Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• madmax9madmax9 Posts: 8
    Sounds like a tuneup is in order. My auto 95 can roast tires easy..
  • john_324john_324 Posts: 974
    jkeith1, in my experience, the Mustang is an fairly reliable car overall, but possessed of minor, if irritating, build-quality issues (an unintended retro feature of the car it seems).

My 2002 GT squeaks over bumps (normal, says Ford), clunks into second gear, the A/C compressor makes a "shinck" noise as its clutch goes in and out, the driver's side window squeaks noisely as it goes down and just recently the car has started making a ticking noise that I think might be a tiny exhaust leak (getting it checked out soon).

Not major problems, but annoying nonetheless. However, when I fire her up and hear the exhaust roar, all is forgiven... : )

-John
  • gt4megt4me Posts: 58
    my '02 did the same thing with regards to the 2nd gear "Clunk". I've installed a Steeda Tri-Ax on my '03 which cleaned a lot of that up. Can't understand WHY it helped as it is just a shifter but whatever...

PS
    Anyone know about how long you should go until cleaning a K and N Air filter? Oh ya, and HOW do I clean it?

Thanks!
  • My friends 25th Anniversary mustang is an '89 if that helps.

40th ~ '04
  • thedarkwolfthedarkwolf Posts: 70
    Most autoparts stores should carry a cleaning kit for them and they have instructions on it. Its pretty simple.
  • argentargent Posts: 176
    Chief designer on the Mustang was Hal Sperlich; chief engineer was Don Frey.
  • pinettedpinetted Posts: 104
    Cleaning intervals are at 50k unless you drive on dirt roads etc...
  • I have a '99 with 65K miles on it...NO problems whatsoever. Just keeping the fluids changed regularly....and peel everynow and then.

Dropped in a K&N last winter....will convert to dual exhaust and 17" wheels/tires this summer....the way it runs, I'm looking to have her for the long haul.

Mine is black, no wing. Looks smooth as silk!
  • harlequin1971harlequin1971 Posts: 322
    just jumped into a Hyundai Elantra GT. Pretty good car for the money.

Heading back to school for my masters, so I needed to make sure that my car was under budget and under warranty...didn't want to risk the next year waiting for the new 'stang.

Good luck to you all. I hope this Mustang is everything it looks like it will be. I will be on the fence, waiting for graduation and a fat paycheck on the other end...once I am there, maybe I will be back in the market for a car.
  • hammyztshammyzts Posts: 9
    How does everyone feel about the current lineup of these three models? I recently read a motor trend interview with guys from SVT during a testing of the new GT supercar. They said they were getting a lot of bad press for aiming the GT so high on the food chain, ie. Ferrari and Saleen. The ford guys came back with the concept that the '06 Cobra would compete directly against the corvette and viper, and that the GT supercar needed to go to a bigger target. This is a great time to be a Ford fan and ultimately a sports car fan. If they are planning the '06 Cobra to compete with the Corvette and Viper, that means the '06 GT will be something along the lines of the current '03 Cobra. Another source hinted at a permanent model slated above the GT, similar to the Bullitt, and Mach. This will get the '03 engine treatment, and it won't change names year to year. It will be likely be Boss or Jet. Either way, I think the new Mustang is going to be quite a player, and I think with all the time they are spending developing it will surely make it amazing, and not just a rebadged car, like the GTO, which it will annihilate.
  • than the current one. They need to keep one performance model affordable to the general public.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    I agree. If Ford tries to take the Mustang too upscale, the only thing they'll annihilate are Mustang sales. It sells because it's affordable power wrapped within a decent package.
    In addition, the marketing department will want keep the new GT close to the current one power-wise. From Ford's point of view, why up the horsepower all at once when you can bump it up incrementally over the years, generating renewed interest (and hopefully increased sales) each time?

Also, soaring insurance premiums helped kill the muscle cars the first time around; I wouldn't be surprised if this happens again soon...
  • fdthirdfdthird Posts: 352
    Regarding gt4me's posts above...why does the 03 have a better safety rating then the 02??
    Maybe the better headrests? Aren't they more adjustable, larger and could actually help in the event of a crash?

My '02 has headrests straight out of 1967... : (

-John
  • gt4megt4me Posts: 58
    I have no idea why?? But I'm not arguing about the savings!
  • fdthirdfdthird Posts: 352
    I'd be interested to know if there are any safety rating differences between the 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2003 models.
  • stang03stang03 Posts: 4
    I just bought an 03 GT convertible Centennial Edition - black leather interior, black top, two-tone leather interior. sweeet. can you tell I'm excited? "mid life" - yes, "crisis" - no. So now what, how do I "enhance"? gt4me you mentioned a new shifter. I'm a novice here, what's the difference? does anyone recommend a bra? any other recommendations?
    Welcome to the club...Mustangs are special cars, and are unlike anything else currently available.

I'm not an expert on performance parts, but as far as getting a bra, if you do get one, read the instructions that come with it.

Most people who have them don't realize that you're not supposed to keep them on the car 24-7 (unless you want the two-tone look), and leaving a wet bra (from rain, etc.) on the car is terrible for the paint.

-John