Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti G35 Coupe

This one looks HOT! Rear wheel drive, 275+HP, 260+ ft-lbs torque, 6 speed manual, 350Z styling, 2+2 form factor, fold down rear seats, etc. Coming out Fall 2002!

http://www.freshalloy.com/site/cars/infiniti/2003/g35/coupe/home.shtml

Comments

• carshp24carshp24 Posts: 2
    I saw the pictures in Autoweek a few weeks ago. Nice. Maybe this will get the Lexus folks to think about an IS300 coupe...
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Posts: 1,986
    I dunno: it looks pretty much like the Z to me!

G35:

350Z:

Not that I don't like; I DO! But what's the point of competing with yourself?
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,596
    ...included a 2+2 model. I believe that Nissan has stated that the 350Z would strictly be a 2 seater. So, maybe the G35 is a proxy 350Z 2+2.
    The G coupe looks goooood...

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

Don't most 2+2 versions end up being either the [non-permissible content removed] step children, or the "geriatric-option" of the lineup?

Not really a slam, here, it's just that whenever I hear "2+2", the overlong, and overweight 280z and it's successors spring immediatley to mind. Even a venerable XKE 2+2 is somehow less appealing to me than the coupe.

I guess since a two-door competitor is lacking at Infiniti stands it's something that makes sense, but I wonder if enough will take the bait, instead of just grabbing a Z for (I should think) less...
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    The BMW 3 series coupe is a 2+2 and the G35 coupe's exact target. The only other option of an entry level lux coupe is the downright pathetic CL Type-S. Obviously that's a FWD car, so it's not a legit bit of comp for the Bimmer and G.

Also, the G35 Coupe is NOT a dedicated sports car like the Z. they're going for two very different markets. If one wants a sports car, the Z is the choice. If one wants the entry-level performance luxury coupe, then he gets the G or Bimmer.
    Gotcha! And I'm not saying you're wrong, as far as targets and available options go, just that it might not get enough of an audience.

The 3 is an interesting comparison for me, because I don't think of it as a lux/perf.-coupe, but rather as a two-door lux/perf.-sedan. It started its life as a benchmark sedan and had two doors surgically removed, rather than being stretched from a real coupe. Also, it does not have a real two seater sibling, since the roadster/coupe is a very different car, I believe. Same can be said for the CL-s, though from a different benchmark. I think they're successful, in part, for that reason.

I think stretching a coupe originally penned AS a coupe usually yields less than perfect results, and I'm driving just such a coupe. It's nice and it does most all of the things I need it to, but the real coupe is a more capable car with better proportions that unfortunately can't carry my kids comfortably! My coupe's sales are tanking, BTW, while the real coupe's are on a roll.

I'm not knocking the G, but I question whether it will sell in quantities sufficient to sustain it, given that the Z is available.
    Are you saying the FM platform can't sustain different variations of sedan, coupe and 2 seater? The current G's a fine sedan and the G35 coupe sports the same wheelbase, just it's wider has shorter overhangs and a lower roofline than the sedan. The 350 is even smaller, with a wheelbase that's chopped an additional I think 6-8 inches (possibly more).

The skyline's been around Japan for over a year, so the G35's underpinnings seem to be original design of that FM platform. The Z is the shortened version.

And once again, Nissan is selling the two cars to very different groups. Those who buy a 2 seater sports car aren't the same as those cats who fork over for a performance luxury coupe. Nissan isn't targeting the BMW with the 350z, but the Bavarians are definitely the only ones in the crosshairs of the G35c.

I can't see the Z or G stealing sales from one another because they're on different missions. you want all-out action and no usability or luxury, then it's the Z. You want luxury, utility, performance and some choice beyond a 330ci, it's the G.
  • babyloubabylou Posts: 31
    The G35 coupe is gonna sell well simply because it looks so damn good. Styling is the trump card for the common herd.
  • WarpDriveWarpDrive Posts: 506
    It somehow comes across more well integrated without the seam below the c-pillar and more horizontal taillights. Also, a real grille seems to add some detail to the front.

The Z never caught my fancy but the G35 seems to work much better.
    I'm wrong, I guess.

I know there's a market for it. How big I guess I leave up to you guys!

Like I said before, I'm not knocking it, but I'd rather be in the Z myself...
  • hgileshgiles Posts: 66
    If the Z and the G35 coupe have similar braking, handling, and speed then I would prefer the G35 coupe AND the Infiniti dealer experience over the Nissan one. If the Z is head and shoulders over the G35 coupe, especially regarding handling, then I'll go with the Z. One of these suckers is my next car. I love them both.
    I also find them extremely appealing.

But my coupe fascination is over, and my next car appears to be an IS300 Sportcross.

Still, if I could do a third car...
  • canadianclcanadiancl Posts: 1,078
    Both are great-looking but the 2 extra seats (albeit small) add flexibiliy, and I don't like hatchbacks.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 West coastPosts: 854
    ..........I concur with the two market take (G35C/350Z). While I'm not all that sure about your pathetic label for the Acura CL.........I would bet the G35 would tend to make Honda/Acura uneasy. Do we know for sure about the G35 coupe rear seat fold-down capability? ez
  • verozahlverozahl Posts: 574
    Acura has the RSX and the CL. The G is midrange between these, it seems.

