Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-Series Care and Maintenance

2»

Comments

• aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    I saw in the latest Consumer Reports quality feedback that the '04 F150 gets it's worse mark in brakes for reliability.

that's certainly the case with my truck.
    At 4,000 miles I had the discs lathed under warranty because they were warped. At 18,000 miles I had the discs replaced under warranty because they were warped big time. Now at 30,000 miles guess what? they are warped again.

I drive my truck pretty softly to save on gas and I tow once or twice per year a 1,200 lbs tent trailer.

Now that I'm out of warranty, I wonder if this could be considered a pre-existing condition and be picked up by the manufacturer. I'm not thrilled at the thought of having to do this brake job out of pocket.
  • 70ss454_man70ss454_man Member Posts: 107
    Had my first problem! The other day it started sputtering and hesitating, so I had a mechanic friend look at it. New coil pack, pro-line plugs, fuel filter, and its like new!
  • hd82hd82 Member Posts: 13
    What is "Purple Oil" and is the interval mileage different than conventional oil. I was told by another F-250 Turbo Diesel owner he switched to Purple Oil and now instead of changing every 5,000 miles he changes at 10,000 intervals. I have a '07 F-250 Crew Cab LWB Auto with 16,000 miles on it. Have been using conventional oil and it gets costly when you drive 800 miles a week. Would the cost of Purple be justified by the longer interval between changes? Do I need to use a longer life filter? Are there any changes that need to made to anything?
    Thanks, awaiting any and all help, hd82
  • wsbfordwsbford Member Posts: 2
    My 1994 F150 has a fuel system problem. Apparently fuel from the rear fuel tank returns to the front tank, causing an over fill. What is the cause of this problem?
    Does this indicate a problem with the FDM in the front tank or something else?
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    I don't remember exactly how the '94 is set up. I believe there's just a high pressure fuel pump in each tank that's controlled by the dashboard switch and check valves between the two. If the check valve on one pump fails, then that tank gets filled up by the pump in the opposite tank when it's running.

Fuel pumps are accessed from the top of the tank, so you've either got to drop the tank or take off the pickup bed. :(
  • wsbfordwsbford Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info., didn't want to purchase a costly fuel pump assembly without being sure.
  • egreen3egreen3 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 F150 with the 5.4L V-8 and closing in on 100k miles. I don't see anywhere that a timing belt/chain replacement is recommended at a particular interval like some cars at around 100k. Is that right?
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Timing chains do not normally need replacement.
  • jecksteinjeckstein Member Posts: 3
    Got a 05 F150 with the keypad on the door but I don't have the factory code to re-set it. The dealer wants to much money. Any ideas?
  • hd82hd82 Member Posts: 13
    Good luck! I have the same problem, no factory card. I took my F-250 into the dealer for service and figured :confuse: as long as they had it hooked to the computer perhaps they could get the code for me. Not on your life, thats an $80.00 extra charge to punch in a few keys and get the damn thing! :mad:
  • legacy4legacy4 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I have a 1996 f-350 4x4 Power Stroke, everything on the brake system has been replace and I still have a soft pedal that goes to the floor.( Rep. ft pads, master, vac. pump ,booster, rear shoes,drums,hard ware, raves valve, calipers. I need help, any ideas
    thanks
    If your dealer is nice, likes you, or you know someone there, they'll help you out. Otherwise, this is a service they provide for a fee, and personally, I'll pay $80 for the convience of using the keypad, and have done so, anytime. In fact, I'm pretty sure I paid $100 for the code once.

Hell, $80 won't fill the tank on these trucks, don't be so cheap! You're talking one tank of gas.
  • todd34todd34 Member Posts: 1
    Ihave a 94 with the same problem.I bought the truck it had been sitting for a while.It had water in the fuel system.I changed the back pump and got the truck running.When I change to back to front it pours gas into the front.My truckj has a 6 port valve that controls the gas.When Im driving on the front tank at times its running rough as if its running out of gas.I switch to the bank tank it runs better.Is this a result of the 6 port valve misfunctioning?Ive had a no. of issues with this truck.The water in the tank went into the oil.I changed the oil 3 times.Changed a vacumm canister and hoses,plugs and wires,injecter in the first cylender,fuel filter, as well as the fuel punp just to get it running.Someone told me to change the oxygen sensor,will that help?How much does a fuel system problem like this cost to fix?
  • sekjrsekjr Member Posts: 2
    How do you remove it to get to the bulbs???
  • ford73ford73 Member Posts: 5
    Its has happened to me twice now. I go to start my truck and the starter clicks as if to start the truck and I loss all power, nada, 0. No lights, radio nothing. Disconnect both batteries wait a few minutes reconnect the batteries and the truck will start.. Any thoughts
    Bet you have a loose ground somewhere. Check the negative cables where they connect to the engine. Tighten the all up. May be the problem.
  • fearlessflyfearlessfly Member Posts: 15
  • fearlessflyfearlessfly Member Posts: 15
    I have a 2011 Ford F150 with a 5.0L V-8 gas engine. Could someone recommend the best 5w20 synthetic blend motor oil to use for this engine? Thanks for your help!