Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ford power stroke diesel questions

1235»

Comments

• in our local newspaper just two days ago about biodiesel. In the article it stated that the EPA has mandated all sulfur to be removed from diesel by 2006. We all know what this does for diesels lubricity. They said as little as a 2% mix of soybean oil increased lubricity by 66%. Also according to the article, only a $.02 price increase at the pump. Is this article FOS or is it correct?
  • Biodiesel has incredible lubricity benefits. The most often sold blend is b20, or 20% bio, 80% diesel. Bio would be a GREAT solution for lubricity loss caused by the desulfurization process.

The 2006 ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel) won't have ZERO sulfur... it'll have MUCH less. Right now in the US, our maximum sulfur content is 500 PPM. In Europe, and in 2006, that max PPM will be 15 (yes, fifteen). This will enable us to get all the incredible diesel cars they have in Europe that go 0-60 in 6 or 7 seconds yet get 40 MPG and 700 miles on a tank of fuel.

I know in my 96 Passat TDI, bio makes a huge difference in how smooth the engine runs. Just this week I ran out of my supply (I get 50-gallon drums delivered to my house) and had to fill up with petroleum. The car ran MUCH rougher. Then I borrowed 5 gallons from a biodiesel buddy (so I'm running about b30 right now) and the car is running much better.

The other annoying thing when I was back to petroleum for those few days is that the smoke was back! I had almost forgotten about smoke when accellerating quickly. Thankfully, it's gone again.
  • How much does a drum cost and where do you get it?
  • Cost really varies from state to state.

There's a list of retail sites here:

http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingbiodiesel/retailfuelingsites/default.shtm

and there are many more companies that deliver.

Luckilly for you, there are a bunch of fueling loations in MO:

Convenient Food Mart -- 3714 W. Truman Blvd., Jefferson City, MO 65109; (573) 893-3278; 6am-Midnight

Deluxe Truck Stop -- 4500 Packers Ave, St. Joseph, MO; (816) 232-0000; B2 public pump

Larry's MFA -- Tipton, MO; (660) 433-2131; B2 public pump

The Lodge of Four Seasons - Marina -- Horseshoe Bend Pkwy., Lake Ozark, MO 65049; 1-800-THE-LAKE (By water: Mile marker 13 on Horseshoe Bend)

MO Valley Ag -- 17800 US Hwy 136, Rock Port, MO 64482; (660) 744-5325; B2 public pump

Otterville Mini Mart -- Otterville, MO; (660) 366-4810; B2 public pump

• fordy1fordy1 Posts: 30
    On nov. 4, 02 ford will start producing the next
    generation psd the 6.0 and a new auto trans just for it. of course the rear will be 3.73. I can see
    people lined up now for that new truck. Don't be
    to concerned about trying something new. this new
    psd has been tested and tested and tested again.
    325 hourses and 560 lbs. of the big T.
  • Just bought 99 250 4x4 PSD. Didn't know a thing about 7.3L. Has 40K miles and I'm currently achieving 13MPG.. seems low. Any national brands (Texaco vs. FlyJ, etc.) to avoid. Recommends for oil and how often? Also, what about engine performance upgrades, (K&N filters etc..)
    Finally, online truck parts, any suggestions for nerfs, bug guards, flaps?

Happy Trails & lookin' forward to leavin' the porch, Big dogs!
  • Hi, Congrats on your new truck. Have fun!

Don't have a diesel, but a lot of PSD owners swear by Shell Rotella oil. Available cheaper at Walmart in gallon jugs for those 15 qt oil changes.

I bought nerf bars/cab steps from these folks. (not cheap though)

http://www.n-fab.com/products.asp

Friend of mine recommended this site for PSD

http://www.dieselpage.com/vehtype/pfordps99l.htm

Sure the other regulars here will chime in with their sites and answer mileage question too.

• Congrats on the "new to you" truck!!! No perfume is any sweeter than the smell of diesel exhaust. Your 13 mpg does sound really low. My 350 dually gets around 18 mpg. However, you probably have a "cackler." This refers to a particular noise the engine makes at a certain rpm. Ford claims it is normal. I don't think so. Everybody that I have corresponded with claims their mileage went down when their truck started cackling. Your mileage is consistent with what they are saying. There are some things you can do to help the situation without spending a great deal of money. Go to www.thedieselstop.com This website is almost entirely devoted to the Powerstroke and Superduties. There is more information available on that website than you can possibly read in a month.

