Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• sbakersbaker Posts: 30
    I've sort of wondered about that myself. I always assumed that the sunroof indicated a solid top, as in body colored metal panel, when closed. Like both my old VW's ('74 Beetle, '86 Golf) had. While moonroof was more like the smoke colored panel, with or without a sliding solid interior panel, like my current Infiniti has. However, the way I've seen the terms used in ads offers little or no help.
  • dan1dan1 Posts: 76
    I believe the difference is that a sunroof only pops up and a moonroof can retract. Probably the main reason they do not offer a moonroof is that it would cut into the amount of headroom by at least an inch or two. I guess they could offer one that opens and slides back above the roof instead of into it.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    They didn't go through the trouble to design a z-fold topped convertible so that people could just get a coupe with a moon roof instead.

Mark
  • sbakersbaker Posts: 30
    As I thought... the term is nebulous at best. Although, if one is to believe that article, my assumptions were pretty close. Thanks for the link.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,913

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• john_324john_324 Posts: 974
    I thought it was good, and was (pleasantly) somewhat surprised that the Mustang beat out the Z overall.

But the video really needs to lose the dorky background music, at least for the track shots....we want to hear the cars!
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,535
    Both the RX8 and the Mustang GT beat out the Z. At least with the RX8, that's been the case since both the Z and the RX8 has been introduced.

Someone on a different board once called the Z "the best Mustang ever made". That was before the '05 Mustang hit the streets. Now, the '05 Mustang GT is once again the best Mustang ever made.
  • I recently purchased a 05 mustang. not only am i getting bad mileage, 13 miles to the gallon, but am having problems putting gas in. As i pump, or let it do it on auto, it stops like the tank is full. However, it is not full. It usually pumps 5 gallons and then stops. Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem.

Thanks
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    In my view a Mustang would win out due to the Z having a god-awful high door window sill, with a little slit of a window to see out of on either side. It is a creepy tight feeling. There is also the excessive tire wear issue on the Z. Other than that, it would just about beat anything out there. The RX-8 is a fine car. It uses too much gas and oil, but other than those two negatives, I can think of little else wrong. It is truely a great handling car. For the most balance car for everyday use, the Mustang seems tops between the three. And a V6 with a stick getting around 28MPG on the freeway, while not great, is at least acceptable mileage. I would think that Ford could get the V8 up and into the 28MPG range, like the Corvettes. If gas is not an issue, and using a quart of oil every 1k to 2k or so, not an issue, I would consider the RX-8. My favorite Z dates back to '95. Don't really care so much about the new one. New o6 Eclipse will look awesome. And those that judge a car by it's HP, will like the 260HP V6 coming out this year's model. All those mentioned seem overpriced to me -- discounts to follow!

Would not pay retail, or even $4k over retail on a 'Stang when they will be $2k under retail or more within the year - no doubt.

Loren
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,957
    I guess there was a bad link on the camparo among the Mustang, RX-8 and 350Z that Edmunds did recently, so here it is again for those who asked:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=10- 4196

thanks

Host

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Some misconceptions about the RX8. I own one of the first ones to hit these shores. They've upgraded the ECU and I'm getting around 24 MPG on the highway, now. While my RX8 does use a wee bit of oil, since the first oil change (at 5K miles), I've not had to add any between changes. Mine uses about 1 qt every 5K miles, which is by design.

Agree about the Z. I've looked at and test drove them (and thier G35 Coupe cousins) and there's not enough there for me to like.

I think Mustang production is getting up to speed. Local dealer has about 20 V6s and 5 GTs sitting on his lot as of last weekend. They are already discounting the V6s. As the GTs become more plentiful, I'm sure they will be discounted as well (if they aren't already).
    graphiguy:

Good to hear you are getting 24MPG, as some people are only managing to get 22. Here in California, gas is so expensive, the 24MPG would not be enough for me; but I am kinda cheap. The RX-8 is an awesome handling car, so I can see you do some sacrafice in the gas dollar payouts per tank. If you are using a quart of oil per 5k, that is great, and like you said by spec. for the way the engine works. If it stops at that rate, that is great. Hope it does for you. I wonder how insurance rates compare to a Mustang?
  • the first day possible to order them is march 1, as far as i know. if the 8 week wait continues, that would put the first arrival at the beginning of may. $29995 base price : )
    " the first day possible to order them is march 1, as far as i know. if the 8 week wait continues, that would put the first arrival at the beginning of may. $29995 base price : ) "

Wow, $30K for a Mustang? With BMW's, and such starting at under $29K, I think that price would be out of line. I realize rag tops cost more, but really... Miatas with a turbo can be had for around $22k. The Mustang was always a great value in a sporty car for the masses. Are they finally installing a roll bar in the soft top? If the V6 hardtop was selling around $18k and the GT around $22 - 23K, I could understand that. Even $24K or so for a convertible GT with a roll bar, would not seem too crazy, but not $30k. Next thing ya know a Pontiac GTO will be selling for $35K ;-)) I hear is is headed down to around $25k or so on the '04 since they tried to sell those overpriced cars. A Holden ain't worth that sort of dollar.
  • enamelenamel Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,

I need to know what everyone thinks.