The G and Z both look good, but I'm waiting to see how these designs influence the final R35 GT-R that comes over.
    >>Acura has the RSX and the CL. The G is midrange between these, it seems.<<

The G35 Coupe is 182 inches long, has a 112 inch wheelbase and it's 71.5 inches wide. That's only 10 inches shorter than the exceptionally long CL coupe's 192 inches and it's actually wider than the CL and the G's wheelbase offers 6 more inches of space. The G's also more powerful (275+HP/260 lb-ft torque compared to the CL Type-S 260/232).

Sure in weight and total length the G's smaller than a CL, but it's not really a car between the CL and RSX when you look at interior volume and specs.

The GT-R will probably be pretty close to the G coupe. I'd guess they may do some M-style mods to it, wheel arch flairs, more agressive airdams and skirting but otherwise the basic look of the G coupe is pretty clear in the GT-R show car shown last year.
    Well, if the G35 coupe knocks out the CL coupe, then you will be right in your critique of my thesis on that issue.

ARGH! Gs and CLs and ... let's give cars real names. Even my computer has a name, 'Dell Dimension.' If I call it a Dell 8100, is it a 'luxury PC'?

The R35 Skyline GT-R could be sold as an Infiniti and take on the NSX. If I was to sell the R34 or R33 in the US, it would be with a Nissan badge.
    Differences in styling are evident, at least from the R35 GT-R concept.
    Well considering the automatic equipped G35 sedan nails 60 in 6.2 seconds (Autoweek and C&D both got that), it seems likely the smaller, lighter, more powerful G35 coupe with a 6 speed and wider wheels will definitely best that time.

We'll see, but I'd be willing to predict that when it comes to performance measures, even the vaunted 330ci won't be able to hang with a G coupe.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    I'm inclined to agree. 275hp is nothing to laugh at. I won't cry tears over the CL-S because frankly it's kind of an odd coupe that isn't sure what it wants to be and tends not to sell too well because of it. More and more I'm not sure where Acura is headed. It's a value plate, but the relative value of its offerings is becoming diminished. It should start refocusing on being a maker of precision offerings (something already nailed with the NSX, MDX and RSX) because Nissan/Infiniti is stealing the thunder from the value perspective.
    Nissan-Infiniti is on the uptick.
    This is obvious.

However, the G35 replaces the G20 and
    the RSX replaces the Integra. The IS300
    has received some good enhancements, I have heard. Thus, all three compete in the entrylux category well today as well as yesterday.

The problem is the upper echilon. Lexus LS sells, I guess (I do not see them often), but the RL and Q45 are not selling well. I see more RLs than LS or Q45 models, but still, the Japanese big cars are not coaxing any DeVille owners away at record numbers - that I know of. The M45 may/may not change that.

The R35 GT-R in the lineup of Infiniti would smash Acura in the head... but 2004/5 will also see a new NSX.

Short of spectacular marketing and sales of the G35 and selling the GT-R as an Infiniti, I don't see Infiniti as moving away from its 'kinda here buy kinda not noticed' status. As I said, if I want an Infiniti in Michigan, there are only 3 dealers. Lexus and Acura both have 5 and they are in good, prominent locations.
    >>Thus, all three [rsx, G35, IS300] compete in the entrylux category well today as well as yesterday.<<

Um, no. The RSX competes against the likes of the Celica, GTI, Jetta 1.8T/VR6, Civic Si, Tiburon, Focus SVT, eclipse, WRX (kinda, same price), Protege MP3 and upcoming MazdaSpeed3, and Matrix/Vibe. Edmunds' competing vehicles breakdown is here: http://www.edmunds.com/new/2002/acura/rsx/types2drhatchback20l4cyl6m/compare.html

At a price of 19k-25k, the RSX with its 4 cylinder engine and FWD is not in the least poised to compete against the 27-36k G35 or 27-35k IS300. The G35 and IS300 are designed to battle the C series, 3 series, A4, CL/TL.

I'm not sure why you'd even think the lowly civic-based hatchback RSX is designed to be a competitor to RWD entry-level performance luxury sedans/coupes.

>>I see more RLs than LS or Q45 models<<

I'm not sure where you live but in Socal the RL does not exist. For every 10 LS400/430s I see, there's maybe one RL. If that.

The NSX is priced in the 90k range. Maybe Acura will lower the price for the next gen - might be wise given the dismal sales. As it stands now, the GT-R will probably come out to do battle with other entry-level lux super sedans like the M3 and AMG's C32 sedan. People aren't going to fork over 70k for a turbo-charged or V8 powered Skyline/G35 that's got a tighter suspension and some mods. I'd bet on a price of around 45-50k starting. Probably 40-45k as Infiniti will want to undercut BMW still.

