Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• that was a post from 2002 that sirgallant replied to.... talk about delay reaction..
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    Weeeelll.......

The original poster was asking a question and ended his post with "and I await your response".

I guess sirgallant just figured the original poster had waited long enough. :)
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Those time warps can kill ya......
  • I Have a 2004 Mustang convertible with 6 and 5 speed manual. The car is great except for drieability problems. THe engine hangs at the rpm that i am shifting at. In addition the car continues down the road at the same speed without touching the accelerator or the cruise control on. Anyone know of a solution. PS I have had the dealer look at this but they claim that all settings are within spec.

Thanks Medontemike
  • I have a 2004 Mustang convertible with 6 and 5 speed manual. The car is great except for drieability problems. THe engine hangs at the rpm that i am shifting at. In addition the car continues down the road at the same speed without touching the accelerator or the cruise control on. Anyone know of a solution. PS I have had the dealer look at this but they claim that all settings are within spec.

Thanks Medontemike
  • rpsrps Posts: 4
    be nice, this is my first post. i have a '00gt with white conv top. bought car in dec 04. how do you keep the top clean. raggtopp doesn't work very well. anyone have any home made solutions or another market brand that does work?
  • I made the mistake last spring of ordering a 2006 Solara Convertible. Rode like a truck -you felt every pebble in the road except when you were diriving it on the highway. Really stiff. Convertible flex was awful -whole car shook. Everybody loves it though - it is a Toyota. I dumped the car after 352 miles . I'm sure that I'm the only person in the world who didn't like it. It just felt wierd compared to my GM cars. Lost a couple of thousand dollars but it was better than driving that piece of crap for three or four years. Interior was beautiful but the car just wasn't smooth. I already have a, '03 Deville for the road and a Malibu (daily driver) and Avalanche (wife's real estate car) so I looked around for a fun car and bought a 2000 Mustang V6 convertible with 42,000 miles. Performance Red! I detailed it and even got second place in the Lubbock Mustang Club show in Lubbock last month. So far it is great. No convertible flex I can notice. Rear end feels funny -I'm used to front wheel drive GM cars. My '01 Malibu rides like a Cadillac compared to the Mustang but the Mustang is really fun to drive and feels like a sports car. I'll probably sell it in a couple of years and get an '06 but I've driven the '05 and there really isn't a light year worth of difference between my '01 and the '05. It is a little smoother and feels tighter but it was new. I'm sorry that I went for so many years without purchasing a Mustang. I'm really enjoying mine.
  • I've used Raggtop on my '01 convertible with a black top. The top looks great after an application. I would certainly scrub the top with whatever Ford recommends, but after it is clean, the Raggtop final coat should make it look nice. Perhaps Ford sells a top cleaner.
  • Cost/Benefit analysis is common to all industries. I've developed and managed occupational safety programs and when you develop and promulgate safety standards you have to be realistic and consider how you can protect the most people for a reasonable cost. Any car or piece of machinery can be made absolutely safe but as was pointed out it would cost a fortune. Instead of making the piece of machinery or car absolutely safe you prescribe personal protective equipment, guards, seat belts, air bags, and so on. You can therefore keep the cost down but the operator has a degree of responsibility for his own safety which is certainly justifiable.
  • I live in Arizona and purchased a leftover 2004 Mustang convertible in May of 2005. It has an automatic transmission; it does not have ABS nor traction control. It has the 6 cylinder engine. I am relocating to NJ in October. NJ has rough winters with lots of snow. I like this car a great deal and would like to take it back with me to NJ. If I sell it now, I'm facing a big depreciation hit. Once back in NJ, it would be my wife's daily driver. I'm worried that this car will be virtually undrivable in the snow, and therefore not very safe. Anyone have experiences with this car in this type of snowy climate? Any suggestions? Can ABS be added? Any terrific snow tires that would make this car roadworthy in the snow? Much obliged for any advice.
  • rpsrps Posts: 4
    your blk top won't show dirt like white will. it has imbedded dirt that raggtopp won't get out. let it set 10-20 mins,still there
  • I have no axe to grind here as I drive a Toyota Highlander as a daily driver, and have an '01 Mustang Bullitt for "fun"; nor can it change anything as you have already got rid of your '06 Solara Convert. - but I'm just wondering if maybe the dealer delivered your Solara to you with overinflated tires (my HL came with over 40 lbs in each and they should be about 32)?? This often happens and usually results in a very rough ride. Since you had it only 352 miles, you "could" have lost a bunch of money over not checking the tire pressure? Usually Solara's have a very comfortable ride - my wife has had a Solara SLE V6 coupe since late '99 and it rides just fine.
    Welcome to the club, dispencer! Nice to see you over here.

You have the singular distinction of being the only American not to love his Toyota..... You're a brave soul to admit it. When do you start therapy?
  • i hate to be the bearer of bad news.. but our car.. mine's a 99 V6 mustang convertible, without the traction control also... and i think any mustang.. are horrible in snow.. i think you would have a better chance if its a manual and your wife is a skilled driver..

just to give u an example.. this past jan, i was driving from NY to CT.. 2 hour drive.. and was caught when it started to snow.. i'm talking very little snow on the highway, but it was enough to make the road very slippery.. i lost traction and the rear end started to fishtail.. and i did a 360 from the far left lane all the way to the right across 3 lanes and crashed.. luckily there were no cars around me ... i had to replace front bumper, hood, rear bumper, left fender, roof, side skirt and spoiler..

but on the other hand, i've heard about people living in big cities.. who have a very short commute to work on local streets .. and have no problem at all after putting on snow tires and putting a 100pound bag of sand in the trunk... so it depends on what kinda commute your wife has... i wouldnt chance it though.. wives are harder to replace if you like yours.. =)

anyone have snow experiences to share??
    Unfortunately, just like yours........
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    Best snowmobile could be a Subaru Legacy. Snow sounds like a really awful thing to contend with. The AWD Subaru should offer the most control. If I ever suffer with driving in snow, it will be time to consider the Subaru line. And they are no longer strange looking -- oops, I mean to say the Legacy is not.

I have driven in light snow, and heavy rain with the RWD cars without any trouble, but never the heavier snow.

Loren
  • the issue with the mustangs .. they're front heavy... there's absoluately no weight on the rear wheels so when it starts to spin and there's no traction, the rear end just goes all over the place... not good if you're trying to go in a straight line such as on the hiway..

the newer stangs are more evenly weight distributed...
  • I have a tough time believing what is said when I read the following:

" there's absoluately no weight on the rear wheels"
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    You could always get a Newfoundland dog as a pet, and put him in the back seat.
    Adds required rear weight for traction. :D I think no weight on rear wheels is only
    achieved when jabbing the brakes hard enough to raise the rear end. That would indeed
    not be a pretty sight. Hummm, maybe a good drifter car ;) Now there is sport which the tire companies love :)

Yes, 2005 Stangs have better weight distribution.

Is it my imagination that the door sill height is once again a little higher than last year?
    Are the doors growing, or am I seeing things?
  • fdthirdfdthird Posts: 352
    I've got a 2000 Mustang V/6 Convert with traction control and live on Long Island. To be honest with you, it is not a great car in the snow, even with the traction control on. I'm running a set of Toyo all weather tires so I would guess that with a set of good winter tires it might be better, but honestly, I can break the back end lose in the rain.

Drove home from the train station one winter storm last December and honestly had to idle away from most stops or I could not get any traction.

Winter tires and trunk weight may help some...but we have gotten spoiled with front wheel drive. At one point, we all drove rear wheel drive in the snow! ;)