Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• fdthirdfdthird Posts: 352
    What's the groups opinions about how many winter tires to mount? In the olden days (you know...back when we didn't know that a rear wheel drive car was death in the snow), we would just put a pair of snows on the back of the car and be done with it. Now, everyone seems to want you to put 4 tires on the car when you change over to winter driving.
  • It's best to do all 4 for maximum control. I mean, it doesn't do much when you are getting some traction in the rear when the front can displace the snow at the rate needed.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,013
    post #222 is user error (blank)

post #223 deleted

Host

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• about the new Mustang being great.
  • Well from what I can tell when it comes to the look of the new stang people seem to either love it or hate it. For the new people that just aren't getting why Ford chose to make the mustang look the way it does in the 04 needs to watch "Gone in 60 seconds" and tell me that Elenore is not the most beautiful car that they have ever seen. However I will go so far as to say that they fell a little short of capturing that Classing Muscle car Mustang in the new concept. For me the car looks great until it hits the front end. They tried to bring back the aggressive front end of the 67-69 stangs, but then they had to go and bastardize it by putting a big fat bumper on it and then angling the hood down to the point where it looks like a low rider. Part of what makes the mustang look great is that high front hood with the grill and the headlights jutting out. Also the front end should be longer in general and slightly raised in the front so you HAVE the room to put a big ol blower on the front and have it still look cool. I mean if Ford is going with the retro look they shouldn't half-a*$ it, they should go all out and make it look like the aggressive classic muscle car that we all know and love.
  • It is all a matter of what you get used to. My first car was a VW Rabbit, diesel no less.

I have never been able to associate myself to the American-Muscle-Car attitude. Nor have I been able to understand the Japanese-Lo-Rider-High-Tail-Coffee-Can-Exhaust attitude.

For me, 0-60 isn't nearly as important as a car that holds together and feels taught in a curve. I like brisk acceleration, but I don't plan to race people, unless it is that guy trying to cut me off in heavy traffic...I gotta get ahead of him!

That is the surprise. Given my tastes and requirements, I look at the new Mustang and see a beautiful car. I may not own one, but I may have Mustang-envy for those who get one.

Here's a cross-shop for you, I have been interested in the Mini Cooper, the Mazda 6, the BMW 1-series (if they would ever give out some info) and now might have to add a Ford to the list.

I am a style/design guy...so a ripping engine means less than a good looking car. And looks are subjective.
  • "Here's a cross-shop for you, I have been interested in the Mini Cooper, the Mazda 6, the BMW 1-series (if they would ever give out some info) and now might have to add a Ford to the list."

I think Ford may win a lot of non-Ford buyers over with this car. I've been looking into both the Mini and the VW GTI (20th Anniversary Edition should be nice), with the Focus SVT and Honda Civic Si thrown into the mix as well. I've decided to put off any car purchases until the new Mustang comes out, however. My family hasn't owned an American badged car since before I was born (despite owning several American-made cars), so if I do end up buying an '05 Mustang, it's a big win for Ford. I get the hunch that there are plenty more people who would otherwise buy a non-American car that are interested in the new Mustang.

The front end of the new Mustang is incredibly aggressive and powerful in person, though I could understand some negative thoughts on it based on pictures. Heritage or no heritage, the car is just a well-done, eye-catching design.

Mike
  • john_324john_324 Posts: 974
    Don't mind AmericanFlag...he's a born-again Mustang fundamentalist! I'm just kidding of course 'Flag... ; )

I'm very much like you Harlequin1971...I appreciate a wide variety of automobiles. What I really like are cars that strive to approach as closely as possible their conceptual ethos.

I love my Mustang because of that (a modern interpretation of a classic musclecar), but I also would love to have a new Mini (a new version of the oringinal econo-performer)or an S2000 (a great purist sportscar) for the same reason.

I've always thought to get caught up in one type of performance car or another is to unnecessarily deprive oneself of a lot of automotive pleasure, if only in appreciation. Life's just too short!
    I like the current Mustang styling if for no other reason that it doesn't look like all the other cars on the road.

The problem is that on your car you have the traction in the back but the weight on the front...so the front tires are snow shovels basically. Anything you can do to give them some help is a good idea.

• looks like a Mercedes, specifically the 500 SL convertible.

Remember, Ford has plenty of time to finesse the cars sheetmetal. It ain't over after the first ones hit the streets. Look at the current generation of Mustangs, it is only in the last three years that they really became good looking. Remember originally they had those lame horizontal tailights?

I think the biggest threat to the new Mustang may be something we are not really thinking about: gas prices. Let's hope they stay under control or we'll be talking about hybrids in this forum in a few years.

