Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford F-Series Care and Maintenance

Comments

• The lights going to your plug will be with your lighting fuse in the fuse box unless someone has installed an inline fuse.

I would think that you have a problem in the wiring of that harness, I would take it loose and make sure there are no bare wiring and check the lights and the lights should work fine, then when I re installed the wiring I would use insulted crimping items to reinstall with to keep the wiring in good shape.

If this is factory done, Then you would just take a test light to the rear and check that plug, usually when you have something added that is usually where a problem begins.

If I am wrong I apologize but from my experience this is correct and I work on vehicles every day.

Thanks Friend and hope I helped you if not reply again and I will try to help further.
  • ray70ray70 Posts: 18
    I have a Subaru Forester. The Subaru folks recommend changing ALL FLUIDS every 30,000 miles. It sounds like a good way to maintain a vehicle, but expensive. I started using MOBILE ONE in my pickup engine at 10,000 miles. My 03 is coming up on 30,000 and I am thinking about draining and replacing all fluids. I have also been thinking about putting MOBILE ONE in both differentials and the automatic transmission. Is the added expense worthwhile??????

Ray
  • i have a86' 150 super cab. wondering if any one has an exhaust diagram or scematic of the system so i can figure werwe my leak is comming from...302, 2 wheel drive..
  • jnealjneal Posts: 247
    Is there a problem with simply listening to the vehicle to see where the exhaust is leaking?? :confuse:
  • nrqlls7nrqlls7 Posts: 1
    I get a five tone code that repeats five times every 30 minutes. What does that indicate?
  • mriosmrios Posts: 1
    My F250 has a 7.5 gas engine but I don't see it listed on the page you referenced. Actually, the only choice that comes up is a 6 cyl. If I choose "Don't know" for body type then the 5.8 comes up as the only choice. What am I doing wrong?

I'm trying to find the engine oil capacity for my truck. Is it 5 or 6 qts. if I change the filter as well?

Thank you very much for any help or advice.
  • betardbetard Posts: 1
    we are trying to find the right fuse for the windsheild wiper for a 2002 F_350 superduty. for it is raining and we cannot drive anywhere. on the fuse cover it gives numbers. if some one could just tell me the number in which it is located it would be greatly apperciated.

signed betard :confuse: As Soon As Possible the answer to this request.
  • timbo101timbo101 Posts: 1
    I took my 04 f150 supercab xlt in today to have the shimmy checked, i was told to bring it back next week to replace two rotors and pads, there is a TSB on this from Ford, so if you got the shakes take her in i got 24,500 on mine and it been shaking for about 5000 now, anyway its a warrenty issue
  • hi this is bard i owen a 2002 7.3l in the little bit of time that i have owned it. i devloped a vibration around 30mph and won't go away. and is it comon for the sway bar link pin bushings to go out. one more thing should a person put a cold air intake on it
  • I START MY TRUCK AND IT RUNS FOR A MINUTE THEN DIES. AFTER THAT IT WON'T START. ONLY RESTARTS AFTER WAITING A FEW MINUTES
  • 1st try replacing your fuel filter and drain the water separator
  • fordjimfordjim Posts: 1
    I have a Diesel F250. The rear lights don't work when I have the headlights on. I can't find the right fuse listed in my owners manual. Can someone tell me which one to replace or even tell me where I can find the correct diagram?
  • anyone know how long it takes?1995 f250 4 wd
  • I have a 02 F 150 4x4. driver seat heater died. Any info on how to repair by myself. Dealer wants $600.00 that I don't have.
  • I just bought an '01 F-150 Lariat Extended cab for $12,000. It has 91,000 miles on it, and is in perfect condition. It's loaded with every option and it drives and rides like a dream.

I was wondering if I could get opinions. Did I make a good buy?
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    You're looking for reassurance - because, in your heart, you worry you overpaid. Wholesale on that truck, assuming it is a 4x4 (you didn't say it was), is about $8,000. HOWEVER: Condition is not recognized in that number. If it is truly in beautiful condition - it's worth whatever you will pay for it. So, unless you bought it to flip it, don't worry about it. If you are gonna drive it a few years, you did fine.
  • It is a 4x4, and actually it blue booked out at $11,449. I'm more worried about reliability and cost of maintenance with the Triton 5.4s.

