Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• kyleknickskyleknicks Posts: 433
    anyone had any experience with taking off the rear bumper of a mustang? i'm wondering if i need to remove all the trunk trim to get to the bolts that hold onto the rear bumper.... thanks
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Posts: 489
    Obviously I checked the tire pressure. The delivering dealer delivered it with 52 pounds of air in each tire and I reduced it to 32 psi which is what is required. The car rides smoothly on a smooth road -like the ones in Southern California where the car road testers live. It also rides fairly smoothly at 70 mph on an Interstate. The SLE has bigger tires than the SE and according to the dealer has a "performance suspension". On city streets and less than perfect rural roads at normal speeds (25-45) which is where I do my most driving (I have an '03 Deville for trips) there is a lot of shuddering and flexing/jiggling that is uncomfortable. It is kind of hard to explain but in domestic (GM/Ford/Chrysler) cars the shock absorbers seem to have some give in them when you go over a bump. The Toyota doesn't.The car looks funny -the design of the Mustang is much nicer looking but that is only in my opinion. Everybody in the United States and most likely the world except me loves anything built with a Toyota label especially the Solara convertible including the members of the Mustang forum. I'll stick with my Mustang. To me it feels like a normal car despite the fact that compared to the Toyota it has a solid rear axle and the suspension system is not anywhere as sophisticated.
    See my recent post about the Toyota ride. It is not all bad -just uncomfortable on the roads and at the speeds I normally drive. My dislike of this car has nothing to do with the build quality , looks (although the Mustang is nicer looking IMO), or the Lexus-like qualities which everyone is crazy about. I don't like convertible flexing and shuddering/jiggling. The Mustang doesn't do it. The Toyota did. So the Toyota went. Simple as that.
    The previous owner of my 2000 Mustang Convertible (V6) went to Wal-Mart I assume and put a set of Douglas Touring tires on it. The tires seem to be ok and the ride is ok but when I replace them I'd like to put the original equipment ones on. Can anyone tell me what brand and model of tire (like Firestone Affinity for example) was originally put on the 2000 V6 Convertible?
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    No offense meant with the "check the air pressure" comment. I made it because: a) dealers sometimes fail to adjust the tire pressures during dealer prep (as yours did) and b) few people check their own tire pressures.

I know of one individual in one of the GTO forums who drove his new GTO around for a few months with 60psi in the tires (and the shipping spacers still in the springs), damaging his car in the process. When I saw your initial post regarding the rock-hard suspension in your Solara (huh? a rough suspension in a Solara???), I remembered the GTO story.

Yes, the Solara convertible has a "fair" amount of chassis squirm. I think this has been noted in some of the reviews of the car. What consitutes a "normal" ride obviously varies between individuals (I'd probably get offended at what you think about my Celica GTS). That being said, if you are happy with your Mustang then that is all that matters. I think this just reinforces the notion that despite the reviews you read about ANY car (foreign or domestic), DRIVE THE THING before buying.

In your opinion, how does the body structure of your Mustang 'vert compare to the Solara 'vert?
    I wasn't offended. I probably have bought somewhere around 20 brand new cars in my lifetime and on none of them did I think to check the air pressure until I either got new tires or one looked low. I knew when I left the dealership that something was seriously wrong with the ride of the Toyota. It improved somewhat with 32 psi. I can't really compare body structures except that the Mustang feels like a normal domestic car. It doesn't ride like a Cadillac but nothing about the ride stands out or is annoying. It is a bit stiffer than my Malibu but the convertibles are beefed up to avoid or minimize flexing. I haven't experienced any flexing, shuddering or jiggling in the Mustang. The Toyota wasn't terrible by any means -as indicated by the enthusiastic owners on the Solara forum everybody loved it except one guy who admitted the ride was bad and bought a used Seville. What I'm looking forward to is a Cadillac CTS convertible which may be on the horizon. Unfortunately GM could sell them for $29.95 and people would still buy Toyotas.
    No I wouldn't have a Celica GTS -I had a Celica back in '82 for a couple of years (turned it in on the big Audi) but Celica owners would love the Solara at least on a smooth road. I certainly agree with the "drive it first" recommendation. Obviously there were no convertibles to drive anywhere near here but I could have driven 6.5 hours to Ft. Worth and driven one. It retrospect I should have.
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    So what gas mileage are you getting with that V6 Stang?