Finally, sorry about my newfound prejudice in favor of American cars. I know that is another thread. But now there is this stuff about how driving a low gas mileage car supports terrorism. It is a bit ridiculous but maybe the guy driving the Civic is actually doing the country more good than us Mustang folks. Of course, I guess we could drive Foci (plural for the Ford Focus).
    Ah, I don't think anyone will mistake it for a SL500. It has a very domestic-styled look about it.

Speaking of threats to the new Mustang's success, I am amazed that sources and articles still claim that the GT will have around 400 hp when it debuts.

If it really turns out to be true, the insurance premimums will be astromonical...and won't sales suffer ala the Camaro and Firebird?
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,631
    in the major publications state that the production '05 Stangs will not have 400hp except possibly in Cobra versions. This makes sense when you consider they're trying to keep the price @ current levels (loaded GT 'vert just below $30k).

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

That would certainly seem more reasonable. Maybe I've just been looking at bad sample of publications...some actually do seem to be sticking with the 400 hp figure.

I'd imagine somewhere in the 285-300 hp range for the GT, right?
    my guess is around 260-270 for the GT perhaps a bit more for special editions. Bullitt and Mach versions might hit the figures you suggest John.

MY '86 GT 'vert had only 200hp, it was fast enough to get you into big trouble in a big hurry.

My '02 has 260 hp, and that's more than enough for big trouble; the usual insurance rates for these cars attest to that.

I'm always amused by the people who get honestly upset that Mustangs don't come from the factory with *at least* 400 hp. I mean they can't all be John Force...so what do the rest of them plan on doing with these cars?

And where do they live that they obviously have plenty of uncongested highways in which to use them?
  • My guess is that they'll want the GT to be competitive with the 350Z in straight-line acceleration. Depending on how much the new 'stang weighs, that would probably mean at least 290-300 HP.
    Mustang GTs would likely undersell the equivalent Z by around $5k so they need not be as fast. The gap would be even wider for convertibles.

If you want to spend the money Ford will make it possible to blow off a Z but likely you'll need a special edition or Cobra to do it.

I can't even imagine what the insurance on a 300hp+ Mustang will be, especially for young guys.

• argentargent Posts: 176
    I'd expect the next GT to be a bit higher than the current models, if only by a token amount. I'm figuring 275 hp for the GT with a variety of higher-performance editions.
    worried about those pesky Camaros, Barracudas or Javelins. Copmpetition does improve the breed but lack of competition.....

• i'm planning on buying the new model the year after it's initially introduced. one reason being i think a few kinks will need to be worked out. secondly, the price. i think i'll need to save as much as possible from the look. do you guys think a car that pretty will have the ferocious growl we all know and love?
  • but have you all heard about the estimate that gas will hit $2.00 a gallon soon?

What do you think, are 4 cylinders looking better?
    A 4 cylinder Mustang? Could the party be over?
    as long as they're hooked up to a turbocharger<;^)

• Is when me and the Dodge will have a parting of the ways and I'm gonna purchase a V6 'Stang!
    Hey, gas is already $2 a gallon in parts of America and has been for a year or more.

With gasoline prices, the important thing to remember is the "relativity" of the price compared to income and inflation, not simply the nominal price.

The average price for a gallon of gas right now across the U.S. is somewhere around $1.50. However consider the average price for a gallon of gas in 1953 -- 65 cents. Seems cheap, right? But take this price, adjust it for inflation and you get a price for a gallon of gas of $1.95 (in today's dollars). So gas is actually cheaper now than it was in 1953.

In economics, as in physics, everything is relative... : )
    Gas was around $.30/gal or less in '53, was that a typo? I think your point is valid tho.

I remember buying gas for less than 30 cents/gal in the mid 60s and that's in NYC which had some of the most expensive gas in the US..

Oops...Indeed my mistake! I was writing one thing while thinking something else. Also, I wasn't even alive in the 60s myself, so it's all anecdotal to me anyway... : )

Though I can still remember when most gas stations had "full service" pumps! (though I hear some parts of the country still have them, but due to more state job creation laws than an actual market for them)
  • inflation, but still, as gas prices rise to $2.00 a gallon and higher, do you think we will see cars like the V-8 Mustang decline in popularity?

I went from the Civic HX (one of the most fuel efficient cars on the road) to the Mustang GT, so obviously I am experiencing a big change. But still, Police departments are now even starting to switch to hybids. Is the day of the Mustang V-8's nearing an end, and thus our (my?) nostalgia or is this gas issue no big deal?