Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• john_324john_324 Posts: 974
    Just found this, on this website no less:

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/driving/articles/42970/article.h- tml

In short, no head gasket issues for the 1997 3.8 V6 Mustang. So in that case, I'd say go for it!
  • Has anyone bought a sequential taillight harness for their Mustang? Good or bad experience? I have a 2002 convertible and I thought the tri-blinking taillights would be cool - like the old Cougars.
  • john_324, thanks for the feedback re: bad repair service. In the past the dealer actually provided good service at times, but in the year 2003 there suddenly was a big change for the worse. I hope I can help someone else who may have the same problems as I did with my Mustang 3.8 V6. If any of you have a slow constant coolant leak, w/ no obvious external leak, don't let anyone make you believe this is acceptable. The last person I know who thought this was normal ended up having a blown head gasket (he has a Ford Crown Victoria). Lucky for him, because of my experience he knew right away that he was better off going to an independent mechanic & got the whole engine replaced for much less than what the dealer would charge. If you have a similar coolant leak (mine was due to a defective head gasket), don't let the mechanic get away with doing only a pressure test & telling you he can't find anything. Other tests that can help diagnose the problem are: a chemical test, compression test, & leak-down test. Also, especially now, be extra careful about making sure defective parts still under warranty get taken care of promptly before you unfairly have to pay for them.
  • CDC manufactures the sequential tailights and they are a good quality shop. They also make the most popular light bar. So I would think as long as they are installed correctly you would have no problem.
  • Thanks a lot for the info. My dealer recommended nothing but CDC also. I thought the sequential lights would be a nice change rather than having the euro lights that everyone has for around the same price.
  • I own a premium V6 convertible. I suppose I might be a little older than the fellows that are discussing purchases. I bought a vinyl roadster cover to go over the back seats and my paint is diamond plated (red). It is an absolutely gorgeous car and absorbs mega-stares. You can also add exhausts to the v6s that nearly sound like a v8s so unless you are looking to burn up pavement and attrack tickets, the v6 is a nice choice if you are looking to save a few bucks. I choose the convertible over power I guess. PS: I have never been stopped by a cop (yet). ;)
  • I'm looking to buy a '99 or '00 V6 Convertible shortly. Are there any specific things on these models I should be checking out when I'm looking at used Mustangs ? Any weak points on the car that needs specific attention? etc
    Thanks
    Bmolloy, thought you were "gonna have a V8?!" ; )

But re your question, nothing really to worry about...the V6s are more or less the same as the V8s with the exception of the engine, suspension and exhaust.

Something to be aware of: 15 vs 16 inch wheels ('99 V6s had 15 inchers across the board...I think in '00 16" ones came with the deluxe model). 16" ones are probably better looking (I think anyway).

Other than that, can't really think of anything. Best of luck.
  • Thanks John,
    well I looked at the bhp figures for the 99 and 00 V6's (190 bhp) and thought that it was enough for me, maybe the insurance would be cheaper too, and with going to be driving in and around Los Angeles I thought the extra power of a V8 would be a waste :(

Of course the V6 is a lot cheaper to buy too ...

So I was just checking if there were any specific stuff I needed to be on the lookout for when buying one. My girlfriend tells me that, in general, American cars are c**p regarding reliability .. and thats from her experience of being an American, but hey .. I'm a Brit .. going to live in sunny LA .. of course I want a convertible and an American car .. geez we have zillions of Mercedes, Audi's, Volvo's, VW and all the Japanese stuff over here .. I want something different.

Having said that, a Mustang isn't different over in LA, but it will be for a Brit :)
    Fair enough...the V6 is a great car in its own right and plenty of fun. Look at it this way...the current V6s serve up nearly as much power as did the 1980s Mustang GTs. There's plenty of power to get you in trouble, no doubt about it.

