rider Posts: 21
    I'm looking into getting a new F-250 and ws curious to find out if there will be a wholesale body change for the 2004 models? Does anybody have any photos or a link with photos/concepts that they can refer me to? I know all the magazines are always sneaking around, trying to get the "first look" photos. Waiting around for the new deisel doesn't sound like the worst idea either. At least that way I'd have a couple options.

Thanks for your help.
  • I had my 99 250 PSD in to Ford yesterday to have the tranny seal and the stall converter replaced. When I got it back, the engine sounds differently. I've had the truck for only 3 months, but I drive it every day and the difference is noticable even to others. The other thing that concerns me is that when I used to go over certain hills(empty) It would always drop down a gear to get me up. Now, it's not even close. My concern is that it might not be going into the high gear. Before the work, around 40 mph, it would kick into this really quiet high gear. It doesn't seem to do that now. There is, by the way, a chance that this is just a result of me being a new owner.

Anyway, at 60 mph with no load, I'm at 1750 RPMs. At 70, I'm at 2000rpms. Can anyone tell me if this is normal? Seems like it was lower before. I called Ford, and I think the guy thinks I'm wacko. All he could say is that the work they did wouldn't change the sound of the engine, and that I could come on Monday and have them check it out again(it's Saturday now).

Anybody have an opinion on this? Thanks for any help.
  • I have a 6-speed, but the 2k rpms at 70 sounds low for mine. I'd say mine does around 2.2k at 70. BTW: I have a 3.73
  • you have double the miles in your equation for the Diesel. So, 150,000 miles just like the gasser would equal 27+ cents per mile. Then, you can figure the miles per gallon savings from that figure.

Diesels will save you cost if you drive in excess of 60,000 per year...They are expensive, dirty, stinky and pollute when city driving. They are made for always on use.
  • The mileage figures for the gasser and diesel are based on the life expectancy of the vehicle. Sure gassers can, and do, go past 150k while diesels can go past 300k. But, you're right. If a person only puts 150k on a diesel, then the cost of ownership per mile goes up. However, the $0 end value assumption in this scenario is then flawed.
  • Hi folks.
    I'm looking to upgrade from a 1994 F150 xl 2wd to an F250 psd 4x4 xcab. I recently tried out both the auto and the manual. I really liked the manual except that they moved the reverse to the no. 1 position. Found that a little confusing. I am looking for a truck that will last for a while. I have a little experience with diesels, but none from personal ownership. I will be reading all of your posts to help me with my decision.
  • We bought an '02 F250 crewcab, psd, auto., and love it. We've gotten away from standard trannys...as hubby says, he shifts gears all week, he isn't doing it on the weekend anymore.

We got our '02 about 2 months ago, put 4500 miles on it and we both love it.

Best of luck with your decision.

Chris
  • I have an F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 with V-10. I purchased Sept. 2002 after 9-11. I presently
    have 12,000+ miles. Have had no problems.
    I have Lariet package with all available options.

I chose the V-10 over the diesel because of the
    $$$ savings along with avoiding all the mess
    and maintenance. Actually no more heavyduty
    towing that I do I probably could have easily
    gotten by with the V-8 gasser.

Happy in Alabama with V-10.

MPG = 13-14 on the road and 11-12 in the city.
    Nearly two years ago I was in your position. Had a '92 F-150 SC, SB, 4X4 with 150k miles. It was time for something new. Began looking at and test driving new gas 150's and 250's. Didn't take much to understand the 250 was a better value, it's a lot more rig. Then I drove the Powerstroke. Hook was immediatley set.

The tough choice will be V-10 or Powerstroke. I don't "need" the stroke, however it is my preference.
  • Hi all. Hope you don't mind a VW TDI interloper. :)

One big advantage of a diesel engine is that you can burn biodiesel in it. Biodiesel is diesel fuel made from just about any veggie oil (usually soybeans in the US). It will virtually eliminate smoke, make the engine run smoother (more lubricity), should increase engine life, keeps your fuel dollars in America instead of sending them abroad and out of the US economy (support farmers, not oil barons), and burns much cleaner (no sulfur, is virtually carbon-neutral... so it barely contributes to global warming, etc).

There's a bunch of info about biodiesel at www.biodieselnow.com.
    By any chance are you "brewing" your own biodiesel? Have heard that some folks do. They recycle french fry oil etc. Sounds like biodiesel is coming on strong. Too bad for the oil companies.... Ah shucks.

jerry
  • Not I. You need lye and methanol to break the glycerine off the veggie oil. I have two toddlers, and no garage, so I just don't want that stuff lying around the house.

I am seriously considering getting a waste vegetable oil setup like www.greasel.com or www.greasecar.com, so I can run the car on straight veggie oil from restaurant friers.
This discussion has been closed.