Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• mbakmbak Member Posts: 5
    Yeah, I work with that guy. He's got a 1992 Corvette with about 37,000 miles. He lucked up and bought it from an older couple that had won it in a raffle and rarely drove it. He just bought a 2003 S Blazer - Yellow. So, he rarely drives the Corvette. In fact, he's at a big car show right now. His '92 is one of the 50 in the show. They have one Corvette from each year of production. Anyway, yes, a Corvette is a bit out the price range. I'm 95% on a 2003 Premium Mustang GT. I've gone from True Blue to Sonic Blue with Medium Graphite. I am going to go with the automatic transmission. I know I'm giving up some of the fun, but I think I'll be glad when I'm sitting in traffic. I'm going from a little over 200 hp to 260, so it'll be a nice jump in power regardless of the transmission. I can't believe I'm going to get a Ford...... Too bad Chevrolet has dumped most of their money into trucks.
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    Good exhaust to consider for a GT is the Ford Racing catback...stainless steel, direct fit, nice sound improvement over stock (a lower, classic muscle-car sound) and no drone.

I've got it on mine, and love it. Pleasantly loud w/o being obnoxious or attracting unwanted attention. Most importantly, it sounds great from the cockpit!

_John
  • americanflagamericanflag Member Posts: 400
    Ford Racing Catback? Did you get it from Gefracing? Also, do you still have your air silencer removed? Alot of people are saying it should only be trimmed...
    My 03 GT has never tracked right, it has always pulled to the right. I had had it in twice to have it looked at. The dealer blew it off the first time, then aligned it the second time. It still pulled, so I kinda gave up.

Then the other day I called Ford direct, trying to get more information on the controversial 5W-20 motor oil (to no avail).

Here is where the great service part comes in. While talking to Ford about the oil, I mentioned the car pulled. After our conversation, she asked me about the pulling again. I said it couldn't seem to get fixed. She politely put me on hold, and then had her supervisor call my Ford dealership's service manager directly. They then came back on the phone, told me to take the car in again and ask for him.

I did so, and this time they really looked at it. Turned out the car was aligned, but some kind of camber thing was off. They adjusted it and it tracks perfect now!

I think Ford is a great company. Any problem can slip through the cracks of a busy dealership, even a very good one. But Ford went out of their way to survey me about the car, and then when I mentioned a problem, they really worked to get it fixed.

AmericanFord
  • demonspeeddemonspeed Member Posts: 75
    Remove the silencer, it's not going to hurt anything with it out. Pick up the K&N filter for it too (E-0945 I beleive). It'll sound better and you might notice it a bit. The Ford Racing catback is the perfect match if you're looking for a great sound, but without it getting annoying and deafening people behind you. Although it won't be as performance beneficial as a Bassani or Borla, it'll be a nice compromise if you want the db to not kill you ;)
    removed, I have just been reading a lot of guys on Stangnet saying that it is better to trim it.

I do like the sound with it out.

What do you think of an X-pipe and Flowmasters?
    Isn't the sound level adjustable with Flowmasters?
    I run a BBK offroad x-pipe with Flowmaster 2 chamber catback. I love the sound and so does everyone else. Click on the link below to watch my half assed burnout video so you can hear what it sounds like. The only reason to trim it that i've heard is because of water or the like getting up in there. If you live in a place that that wouldn't be a big deal, then you're fine.

http://www.domesticdisturbance.net/videos/deomonspeedmissed2ndhah- - aha.avi (second gear... blah hehe)

Well, it looks like they don't have that on their server now.... don't know what else to tell you there.
  • mmaximus1mmaximus1 Member Posts: 9
    Flag, what do you know about the 5W-20? I have been thinking about this as I will be changing the oil in my '03 GT for the first time in a month or so. Do some consider this to be to thin? Glad you got the car tracking straight. So far mine runs perfect, except for a misaligned windshield washer nozzle and a bad connection somewhere with the dome/courtesy light.
    OK-Just found the thread on the 5W-20!!!!
    Thanks
    I like the Ford Racing exhaust a lot...it's exactly as Demonspeed describes it. With the stock H-pipe, it lowers the exhaust tone (has 2.5 inch tubing cf. 2.25 stock), giving it more rumble and a more "hollow" sound. But it's not too loud, and will not attract unwanted attention. Plus the price is great. Performance-wise, maybe it helped a little, but nothing I could notice SOTP.

It's a good compromise IMO between being stock and going "racecar" loud. Has that classic muscle car sound (though I hear if you have an X-pipe, you'll get a higher-pitched, NASCAR-like sound). Indeed did get it from GEFracing...had it about 3 days after I ordered!

Still have my silencer out, and actually have my K&N out as well right now...I have been getting some detonation under load, and I'm experimenting to see what's causing it.

