Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• kyleknickskyleknicks Posts: 433
    u must've gotten a great deal on your stang in the middle of winter for a leftover convertible....

i've heard about boots flying off from time to time.. so i'm not surprised.. I bought my 99 used and it came with a boot which I have yet to use even once... it just doesn't seem to snap in correctly...
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Yes, it happens all the time. I don't use the boots on either of mine for that reason, and would only use them for show.,
  • vc5573vc5573 Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Ford Mustang Convertible and the passenger side power window doesn't work. What is strange is that from the drivers side button, the window doesn't work at all. But from the passenger side button, you can get the window to go down but not back up. All the other windows work fine, including the smaller power windows in the back. Is this a computer issue that can be fixed with a resetting of it, or is this something bigger than that. Thanks for your help!
  • lateralglateralg Posts: 929
    Happened on my '01 and my friend's 02.

I'm not comfortable driving without the boot. I like the protection from UV and dust & grit on the headlining.
    Sounds like a couple of bad buttons to me. May be the regulator or motor too, but not the Body Control Module, and you'd better hope it's not. That puppy is expensive, if this car has one.....
  • debvilledebville Posts: 3
    So how did you resolve this? A replacement from Ford would just fit the same and it could happen again. I too am not comfortable driving without it. This is my baby and I want to make sure it lasts! I have waited a long time for my convertible. :)
    I drive both of my convertibles bootless with confidence! Never been a problem.
  • fdthirdfdthird Posts: 352
    I must agree with nvbanker, I drive my 00 convert mostly bootless.

What I did get :blush: that I like is a soft toneau cover from Ford. It is always folded in my trunk (try doing that with the factory boot which is even now on a shelf in my garage) and goes on easily. What I had to do was open the trunk and replace the screws that hold on the black molding around the well area with screws/snaps. Then to put the toneau on, you open the trunk, snap down the back end, fit the sides under the molding (this is the way the boot on my 88 went on) and then slide two sold pieces under the seat. Looks good, stores easily in the car and covers the back seat.
  • john_324john_324 Posts: 974
    I've always liked the looks of that tonneau cover (too bad I don't have a convertible), and seems to have the added benefit of keeping junk out of the back seats as well. Kinda like a Mustang version of that '62 Thunderbird "sports roadster" package! ;)
  • I AM A BUYER SEARCHING FOR MY FIRST MUSTANG PURCHASE....I AM LOOKIN TO PURCHASE A MUSTANG BETWEEN THE YEARS OF '02-'04....MY MAIN DILEMMA IS DECIDING BETWEEN A V6 MUSTANG CONVERTIBLE OR A V8 COUPE.....BOTH WILL BE IN DARK SHADOW GRAY COLOR....PLEASE TELL ME WHICH YOU WOULD CHOOSE AND A LIST OF PRO'S N CON'S EXPLAINING WHY.....THANK YOU
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    Please do not type in ALL CAPS. It is difficult to read and people think you are yelling at them.
  • Can u at least answer my question? im in desperate need of help.....
    Ok, Desperate - The pros for the Convertible are obviously the potential for droppin' the top, which makes this about the most attractive car for the money made. The V-8 is a Driver's car, but the insurance may be higher and fuel costs will be for sure. But if you like to put your foot in it a little, the engine is a sweet one. IMO, the best of both worlds, is the GT Convertible......
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Posts: 433
    i would most def agree with nvbanker... the sweet spot is the GT convertible.. i bought my v6 convertible because of the nice looks plus its a convertible.. the engine performance didn't mean as much to me... but looking back, if this is my one and only car.. i would've gotten the GT convertible...

its really based on what is more important to you... having the top down, not racing from stop lite to stop lite or having a muscle car with awesome performance..
  • What about theft issues and amount of outside noise while driving with top up on convertibles?? How big of a problem are those for convertible owners????? Also....visibility out back when top is up? Let me know.......
    One more thing......when adding a sound system to a convertible....how much can you add without putting things into the trunk????