As for dealerships, I live in San Diego. We've got a fair number of people here and a nice chunk change goes to bling bling cars. There are only 4 Acura, 4 Bimmer dealerships, 3 Lexus and 3 Infiniti dealers in a 50 mile vicinity from my zip in the heart of San Diego's downtown. With only 4 bimmer and 3 lexus dealers how could their sales be so great? Maybe luxury marquees PAY for the right to be the only dealer within a set space? Ya think? I know I'd do that if I wanted to represent a select clientele.

The RSX is a sport coupe with hatchback utility and automatic climate control. IS300 and G20 and G35 people can sneer all they want. Yes, the IS300 and G35 are closer to the BMW 3 Series.
    The Integra and RSX are as much fun as you can have with FWD (the Prelude being even more exciting).

Don't be lazy, you can click on people's profiles or read other things they write. In the Detroit area, the RL is seen much more the Lexus LS. Same is true here in Ann Arbor.

You want to play RSX and G35 vs. BMW 3 games, but
    how is a GT-R going to compete with sport sedans? It is a supercar competitor, not a sport sedan.
    You want to play with 2 doors and 4 doors and FWD and RWD... so there you have it. The GT-R is a different machine than a C32 AMG prospective buyer would consider.
    No, Shifty does a great job here. But he hasn't compared the G35 to his favorite Alfa Romeo yet, therefore, I'm not sure if he's really paying attention to anything here in G35-land! (^_^)
    Auto climate control? This is a big deal? Camrys, Jettas and Accords have this too. I would say the old G20 was an RSX competitor. But to say a 27k-36k G35 is a competitor to the 19-25k RSX is REALLY stretching. Totally different prices, styles, drivetrains, engines, etc.

>>In the Detroit area, the RL is seen much more the Lexus LS. Same is true here in Ann Arbor.<<

I'd love to see sales numbers because that's a huge shock given how dismal RL sales are in general.

The GT-R will be based on the G35c, and possibly even sport a turbo/supercharged version of the VQ. That size car seems to be directly aimed at an M3. If Infiniti were to release the GT-R for anything over the M3's price, they'd be begging for it to flop like the NSX.

The C32 AMG is designed to be the MB alternative to the M3. You may not be a sedan fan but MB has the M3 in its crosshairs with that AMG model. It's not like MB can goose up a C coupe and make it a wrothwhile competitor to the M3...
    I am not a complete Acura apologist. The RL is a sick replacement for the Legend. Honda should play V8 or get out of the luxury sedan segment...
    and because 4-cyl and 6-cyl are their specialities, maybe they should just let Infiniti try to mess with Lexus in that category. The LS sells more the Q45, obviously, but still not near Benz or Mercedes.

The Japanese need to do sport more than lux. The IS300, RSX, and G35 all fall in the lux/sport range. Some have more sport, others, more lux. Near the $35K mark, though, you are talking BMW territory pretty well. I like German and Japanese machines, so if the Japanese come up with more interesting options, such as the G35, there may be real hairy competition for the Germans.

Infiniti buyer wants to say 'I am different.' He's not really that far off, then, from the Alfa Romeo or SAAB guy... unless you note that Infiniti is not under a GM takeover threat!
  • ligartligart Posts: 109
    Just because the G35 is the first (i.e. lowest price) car in Infiniti's lineup does not mean it competes against the first car in anyone else's lineup.
    I see the G35 and IS300 as RSX competitors whether you guys do or not. I don't run around creating 'RSX vs. everything else' forums, though.

The G20, as I said, is well known for its excellent reliability and good price. It is NOT a 'fancy Sentra.' Moving "uptown, baby" with the G35 may give Infiniti 'BMW dreams,' but we'll see if there's still room for, say, bringing over the Primera to the U.S. market. The think Nissan should.
    Please, enlighten us with how these cars are competitors.

Engines, drivetrains, interior/exterior dimensions, etc.
    Can't really see it either, V.

I just don't see a G35 or IS300 shopper cross-shopping the RSX. As a potential IS300 customer, the RSX isn't really even a blip on the screen...
    I'm not talking numbers and 'dazzling with data' here. I'm talking about the luxosport sport coupe/sedan market as a whole. There are people out there who would cross-shop a Celica GTS, a RSX, a IS300 coupe, a G35, a 350Z, MX-8, WRX, EVO, etc. Qualifications: It has to look cool and blast down the expressway without spinning into the median because of shoddy handling. Price range is roughly 20-30K (and MX-8 is probably overdoing it a little here, as is the EVO, but they are on the higher end of the price spectrum along with the G35).

I'm comparing among Japanese sports coupes. If you want to think of your G35 as a BMW rival, then it's perfectly fine for me to think of my Integra as a BMW rival... FWD/RWD/AWD/etc. is crowding the picture.

If you want to play horsepower games, go join the
    Mustang and Camaro crowd.

The Prelude nailed the sport coupe market. Only problem was that it was not expensive enough to draw on the BMW-wannabes that are looking at the G35 now.