Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35 Coupe

Comments

• erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I think the point being made is that you should not settle for anything less than what you want.

For some a G35 is settling; for others the BMW is settling; for others still, 2 doors is settling... each person's 'settlement line' is individual.

Just because I chose a BMW doesn't mean I'm settling. It was what I wanted at the time I bought it. Now a G35 may be what I want next and this time, a BMW may be a settlement.

-Paul
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    "Would you criticize Jennifer Lopez for not being a great cook?"

Hmmmm. Nope. But if I got the chance to live with her every day (be still, my quaking heart) you can bet your sweet bippy I'd learn to cook for both of us!

I'm not sure how any of that applies to your eager analogy, as the only similarity I can see between Jennifer and the G is that they both have exceptional rear designs.

But I think I know what you mean. I just got back from giving a new STi a test drive. The interior or that car makes the Infiniti look absolutely extraordinary and upscale. But if I don't buy the STi, it won't have anything to do with the lack of Connolly leather throughout, or the fact that the hood prop blocks my view of the intercooler.

If it were a question of comfort, I'd agree with those who make comparisons to luxury brands, but the G has the most comfortable seats I've ever felt on a production car and all of the functional bits are just plain good. For the subjective stuff, it's just a matter of taste, very personal, private, and .... well, I'd rather think about J.Lo.

JW
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    "I'm not sure how any of that applies to your eager analogy, as the only similarity I can see between Jennifer and the G is that they both have exceptional rear designs."

They both have nice curves.

"If it were a question of comfort..."

Hmmm, JLo, comfort and the G? Now that's a combination.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    ericpl has it right. There was no hidden message in my post. I adjust the priorities of my compromises. To me, settling implies losing.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    I agree with the theme of your post but with one qualification. The reason is that while it's great to see a car that is exactly what the G35 coupe is, those of us who take Infiniti to be a luxury brand are going to expect those cars with its badge to be luxury cars.

You write, "It is not a near luxury car." Fine. But, Infiniti has spent a decade trying to present it as a maker of luxury cars! I can't speak for the Coupe as I haven't seen one, but I can tell you that the G35 sedans I sat in had some pretty cheapo plastic and headliner, among other things. Would I fault the otherwise fabulous car if it were a $29,000 Nissan? Absolutely not! However, it has that Infiniti badge, which I'm told is supposed to equate to some level of luxury, fit-and-finish, exclusivity, service, etc.

Now if you're telling me that the G35 is not a luxury car, and is not intended to be, and if that is the consensus, then the consensus must also be that the Infiniti brand is not a luxury brand but rather a we-make-everything brand, in which case the whole idea of separating Nissan and Infiniti for purely marketing reasons starts to sound, well, pretty stupid. If the G35 isn't supposed to be a decent luxury coupe, then Infiniti's biggest problem ("what exactly is the difference between a Maxima and a I30?") apparently has not been solved at all.

The G35 coupe is a 3500lb coupe. It should have plenty of interior fit-and-finish, and those should not detract from the car's "soul" by any means. If it's intentionally spartan or austere, though, then just shoot "Infiniti" in the head and call 'em all Nissans already!
  • robmarchrobmarch Member Posts: 482
    I have an STi, and actually prefer the STi interior to the G35 interior. Another example of preference at work :) I'm sure I'm in the minority. I can't stand when people bust on either interior, though, they're both very well suited to the intentions of the cars, and both have cohesive designs and functions. There are little things about both that are very good, and little things about both that are not so good.

The gauges in the STi are the best I've ever seen, in any segment. The shifter and wheel are great too. The sport cloth seats and the rest of the interior's color scheme, though busted on frequently for being boy racer, are pretty similar to their equivalents in the blue themed S4, replacing the black leather with black cloth. (and nobody busts on audi's interiors)

Ironically, I think the weak points of both interiors are the non-touch surfaces...i.e. trim rings that are plastic painted to look like metal, and large plastic dash and door panels that aren't super soft touch. The WRX and STi are definitely worse in this category. But, I don't spend a lot of time touching these surfaces, and they look decent to me, so I think they're fine.

