Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• mine's a 99 and it's glass.. i don't think i've seen a late model mustang convertible with plastic rear window.. is she sure?
  • kyleknicks, I questioned it too, but she swears it's plastic. Next time I see her I will have to remember to go tap on that back window myself and see whassup.
  • The current Mustang convert has a glass rear window.
  • Could be it has an aftermaket top with a plastic window...didn't you say it's a used Mustang?

<shurg>
  • fdthirdfdthird Posts: 352
    Yea...my 88 had glass, my 2000 has glass...if your friend has a plastic rear window its a cheap aftermarket replacement!
  • Hi Everyone,

Quick question.. Just got a certified 01 Mustang Convertible (oxford white with med parchment tan top and interior) V6, Love the car so much.. 2nd mustang, previous was a restored 68 mustang GT, orginial heritage aqua blue with matching interior and black vinyl top. Had it in the early 80's and nicknamed her Diana Supreme..because it just remind me of that whole era..anyway fast forward to now.. this new one is named Seabiscut, because it may be only a V6, but it knows it comes from thorobred roots and has lots of heart..now here is the million dollar question. what is the difference in driving dynamics between the live rear axle, solid rear axle and IRS? I know I could do a google but I figured this may be more interesting..

Why did I get a V6 instead of a GT? this is the first time ever I have ever optioned for the lesser engine..previous cars were the Mark VIII (a cobra engine in sheep's clothing) and a car before this was an 02 VW Jetta 1.8 turbo, 180 hores in a very lightwight car..0-90 in no time flat and before you know it or felt it you would look down at the speedo and say you were just this side of 100..so was kind of looking for something this time that would let me know what it was doing this time before doing it..all that said I do think the GT is worth the extra dollars..

well that's all for now..

Sign me, not really a Sally, but still a girl driver who ius driving my mustang all over town, cruising the highways and by ways of Southern California..
  • In everyday driving, the biggest difference between an IRS and a live-axle setup will be when you hit surface irregularities in the road.

A car with an IRS system will "soak up" those bumps, fissures and potholes, as each wheel moves up and down independently from the other. So one side of a car may lose traction, but the other probably won't.

In a live-axle car however the wheels will move together, and something that affects one side will affect the other as well.

A great example of the difference is what happens when you hit a bump in the middle of a turn. An IRS-equipped car will ride it out fine, whereas a live-axle car like a Mustang will skitter sideways briefly as both wheels lose their grip.

BTW shouldn't the Mark VIII be a "cobra engine in elephant's clothing"? Those things were huge.
  • I am currently having the windshield replaced and body painted on my project car. I noticed pitted emblems that could use replacing. Anyone know of a good source/vendor/website for purchasing or ordering these parts for a reasnable price? Anything else that is easier to do now while the body is being painted? I am in Los Angeles. Any good shops for parts around here?
    Thanks for any help/advice
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    Pick up a copy of Mustang Monthly at your newstand. It will be chock full of vendors ads, some of which I am sure are within driving distance of LA.

Easier to do now while the body is being painted? Oh lord, the list is endless....

Maybe all new weatherstriping and window felts. Now would be a good time to clean up/replace some of the chrome glass trim. Door/trunk locks are probably all scratched up. Cleanup/repaint the grill. New taillight lenses/bezels.....how much money you wanna spend?
  • Try California Mustang as well...http://www.cal-mustang.com/. I believe they're in or near L.A.

They also publish a very cool Classic Mustang spotters guide that's well worth the $17.
  • John for your rxplantion on the difference between solida/live rear axle and IRS..sounds like it is more a cost saving measure than anything else..though I wonder why they say it is preferered by mustang owners -- technical reason other than cost?

as far as the Lincoln Mark VIII it really was a great car..very high tech and lightweight (matter of fact it got better gas mileage than my V6) the whole car lowered when you traveled over 50 miles an hours..because it was so high tech the Mark spent lots of quality time with the mechenic, ha air supension, transmission and engine all replaced with 6 months times and because of that reason would be hard pressed to recommend that car without a Ford service contract..

as for me I work as a Ford delarship now as an F&I Manager so I always recommend extended warranties, lol..but truly personally would never be without one.. Looking forward to mid October with the new 05 Mustangs start rolling in..people seem to be leaving deposits on the black 05 GTs..

I like the interior treatment of the 05 alot..so glad Ford has done a dramtic change of the gauges etc, keeping it from looking the same as all other Ford cars IMHO..

well guess that's it for now..
  • The live axle bit is, as you say, mostly a cost-saving measure that'll keep the price down.

However, there is a small but quite vocal drag racing crowd that prefers a live rear axle for both the iron durability and the better traction on smooth 1/4 mile tracks.