BTW, 'Flag good story about Ford...makes me feel better, as there are so many horror stories on Stangnet...
    Most stuff on Stangnet I take with a grain of salt. Anymore, I can't stand Stangnet because of the amount of people on there without experience who for the most part don't know what they are talking about. Now, i'm not saying I DO always know what is going on in all instances, but I do know that I don't try to say things i'm not 100% sure about due to the fact it could seriously ruin someone's car.
  • z28drivinguyz28drivinguy Member Posts: 1
    I've been reading about the new mustang, and I have a couple questions if anyone knows the answers. Will Ford be releasing the new mustang in 2004, or 2005? I've heard it both ways. Also, will there be an SVT Cobra still available?? If anybody knows, I would greatly appreciate it!
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,363
    April 2004, the 40th anniversary of the original Mustang, they will reveal the production version.

On sale date: Fall 2004, as a 2005 model. IIRC there won't be a Cobra until 2006.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

So it IS coming out in 2004 as an '05...cool; I was hoping they'd go for the historical symmetry. : )

I just hope I won't love my 2002 less when the new one hits the street. : (

_John
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    On that GEFracing cat back system? Is it a straight bolt-on or is some welding required?

I assume you got the one they list for $260 plus shipping.

Thanks.
    anything, I am here to answer questions.

Maximus, the 5W-20 thing is controversial, as I am finding is just about everything dealing with engine lubrication and filtration. Apparently, the 5W-20 is showing good results in oil analysis, but I am uncomfortable with it. I am using Mobil 1 5W-30, which is a thin 30 weight anyway, almost a 20. There are warranty concerns though to consider. I just can't do the 20 weight.

On the alignment, Ford did great. How a car tracks is a hot button for me. The dealership really got it right. I love Ford, I actually get misty eyed when I think about Ford!

John, you took out the K&N? I hope you put something else back in! What about gas mileage? I have heard having the air silencer removed can make the air mixture rich and reduce gas mileage? What are your experiences?
    I think you will really love the car!
  • corsicachevycorsicachevy Member Posts: 316
    Has anybody heard what the base engine may be for the new Mustang? An article in the latest Car and Driver mentioned that the base engine would NOT be the 3.8 OHV V6 but that it would be an engine currently used by other Ford vehicles. Is it going to be a 3.0 V6 Duratec? A 4.0V6 SOHC from the Explorer? The revised 4.2 OHV V6 from the new Windstar? Any ideas?
  • jtkz13jtkz13 Member Posts: 51
    I run 5W-30 Mobil in my 94 GT and it doesnt burn a drop of oil. My dad uses the same in his 2000 GT and his has 36,000 100% trouble free miles. I run Mobil-1 synthetic and offset the cost of the more expensive oil by changing it myself. Mobil makes some good oil filters also.
    I do love this car. I was thinking about keeping it completely stock, but wouldn't it be nice if it rumbled a little more at idle? Hmmmm...
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,363
    Same HP rating as my old '86 5 liter convertible.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

I got the FRPP catback installed for $60 at the local Meineke. The dealer quoted me $200 (yeah, right), a local Mustang shop wanted $140 (mostly because they told me they weld, not bolt it on) and the local Midas wouldn't even quote me a price until I brought the catback in and left the car for a day. Meineke did it in 1/2 hour. It bolts right in (a direct fit part).

BTW the Ford Racing catalog (and the Ford Racing guys themselves when I called them) claims it fits only 1998-2001 GTs...this is NOT TRUE. There have been no changes to the exhaust system since 1999, and sure enough it fits my 2002 GT perfectly.

The install is straightforward...had I the space and a way to get the car up, I could have done it myself. The hardest part would have been sawing through the stock catback to remove it...
    They probably haven't updated the cataloge for the 02 or 03's yet, that's why it only says to 01.
    Yeah, that's the conclusion I came to...though I did think it odd that the tech guys manning the Ford Racing hotline didn't know that it would fit my GT. Worried me at first, but a combination of talking to GEFracing, and posting on Stangnet made me feel better.
    Some of the people at Ford Racing might not be all on the up and up and would rather follow what the cataloge says rather than you waste your money and find out it won't work anyway.
    Just checked my gas mileage, I am not pleased. It was 15 mpg. I do mostly city driving, but I did not drive hard. Does this sound low? I think Ford calls for 18 mpg.

I am wondering if the Air Silencer being removed is part of the problem. I have heard it causes the fuel mixture to be too rich.

Also, we know Ford takes gas mileage seriously. Maybe their air silencer (is that really the part's name, or is that just what we call it?) is better designed than we think. I can certainly see where it would draw in colder air in a more organized fashion with it on. Ford has got the car finely tuned, maybe having the part removed is throwing things off. 15 mpg sounds pretty low to me.
    I wouldn't worry about it. I get about 200-230 miles per tank (too lazy to convert to mpg). It's a sports car, not an Echo.
    I will put the silencer back on, let the computer adjust, and then check the gas mileage again. 2 mpg is some serious jack in with today's prices.
  • cuteeric17cuteeric17 Member Posts: 43
    But still, Flag, it's a sports (er, muscle) car. I wouldn't worry much about it.
    amflag... understandable. I am paying almost 1.80/gallon for 92 in central PA. Took 23 bucks to fill it up the other day.
    87 octane has been running around 1.70/gallon here in Central NY. John324, Flag, you guys have late model GTs as I do, what are you fueling with? I have been using 87, per owner's manual.
    I'm using 87 myself...running around $1.75/gallon in the Washington D.C. metro area. I've been experiencing some detonation under load, so I might go up to 89 to see if that solves it. But I don't want to...part of what makes a Mustang cool is that it's a performance car that uses regular (albeit lots of it) fuel.