Of course, the seat mounted power seat controls, (which aren't even an option in the STi) are a source of controversy. they don't bother me, though, but I can see why some people don't like them. I also like the MT version of the interior better than the automatic, probably just for the revised shifter area. I'm not a big fan of the new Nissan/Infiniti automatic shifters.

Unfortunately, I prefer the Nissan Maxima (previous generation) interior to both, in many ways, which is ok for the STi, with it's sporting intentions. It's worse for the G35, because it means that the company is heading into a different direction with their interiors. I just like the dark, soft plastic interiors better than the lighter, metal-look interiors. The last Maxima interior was really solid looking, with nice materials and a luxury look, while still having smooth lines and not being overstyled.

I like both interiors enough that they wouldn't stop me from buying the cars, though, which is the main concern. I went with the STi this time, but could easily have made the G35 my choice if there was an AWD version with a manual.

Have a good one.
  • jerryd3jerryd3 Member Posts: 20
    It seems to me that the FM platform was intended to set a new direction for Infiniti. I can't find the source, but I recall hearing that all newly developed Infinitis would be rear wheel drive.

The new G series is certainly not stripped of luxury, but I think its focus and mission is much closer to the 'sport' part of the equation with only as much luxury as could be kept and still meet a price point. All the aluminum castings in the suspension components, etc. can't be inexpensive. This, to me, reflects more a matter of priorities than a matter of simple cost cutting. With the G20 gone and the I35 on the way out, the G35 is, after all, the bottom of the line for Infiniti.

In my view of things, it makes no sense to compare the G35 to a Lexus ES300 as far as interior details. If the ES300 drives in a manner that suits you, wonderful! Enjoy. But it takes a fair amount of expensive technology to make the G35 drive the way it does. If a car drives like a G35 and has an interior like an ES300, I would expect it to cost more than either of those do. The G35 has comparable features to other 'near luxury' cars. What I should have said is that it is not JUST a near luxury car, because that is not its focus.

jwilson1

My analogy with Jennifer was an attempt to make the point that when one analyzes greatness, it is somewhat beside the point to focus on and be overly critical of areas that are on the periphery of the objects (or person's) area of expertise.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    the upshot is that if the G35 were (badged as) a Nissan, many of these issues would go away, as they have with the 350Z.

Apparently, with the Infiniti badge come certain expectations. I'm guessing that the enthusiasts who populate these boards (for the most part) could care less, but the fact is that a "luxury" badge carries a certain amount of baggage/expectations for the others.

Happiness = Reality - Expectations.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • gpwatfrdgpwatfrd Member Posts: 76
    Having been through 3 Lexus vehicle I would say the Infiniti cars might not have the beautiful appearance the Lexus interior has but the quality is not far off. My wife's A6 has far better quality material than the 02 ES300 that is in our family BUT I prefer the look of the ES300 interior. Now if you could only get high quality materials, appearance and a wealth of luxury features all in one.... That is without having to spend 40K and up.

IMO Infiniti has put enough luxury into the coupe to compete with the likes of 3 series/C class/x-type/A4/ES300/IS300 etc. while holding a clear advantage in all aspects of performance (other than the 330ci)
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,427
    "Once you redline it in 2nd gear, the snarl of its exhaust entrances you. Once you slice through that curve posted Caution 25 MPH at 60 with a huge silly grin on your face that you can't get rid of..."

Hmmmm, sounds an awful lot like my '01 Prelude Type SH which stickered for around $10,000 less than a loaded up G35 Coupe 6MT which has higher quality dash materials than the G35 Coupe. My sister's Jetta VR6 has some damn fine quality interior materials too. I believe it stickered somewhere in the low $20K range.