Just kidding about the Mark VIIIs...I always kinda liked them (though I liked the proportions of the VII better). Those cars were "banker's Mustangs" to be sure.

Be sure to keep us non-car-industry people apprised of what you see at your dealership re the 2005s...even the smallest bit of news ("hey, today the parts dept. got some '05 floor mats in!!) seems to cause a stir. ;-)
  • dclsdcls Posts: 32
    I have a '98 lazer red convertible and am looking for a replacement front bumper cover, preferably w/ the factory finish. No luck at several web sites. Anyone?? Also, any recomendations to clean up the beige top - it's in good shape, just a little dull. Don't want to damage paint. Thanks,
  • Just wondering what others have been paying for '04 V6 Premium package Mustang's. Have an offer in the 20-21.5 range right now w/ pony package, interior upgrade, Mach stereo w/ 6-disc changer, leather seats.
  • dcls, good question...all the body parts I see these days are for the 1999+ Mustangs. Tried an ebay search? As for cleaning up the top, a good carwash solution has always worked for me. Use a soft brush too. That should do it.

Darren, that price range sounds about right for a loaded V6 convertible with all the goodies (though I do note for 2004, Ford got rid of that odd running pony decal it previously used on the pony package in 2003...I bet no one misses it.)
  • Any chance any of the readers have had this problem. The fan only works on the highest speed. Took out the resistor. The replacement ran for about 5-10 seconds on the lowest speed and burned out. It sparked and smoked at the resistor (?) in the center of the part. I replaced it. The replacement started to smoke instantly. I suspect I am getting too much voltage. Tried to measure it but could not figure out how. More important, what might cause this? I thought if ground bad, then it wouldn't work. Doesn't seem like the voltage could be all that high because the old switch works on high speed at what seems like normal speed with no amount of heat being given off. Someone tell me that you have run into this and that the fix is easy.
  • dclsdcls Posts: 32
    I did try ebay. Don't know what the deal is w/ '99+ body parts. '94-'98 shouldn't be that hard to find. Thanks for the top cleaner tip.
  • Hi guys and gals,
    I am writing from Australia and have zero knowledge on cars. I just inherited my father's 1965 Mustang Coupe in Wimbledon White with the 289ci V8. I was going to post the VIN numbers but am not sure which ones are which. It's a three speed auto and was never converted to LHD. Dad kept it in prestine condition and away from his "rev-head" sons by keeping it a secret. He loving stored it in a storage Unit down the coast. We didn't know he owned it until the reading of his will. I think I saw it once when I was about 8 or 9.
    My problem is we want to insure the car and don't want to alert any Aussie Mustang car clubs that it exists just yet.
    What does a "pony interior" mean and what does a "California Car" mean?
    My dad refers to both in his video will. "Look after the original pony interior." and "my California Car use to take me back to my Slade days." We know who Slade is.
    I am sure you guys can help!
    As the car only has 6500 miles on the clock should we consider more than just servicing it? I think the front brakes are drums. Should we replace the drum brakes with disc's?
    The car was serviced by the same guy for nearly 40 years. His son offered us $65,000 Aussie Dollars, thats about $45,000 US. Is that a good price?
    Sorry for being so ignorant about Mustangs. We are reading as much as we can but it's hard because we are a family of musicians not car enthusiasts. Ah dad why did you keep this a secret?
    Cheers, Noddy
    Bloody lucky s.o.b!!!!!

6500 original miles??? Holy smokes!

The 'Pony Interior' refers to a very desireable (though pretty common) optional interior upgrade over the base interior. Amoung other things, it featured upgraded upholstery featuring a group of running horses in the backrest (hence the 'pony' interior).

I don't think 'California Car' has any special connotation for the '65 model year. I believe there was a 'California Special' that came out with the '67 model year but I could easily be mistaken.

A '65 with that few of miles would be a fairly valuable car (duh!). Personally, I would NOT convert the front brakes to disks; I would try to leave it as 'original' as feasible. Yes, I would think that $45k USD would be a very good price. Though how much sentimental value it may have should obviously be considered as well.
    I caught about the last 45 minutes of an hour long show on Discovery Channel last night on the development of Ford's new Mustang to compete in the Grand Am series (road racing). Good story on the development process (including the new 5.0liter DOHC race motor). Lots of in car track video of the old (circa '99) car as well as the new car. Also had a fair amount of in-car track video of what looked to be a production model GT. Show ended with in-car video of Kurt Busch taking the new racecar through its paces.

Show to be re-broadcast this Sunday, Oct. 3, at 2:00 pm.

http://dsc.discovery.com/schedule/episode.jsp?episode=0&cpi=2- 4805&gid=0