_John
    runs. All I am saying is 15 seems low when Ford says it should do 18 city. What kinda mileage are you guys getting? Also, I use only Amoco gas, I won't go to the cheap 7-Eleven type places for gas. No watered down gas for American Curt.

I am getting a little concerned about the gas situation. I am starting to feel a little like Mad Max in The Road Warrior. Great car, but fuel is a little scarce and the world is getting crazy. At least I am good looking. I even bought a leather jacket.
    I'll just get depressed. I know it won't be great with this car. Leather jacket. Cool. Maybe I'll grow a mullet.
    But then you'll have to trade your Mustang in for a Camaro... ; )
    Camaro = Mullet... hey now....
    Mustang = spikey hair? ; )

Kidding all around...but reminds me though that there was an interesting (closed now I think) thread on "the Camaro stereotype" awhile back...
    It's a true stereotype, and Chevrolet helped to create it. They offered WAY too many choices in the third gen Camaro which meant extreme affordability to anyone who wanted one. This means that now you can snag one up for a couple hundred bucks and boom, you have a "sports" car... White trash prefer this method because when picking up women at the bar's saying "hey baby, wanna take a ride in my Camaro" is better than saying "I got a Tempo out there with an empty passenger seat."

It's hard to find a real clean 3rd gen, but they are starting to pop up more and more.
    you made the right decision on the Mustang. We only live once! And once this war is over, fuel prices will start to come down.

The leather jacket I have is bad! It is black with a white racing stripe down the side. Since I drive the Stang, I feel totally justified wearing it! I would have felt a bit like a posseur is I had worn the leather racing jacket with my old Honda Civic...
    oil change cycles and see how the gas mileage compares.
    Max, they will never admit it, but the girls dig the Stangs too.
    V6 automatic. Around town is a different story. But we all knew what we were getting into with this car.
    Oh, yeah. Girls like it. This car gets a lot of attention.
    I agree the girls like it, but they often won't admit it.
    problems is the type and quality of the gas you are using. Are you using Mobil or Amoco or one of the big guys? Also, you might switch to the middle grade, I read that the early detonation can damage your engine pretty severely over the long term. You might also have Ford look at it since it is under warranty.
    Already tried the octane upgrade; didn't help that much. So on to the other factors that can cause detonation...

Re the warranty issue, I'd rather exhaust my options in dealing with it myself first, as 1) Ford will quickly say that the K&N could be causing it, so put the stocker back in, 2) they will say "put the airsilencer back on" and 3) at worst case, they will push the timing back to arrest the detonation.

I'd rather see if I can fix it myself first.
  • NSORICNSORIC Member Posts: 33
    anyone opt for the mach 1000 audio option? if so, what are your impressions (versus the mach 460)?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    john, if your car denotes with high octane fuel, you need to correct this. A little pinging under heavy load is okay, a momentary thing, but if you hear pinging regularly and under lighter load this is very very bad. What you are hearing is actually the internal parts of your engine rattling, and in some radical cases, the cylinder walls actually flexing like a tin can.

Prolonged heavy denotation will punch a hole right through a piston as easily as an armor piercing shell.
    Shifty, thanks...so far it's only been very light (barely audible), only occuring occasionally and momentarily when shifting under WOT.

The owner's manual even says that this is "normal" and not to be worried about...but I still don't like it. I know that Ford keeps the timing on new Mustangs really lean, and any change to the airflow can push the engine into detonation...

"Prolonged heavy denotation will punch a hole right through a piston as easily as an armor piercing shell"...that's great imagery! I saw the results of this very thing on a friend's Chevy Corsica years ago. : (
    There does seem to be more noise coming from the engine compartment when I hammer the gas a bit more. Doesn't quite seem like typical engine knock. I assume this is normal. Either way the local Ford Dealer will make their diagnosis when I have it in for regular service, and there is plenty of warranty left.
    Is it more of a ping, knock, or tap? The exhaust manifold gaskets are known to go on the 4.6's, more so with long tubes, but i'm sure none of you are running them. Either way, if it's an exhaust leak, it'll sound like a ping. If it's a tap, it could be your valves as a friend of mine with a 96 had this problem and tore the head apart to find one of the valves had bent. That's just some random stuff. If I heard it, i'd easily identify it with my friends car, and unfortunatly, that wouldn't be good. Another friend had the same problem with his 00. They had to replace the whole head. Get it checked out under warranty before it gets worse.