Infiniti is Nissan's luxury division. They're also trying to position themselves as the Japanese BMW trying to make "driver's cars." Cars like the G35 & FX show Infiniti's commitiment to doing so. The Japanese luxury brands (Acura, Lexus, Infiniti) set out originally to build a car that surpasses its european competition in every way, including price. The materials used in the dash definitely seem like they are cost cutting. There is nothing wrong with cost cutting. Again, I think we may see some improved materials possibly in mid-'04. The japanese engineers are flexible.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I understand exactly what you're saying and having looked at the G35 Coupe (one of the few Japenese cars that really holds my attention) some of the interior details reek of cost cutting. In more than a few instances it seems like the car suffers from a rush right to left drive conversion. But I agree the other merits of the car should outweigh such smallish details, but after the driving calms down you'll notice these things a little more, and it couldn't possibly cost Infiniti that much more to make this car's interior at least match it's otherwise impressive resume. A few detail changes would make this car that much greater.

M
  • kfhmailkfhmail Member Posts: 199
    This is taken from Autospies.com

Infiniti G35 Sport Coupe

Designed from the ground up on the racing-inspired FM (Front Mid-ship) platform, the Infiniti G35 Sport Coupe offers all of the advanced technology, leading-edge design and luxury amenities of the Infiniti G35 Sport Sedan but in a stylish, two-door body. The G35 Sport Coupe features a long list of standard performance features, including a 280 horsepower 3.5-liter DOHC V6 mated to a choice of a 6-speed manual transmission or 5-speed electronically controlled automatic with manual shift mode. The G35 Sport Coupe receives minor enhancements for the 2004 model year.

Enhancements to the 2004 G35 Sport Coupe include:
    ·New front center console for Coupe Leather 6M/T model (adds center armrest and an additional front cupholder)
    ·Improved standard 6-disc CD changer (with faster operation)
    ·Standard Tire Pressure Monitor System
    ·Engine will meet LEV2 standard for emission control (beginning with October production)
    ·Twilight Blue exterior color added

Infiniti G35 Sport Sedan

The 2004 G35 Sport Sedan expresses Infiniti’s bold new direction of combining leading-edge design and technology, driver-oriented performance and a high level of luxury. The G35 comes standard with a 260-horsepower 3.5-liter V6, 5-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode or close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission, 4-wheel independent multi-link suspension and rear-wheel drive.

Enhancements to the 2004 G35 Sport Sedan include:
    ·Standard heated outside mirrors on all models
    ·17-inch wheels now standard on all models
    ·Standard rear limited-slip differential on Leather 6MT model
    ·Heated front seats and 4-way power front passenger's seat standard on Leather, Leather 6M/T models
    ·Engine will meet LEV2 standard for emission control (beginning with October production)
    ·Two new exterior colors – Diamond Graphite, Twilight Blue (previously available)
  • supra880supra880 Member Posts: 9
    A couple of questions about these changes for the Coupe:

- New center armrest with additional cupholder: how many front cupholders does the G35C have now? Only one? That seems a bit absurd (I know of many GM makes that have just one cupholder up front...).

- Standard Tire Pressure Monitor System: Will this have a display somewhere in the cluster, showing tire pressures for each tire, or will this be a warning light indicating a tire has low pressure?

- When will the 2004MY G35Cs be released?

I know some of these questions may not be immediately answered, but I will be purchasing a Coupe soon, and would like to know if I should hold off until the 2004s come out. (Speaking of which, does anybody know how much more they will cost?)

supra880
    I have a G35coupe. There are two cup holders in the front with a spot in the drivers side door for (standard size) bottled water. But I am sure a jetta or prelude must have double that amount since they are so superior in interior quality to all the Infiniti cars out there:)
  • cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    Orders for the first of the 2004s were placed in June and are being built in July. They will be in the US mid August through September.
  • fantomfantom Member Posts: 211
    ....calling it "the heart and soul of a true sports car" is a real stretch.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,427
    Very funny;)-

More cupholders doesn't mean better interior quality. My Prelude has 2 cupholders in the front (It adjusts to fit bigger cups, but I don't know because I've never used it). And there are actually 2 in the back. For what reason I don't know, I wouldn't subject anybody to sit back there long enough to be drinking anything:)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I agree.

