Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• tomcat630tomcat630 Posts: 854
    The 6 cylinder Mustang stays for 2005. No matter what, there will be those that hate it at first, then like it after they "get used to it". Happens with every new Stang.
  • machiavellimachiavelli Posts: 260
    Yep, that's very true tomcat. The owners of the current gen will probably hate it when it first comes out, then end up buying one 2 or 3 years later.
  • verozahlverozahl Posts: 574
    I'd like to see the Mustang fastbacks return.
  • judasjudas Posts: 217
    The platform is basically the same but they're using a lot of steel in place of aluminum which will keep the price down.

One of the big things is the GT getting a 6 speed.

Another is that all Mustangs will have IRS, even the V6's.

280 HP is the rumored amount for the regular GT.

200-215 is the rumored amount for the 6, coming from either a SOHC 4.0 or a DOHC 3.0, I believe. They may even offer both, one as an option.
  • gt4megt4me Posts: 58
    Wanted to keep this thread going if possible. My '02 GT now has over 12k miles on it. Let me say it rides better everyday I get to drive it, which isn't that often as I travel for work 3of4 weeks a month :-/ Anywho, very happy with cars handling in heavy rain (I live in Orlando, rains a lot!) which was one of my main concerns. I can't say if or when the traction control has kicked in but I've only slid once or twice while accelerating from a red light. Nothing scarey, just the wheels letting go a bit.

With the latest hype of the new Cobra and upcoming GT models coming standard with 6-speeds and even Superchargers in '05 (read that in Popular Mechanics Detroit Spy Page) it has been somewhat difficult wondering if I jumped the gun on my purchase. I guess I'd have to say I'm happy with the GT for now being as it was my first new car and first 8 cylinder Coupe. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes from the Oval in upcoming years with the mustang. I've even considered moding this car as a weekend racer and getting into a Jaguar (Shaguar Baby!) or BMW somewhere down the road. Jags are Ford so it wouldn't be that bad of a purchase...right?

Anywho, I'm just wasting a bit of time on my laptop in a lonely hotel room. Hope you are all enjoying your Mustangs and will keep updating this chat with any new or cool findings you come across in your everyday Mustang travels. Till next time!

Craig
  • I own a 2000 Mustang. I've noticed that the plastic chrome area where the pony on the front grill is has some water spots and maybe a little fading. I do clean it with automotive soap when I wash the car, but I was wondering if anyone knows of a safe cleaner/polisher that I can put on it to polish it up a little bit. Thanks for any help.
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Posts: 155
    I had a '00 GT for 8 months, traded it for a '01 GT. Had it for 16 months till Ford bought it back. Now I have a '02 GT. (all convertibles) By far the '02 is the best. Tighter ride, best overall quality. Ford finally got it right in'02.
  • rea98drea98d Posts: 982
    IRS is nice. I didn't realize how much I appreciated my T-Bird's IRS suspension until I went back to driving a car with a live axel. It's one of those things you don't notice until it ain't there.
  • Hi everyone! I'm new to the board as well. I test-drove an '02 GT Premium a few nights back. I loved the car and was considering purchasing it. The dealer wanted to install a few "after market" parts for me. They suggested the chrome wheels and the MagnaFlow exhaust system (anyone know about those???). Anyway, my sales guy called today saying that they have a 2001 GT Rousch Stage II that they "just put on sale". He said they're trying to sell the brand new 2001 Rousch for the price of the 2002 GT (approx. $23K). What should I do? Stick with the 2002 GT Premium (black) or opt for the 2001 Rousch (Mineral Grey)?