Since you're English, you'll appreciate this: the character of the V6 Mustangs is similar to the 2.5 Capris avaible in the UK in the 1970s and 1980s. Just think of Bodie and Doyle as you careen around corners in your 'Stang. ; )
  • I used to have a 1970 V6 Capri, 3.0Ltr many many years ago, .. and it went great :)

Mind you .. my current toy is a 4.2 Jaguar eType/XKE roadster .. now that is fun. It will be a shame to sell it as I've had it for years .. but I doubt it will pass the Calif emission standards without a load of expense :(

I'll just have to sell it and then look out for an Calif XKE when I've got settled in !
    The V6 Mustangs seem (to me anyway) to feel more nimble than the V8s. Don't know why, and the hard data doesn't bear it out, but I think maybe it's psychological: given that there's less power, you feel more comfortable pushing it to the limits...whereas with a GT, there's so much power that it's easier to lose control, and so you hold back. I dunno.

But regardless, the V6 Mustangs I think will remind you of your Capri a lot... : )

I'll get reprimanded if this thread gets offtrack, but I have to say this...Jaguar XKE = Best. Car. Ever.
  • I appreciate your advice about the V6 Mustang. I feel alot more confident now about getting one. I think its what I'm looking for at this stage: not too expensive, plenty of power, a convertible and pretty reliable. I'm sure I'll like the V6

My days of blasting people off at lights are long gone .. but having enough power when you want it under your right foot is what its all about for me nowadays. I'll be inclined to go for a manual box too just to get the most out of it when needed.

btw .. I agree totally with your sentiments re: XKe .. I love it.

thanks for your help
    Bill
  • you settle for a v6. You may change your mind about 190hp being enough :).
  • I bought a 2000 V6 convertible brand new and with over 88,000 on it now, stills runs like new, no problems yet.BTW, my V6 is loaded,leather, Mach, etc but came with 15 inch wheels standard with the 16 inch being optional for that model year at least when my stang was built.Buy it, you will like it ;-)
  • pinettedpinetted Posts: 104
    I was recently on vacation in Florida and got to drive a 2000 GT Conv. for a night. The only problem is now I want a mustang even more. It was an automatic and I did not really get on it that hard but that V8 sound so sweet! I was suprised at how little wind buffeting there was with the top and windows down. I am not really considering a convertable but who knows. Hopefully this year I will be able to swing a used 03 Cobra, if not mybe an 02 Cobra or a Bullitt.
  • printzprintz Posts: 70
    Will be picking it up next Tuesday.......Awesome power, great looking car....The drivers seat is not that comfortable, & the ride is questionable......It's a 2nd car so won't be driven that much(just to have some fun in)...Got it for 21,000 + tax(it's an automatic)....Question for anyone....What rpms should it be idling at???, it seemed when I test drove it, she idled a little high......
    Thanks
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,810
    Don't forget tonight's open chat -- Our topic tonight is "Best New Sports Cars of 2004 - GTO, Mustang, ??"

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Drop by for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Idle should be around 750 rpm (or so...it's hard to tell exactly) once she's warmed up.

I have noticed that at first the rpms are a tad high, but they will drop as the car warms up.

Congrats on the new Mustang. Yeah, they are a bit rough around the edges, but that's part of the charm. : )

John
  • tackytacky Posts: 3
    Hi,folks. I realize I came to the right place. I have some questions that only you guys can help me. I am thinking about buying a 2nd hand 2002 V6 manual stang coupe. I test-drove that car, everything is fine except for the rear struts and the RWD transmission axle are kind of rusted and a vebration can be felt on the shifting knob at all speed and all gears, not only when accelerating but also at normal cruise. The latter thing bothers me a lot. The vibration can not be seen by eyeballso, but it could easily be felt by hand, making hand-on-knob driving a unpleasant feeling. I was wondering whether it's normal to Stang. I checked with other people: those who drive civic said no, and those who drive mitsbishi said yes. I am confused, so guys, I am waiting for your answer. Thank you!