Calling the G35 coupe what it really is - a sports coupe - and it is worthy of praise for its versitile attributes. Attempt to call it a sports car, and you invite criticism for it's numerous performance compromises.

Even the 350Z does not embody the "heart and soul of a true sports car" in my opinion. It is grossly overweight for a fixed roof two seater and has a (albeit high torque) low rpm, low excitement engine and gearbox. Initial reviews of the even porkier 350Z roadster suggest that it is at the opposite end of the S2000 and Boxster in the "sports car" spectrum for roadsters. I can forgive most of the 350Z "sports car" shortcomings and compromises in G35 coupe form. The G35C offers 2+2 passenger versitility, a sunroof and other amenities along with only slightly diminished performance. If I want a "true sports car", I'll take my S2000 over anything made by Nissan or Infiniti anyday; but if I'm looking for a 2+2 coupe, the G35C is the first 330ci competitive offering I would seriously consider.

I also, however, agree with sphinx99. Since Infiniti committed to building a 3,500 lb coupe, there is no "performance" other reason it shouldn't be up to Infiniti standards/expectations of quality, whatever those are. I'm glad to see they are addressing some of the interior items in 2004.
  • gambit293gambit293 Member Posts: 406
    Personally, I could care less what badge was on the front of the car. It doesn't matter that I MUST be seen around town in a luxury brand.

The G35c just plain looks awesome (better than the 350z) and has enough performance to keep up (more or less) with many hardcore sport cars.

As always, it boils down to one's preferences and priorities.
  • jerryd3jerryd3 Member Posts: 20
    I really don't need another debate over what a true sports car is. Everyone has their own slant on that. I have driven Corvettes, Porches,a Viper and put about a quarter of a million miles on various RX-7s, so I think I have some idea.

I did not say that the G35C was a true sports car. I said that it has the heart of one... plus the amenities to make it a practical daily driver. If you find that hard to take seriously, please expound on what you find lacking in its driving characteristics. You might also check out its SCCA classification.

Saying that it weighs 3500 pounds is much more of a stretch than saying that it has the heart and soul of a sports car.

Cynicism I can find anywhere. Share your experience with me.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Since "heat and soul" are subjective, I won't debate your definition. Mine is obviously different and would include things like light weight, tossable handling and an over 6,500 rpm redline. Frankly, neither the Corvette or Viper rate very high on my personal scale. I wouldn't debate their classification as sports cars. But thier approach is more brute force and virtually no finesse. Relative to "heart and soul" the 360 Modena would be at the top of my list. The Boxster S and S2000 were tops on my "can afford" portion of the list.

The G35 has impressive performance. But not as impressive as the AMG C32, M3 and (4,000 lb) M5 that I considered buying back in 2001. The sportiest of that bunch, the M3 6-speed, is the ultimate sports "coupe" in my book. But I wouldn't call it a sports car. As for having the heart and soul of one, perhaps.

Fortunately, weight is objective. Acoording to Edmund's, the curb weight of the G35 coupe is a 3,435 lbs. Which in my subjective opinion is much more more acceptable for a versitile sports coupe than the 3,300 +/- pounds the 350Z carries on a 2-seater fixed roof sports car frame. And I even consider the "heart" - namely Nissan's ubiquitous high torque, low rpm 3.5 liter V6 - to be more aptly placed in the G35c than the 350Z. .

So regardless of differences in semantics, I think the G35 "coupe" is probably the best positioned product offering in the entire Nissan / Infiniti line-up right now.
  • mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    I am hearing horror stories regarding the brakes on the G35. Estimated life of only 15-20,000 miles. My Honda Coupe brakes are at 53,000 and going strong. What gives?
    Depends on how you drive. I don't consider myself "easy" on my car in any way, but I don't drive like a bat out of hell all the time either. I had my sedan serviced at 15K (one year)last week. Was told I have 50% remaining on the front and 75% on the rear. Will I be thrilled with getting pads replaced at 30K? No, of course not. BUT, the G consistently stops the shortest (or nearly so) in tests against its competitors. So, there is some benefit.