Loren
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    Well the three car mentioned are different beasts. I test drove a Celica GT, and it is impressive for handling. It is a bit high strung, so maybe one would prefer the more lay back V6 of the Solara or Mustang for a daily driver or longer trips. I like the Celica or Mustang over the more luxury class Solara, with its different if not strange styling. I would not get the GTS Celica with the lift bolts which could possibly break and the harder to live with 6 sp. with pretty close gates. The last of the Celicas was truly a drivers car. It is FWD, but can keep up with most all the RWD coupes out there. It will out handle the Mustang. As an everyday car, that looks sporty, both Mustang and Celica seem like a good choice. The Celica is a little less in power, but taken through the gears, really fun. The GTS at high RPM is going to be quick, but the revs have to be pretty high. The Mustang is a five star in crash tests and the Celica is a four star rating. A pretty high four star. Most numbers look pretty good. And for gas mileage Celica is a much better average between in town and freeway. This is not to say Mustangs have the worse mileage in the world. The '94 - '96 Stangs V6 can blow headers, so avoid those years. The 5.o ( 4.9 ) and the 3.8 or 3.9 engine should be pretty good with the afore mentioned years in 3.8. - Loren
    The '82 Celica GT I owned was perfectly fine. I had an automatic on it and especially liked the stereo which was better than any stereo I've experienced in any car since for some reason. I had to haul some carpool riders so I got the coupe but would have much preferred the hatchback which looked much better. I didn't like the flexing and stiff ride in the '06 Solara SLE convertible but I'm sure the coupe is better -probably the base coupe with smaller tires. The present Celica is much better looking than the Solara. How it drives is a question but it is being promoted to young people as evidenced by the last brochure/comic book.
    I don't know. I have a friend with one and he got 32 on some long distance highway trips. I am still on my first tank. I'll check when I fill up next time and start keeping a record. I assume in town somewhere around 20-22. It is similar to my Malibu.
    Loren - I think if I were you I'd look at a 1999-2004. There doesn't seem to be a lot of price differential between 2000 and 2004 (3 or 4 thousand at the most). I've seen 2004 convertibles (V6) for around 15-16k. with under 30k miles. I'd get the latest model you can afford. I certainly like my 2000 but should have shopped around and gotten a newer model. It wouldn't have cost much more. There is virtually no external difference between the 1999 and 2004 -hard to tell them apart.
  • stkntrafficstkntraffic Posts: 172
    My 98 GT is the best car I've ever owned. It has 49K miles, and is absolutely cherry. I've never had any problems with it, except for a noise coming from the suspension.

When I hit an imperfection in the road, I sometimes hear a "ringing" sound from the suspension, almost like loose change. It doesn't happen all the time, but I'm going crazy trying to pinpoint it.

Has anyone else had this problem?
  • for 2001 bullitt- anyone know?
  • dan1dan1 Posts: 76
    Ford produced around 5500 of them mines # 2605. There were around 1000 black, 700+ True Blue and the rest were Dark Highland Green like mine.
    i'm looking into getting a paint job for my mustang... and saw this: Integrated clear coat

what is this? is this the normal clear coat?
    can someone help me out by looking under their hood of their 99 to 2004 mustang? i had crashed my mustang and my headlites popped out... i bought new aftermarket headlites, but for some reason, they didn't come with some sort of brace or brackets that hold the lites in place...

now, i dont know what they're suppose to look like and the ford dealership wasn't sure exactly which part i need. Does anyone know or can look under their hood.. thanks!
  • rblelandrbleland Posts: 312
    Just to further elaborate, the exact Bullitt numbers were:
    Total - 5582
    of which: 3041 were DHG, 1818 were Black (Ebony), and 723 were True Blue.
  • dan1dan1 Posts: 76
    I would be interested to know where you got the numbers from I have never been able to pin them down!
  • rblelandrbleland Posts: 312
    Dan1 - I know you are aware of IMBOC from previous posts of yours. I don't think Edmunds allows a direct reference, but go to IMBOC and search around or use the related links. The exact numbers are there. I also have them for Canada only. As I am in BC (regardless of the US flag which keeps coming up on my profile), mine is #2873 and is one of 458 in Canada, of which 338 (IIRC) are DHG.
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 974
    Kyleknicks, you might also want to ask the folks in the Paint & Body Maintenance & Repair Forum.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.