Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• judasjudas Posts: 217
    Good lord people, its not going to be a 2 seater. That is a CONCEPT car. Not the production car.
  • Judas, you never can tell what Ford will do. Sure, it's a concept, but most cars are concepted with the amount of seats the production car will have. I'm just guessing though.
  • Check this out from motor trend...

"these concepts from the Ford Living Legends studio are 90 percent accurate to the production models"

link

http://motortrend.com/autoshows/coverage/112_det03/index6.html

I don't know how accurate their data is, but it looks to me like it will be at least a supercharged two seater. Sorry family guys, looks like you need to get a minivan to put your baby seat in. I definitely like the change to the vette-type sports car from Ford.

I give up.
    "I definitely like the change to the vette-type sports car from Ford."

You shouldn't, because it'd mean the death of the Mustang. The Mustang has never been a sports car. It has never been a 2 seater (Again, barring special low production models). It has always been about affordable performance.

A 2 seater supercharged GT just kisses all that goodbye. I find it *extremely* difficult to believe that Ford would be stupid enough to change the Mustangs focus so drastically after it has been so successful. Last numbers I saw put Mustang sales at 3 to 1 vs both F-Bodies put together. Making the GT in a SC'd 2 seater means they're pulling out of that market after dominating it for years. After being so successful that it forced the F-Body into extinction and GM to completely go back to the drawing board.

Will they make a 2 seater? Wouldn't surprise me, after all, they made one 3 years ago. But they wont make the GT or the V6 or even the regular Cobra a 2 seater.

Will they make a SC'd version? Almost certainly, after all, they're making one right now. But I *sincerely* doubt they'd be stupid enough to make the GT SC'd, as it's going to bump it's price into the 30K range, pricing itself right out of its market.
  • john_324john_324 Posts: 974
    It won't be a two-seater...just like it won't have 400 hp.

The whole point of a "pony car" is that it has (at least in theory) more utility than a pure sportscar (if at the expense of performance); this utility draws in a wider customer base.

Take away the rear seats, and you lose potential customers - if only through a substitution effect: all other sportcoupes have rear seats. Remember, most Mustang buyers do not buy the GTs, but rather the base model, which is more likely to be cross-shopped with other available coupes.

Besides, not having rear seats will boost insurance premiums that are already high, into the stratosphere. This will also hurt sales.

Finally recall the original early 1960s Mustang concept car (called the "Mustang II" interestingly): it was a two-seater. This configuration however was scrapped by production time. Same will likely happen now.
  • ambullambull Posts: 255
    I think what they were trying to do with the concept cars was make modern versions of the Shelby Mustang, which had only two seats. One article I read even said the spare tire in the back was done Shelby-style. So, yes, they may make special versions something like the concept cars, but not the base models or regular GTs.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,403
    that they might make a two-seater SVT Cobra and a four seat Mustang in GT and base form? I'm convinced this is what they'll do. The concept cars, though labeled "GT" are really preview of the next Cobra. I don't have inside info on this but if you think about it it makes sense.
    The roll hoop shown on the convertible was a feature of '67-'68 Shelby GT350/500s these cars were patterned on (as are the tailights). Isn't the Cobra, with it's Shelbyesque name the modern day equivalent of the Shelby Mustangs?

Look for base Mustangs and GTs to have no roll hoop, smaller tailights (lll?) and smaller wheels. And of course a back seat.

Ford went thru the two-seat/four-seat thing in the 60s and disappointed a lot of sports car freaks when they followed the original two-seat mid-engine concept with the Falcon-based four-seat production car. The groans could be heard from the driver's seat of every Austin-Healey and Triumph in the land.
    I doubt they'd make even the Cobra a 2 seater, although it's certainly more likely than the GT/V6.

All Mustangs are going to have different taillights and smaller wheels. It's already been said by Ford that the taillights aren't production and I don't think ANY Mustang is coming out in the near future with 20 inch wheels.
    "Ford went thru the two-seat/four-seat thing in the 60s and disappointed a lot of sports car freaks when they followed the original two-seat mid-engine concept with the Falcon-based four-seat production car. The groans could be heard from the driver's seat of every Austin-Healey and Triumph in the land."

But those groans were more than drowned out by the roar of praise from the huge numbers who bought the Mustang when it appeared (something like 400,000+ units sold first year). True, the Mustang was not a car that sports car fans would appreciate, but then again it was never meant to be that kind of car. Lee Iacocca took the sportscar concept and turned it into something that the burgeoning American middle class would want to buy. It really was a stroke of genius when you think about it.

I just wish Triumph had the Mustang's longevity...sigh...I love the Spitfires and TR-6s. Were a descendant still available (with non-Lucas electrics of course), I'd have reconsidered deciding on a Mustang.
    So, John, you thinking about a trade in when 2004 rolls around? I'd love to get one of the new ones when they come out but I think it'll have to wait until I finish college. Until then I'm pretty happy with my 88 Coupe:

http://home.mchsi.com/~nkloper/P0003369.JPG
    I'll keep my '02 for awhile I think; I'm really happy with it.