I wanted something nice and I want to make sure I have a solid truck to be driving.

Thanks
  • Relax and enjoy your truck. I recently traded a 2001 f150 super crew 4x4 lariat with the 5.4 for a new 2008 super duty diesel. I had 127,000 miles on truck and only reason I traded was I bought a camper that was more weight than the truck was designed to pull. Other than schedule maintenance and normal wear items ( brakes,tires etc.) the only repair I had on this truck was at 110.000 the number 8 coil went out. 50 dollars at advance auto
    Well, to any car dealer in the country, Blue Book means nothing. If it's reliability and maintenance you were asking about (you didn't really ask that), RELAX! That truck is as tough as they come. The Triton engine family has won many awards from Wards Automotive year after year. They are wonderful power plants. The transmission in that truck is also very good. You should find this truck to be trouble free through 150,000 miles, and only minor needs after that. Enjoy it. You did well, IMO.
  • jlmaxjlmax Posts: 4
    Hi all - Would a low rumble from the rear when making a slow speed turn indicate that a flush of the rear differential is in order? If so, am I in danger of having the rear lock up on me? I had this rumble with our CRV and the flush fixed it. Thanks
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Posts: 833
    I saw in the latest Consumer Reports quality feedback that the '04 F150 gets it's worse mark in brakes for reliability.

that's certainly the case with my truck.
    At 4,000 miles I had the discs lathed under warranty because they were warped. At 18,000 miles I had the discs replaced under warranty because they were warped big time. Now at 30,000 miles guess what? they are warped again.

I drive my truck pretty softly to save on gas and I tow once or twice per year a 1,200 lbs tent trailer.

Now that I'm out of warranty, I wonder if this could be considered a pre-existing condition and be picked up by the manufacturer. I'm not thrilled at the thought of having to do this brake job out of pocket.
  • 70ss454_man70ss454_man Posts: 107
    Had my first problem! The other day it started sputtering and hesitating, so I had a mechanic friend look at it. New coil pack, pro-line plugs, fuel filter, and its like new!
  • hd82hd82 Posts: 13
    What is "Purple Oil" and is the interval mileage different than conventional oil. I was told by another F-250 Turbo Diesel owner he switched to Purple Oil and now instead of changing every 5,000 miles he changes at 10,000 intervals. I have a '07 F-250 Crew Cab LWB Auto with 16,000 miles on it. Have been using conventional oil and it gets costly when you drive 800 miles a week. Would the cost of Purple be justified by the longer interval between changes? Do I need to use a longer life filter? Are there any changes that need to made to anything?
    Thanks, awaiting any and all help, hd82
  • wsbfordwsbford Posts: 2
    My 1994 F150 has a fuel system problem. Apparently fuel from the rear fuel tank returns to the front tank, causing an over fill. What is the cause of this problem?
    Does this indicate a problem with the FDM in the front tank or something else?
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Posts: 493
    I don't remember exactly how the '94 is set up. I believe there's just a high pressure fuel pump in each tank that's controlled by the dashboard switch and check valves between the two. If the check valve on one pump fails, then that tank gets filled up by the pump in the opposite tank when it's running.

Fuel pumps are accessed from the top of the tank, so you've either got to drop the tank or take off the pickup bed. :(
  • wsbfordwsbford Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info., didn't want to purchase a costly fuel pump assembly without being sure.
  • egreen3egreen3 Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 F150 with the 5.4L V-8 and closing in on 100k miles. I don't see anywhere that a timing belt/chain replacement is recommended at a particular interval like some cars at around 100k. Is that right?
    Timing chains do not normally need replacement.
  • Got a 05 F150 with the keypad on the door but I don't have the factory code to re-set it. The dealer wants to much money. Any ideas?
  • hd82hd82 Posts: 13
    Good luck! I have the same problem, no factory card. I took my F-250 into the dealer for service and figured :confuse: as long as they had it hooked to the computer perhaps they could get the code for me. Not on your life, thats an $80.00 extra charge to punch in a few keys and get the damn thing! :mad: