Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• I have a chance to buy a 2004 mustang ge coupe for 20,800. I got the quote but I had to check with my insurance company since its an 8 cylinder vehicle. I am 50 sho i am hoping they don't fleece me on insurance. Anybody comment on the 2004 and that price. the cars two years old now but I still love the old mustang looks

please comment
  • i just love the way the 99 to 2004 stangs look.. the styling to me is exactly what a modern mustang should be... something that invokes the image of MUSCLE CAR!!

now.. on the other hand.. the messed up ratio of weight in front makes the car fishtail in wet or snow conditions.... thats unacceptable...

seems to me that the new mustangs have a better weight ratio..
  • stangponystangpony Posts: 1
    Hi, Im planning on getting a 95 mustang convertible. There is a little slit in the convertible top tho, i just wanted some advice on the best way to fix this minor problem.
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    I would think around $18,500 or so on a used GT for the '04 makes more sense. Some new '04 sold around $21K and under. AAA insurance may be one possible company to look at for the Mustang. I think they are pretty fair for performance cars if the driver is old enough. As for the other person looking for a car, maybe a search of the local ads for cars and just try to size-up the person you are buying the car from. Look for local Mustang clubs and see if a member is selling their prized car. They won't be beating up their Stangs. Expect them to come down $500 to $1000 on private buy prices, and sometimes more with a dealer, if that is the way you decide to go. Be sure the dealership is highly rated amongst people in your town.
    Loren
    A post pretty much reflects my feelings on the older model vs. the new. I think the retro thing just about got too carried away. Almost became a replica car of 1968/69 model year. I too liked the 1994-98 for its modern rendition of the early model. It looks fresh, is not too large and heavy looking, and just looks new and smooth. The 1999 year did add some quality to performance, so that is an added value. The flat sides are the one distraction though to an otherwise neat new look. Then came the '05, which does look good. It looks good, but perhaps too much like what I already saw in a showroom as a kid, a few years back. Now GM could redo the 1967-69 Camaro, and have what I see as an ever more beautiful body. And Dodge could make the Challenger again. We all must shake our heads in wonder as to where they are going with the current Charger - just all too sad :cry: Consider the Malibu SS for 1968, and how that looked. Make a " replica car " of that one and it would sell. I am not saying that I would not consider buying the 2005 Stang, and that it is not improved in overall performance, it is just something which leaves me with mixed feelings. When I saw a Dodge Stealth in the showroom in 1990, I knew it was calling to me, and it was a fresh design. As for Mustangs, I think the best of 1990-2004 looks wise goes to '98 and with more HP, a tighter body, and traction control, the '99 on is one to really consider. From a technology aspect, without independent rear suspension and with too much front weight bias, non of the Stangs is actually perfect. They are mainly for fun, a little rough around the edges compared to Japanese makes, but with some American car spirit / soul about them. I see that the new Stang for '05 is gaining a little size. This seems to be the trend over the decade of so, of more weight and size. We don't need that - killed sales before when that happened. No, I realize it is far from huge, but it is gaining ever model change, so look out!
    Loren
  • john_324john_324 Posts: 974
    Loren, I worry about the same thing. The Mustang's getting large again, just like it did back in the early to mid-1970s. And we all remember what happened after that... ;)

My '02 seemed pretty large compared to a Fox Body at the time I got it, or even compared to the 94-98 car. But next to an '05, it seems quite svelte.
  • dan1dan1 Posts: 76
    Wannastang1, you might try looking for a used Bullitt GT they came in Dark Highland Green, True Blue, and Black and were only made in 2001. You may pay a little more for one but they were very limited production and most people that own them take better care and keep the miles low. Just a thought.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Here in NJ at the NADE auction in Bordentown, Mustangs are going way over book value often 2,000 over book value.

that $20.5k is probably the current market price.

Mark
  • frisconickfrisconick Posts: 1,275
    Best car I ever owned!!! :P
  • jessie945jessie945 Posts: 1
    Just yesterday I unhooked my neg battery to change my air filter. Upon rehooking my car wouldn't turn over. I have a 98 mustang convertible w/ TRW transmitter. I think that my anti theft device has locked on and I don't know how to reset it. The fuel pump works in on but wont stay on and start the car. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.
  • I just drove a 2004 GT V - 8 260 hoursepower at my local dealer. Its a leftover model and the dealer was anxious to get rid of it. The problem was that the car was sluggish. I really had to push down on the accelerator. Once it got to 3rd gear it was fine and ran well. But frankly the acceleration was disappointing.

After the test drive I told the salesman about the problem. He said the car been sitting on the lot for about 2 years and its to be expected that the acceleration would lag. He didn't offer to check out the car himself. Very lazy indeed. I got suspicious so I backed off on making an offer,

I don't know. Has anyone seen this before. A V -8 that drove like a medium 6 on acceleration. the car sounded fine but the acceleration just wasn't there. I like the car and the price is good $19,000. Any comments

Also, I noted that the car only had 25 miles on it. I thought this was strange for a 2004 model to only have 25 miles. Could it have been in the shop? the Salesman didn't even offer to check it out.
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 974
    Welcome to the Forums, jessie945! A good place to ask this question is in the Got a Quick, Technical Question? discussion in our Maintenance & Repair Forum. One of the experts there is likely to have an answer for you. Good luck!

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

the '69 Stang 390 was fast and big. :P
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Posts: 489
    I drove a new Montego the other day. When you pushed down on the accelerator for a second the car felt like it was in neutral than started accelerating. The salesman said that it had been sitting and was cold. I walked and I'd recommend that you do the same. There are literally thousands of 2004's around with low mileage -under 10k - and this one sounds like a lemon to me. Wonder why it has been sitting there for two years? Wonder why the dealer didn't get a tech to look at it? I'd look for another dealer and definately another car.
    There are some cars you have to get to a certain rpm before they accelerate, really wierd sensation, even dangerous IMHO. :mad:
  • Goodyear Eagle GA 16"
    " drove a new Montego the other day. When you pushed down on the accelerator for a second the car felt like it was in neutral than started accelerating. The salesman said that it had been sitting and was cold. I walked and I'd recommend that you do the same. There are literally thousands of 2004's around with low mileage -under 10k - and this one sounds like a lemon to me. Wonder why it has been sitting there for two years? Wonder why the dealer didn't get a tech to look at it? I'd look for another dealer and definitely another car. "

-end quote-

The Montego has throttle-by-wire, so that may account for the hesitation on acceleration. If they get it wrong, and many a car seem to have it wrong, you get a lag. It is not just US makes that have problems. I would prefer to not mess with throttle-by-wire and electronic steering assist. As for the 2004 Mustang, it does not have throttle-by-wire. The new one does. I don't know what is wrong with the car on the lot, but like the other posting person said, walk away if it is not running good. Why start out on the wrong foot?

Loren
    The tires on my car are 15" - I have the V6 2000 convertible (205 65R 15) Were the 15s still Eagle GA's?
    The new Malibu has electric steering and I didn't notice any problem. The car steered fine. I didn't even know that it had electric steering until I read the brochure later. The throttle by wire though on the Montego was a strange experience.
    I have a 2000 V6 convertible. I'm trying to find out what the original equipment tires were on this car. Size is 205 65R 15. Were they Eagle GA's on the V6 models? I have Douglas tires that the original owner put on and want to replace them with the original brand and model of tires. Does anyone remember?