I would be mad though if I had to buy new brakes last week ;)
  • alman08alman08 Member Posts: 282
    Just read this in last week's Autoweek... owners of G35 coupes were comparing how the interior of their cars are not up to par with the Lexus SC. My take is, the SC does cost a lot more, and it would make sense to see better materials for the interior. I wonder what a $35K brand new SC should look like, if there is one... :)
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    at the interior in the is300 that would give you a hint ;)
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    VW, Acura, Toyota and you see that they coulda done better. The SC has a larger engine and a motorized hard-top to justify it's price. I'm sure Lexus could do a $35,000 sport coupe interior a little better. A la last gen Supra.
  • biglevbiglev Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know when the 2004 G35 COupes are coming out? What are the improvements over '03 and how much will the '04 be?
    No pricing info yet for 2004. From nissannews.com, here is the details on the 2004 coupe:

Infiniti G35 Sport Coupe

Designed from the ground up on the racing-inspired FM (Front Mid-ship) platform, the Infiniti G35 Sport Coupe offers all of the advanced technology, leading-edge design and luxury amenities of the Infiniti G35 Sport Sedan but in a stylish, two-door body. The G35 Sport Coupe features a long list of standard performance features, including a 280 horsepower 3.5-liter DOHC V6 mated to a choice of a 6-speed manual transmission or 5-speed electronically controlled automatic with manual shift mode. The G35 Sport Coupe receives minor enhancements for the 2004 model year.

Enhancements to the 2004 G35 Sport Coupe include:
    ·New front center console for Coupe Leather 6M/T model (adds center armrest and an additional front cupholder)
    ·Twilight Blue exterior color added
    So, basically the changes are much to do about nothing unless you are a big twilight blue fan
  • jackdarjackdar Member Posts: 2
    Just thought I would share a few early impressions.

In June of 2002, I purchased a 2002 WRX, Black with custom black/gray leather interior and OZ Racing Crono Evolution wheels....stunning performance and the leather/wheels really added class to an otherwise "low-rent" package. The all wheel drive and turbo in a car that weighed just over 3,000 lbs creates a driving thrill that is pretty incredible. Yet as much as I enjoyed driving that car, at 52, I felt I needed a little better image (how shallow I know). When the G35 Coupe first appeared in the magazines I knew I had to have that car. I drove from Philly to New York in April of 2002 to see it at the NY Auto Show...what a truly beautiful car. At the time I was driving a '98 Prelude Type SH that was going off-lease in June of 2002, five months before the G was to be available.

About two weeks ago, I placed an add on eBay to sell the WRX. In the one week that the car was for sale, over 5,200 people viewed the add and I sold it for my reserve to a neurologist in Chattanooga.

I picked up my black on black coupe last Friday and have just about 300 miles on it in 3 days. I am impressed with this engine that loves to pull smoothly (although I am still keeping the revs low during break-in). The shifter is precise with short throws. The suspension is firm but not jarring.

I drove the Acura CL Type S with the 6 speed last year. It felt heavy and I didn't like the way the weight shifted going around an on-ramp. The G35 on the other hand holds a corner extremely well. And although it is almost 3,500 lbs., it doesn't feel like it. It doesn't seem as fast as my WRX but it is one solid car that should last me for years.

Good luck!
  • ethan777ethan777 Member Posts: 27
    last week i crushed my G35 coupe badly..how bad ? well image that i was going 120m/h and crushed into divider(it had nothing to do with the car i was doing some damgeruos driving with the other guy) ,the airbag of couse came off if you wonder~~~~ i didnt get hurt at all not even a scratch thanks to no window have borken(i thought they would) ,however it is going to cost about 15,ooo to repair so if you guys dont have extra money or full cover on your G ,drive it like all other cars...haha..

ps: that was fun to crush a car like that but dont plan on doing it anytime soon...lol
  • texanbratttexanbratt Member Posts: 14
    Hello all,
    I was wondering if anyone was able to purchase their coupe under MSRP? I've been looking for a local dealership in Southern Cal. who will deal. They keep telling me that the manufactuer isn't allowing them to deal. Is this true?
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    You buy your car from a dealer.