I assume that there's a reason the dealer hasn't been able to unload the Rousch Mustang yet. This would be my first Mustang purchase although I've been an enthusiast all my life (of 27 years). Any input, suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • http://www.roushperf.com will give you the info on the roush products. Http://www.stangnet.com and http://www.corral.net will also a lot more info for you. Good luck with your purchase, but make sure if you're going to begin modding the car you choose the right combination, not just some stuff that a dealer wants to put on.
  • cobra98cobra98 Posts: 75
    I'd have to say it's more of a personal preference. The Stage IIs are more appearance than performance. They do have subframe connectors and a better exhaust, but they are mostly looks. Here's a link to the core package for the Stage II. To determine if it's worth it to you, I'd check out the list of Stage II options (beyond the core). That might help you. Generally speaking, you are not going to get your money back on resale with aftermarket parts but I don't know if the Roush's will hold their value. I would assume they would hold it more so than doing the aftermarket yourself, but they haven't been around long enough to be sure. Sorry I couldn't really help. Bottom line is "if you're happy with your decision..."

Core StageII: http://www.roushperf.com/mustcore2.htm

Stage II Options:

http://www.roushperf.com/mustopt2.htm

• I would lean towards the Roush, I believe the stage II also has better springs, (lowered) not positive though. As long as the dealer didn't put many miles on the Roush, a 2001 is not going to be different from a 2002, as far as features are concerned, and the additions on a Roush would make it the better choich in IMO.

To the person who replied about driving a Mustang in the winter, A v6 has different all season tires than a GT wich has unidirectional v rated "summer tires". comparing the two is like apples and oranges.
    I personally don't take my Cobra out in inclement weather.
    I'm on my 3rd Stang. My first was a 1987 5.0 LX sedan w/trunk, my second was a 1999 silver GT coupe, now I have a 2001 Cobra convertible. The Cobra is a whole different world from the previous. Screaming Wailing engine above 3000RPM, rear independent suspention makes car ride softer, but handle better. Front 13" Brembo rotors and twin piston PBR calibers up front, make this car stop quite good.
  • cobra98cobra98 Posts: 75
    >, I believe the stage II also has better
    > springs,
    yep

>(lowered) not positive though.
    yep

>As long as the dealer didn't put many miles on >the Roush
    That's what I liked about where I bought my Cobra. They wouldn't let anyone test drive (including themselves). It had just a few tenths on it when I took delivery.

Never drove a 6 cylinder Mustang but as was just posted the hp of the newer GTs will require you to drive cautiously in inclement weather. My Cobra likes to get sideways REAL fast in the few times I've been caught in the rain.
  • I have one suggestion for the inclement weather... Bridgestone Blizzacks... definetly check those out for winter driving.
  • john_324john_324 Posts: 974
    Yes, I am aware of the tire differences between the v6 and the GT; I was merely offering my experience for whatever it might be worth. Note that the person posing the question did not specify GT or v6, merely "'02 coupe". Just trying to help!
  • Question Quote
    "I own a 2000 Mustang. I've noticed that the plastic chrome area where the pony on the front grill is has some water spots and maybe a little fading. I do clean it with automotive soap when I wash the car, but I was wondering if anyone knows of a safe cleaner/polisher that I can put on it to polish it up a little bit. Thanks for any help."

I believe if you normally wax the car or use polish, such as Zaino, this would be sufficient to clean/polish that plastic piece.

By the way, Zaino makes a very good product.
  • john_324john_324 Posts: 974
    Has anyone out there actually seen/own a 2002 v6 with the "fake-scoop-less" hood? I've yet to see one out there, but my 2002 Ford brochure clearly shows pictures of it as such. Just curious...while I've grown to love my GT's hood scoop, I still think the clean lines of the v6 look smart in their own right.
  • Hello,
    In asking your question about adding options to
    your car. You have to ask yourself this question?
    Will it make the car preform better? Will it help
  • hood54hood54 Posts: 12
    Have any of you installed Dynamat in your cars? I was looking at a display recently, and they make some interesting claims about road noise reduction. I've been thinking about doing the floor and the trunk (the doors seem pretty solid to me).

Just wondering if anyone here has used it and whether they were satisfied with the results.
  • I have recently purchased a 2002 mustang GT.I am already thinking about winter driving. I have given conflicting opinions about what tires to use like whether to use snows all around,or use them only in back. Whether to use all season radials. I am searching for some common wisdom from an experienced Mustang owner.