Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti G35 Care and Maintenance

kd6aw1kd6aw1 Posts: 116
edited August 11 in Infiniti
We changed to mobil 1 5W30 at 1,000 miles on the car. It seemed to run smoother right away. Have used it in every vehicle for years and have had wonderful luck. Will change every 3,750 miles and I am sure that it will be well worth the slight extra cost as it has been in the past. After all this is our baby and nothing is too good for her. No I don't work for Mobil.

Paul and Joan
El Cajon, California

Comments

• mdurenmduren Posts: 5
    I plan to move at 1,000 miles as well. Did you change the filter at that point or just the oil?
  • kd6aw1kd6aw1 Posts: 116
    Had the filter and oil changed at the same time by Infiniti in San Diego. Bought the Mobil 1 5W30 at Walmart in a five quart container for $18.08.

Paul
  • louish1louish1 Posts: 2
    I would like to replace the small oil filter with the largest spin on filter that matches the base of the original filter. Does anyone know if this is possible and is there a recommended substitute? It seems a shame to use Mobil 1 oil with a tiny filter.
  • faenorfaenor Posts: 99
    Are there any drawbacks to synthetic oils at all besides the higher price? (which is not really an issue for me if it is better for the engine)

I don't have that much data on synthetics, but I do remember vaguely hearing that it did have certain drawbacks (I might be mistaken) If it is the general concensus and historical data shows it is better in all cases and better protection, then I will definitely go that route...

I plan on keeping this car for a LONG time :)

Faenor
  • kd6aw1kd6aw1 Posts: 116
    All pluses and no negatives, all jet engines use synthetics, if you wish to keep your car for a long time you should use Mobil 1 which unlike some of the others is 100% synthetic. Wouldn't use anything else in my car.

Paul
    I guess the negatives I heard in the past must all have had to do with price or something, or perhaps avoiding lesser synthetic brands that were'nt as you say, 100% synth...

Thanks again! I think I will do a little manual labor and put the Mobil 1 in myself after I get it back from the dealer where its getting its first scheduled maintenance/oil change/and eliminating a squeak in the rear deck...

It sometimes baffles me how people can spend 10's of thousands of dollars on a car and then say "Look at that! that better oil is 1 dollar a quart more than the other brand! I'm getting the cheaper one!" *laughing*

Thanks again!

David
  • ggbogoggbogo Posts: 9
    I also prefer to change oil myself (this way you know what's going in). How are you doing re. warranty. Manual clearly indicate about maintenance and warranty. Are you keeping receipts for filter and oil? But that's does not really indicate time interval or oil was changed on this car. Just looking for yours suggestions.
    Thanks. Enjoy the ride!
    As for me, I plan on keeping all receipts and records for every single thing done on the car... It costs about 50 dollars to have Infiniti change the oil and since:

1. its right on my way to work
    2. they are REALLY pleasant to deal with
    3. I get to drive another car around for a while :)

I will just let Infiniti do the oil and all the maintenance... I believe they place entries into your maint log book too when they do anything, and if there was some warranty dispute somewhere down the line, I think it would be tremendous ammunition on your side if they had done everything on schedule and all the work was done there by Infiniti mechanics.

This isn't to say that there aren't better mechanics to be had elsewhere, or that doing the job yourself would get the job done better, but it just might make them balk less if, heaven forbid, there was something really major (expensive) that had to be done to a warrantied car...

Faenor
  • To ALL INFINITI owners,

I've owned 3 infiniti's, and my maintenance person actually recommends I do the simple stuff to save cash. I save all oil/filter receipts, and date them. Log my book, and always call her after I perform any scheduled maintenance. If I do a 15/30/45K mile service at a more economical service dept, I just fax her my receipt and she makes the computer entry for warranty purposes. I've never had a problem!

Recommend if you enjoy saving more then a few bucks with simple maintenance...go for it, and talk w/ your service dept rep. Take care and enjoy your new G35! :-)
    As for me, I plan on keeping all receipts and records for every single thing done on the car... It costs about 50 dollars to have Infiniti change the oil and since:

1. its right on my way to work
    2. they are REALLY pleasant to deal with
    3. I get to drive another car around for a while :)

I will just let Infiniti do the oil and all the maintenance... I believe they place entries into your maint log book too when they do anything, and if there was some warranty dispute somewhere down the line, I think it would be tremendous ammunition on your side if they had done everything on schedule and all the work was done there by Infiniti mechanics.

This isn't to say that there aren't better mechanics to be had elsewhere, or that doing the job yourself would get the job done better, but it just might make them balk less if, heaven forbid, there was something really major (expensive) that had to be done to a warrantied car...

Faenor
  • dmmattixdmmattix Posts: 77
    Someone posted that they just fax the receipts to their service advisor and they enter the service into the computer so you are up to date with Infiniti. Otherwise they keep hounding you with letters about maintenance that is overdue. Plus it saves them the postage.

I am going to check with my advisor about them doing the service with me providing the oil. I am getting lazy in my advancing years plus having to keep the old oil and then taking to recycle it. It is getting to be a pain.

Mike
  • stsurbrookstsurbrook Posts: 285
    In another forum here in the Town Hall, I posted this link, but thought everyone might be interested in it:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

He has a lot of good information. Even some VERY interesting links with information about Mobil 1 (it actually ISN'T 100% synthetic as you or I would classify it).