Why would the manufacturer be involved with telling the dealer how much to charge? Believe that's called Restraint of Trade.

"MSRP" - Manufacturer's SUGGESTED Retail Price."

That's as far as the manufacturer goes in setting your particular price.
    Thanks guys for the information,but which dealers in Southern CA are dealing? They certainly aren't in my area.
  • bocatripbocatrip Member Posts: 194
    This is the first time I have heard about any dealer discounting off the MSRP on Coupes. You are a lucky guy! Was it on a 03? I held off for the 04 because they would not budge on the 03s. Good for you!
    It was inevitable when the dealer has both the '03 and the '04 on his lot. The used prices will also some down when the NADA book comes out.
    ...only because you're a Kimberly, same as my old girl friend, am I going to tell you the "Top Secret Way of Getting a Good Deal in L.A." And you have to promise not to tell anyone else, ok?

1. Go to cars.com and use their dealer locator feature for your zip code. Type in Infiniti dealers, up to 50 miles away from you, your zip, and I bet you get 10-15 dealers with their telephone numbers.

2. Call their receptionist. Find out the name of their Sales Manager and the fax number in the Finance Office.

3. Write this person a letter and put their name in Big, Bold Text at the top - or half the time it gets lost and never delivered.

4. In the letter body, write this:

"Dear Mr./Ms. XXXXXXX,

I wish to purchase a G35 coupe, with the following options a/b/c/d/e/f. I like the red one with the tan interior (whatever).
    I want to take delivery by August 1st (?) and I have no trade-in (if you have a trade, say what it is and that you expect them to evaluate it when you come in. This will complicate matters and I suggest you sell it privately if possible).
    I understand the 2004's are coming in soon but there are lots of 2003s on the lots so I expect an excellent price. I can be contacted at xxx-xxx-xxxx; the best time is xx am/pm. If you can make a written out-the-door offer (with my sales tax rate of 7.75%?, DMV, and all fees) via fax,my fax number is xxx.xxx.xxxx.
    Thanks for your time. Regards, Kimberly xxxxx "

5. You will get quick responses from most of the dealers and eventually you'll get responses from all of them. A couple will have the exact vehicle you want; the rest will tell you that once you settle the deal, they will get the exact vehicle within a day or two via dealer trade.

6. This is the important part - whether they respond via phone or fax, you have a get a offer that includes all charges - that's a OTD or Out-The-Door price including sales tax, DMV fee, and other fees such as doc fee.

Let us know how you do - L.A. is an extremely competitive place to buy a vehicle and the G35 is a great choice.

Jeff
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well you were polite enough but really this forum isn't meant to put posters on trial. I would suggest that if you find a poster's message in-credible then let the message speak for itself.

I would NOT recommend that ethan respond in defense, but let's just move on, okay?

The two of you can work this out on e-mail if you feel it necessary.

thank you

MrShiftright
    Host
    You're the captain, Shiftright, and I abide.

(lowers the flag...).

Carry on!
  • bigrabbitbigrabbit Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone:

I am looking for G35 coupe with leather at a reasonable price. I've heard $1000 off MSRP. Can I do better? please help.
    Thanks Jeff for the information. I have another question though. What is a fair deal as far as how much under MSRP?
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    Generally, a broker is not going to get a better deal than one can get on their own; in fact, it will usually be a little worse because they get their cut. But they may do better if you are a casual buyer and are unwilling or unable to cast a wide shopping net and do the negotiations.

Another point is that the best price you can do changes month-to-month and is tremendously influenced by supply/demand and the competition in any given locale. On the same day, some markets may have to discount near invoice while others can get MSRP or above. So any one individual's experience is anecdotal and may not be able to be duplicated on another day in another market. You do the best you can do.

