Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• Americanflag, here's a link to pics of the coupe (click on the pic in the upper right corner of the page). http://autoshow.msn.com/autoshow2003/article.aspx?xml=FordEveningEvent
  • I'm actually beginning to like this car after seeing the coupe.
  • It says that the GT has 400 horses under the hood too...
  • http://www.cardesignnews.com/autoshows/2003/detroit/highlights/h08-ford-mustang.html

I'm liking the coupe design much better than the convertible -- but look at the last line in the article. They claim all of the new 'stangs except the Cobra will be using a live rear axle, despite being based on the LS/S-type platform.
  • judasjudas Posts: 217
    "It says that the GT has 400 horses under the hood too..."

Its a concept, the GT won't have 400 horses (Or anywhere near it, really).
  • john_324john_324 Posts: 974
    Or if it does, it will be ridiculously expensive for a "pony car" and nobody but fanatics will purchase it.

I can't imagine it would be in Ford's interest to bump the horsepower up so dramatically all at one time, not when they can do so piecemeal over the years, each time creating new interest and more sales.

I think output along the lines of 285-300 hp is more realistic.
  • ambullambull Posts: 255
    There's a discussion going on in the Lincoln LS sedan section regarding the Mustang rear suspension being a live axle except for the Cobra, which is IRS (although the concept GT has IRS). I was hoping all Mustangs would get IRS since the all the other vehicles with the DEW platform have IRS.
    What do you people think?
  • Cheating the Mustang GT maybe? Hell, who needs IRS anyway? lol
    I've got mixed feelings about it. It'd be a nice handling upgrade to the base and GT models but at the same time its a hinderance to drag racing, which Mustangs get used quite frequently for.
  • jeffer2jeffer2 Posts: 35
    I like it, especially the coupe. Except I wish it wasn't a two-seater. The Mustang defined "pony cars", but the absence of a back seat changes that definition (in my opinion).
    - Jeffer2
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    I doubt the GT will receive much of a horsepower bump simply because its insurance cost would skyrocket. Remember, one of the things that killed the Camaro/Firebird were the astronomical insurance rates for the V8 models. At the time I was shopping, a WS6 would have cost me twice as much to insure as my S2000, and that didn't have anywhere near 400hp.
    I sincerely doubt the production cars will be 2 seaters, barring special Cobra R type models.
  • Ok look I dont think that the GT will bee 400 hp it will prob be 280 or so. but one thing is that the regular mustang has and will be under 20,000 be cause most people have that v6 stang and thats where ford most of the sales comes from.
  • friends in detroit remember that one of the hall marks of muscle cars was affordability. We don't need the Ford 427 or Mustang to cost as much as an exotic car. Live rear axle or IRS? Just keep the sticker price down so the blue collar guys like me can afford it! I would love a Ford 427 if it ever gets produced and IF it is affordable. John and I are in 100% agreement on this one. Eric, thanks for the link.
  • two seater. Again, two seaters are exotic car stuff, the Mustang should be an everyman vehicle - FORD!!!
  • I can't believe Ford would supercharge the regular GT. Boys and girls, I am still very glad I bought my 03 now. And I'm not running 5W-20 in the car either because if the new Mustangs are two seaters and too $$, I may need to keep my current one for a while!
  • ihsahnihsahn Posts: 1
    I personally do not like the look of the concepts. And a two seater? Give me a break ford... Just by looking at this vehicle I know neither I or any other average person out there are going to be able to afford it. All I can do is cross my fingers that the production model will be much different. I want something different than the current model, but along the same lines as this aggressive look the mustang has right now. oh yeah and 400hp in the gt? dream on...
  • It seems to me that it would make sense for Ford to tweak the engine that's in the new LS and put it in the Mustang. With variable intake cam timing it already makes 280hp and 286lb-ft. That technology should help it get better gas mileage and the engine sharing could help keep costs down...Hey, it works for Nissan!
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,505
    Even better would be the 4.2L version – with (as installed in the Jaguar S-Type) 293 HP and 310 TQ. And then there is the already developed six-speed automatic that will handle this motor. And then there is the S-Type R version of the 4.2L motor, rated at 390 HP and 408 TQ – and also a six-speed automatic that will handle that TQ. (Can you tell I’d prefer an automatic / man-u-matic to a manual? Bursitis.)

But realistically, even though these are already on the Ford corporate parts shelf, the motor, particularly with the VVT is probably a pretty expensive piece to produce. And even more so the supercharged version – and the six speed automatic.

But I am actually much more concerned about the apparent lack of an IRS on any version except the Cobra.