I have a chance to purchase a 71 mach 1, 429CJ with a 4-speed in pretty good shape. It will need floors but body is pretty darn good. I think it's an easy resto. Interior is pristine and it only has 55K miles. Everything is documented. It looks good. What do you think I should pay roughly and what would it be worth, say as a no. 2 driver? I have already checked NADA and others but I need your expert opinion.

Thanks a million.

Bob in Calgary
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,747
    The cheapest BMW 325i convertible STARTS at $39K. Street price for a GT coupe should start around $23K and a GT convertible around $28K once the fever dies down. And a Mustang GT will run circles around a 325i.
  • Has anyone been able to purchase a 2005 Mustang GT with the x-plan. If so, which dealership accepted it?

I am located in New Jersey and am having a difficult time finding a dealership here that will honor the X-plan. I am willing to fly anywhere in the country and drive the car back.

Thanks for your help.

Pat
  • in north texas, the supply of gts is extremely low, however x-plans are taken on them all day long. dont take the bait, brother. use your x-plan.
    miata....I've seen some pretty dismal MPG figures from other RX8 owners. But, any sports car fanatic isn't going to put economy anywhere near the top of their "must have" features. If they do, then they are not really a sports car candidate. A buddy has a mini-Cooper S. He gets worse MPG than I do.

Insurance rates between the Mustang (speaking strictly GT variety, here) would be more or less about the same as they are on my RX8. That said, I'm in my 40s and have a clean driving record.

The GTs are stacking up in Indiana (more specifically, Indianapolis). Local dealer around me (I'm just barely on the OH side of Indiana) has about 5 in stock.

I've only talked to 2 dealers (one in OH, one in IN). They both said they'll order any GT I want on the X plan (sister works for Ford). They are quoting 4-6 weeks for delivery if you don't want one off their lot.

Wait a month or two and you should be able to get whatever color, option package you want as production has cranked up on them.
    Just order one and you can get it exactly the way you want it at X plan pricing. Can't beat that.
    Let your engine break in a little more. MPG will get better. That said, the MPG you're getting with the V6 sounds more like what I would expect from the GT. On the other hand, the Ford V6s have never been known to be very frugal with fuel.
    Sorry, that wasn't me.
    Well a 350HP Corvette can get 28 to 30 MPG, I would say Ford needs to do a little more homework on gas mileage for their autos. Yeah, I know they cost less. Fanatics may snap back into reality when gas hits $3 a gallon. It is possible to have extremely fun to drive cars, with plenty of get up and go and still get 30 MPG. This is the 21st century.
    Sorry....it must have been someone else bemoaning their MPG in the V6 Mustang.

The way they get good MPG in the Corvette is with the skip shift. I'll take the lower MPG without skip shift.

Neighbor has a c5 'Vette. He doesn't get near 28 MPG in his. That said, he and I both drive similarly. Just by the way we drive, I'd question my ability to get anything near 28 MPG in a 'Vette, either.
  • I recently lowered my 05 Mustang GT with a set of Eibach springs form The Tire Rack. The subtle change in ride height looks great, makes the stock wheels look better, and greatly improves handling. Also, I liked the chrome spinners on the V6 Halibrand-inspired wheels, so I ordered a set and snapped them in my standard painted grey GT wheels. It adds some bling and promotes the retro look.
    That's highway mileage and it's achieved with the 6 speed manual and deep overdrive. Skip shift helps with the city mileage but that's nowhere near 28.
    I'm not doubting that some people may get 28 MPG out of the 'vette. I'm saying I doubt I could based on the way I drive.

I'm getting 24 MPG in all highway with the cruise set to 75 MPH in my RX8. Getting 28 MPG, while quite a feat in any V8 powered car, wouldn't make it that much of a difference for me even if fuel economy was an issue.

I don't expect that the Mustang GT will be much different than what I'm getting in the MPG dept. either.
  • Hello all! Can anyone tell me if the 2005 convertable will use the same Shaker 1000 dual 10" sub enclosure as in the coupe? or will it be a different shape/size? Thank-you!
    Every GM or Japanese car I ever owned, I got about 10% or more over the government listed MPG. Ford seems to have a problem getting to the gov. list MPG. No, it may not drive one to the poor house, but it is still something Ford should work on. Overall, the Stang looks like a pretty good value. Will wait for the $2k to $3k off sticker pricing to come. A V8 for around $22K and a V6 around $18K seems about right.