I've loved Mustangs since growing up with the Fox bodies, and to finally be able to have one of my own really makes me happy...besides, I figure give Ford a few years on the new design to work out the major glitches before buying. Of course, maybe I shouldn't wait too long...if the geopolitical situation in the Middle East deteriorates further, before long we could be seeing a new "Mustang II" created to weather the new energy crisis. : (

Yours is a fine-looking machine. It always makes me happy to see Foxes that are really taken care of...there's too many running around that have been abused and driven into the ground by thoughtless owners....I hate that. Yours a 302 or a 6?
    302. 5 Speed, no power windows or locks or mirrors, no AC, radio delete. Barring the Cobra models I think this (And those like it) are probably the quickest fox bodies ever made. It's got a moderate list of bolt ons that were added before I bought it, March Ram Air and underdrive pulleys, B303 cam, MAC headers, X-pipe and Flow path mufflers. Plus 4.10 gears. I'd guess it's got somewhere in the neighborhood of 275 horsepower, which seems just about right. I too grew up loving the Fox Bodies, and finally said the hell with it and got the nicest one I could afford. I think it'll have a place in my garage for a long time to come.
    Nice, you've got one of the rare "stripper V8s"...all the better. If that style were still made, I've had gotten one in a hearbeat. Not that I'm a total performance guy, but rather I'm attracted to the purity of the driving experience that it offers.

If I had one of those, I'd too hold on to it for a long while.

And while the 4.6 is a great engine, I must confess to "engine envy": the sound of the 5.0, both at idle and WOT is superior (at least to my ears) to the 4.6's. I esp. like how the 5.0 sounds when cruising slowly, say through a parking lot. Menacing, but in a controled way.
    In case you've forgotten, the original snake was a two-seater. Isn't the SVT Cobra supposed to take on the Corvette? Isn't Ford sick of all those sales going to GM?

I say it'll happen. The next Cobra, though based on the Mustang won't have a back seat.

The FordGT will be too expensive to counter the Corvette.
  • John, that was a very interesting point about the original Mustang concept in the 60's being a two seater, I sighed a breath of relief when I read that, I could see Ford trying to redo the original launch, they are definitely into the retro thing after seeing that interior.

But it seems to me the biggest argument against the two seater is the Ford Thunderbird. They alreadly have a two seat high priced V-8 built on the LS platform, why would Ford need another?
    Even the original two-seater Bird was never thought of as a sports car. If Ford wants a piece of the Corvette action they need a high performance (2-seat) sportscar at an attractive price.
    "Isn't the SVT Cobra supposed to take on the Corvette?"

Not really. I'm sure some people cross shop them but they still have totally different purposes. Someone that wants a Vette or a car like the Vette isn't really going to be swayed by the Cobra, and vice versa.

"Isn't Ford sick of all those sales going to GM?"

I'd imagine they're fairly happy with all the pony car sales that they're getting that GM isn't.

Sure, it'd be nice to have a Ford Vette fighter, but the Mustang isn't it, and removing the rear seat doesn't make it one. The only reason to make a Mustang without a rear seat is if you're going for an all out bare bones production race car, as in a Cobra R, and the Cobra R isn't a Vette fighter either. Otherwise it doesn't make any sense to remove the rear seat, it doesn't weigh that much, and it adds a LOT of utility, plus keeps insurance costs down.
  • It's funny how insurance companies lower the insurance rate when you have a car with 4/5 seats in it (more people to kill in the car IF an accident were to occur).
  • bmetzbmetz Posts: 1
    I love the new look. Maybe this is because my first Mustang was a '68. Usually, it takes me a while to get used to major changes with the Mustang, but not this time. I only hope this car stays in the same market segment it is in now and has been in since it's birth: Sporty, practical, affordable, and insurable. A little weight loss wouldn't hurt either. I'd like to see manual windows and door locks available again also.

I am also glad they brought the Mach 1 back, although I am not happy with the look of it just yet. The Magnums don't have enough backspacing and the car looks tall from the front. Mechanically, I'm very happy with it. This is the performance level I will be purchasing for my next Mustang, should it still be available.

I would also consider a Boss 302 version with a DOHC 5.0 liter motor and a similar visual treatment as the Mach 1. Mine will be a manual. I can hardly wait to see the 04 Mach 1 since my favorite Mustang of all time is the '70 Mach 1.

As far as a vette fighter goes, I must agree that the Mustang should not be it. The Mustang is now in a segment by it's self and judging by the number I see around so cal, it's selling very well. Updates are great and very necessary, but don't change the market segment.