Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti G35 Care and Maintenance

Comments

• Today my dash lit up with VSD Off and Slip my whole ride into work, and the brake light flashed occasionally. The dealer says it is probably my front brakes - does this sound right?

Are there any known issues pertaining to what I am seeing or the front brakes in general?

I purchased the car from a dealer in August - it has 29k miles. Should brakes be something I am expecting about now?

Thanks for any posts!
  • scottm123scottm123 Posts: 1,501
    In an 05 G35x??? LOL

Are you kidding?!?

Enlightenment
  • disappointing... :( don't appreciate the lol. any recommendations for how to approach this with the dealer?
    The LOL was not aimed at your situation and I do apologize.

I'm just amazed at how people go and buy cars with little to no research first.
    The 05 G35x is absolutely PLAGUED with brake issues and is an extremely well known issue.

I wish you stopped by here in July before buying in August... many would have given you the heads up.

When the cars were under warranty, the dealer was pretty good about fixing these issues.
    Once out of warranty, especially with a used car, it's highly unlikely they'll do much for you.
    With 27,000 miles, the car should still be under warranty.
    Make sure they know that you are well aware of the known brake issues and you want this corrected for FREE.
    Also explain that you have very little miles added since purchasing.
    If worded correctly, you can put them on the spot for selling you a car with unsafe, unfit brakes.

If they'll willing to work with you, this brake job may be free, or at least discounted.
    I'd be looking for all new parts for the next brake job though... the factory setup stinks.

My #1 concern before buying the 07 was brakes.
    #2 was Bluetooth, as the pre-07 models had many complaining owners in that dept as well.
    I did a lot of research and asking around before I took the plunge.

Go back and complain.
    Be polite and state your case.
    This car is new to you, has very little miles since you bought it and the brakes are gone.
    Use words like "unsafe", "warranty", and "known issue" while explaining that this should have been caught during their pre-sale safety inspection.
    They should help you.

Good luck and keep us posted.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Posts: 749
    I think it can be the brake. I used to have an '05 coupe. I needed to have some body work done and they needed to disconnect the battery. After they re-connected the battery, the SLIP light was on (car was kind of slippery when the light was on). I just have it reset by the dealer.

I don't think you get the extended warranty on brakes on '05. It's only for '03 and '04.

I don't have any major brake issues w/ my '05. I just needed to have it resurfaced once when I traded it in w/ around 17K miles.
    But... the 05x (keyword being "x") was the worst hit with the whole brake thing.
    The 05 brakes are a real issue.

There were talks of a class action law suit for this but I can no longer find the threads on it, or any other info.
    I have no idea how it turned out, or if it ever went anywhere.
  • I lease a g35 back in July and just came up on 4k miles. I know they have 2 schedules for required maintenance and I could argue that I belong in the schedule 2 (less frequent) program.

Does Infiniti care which one you choose? Does it affect your lease/warranty if you chose to do schedule 2 instead of schedule 1?

I just want to make sure I don't get screwed at the end of my lease at 30k miles so if anybody has info on this I would appreciate it.

Thanks
  • wolewole Posts: 2
    LA would be preferred - any help would be appreciated.
  • Guys - I drove the car into the dealers for a good old battery change and the dealer did an inspection to reveal that the compression rod bushings are worn. Apparently they cost $335 and $130 to mount back and align the tires.

I have never heard of this before. Is this a real problem? What's the impact of such a problem and do I need to spend all this money at the dealer or do I have a more economical solution available to me that I dont know of? I just replaced my tires btw...
  • srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    Probably, depending on how many miles are on your car.

These are heavy rubber bushings through which a rod is threaded. Like all rubber suspension parts, the rubber deteriorates and wears over time, eventually developing cracks or tearing completely.
  • Thanks.. I got 78K miles on my car.

Would you be able to comment if this sounds like a reasonable price?

Thanks
    You're probably stuck with the price of the part since that probably has to come from Infiniti.

$130 labor is only 2 hours, which sounds dirt cheap to me, especially if that includes an alignment.
  • I went to everyrythingg35.com and searched for these bushings and they are like $64. That's so much cheaper..

Why is the alignment needed? Is this the same as wheel alignment and balancing? I have these free from Costco. Maybe I can do that there after they mount the wheels or am I just being too optimistic?
    I assume it's a wheel alignment. Almost anytime you touch/remove/replace a suspension component in the front end, you have probably changed the alignment and it needs to be brought back into spec.

Sure, you could have the wheel alignment done anywhere. I do not know if G35's have any peculiarities that would require the alignment be done by an infiniti dealer or not.
  • rsaulrsaul Posts: 28
    So, took my 2008G35xS for a little spin over lunch for no more than 10 minutes of harder driving (revs never got above 5500 in DS mode) and took some decent turns (VDC never kicked in nor tire squeel) and was a bit harder on the brakes than normal, but nothing overly excessive...so, pull into the garage at work, open the door of the G, and get a very bad wiff a burnt plastic smell. Kneeled by the wheels and didn't smell like it was coming from the brakes, but smelled like it was coming from underneath the hood. Anything to worry about or just the engine compartment getting more hot than usual?
  • paulo6paulo6 Posts: 93
    I have the exact same model as yours (08 GxS)..with 12K miles on it by now. So I started driving it hard once in a while and I get the same smell when I pull into my garage. Once I get out of the car I smell it, it actually feels good in a wierd way ;) Never thought of it as an issue, just normal and the car continues to drive fine. Took it for 3rd service 2 weeks ago, and everything looked fine.
  • rsaulrsaul Posts: 28
    Terrific. Thanks. I'll sleep a little better tonight knowing that baby is ok. I need to get the oil changed in a week or so, so will have them give it the once over anyway. I have almost 17K miles
  • marty325marty325 Posts: 1
    I just spent $240.00 for each (left and right) total $480.00, plus parts $37.68, plus alignment $109.95 to replace the compression rod bushings on my 2004 G 35. I used my "trusty" dealer. Feels like I got ripped off. Did I pay too much?
  • If you push your car to the higher RPM band and hold the gear to the 6200 end of manual shifting, and are waiting to hear the ping, it's too late. I do not drive my G for an everyday driver but when i do drive it, I DRIVE IT. If i was you, put the recommended higher octane in the vehicle and enjoy the ride. A few cents a gallon is not worth the non performance. :shades:
  • :shades: I agree. If that is all they are going to charge, jump on it and do not ask to many questions about it. See if they will install performance Neoprene bushings for you instead of the OEM, they will last 4 times as long and will give you a better ride. That will be the way I go, when mine need to be replaced. :shades: