Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• john_324john_324 Posts: 974
    Oh, almost forgot...with new gears, you'll also need to buy an electronic recalibrator for the speedometer, so that the new gears don't throw off the reading. There are a bunch of brands, and they're easy to install.
    Should be a little fabric loop sticking out at the top of each seat, in the middle. You pull forward on them, and the seat folds down.

Maybe the loops on yours have gotten hidden between the top of the seat and the seat frame? Might have to feel around to find them.
  • I went out and bought a tester for my 96 Mustang because the check engine light keeps coming on. I read the book and also looked up the code online, but it's not telling me what I may have to replace can anyone please tell me what code P1443 is for. :cry:
  • 2000gt12000gt1 Posts: 2
    Thanks! I tried the loops before but this time I put my back into it and the seats finally open up. I guess the previous owner never opened them... actually the opening is small so that might be the reason.
    I believe it's a fuel system code, related to purge valve operation (I vaguely remember someone on a Mustang site awhile ago with this problem)...

I'm usually of the opinion that with fuel system stuff, it's usually best to let a professional handle it, but I'm sure if you go to a mustang site like stangnet (add the www and the .com to that), you can get directions on how to better analyze and/or resolve the issue.

Good luck!
  • hilly64hilly64 Posts: 2
    have 93 white special edition convert, 5.0, 5 sp., 33k miles, runs like a top. 440 or so 5 speeds made. 1000 or so automatics were made. 100% stock, owner for 5 yrs., over past yr. or so, paint variance has surfaced, front end tends toward ivory & from ft. doors back "white." former owner (s) say it's never been hit nor is there a carfax report of being hit. no indidication of body work anywhere. have been told the special edition was not factory but farmed out for the convertible conversion, therefore the reason for the paint difference. need to resolve as planning to sell. any thoughts?? thanks!
    Did the previous owner or yourself ever use a bra? (on the car, I mean...) ;)

Leaving a bra on a car for any length of time can result in a sorta two-toned paint job, since the paint underneath the bra isn't exposed to the sun as is the rest of the car.

How far does the ivory color at the front extend back?
  • hilly64hilly64 Posts: 2
    the entire front forward...fenders, hood, etc.
    Hmmm. Could simply be a quality control issue. Esp. since '93 was the last year for the Fox Body and I'm sure in '94 a new shade of white was used (to go with the new SN95).

Wouldn't surprise me if part of your car was the '93 model year white and the other part the '94. :(
  • Hello everyone. I just purchased a 2004 mustang and I can't seem to find a high beam switch or lever. Is there one or am I going crazy???
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,671
    It's hidden in the glove box inside the owner's manual. ;)

Actually, try pushing the turn signal forward. After you've read the owner's manual.
  • Perfect place to find it. But that was just plain ornery LOL.
  • HAHAHA! Ornery yes...but funny, too! I am guilty of looking everywhere before checking the manual.
    MaryAW
    Sorry, this is my biggest pet peeve (followed closely by spelling "brake" as "break"). First, you take up other people's time to answer a question that you could have easily found yourself. Second - it would take all of 3 or 4 minutes to look this up in the OM rather than waiting hours or days for someone to answer it.

And since the OMs are now online ( https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owners_manuals/default.asp ) you can't use the "I was at work and the car was at home" excuse.
  • And to think I just had my time wasted reading this? Good to see OM are online though. And we will all try to be perfect from now on and use our spell check. Thanks for reprimanding us lesser humans. ;)
    Has nothing to do with spelling. Everyone makes typos. Using it once might be a typo - doing it 2 or 3 times in one post isn't. Is it asking too much to expect adults to know as much as a 12 year old in middle school?
  • That OM site only goes back to '96. Have any links for earlier models, such as a '95 GT? Thanks.
    Nope - sorry.
  • akirby,
    I'm not the person who originally posted the question. Please don't flame me.
    This is supposed to be a fun forum for Mustang owners..hey, they are FUN cars!

BTW, I read MY owner's manual when I got my Mustang but I still have questions and am happy to answer questions for anyone else who has them. JUST ASK.
    Sorry, Mary - that wasn't directed at you or anyone else in particular - I should not have used the word "you". It was just a general comment.

I also don't think it's asking too much for people to RTM before asking a question.
  • About 2 months ago i drove about an hour and a half from Michigan to Ohio and picked up a 03 GT CONV premium. It had only 12000 miles, this baby was beautiful, and it was certified. I walked in with cash in my hand, added the extended warranty, and gap insurance and walked out paying 18000.
  • That's the number of days left before I am able to head to Wyoming to pick up my '95GT. First thing I'll do is "read the Owner Manual" lol, after which I'm sure there will still be questions. Once I'm up there first thing will be to change all fluids for my own peace of mind. Considering going right to synthetic on the oil since there are only 14+K miles on the car. I changed over to synthetic on my 351W when it had 120K and started a seal leak. Had never leaked a drop prior to using the synthetic. I have never heard of that occuring but given the viscosity and structure of the synthetic several of us agree that it might be possible to get past an old seal using the syn. I switched back to 5w-30 and the leak slowed to almost no leak at all. Remember, it never leaked at all previously.

I'm interested in hearing any other's thoughts on this occurance.
    That's common for a high mileage engine - especially older ones that had more tolerance. If the new 95 only has 14K miles it should be ok with synthetic.
  • The car is totally original and showroom condition. Cuz has kept it started and a little drive now and then. Never have been sure why he buys cars and then just stores them. I know the car has been ran and driven enough to keep the seals in shape so I should be fine with synthetic. Only hesitation is that if a seal leaks, it will always leak. At least that has been my experience.

Thanks for the reply and input.

I'm taking some extra cash along for tire replacement. I have an eery feeling I'll be buying a set of tires before I get home. They are like new, but old. I stored a '72 SS Chevelle one time for a couple of years and when I went back to drive it to my new location, I ended up replacing all 4 tires due to broken steel belts. I should have had it on stands. Miserable lesson learned.
  • I have about 70,000 miles on my GT and am curious about when the shocks/struts should be replaced? I would like to replace with better than OEM if available. Any suggested brands and ballpark figure on cost? Thanks ...
  • Tried this post on the transmission forum got no response. Just picked up this '02 GT convert. Hate the shifter, feels like a truck. Thinking about a pro-5.0 or a tri-ax. Advice and opinions appreciated.
  • Trying to think of a Christmas present for a really good friend who LOVES Mustangs. Has an '02 Saleen.

Any kinda fun Mods? Or something that any Mustang boy would love? Did the Mustang Seatbelt-Belt Buckle last year which he loved ... but I'm drawing a blank for this year
  • I need to know how to modify perameters with a Diablo Sport Tuner on a 2003 Mustang SVT Cobra. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • I just had a new clutch put in my 2000 GT. The off light for the traction control button dosen't come on when i push it. Is it not shutting off or does it have a fuse, what could it be?