Walt's suggestion of visiting www.dieselpage.com is an excellent idea. They have everything needed to maintain your truck and will assist you in anyway possible. With the exception of oil and oil filters, I buy all of my needed supplies there. I swear by Rotella. I used to work for a major trucking company that uses Rotella exclusively in their fleet. They put approximately 750k miles on each truck before deciding to overhaul or sell. Most times, the trucks they sell have body or frame problems while the motors are in great shape. The overhauled trucks are then run 'till the bodies fall apart. I know there are other equally good oils out there, but the Rotella is easy to get and is relatively cheap. I get mine at Sam's for $6/gallon. Good oil is VERY important to a diesel, especially the PSD. The PSD uses a hydraulic system to "fire" the injectors with high pressure engine oil. So, inferior oil is not an option.

As far as diesel fuel goes, it is best to buy only from high volume truck stops. Fresh fuel is paramount to good engine performance. Mom and Pop stations allow the diesel to sit around too long. Diesel fuel will absorb water and grow algae if left in a tank too long. The stations that I have available to me turn over a minimum of approximately 2k gallons a day. With most of the underground tanks being only 10k gallons, these tanks get "turned over" every few days. One station I go to has a tanker unloading almost constantly. I have never had any water in my fuel/water seperator using these stations.

Engine upgrades are even more endless than they are with gassers. A diesel can be improved greatly simply by adding a "chip" along with a high flow intake and exhaust. You'll get more bang for your buck doing that than anything else. Well, just shy of adding propane injection. A little too extreme for me.

Truck accessories for these Superduties are just about everywhere. Only your budget controls this.

And finally, yes you will be running with the big dogs now. Don't let any of the Dodge or Chevy guys BS you. You have one heck of a truck that will do a tremendous amount of work, and do it easily.

Happy trucking!
  • rob999rob999 Posts: 233
    The Ford web site says "Winter 2003".

I assume that's closer to January, 2003 than December, 2003.
  • bmaigebmaige Posts: 140
    I had heard the 6.0 diesel would have aluminum heads, but this site refutes that. Has anything come out yet on what actual fuel mileage will be on the F-350 with this engine and a manual tranny?
    I had heard it would be stronger and use less fuel than the larger and older version.
  • Who manufactured the 1999 7.3l powerstroke. ?
  • International/Navistar made both the 7.3L and the new 6.0L.
  • Mr. Maige,

The prochure that I have from on the 6.0 PSD specifies cast iron as the cylinder head material.

I test drove a 6.0 PSD with the new Torqshift transmission today in a Super duty F250 Crew Cab With a long bed.

I have always purchased GM products as I am most attracted to drivetrain power. I have also driven the GMC 2500 HD with the Duramax and the Allison 5 speed AT. I was lured to the new 6.0 PSD by it's superior power rating and what many reviewers refer to as Ford's better Build quality. The Ford really surprised me.

My father in law owns a 1999 1 ton Ford with the 7.3 PSD and it is loud and gets horrible gas mileage (13-14 average). The new PSD with the Torqshift was stronger, smoother, as quiet and felt more solid than the GMC with the Duramax. I enjoyed driving the Ford much more than the GMC. I was very impressed by the Torqshift AT as it did not have the anoying shiftdown characteristics of the Allison. It felt as though the turning radius was tighter on the Ford as well.

The dealer cliams a 20% increase in mileage over the old 7.3 PSD. Most reviews that I have found claim a 10% increase. This would put the mileage in the 17 MPG range according to my calculation.

The only draw back of the Ford over the GMC is the cost. GMC seems more eager to sell the truck with incentives such as $1000.00 cash back and 0% financing for 60 months. I was also able to find one for $100.00 under dealer invoice. Because of the demand and availability of the new 6.0 PSD they are selling above MSRP in some cases and Ford has no Cash Back or special financing incentives. So now I must pay much more or settle for the inferior GMC. I almost wish that I did not test drive the Ford
  • We got the '02 F250 diesel - it's not loud like the '99-'00s were. Fuel mileage runs 18-23 (city-highway). We love it - we too were Chevy fans until our lemon '00. We absolutely LOVE our Ford. I believe they do have a sharper turning radius than the Chevs., but we also notice that you actually have to 'steer' the truck more than the Chevs.

You might want to check the Ford website www.fordvehicles.com/incentives. I see that they do have $1500 cash back or $500 cash back & financing options in our area for the 7.3s. If you can find one, try it, you might be impressed.

Best of luck with your decision.

Chris
  • Does Ford plan on putting the new 6.0 diesel engine into the Expedition? This would make a great SUV with better MPG and towing. I would like to see this happen since Ford is ending production of the Excursion in 2004. Doug
1235»
This discussion has been closed.