I sent him an e-mail tonight with some Infiniti-specific questions and I'm waiting for a reply.

Scott

Scott

• but i will check back here and see if i can help explain anything about oil that you may have a question on.

bob

ps, I have added a new page that I believe is very important about oil that most people are not aware of and encourage you to look at it. There is also some short video clips (IE browsers only) that helps explain some of the points explained.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/oilshear.htm

I have read the oil shear page. I just checked my wife's e-mail and saw your reply. I will digest it and reply.

Thanks for the quick response!

Scott
  • purwinpurwin Posts: 18
    Has anybody changed there own oil yet? If so, how did you get to the oil filter?
  • purwinpurwin Posts: 18
    The owners manual recommends two different oil filters. A 15208 65F00 and a 15208 31U00. Does anyone know the differences?
  • gregj777gregj777 Posts: 67
    QUOTE:(from #9 above)"I believe they place entries into your maint log book too when they do anything..."

It will probably vary from dealer to dealer, but my sales agent told me that their service department would not pull your log book out of the glove box and stamp it, that if you wanted to have that done you had to present it to them at the time you dropped off the vehicle. That's also the way my Volkswagen dealer was. I'm going to have them do it, better to have as many records as possible like faenor says.
  • dmmattixdmmattix Posts: 77
    they also put the entry in the Infiniti computer and therefore it is available even if you get you log book stolen/lost/etc. I can call my service department up and they can pull up when I was last in, for what, and therefore determine when I need to come in again. That is the reason you get the letters in the mail reminding you that you probably should be bringing your car in for service.

One guy posted he just faxes his receipts to his service rep when he does his own oil change and the rep enters it into the computer so he won't get the mail reminders.
  • jvalentyjvalenty Posts: 41
    Anybody experiment with different octane ratings? I broke one of my two cardinal rules: Never buy a car that uses other than regular gas or gets less than 20 mpg. I am particularly interested to know if anyone has successfully tried mid grade octane in their G35. In San Diego, we get gouged for gas @ 1.55 for reg, 1.65 for mid and 1.75 for prem.
  • sjredsjred Posts: 18
    jvalenty - Yes, I have been testing mid-grade for the last couple of tanks (2500 total miles now) without any noticeable affects. I know some people swear by the highest octane available, but I drive 25k miles annually (mostly freeway here in Orange County, CA) and my 220k total miles in my 2 previous Maximas ('95 & '98) were all on regular unleaded without any adverse effects.

Off course the 3.5L VQ in the G35 is much higher performance than the 3.0 VQ motors (which also recommended premium fuel) of the Maximas, so I'll switch back to premium at the first sign of pinging.

Stacey
  • jvalentyjvalenty Posts: 41
    Thanks for the response. I'm not a pedal pusher. I typically milk my mileage and always use cruise control. I was beginning to think I was the only one interested in MPG or Octane. What kind of mileage are you getting?
  • cpranger22cpranger22 Posts: 21
    I too am interrested in fuel economy mostly because I don't like going to the gas station every 300 miles. I'm hoping fuel economy will improve once the engine is broken in and I get tired of showing off. ------
    I was told you shouldn't have a problem going to a lower octane as long as the G35 doesn't have a knocking sensor. Anybody know if the G35 has one?
  • clothcloth Posts: 52
    Most new cars have a knock sensor, G35 included, that will retard the timing if knocking is detected. So using a low octane gas is fine, but the trade off will be less performance, and lower gas mileage.
  • sjredsjred Posts: 18
    I've been averaging 20-21 mpg so far, with my wife driving easy and myself driving harder and making shorter trips (any excuse to take it out will do). The same driving in my 2 Maximas averaged 24 mpg over 220,000 miles. Nothing to brag about, but the engine is still young and the extra performance is worth the extra cost!

Stacey
  • Being big powerful discs all 4 corners, the wheels tend to get dirty pretty quickly. Any effective wheel care product or brake dust repelling agent that anyone care to recommand?
  • gregj777gregj777 Posts: 67
    I have used the Porsche stuff and I just bought some Sonus. The ads say just spray it on blah blah blah and spray it off, all's done. No way. If you want to pay $7-$15 for something to make cleaning the wheels a LITTLE easier (it does loosen the stuff up some but you still have to get down and dirty) then go for it. Otherwise it's like throwing money out the window. Stick with muscle and sweat. Working hard to keep it clean is half the fun!
  • pcoatespcoates Posts: 15
    Like many of my fellow G35 owners I got tired of lacerating my fingers on the brake system clip.
    To save my hide I hot glued a couple of 3x5 kitchen sponges to the end of a paint stir stick. It works pretty good at getting the brake dust and road crud off the inside of the wheel when used with a "reasonably" priced wheel cleaner and doesn't damage the wheel.
  • zbest855zbest855 Posts: 13
    The lower trim under the doors is some sort of plastic.
    What kind of product would be good to put on there so wax doesn't
    turn it white over time?
  • Got a new G on order - Wondering how easy it is to change oil yourself on this car - Always have done it myself but with some of these new cars it is like trying to thread a needle with a truck
    There was a recent post on the main G35 board in which someone commented that, after removing the "G35" cover under the hood, the oil filter was right there.

However, I don't know about the oil drain. It might be under the car or be like a M-B and use a pump through the dip stick tube??

Scott
This discussion has been closed.