Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• john_324john_324 Posts: 974
    Redrluv, re rawness, you're right about the 5.0s...but it's getting very tough to find an unmolested 5.0 at this point. Most of them have either been modded to death, or driven into the ground. Plus the 4.6 aftermarket has taken off, and the Fox platform is pretty much a known quantity at this point.

So perhaps you're right, and I misspoke...it's not perceived poshness so much as the known vs. the unknown. Add to that quality-control concerns surrounding the roll-out of a completely new car with a largely new engine, plus the performance parts situation, and maybe that adds up to some enthusiast sales of the current gen.

And I like the current style! Sure the new one's hot, but I like the current one just as much... : )
  • It's got a "live axel" because Ford listens to the people who actualy buy these cars. 'nuff said.
  • and 300 HP. Talk about having your cake and eating it too. I didn't believe it whan another poster wrote about it, but I just read it with my own eyes in both Motor Trend and Hot Rod Magazine. That's gonna sting for a while at GM and Chrysler. Heck, that's gonna sting at Honda and Nissan too. No one has a product putting out over (I said "over") 260 HP that doesn't also require "premium" gas. Ford needs to slap these new 3 Valve engines in everything they've got.
  • just wondering if anyone here could direct me to a website with fords official 1/4 mile time for a 99-04 mustang gt. thanks in advance for any help.
  • I will turn a 16 in march and i want get 99 or a 98 ford mustang coupe but i want to know idf my insurance money cost a lot since mustang is a sport car, and i'm a teen driver.
  • does anybody know how much will my insurance cost if i drive a 99 mustang coupe and i'm a teen driver.
  • Thanks Jeff for your input. it was a bad hose, it is back in action now. Dealer said it is in good shape no other problems caused, so that's good. I hope it's true.
  • Agree with rev, scroll to the other board, you will get more responses to your questions. Also, just for an idea, get a quote from an insurance company (if you will be on your parents policy) ask them to get you a general estimate. That's all you can really do for now until you see the actual car you want to buy, then get the vin# run it and you will know for sure. You will have a very high bill at first though, no matter what.
  • Expect for you at the very least being generous about $1,000 dollars a year. Probably more like $2,000 for you or more even if you have the safety ed driver's course in school. Cheaper of course if you are looking at liability only but don't think so.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,932
    Please be careful not to post any Mustang website that features automotive forums. Thank you.

Shifty the Host

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• Hi
    Just letting you all know that my car was delivered safely under enclosed transport. CA to WI took 6 days. Transport Co was great, no problems to car, drivers were very professional.
    And I'm happy to report I LOVE the car. In the whole 10 minute drive to storage I found out how really nice this car is, it drives like a dream, shifts like butter, and looks new!
    Now the hard part..waiting for summer to drive it.
    All for now. Ponyrider2
  • on Town Hall?
    Thanks, Ponyrider2
  • I have a 2002 Mustang GT, 5 speed manual, convertible, 17,500 miles.

I took it in for an oil change at one of the 20 minutes places on Saturday. I was told to have my dealer look at the "transmission speedo cable". What is this? Around Tuesday/Wednesday of last week, I did start smelling something "burning" whenever I got out of the car.

I have an appointment for Wednesday at the dealer. I bought this car in September at a CarMax dealership and my 3 month/3,000 warranty is up, but I'm hoping this is covered under the Ford 36,000 miles warranty coverage.

Anyone's input would be greatly appreciate.

Regards,

Joy
  • pinettedpinetted Posts: 104
    3point1v6 just do a search on Google using the above title and you will find many sites. I know there is at least one, I cannot rememer the exact address, but it posts times for just about every car.
    Newbuyer, glad your Mustang is back in operation with no further ill effects; what exactly was the problem/which hose? (So if it happens to one of the rest of us, we'll know...)

3.1, try this one: http://www.angelfire.com/pa3/ford/performance1.htm

Lotsa other cars too!
  • I bought a 2002 V6 premium convertible. Although I dearly love the car and it gets mega-looks, it probably was back to the dealer 3 times within the first year for problems. It is babied and has less than 9k miles. I love the nostalgic new design (2005) and would purchase one, but not in the first year production since it is totally new all the way around. I hope the new Mustang can earn a new reputation for holding up.
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Posts: 417
    If you can log onto edmunds, you can go log into Geico. Seriously, they will give you a FREE quote that is going to be a much more accurate portrayal of your insurance costs than any of us can project here. Don't stop there either, there are many insurance companies now that will give you a free quote online. Shop around and see how good of a price you can get.

By my guess $1,000 for full coverage is a pipe dream if you are going to have your own policy that is not attached to your parents/gaurdians in any way. I paid $1,200 a year 10 years ago for an 87 Ford Ranger with nothing but the absolute minimum coverage allowed by law (no collision, no theft). If you are getting a 98-99 Mustang you are going to want full coverage since the car is actually worth something.