- Mark
    ...just send the faxes out and you'll find out how much under MSRP you need to spend.

Some or none of the posts on these boards would necessarily relate to your exact situation where you live.

Edmunds TMV and other guides are just that - guides. You could find a dealer that will be $500-1000 under all the other dealers - in writing. When you mention this "best" price to the other Sales Mgrs - and they say, nope, not possible in this market to get one that low - then you have the deal you want.

Assuming, of course, that you're not being low-balled by the best price dealer just to get you physically on their showroom floor and then bump you into a higher range for some reason.

The last three new vehicles I've purchased for my family or friends I received one dealer offer markedly better than the rest - and, each time, just like the sun comes up each day - I was told by the dealers with higher price offers that I would never drive off the lot at that OTD price.

I used to get bumped like everyone else - then I decided that if there's no written confirmation of their OTD offer, I wasn't going to waste my time driving to the dealership - even if it was only 10 miles down the road. Saves a tremendous amount of grief.

Good luck!
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience, ethan, but actually Infiniti just recently beat out Saturn to claim number one in the JD Power Customer Service Index (dealer service satisfaction) study.

If you poke around jdpower.com, you can find the press release.
    The Infiniti service experience has been the best experience in automobile service that I have ever seen. Now, that is compared to Ford and Chevrolet because that was all I owned before this Infinit. It is the reason I will probably buy another Infiniti soon, probably this coupe.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Although I didn't purchase an Infiniti, I came close on an M45 or G35. Ended up with something else, but I spent quite a bit of time with the dealer.

I found mine to be very responsive, honest, as well as cutomer focused over the 3 extended visits I made to them.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    I must echo the comments of gambit293 and bigorange. I decided to lease my coupe about 2-3 months ago and must say that the service from my dealer is top notch. This Infiniti dealer has far better service than Mercedes offered. I would rate them #1 (so far) compared to all the other luxury brands that my wife and I have been through.(Audi,Lexus,Mercedes)
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    If your car was crushed at the speeds you indicate, and you survived, then you may want to reconsider it being a bad car that you'd never buy again. To survive a crash like that, somebody engineered something well. Somebody was watching over you that day.

As for comparing to BMW's, to each his own. I have a 3 series that has had no major problems. One problem was easily fixed by the dealer and they bent over backwards to help me, when they did not have to. If I was to have a crash at that speed in any of my cars, I would want it to be the BMW. Their safety record speaks for itself.

People claim Infiniti's service is top notch. Many surveys confirm this. Perhaps your experience is unique. I have found many people's attitudes (including my own) towards the service departments affect how they treat you. I have gone to service departments with an attitude and gotten pretty much what I deserved. I have more recently, as I've grown up, been more patient and understanding, and they did everything they could to satisfy me.

In the case of my one big problem, I lost my computer controller while driving on I-15 in soCal at night. I got the car home safely. They came and got the car, gave me a loaner (since it was a Sunday), then had it fixed by noon on Monday. They didn't have to respond that way, but they did, and they get referrals from me every time somebody asks about dealers and service. My next car will be a G35 or a new 5 Series. Either way, I hope the dealer can live up to the manufacturer name on their business.

As you get older (and I don't mean that as a slam), you will realize that there is not a lot of patience for people with attitudes. I just wish my 17 year old would figure that out. :)

-Paul
  • ethan777ethan777 Member Posts: 27
    yeah agree with everything you said,by the way i never said the g35 coupe is a bad car..

and if i were you i will buy the g35 instead of the 5 series unless you are a big fan of the bmw or dont care about the extra money you will spend on the 5series.plus japeness car usually have less problem than german cars

http://autos.yahoo.com/consumerreports/vehicle_holds_up.html?refs- rc=autos/eyak
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    The later model 5 series is consisently one of the reliable CR vehicles. CR said it was the best vehicle they've ever tested. My 3 series, I don't know if it's reliable or un-reliable. I've never been to the dealer to find out.