Trying to make a smart decision.....
    The Mustang top is double layered, and of high quality, so it's quieter than many, and seals well. Holds up to the car wash test with no leaks too. I've had mine sliced with a knife, but they didn't get inside. Had to have the top replaced. Cost me $1,000, insurance paid. Two day job. New one just as good as the old one. That's the one issue, vandalism can be a thing, but you gotta live a little. Like I said, they never got in. They can bash in your window too.
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    1) Has anyone owning a pre-'05 Stang raised their gas pedal? Maybe adding a block raiser or using a space under the pedal. It looks to me like it is hard to safely move the foot off the gas and to the brake without some considerable raising of the foot. Seems like you could accidentally get the side of the foot hitting the side of the brake instead of clearing to the top. And I assume heal and toe is impossible too.
    2) Those buying a convertible, also buying a roll bar?
    3) Can you actually average around 20 MPG with the V8 and 23 MPG with the V6 in all around driving. Maybe the V8 then is not too far off the gas mileage of the V6.
    4) Your insurance quotes per year between the V6 and the GT around $170 to $200 more on the GT. I believe that was about the range I was quoted, depending on year.

If you garage a convertible, they are more easy to live with. If kept outdoors, there are a variety of issues to contend with. As for the feeling of top down driving, it can be fun indeed - sort of like a motorcycle ride. Well kinda. That said, if ya like comfort many a day is too hot or too cold for the top down. Convertibles do add weight to a car, so the performance speed wise and gas mileage can be a little less. There is more maintenance too. It is like buying a boat - be sure you will actually use it often, and not have it become a negative. It adds fun to the drive, in some cases. There is a sense of freedom and sport to the top down driving. Trust me, there are downsides too. And the inside of the car needs to be cleaned more, rattles, and well, lets just say consider where you park it, driving style, climate and all before buying. Be sure to use a roll bar and save your head!
    :shades: Loren
  • gslamsgslams Posts: 6
    I have test driven both the 05 v6 and the 04 gt and i love both the cars but I can't seem to make up my mind on which to buy, both are priced about the same
    05 v6 - $22 k , 04 gt - $20k , the delearship says it is new and they bought it and that is why it does not show up as new on the ford website. is it priced low due all the incentives ford offered for last year's model?? .
    The 05 sure does have killer looks but the 04 is a gt!!!. I don't think I can afford or more importantly wait indefinitley for the 05 gt!
  • gslamsgslams Posts: 6
    1) interesting, i noticed this problem when I was test driving the 04 gt recently. when I mentioned it to the sales guy, he was surprised by my observation. I was beginning to think that i had a learning curve on the v8.
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    Is that a base GT '04, never driven / registered? Offer them $19K for it. The $20K is not too bad I guess. There are some things to like about the new car. Some like the new interior. Will it looks like better material, I like the rounded dash better. While some like the new gauges, I see them obstructed by the wheel when trying to read them. Old ones look most functional. New seats are better, though the GT did have pretty good leather ones in the older model. Check the seat position too. I think the new one seems a lower position. Some people are having trouble getting gas into the new model car. Others had serious issues with the front end suspension. New car looks pretty good, but also looks like a replica car in some ways to the '68/'69 vintage. The '04 looks more modern. I like'em both, and really liked the '98 about the best. GT sounds better than the V6. New car has throttle-by-wire, so if you trust that, then it is OK. New car has the electric windows move up and down a half inch when open / close of the doors. Something to wear out, no doubt. New one will have better resale, or will it? It may. New one is the coolest to many and the new in thing -- this wears off soon. New one handles better. How much better? Remember the GT vs V6 is what you are comparing. Drive both and see.
    GT will cost more for insurance - could be a couple hundred. But GT = power. Let me know what ya decide on and what you find when really looking over both nose to tail.
    Loren