Cheers,
    - Ray
    Who would certainly think a Mustang with either of these motors would be very entertaining to drive – and could envision a “Powered By Jaguar” emblem on the fenders . . .
  • I don't think they know what they're talking about. They say "...in order to liberate sufficient head room for rear seat passengers...", but both concepts are 2 seaters. Moreover, I think the engine IS from the LS. It's pretty hard to fit the modular 4.6 pig into any modern platform. That engine is huge and extremely wide, as a rule of thumb, it will NOT fit any non-ladder frames. AND they have the 5-sp auto mated to it. Trust me, it's a whole lot easier to make 4.2 into 4.6 than putting a different engine in (especially THAT engine).
    Good lord people, its not going to be a 2 seater. That is a CONCEPT car. Not the production car.
  • Judas, you never can tell what Ford will do. Sure, it's a concept, but most cars are concepted with the amount of seats the production car will have. I'm just guessing though.
  • Check this out from motor trend...

"these concepts from the Ford Living Legends studio are 90 percent accurate to the production models"

link

http://motortrend.com/autoshows/coverage/112_det03/index6.html

I don't know how accurate their data is, but it looks to me like it will be at least a supercharged two seater. Sorry family guys, looks like you need to get a minivan to put your baby seat in. I definitely like the change to the vette-type sports car from Ford.

I give up.
    "I definitely like the change to the vette-type sports car from Ford."

You shouldn't, because it'd mean the death of the Mustang. The Mustang has never been a sports car. It has never been a 2 seater (Again, barring special low production models). It has always been about affordable performance.

A 2 seater supercharged GT just kisses all that goodbye. I find it *extremely* difficult to believe that Ford would be stupid enough to change the Mustangs focus so drastically after it has been so successful. Last numbers I saw put Mustang sales at 3 to 1 vs both F-Bodies put together. Making the GT in a SC'd 2 seater means they're pulling out of that market after dominating it for years. After being so successful that it forced the F-Body into extinction and GM to completely go back to the drawing board.

Will they make a 2 seater? Wouldn't surprise me, after all, they made one 3 years ago. But they wont make the GT or the V6 or even the regular Cobra a 2 seater.

Will they make a SC'd version? Almost certainly, after all, they're making one right now. But I *sincerely* doubt they'd be stupid enough to make the GT SC'd, as it's going to bump it's price into the 30K range, pricing itself right out of its market.
    It won't be a two-seater...just like it won't have 400 hp.

The whole point of a "pony car" is that it has (at least in theory) more utility than a pure sportscar (if at the expense of performance); this utility draws in a wider customer base.

Take away the rear seats, and you lose potential customers - if only through a substitution effect: all other sportcoupes have rear seats. Remember, most Mustang buyers do not buy the GTs, but rather the base model, which is more likely to be cross-shopped with other available coupes.

Besides, not having rear seats will boost insurance premiums that are already high, into the stratosphere. This will also hurt sales.

Finally recall the original early 1960s Mustang concept car (called the "Mustang II" interestingly): it was a two-seater. This configuration however was scrapped by production time. Same will likely happen now.
  • ambullambull Posts: 255
    I think what they were trying to do with the concept cars was make modern versions of the Shelby Mustang, which had only two seats. One article I read even said the spare tire in the back was done Shelby-style. So, yes, they may make special versions something like the concept cars, but not the base models or regular GTs.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,595
    that they might make a two-seater SVT Cobra and a four seat Mustang in GT and base form? I'm convinced this is what they'll do. The concept cars, though labeled "GT" are really preview of the next Cobra. I don't have inside info on this but if you think about it it makes sense.
    The roll hoop shown on the convertible was a feature of '67-'68 Shelby GT350/500s these cars were patterned on (as are the tailights). Isn't the Cobra, with it's Shelbyesque name the modern day equivalent of the Shelby Mustangs?

Look for base Mustangs and GTs to have no roll hoop, smaller tailights (lll?) and smaller wheels. And of course a back seat.

Ford went thru the two-seat/four-seat thing in the 60s and disappointed a lot of sports car freaks when they followed the original two-seat mid-engine concept with the Falcon-based four-seat production car. The groans could be heard from the driver's seat of every Austin-Healey and Triumph in the land.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

I doubt they'd make even the Cobra a 2 seater, although it's certainly more likely than the GT/V6.

All Mustangs are going to have different taillights and smaller wheels. It's already been said by Ford that the taillights aren't production and I don't think ANY Mustang is coming out in the near future with 20 inch wheels.
    "Ford went thru the two-seat/four-seat thing in the 60s and disappointed a lot of sports car freaks when they followed the original two-seat mid-engine concept with the Falcon-based four-seat production car. The groans could be heard from the driver's seat of every Austin-Healey and Triumph in the land."

But those groans were more than drowned out by the roar of praise from the huge numbers who bought the Mustang when it appeared (something like 400,000+ units sold first year). True, the Mustang was not a car that sports car fans would appreciate, but then again it was never meant to be that kind of car. Lee Iacocca took the sportscar concept and turned it into something that the burgeoning American middle class would want to buy. It really was a stroke of genius when you think about it.

I just wish Triumph had the Mustang's longevity...sigh...I love the Spitfires and TR-6s. Were a descendant still available (with non-Lucas electrics of course), I'd have reconsidered deciding on a Mustang.