If you are added to your parents policy then it will be much cheaper, but I don't know how much. If not, I would anticipate really high costs and would start considering other car options.
  • In most states you have to be 18 to obtain your own insurance policy, therefore you would more than likely have to be on your parent's policy. If the car is financed, full coverage would be required.Your best bet would be to get your parents' insurance co and call them and give them the scenario and they can give you a quote that will be realistic. Good luck and be careful!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,913
    A newspaper reporter is looking to interview someone who bought a car within the past six months. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information, make and model of car, and incentives applied to the purchase by 10 AM Pacific on Friday, January 16, 2004.
    Thanks!
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Hi everyone. I am hoping to buy a new 2004 Mustang in the next few months. I have a Ford Focus and have been semi-pleased with it (except for all the re-calls that it has gone through). I'm wanting the full package...leather, moonroof, spoiler, etc. My question is what should I look out for when looking at Mustangs? We have a family friend that is a dealer at the local Ford shop so I hopefully don't have to worry about him swindling me. I'm needing an automatic transmission since I never learned to drive manual, and i'm wanting the bright yellow color on the outside. :) Also, what version of the Mustang do you think I should get? Thanks for any help you all can give me! Oh, one more thing...do any of you have any regrets on what you didn't get when you bought your Mustang?
    Keri
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Posts: 417
    If you have to have an automatic transmission then get the GT. What little fun you can have in the V6 is completely robbed by the not-so-smooth auto tranny.
    Agreed with revdrlv...get the GT if you have to have an auto.

Or why not get a manual? You'll learn to drive it (you'll have to), and I guarantee you'll love it and wonder why you didn't learn sooner.

Otherwise, what you want is a "premium" edition Mustang (both GTs and V6s are available at this level). Pretty much everything is standard with the premium package...leather, nice stereo, spoiler, etc. However, no moonroof is available at any level...Ford doesn't offer one on Mustangs. However, there are aftermarket ones you can have installed.

But one option to get is abs and traction control. Abs and t/c, which used to be standard on the GT, are now optional at all levels. Both are good things to have.

The one regret I occasionally have is that I didn't get a convertible...on a nice American summer day, there are few things better than a convertible Mustang. : )
    Don't forget tonight's open chat -- Our topic tonight is "Driving distractions: what makes you a bad driver?"

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Drop by for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• hoffs1hoffs1 Posts: 1
    I have a 98 mustang V6/ manual transmission and it moans or grunts when letting off the clutch in 1st or 2nd or 3rd gear especially when the rpms are low. It seems to be in the back end...maybe the differential that is making the noise. What is this noise and is it normal? I have only noticed it lately or since winter set in. Only have 17K on it.
  • Kistie, question, do you keep a page on here that "reviews/highlights" the weekly discussions of Live chat?
    If so, how can I get to it?
    Thanks
  • hhh387hhh387 Posts: 8
    Hey guys havent posted on here in awhile. I finally got my mustang. It is a 96 GT with just over 60,000 miles on it and I love it. I dont know how many people on here have modded mustangs but if so can u tell me what you think the best cold air intake is for a 96 mustang GT and what it would cost me.
    Congrats on the Mustang! What color? 5spd or auto?

Re cold air intake, the consensus is usually that CAIs don't really do much except change the sound of the engine. If that's what you're after, then go for it; otherwise, take a pass and put the money toward something else (does it have a catback?)

The stock Mustang induction system is actually pretty good as is, so you don't get too much of a benefit from swapping for a CAI. It's been said that just adding the drop-in K&N gives you most of the gain you get from a CAI, at about 1/3 of the price.

Just my 2 cents.
    newbuyer31, sorry for the late reply, but if you go to the Town Hall home page:
    http://townhall.edmunds.com/TH/townhall'
    we list the scheduled chats. On a weekly basis, we've got a Mazda (Tues) and Subaru (Thurs) chat. You don't have to be an owner to stop in! The topical chats are held on the third Wednesday of every month, and are often based on popular themes on the News & Views board. Hope to see you at one!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

• hhh387hhh387 Posts: 8
    Hey John,

Its pacific green and its a 5 speed manual. Thing I have heard from most people is that the mustangs air flow is really restrictive but most people say the same thing as you to just go with the K&N air filter. They say CAI only does good if you are running alot of horsepower. Yea it has cat back with an h-pipe. Most people say go with one of these options tell me what you think. I got about $300 to spend. So I got these options

1. Pro 5.0 shifter and the K&N air filter
    2. New catback exhaust system
    3. Headers
    4. CAI and White face gauges
    5. X-pipe
    6. 3.73 read end gears

Tell me which of those you think would be the best or if you have a different suggestion. Thanks
    Nice...always liked that green.

If it were me, I'd probably go with the gears. Best acceleration bang-for-the-buck. When my 2002's out of warranty, I'm going to upgrade to 3.73s myself.

What kind of Mustang are you looking to build? Racer (if so, what kind?) or daily driver (both?) Also, what kind of emmissions concerns do you have where you live?