Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Refreshes, Powers Up Civic Coupe for 2014, Shows Modded CR-Z Hybrid

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Honda

imageHonda Refreshes, Powers Up Civic Coupe for 2014, Shows Modded CR-Z Hybrid

Honda is freshening the look of the 2014 Civic Coupe, also adding a little more power and a little tighter suspension for the sporty Civic Si models, while a souped-up CR-Z hybrid hits the SEMA aftermarket show.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    Has more of a computer mouse shape to me, but not in a bad way--very aero looking. Does a Civic really need 18" rims--I wonder how a stiffer set up Si on larger rims will feel like on average or bad roads. Overall, a lot to look forward to. The coupe should be sportier lookingthan the sedan, and this goes a long way from what the 2012 looked like!
  • banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    The question is why would anyone prefer the SI over the FR-S?
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    The 18's would only help if the tires are wider. For the previous gen Si, the 17's had the same diameter (215mm) as the 18's, so the 18's were only there to ruin the ride. Compared to the competition the car is still not very sexy since it lost its 8500 rpm fuel cutoff, but at least now it's a bit more competitive and it's well priced for what you get. Hopefully the car gets a better engine for the next generation.
  • banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    Last time I was in the market for a car, Honda dealers were looking for a $1 to $1.5k on top of MSRP 'cause SI's are "limited production cars". I'm so happy the FR-S is ruining their party...
    @banhugh: They wouldn't (for the Coupe). The sedan is still a good choice if you're carrying family and don't want to pony up for the Focus ST or GTI.
  • stineystiney Member Posts: 28
    Competent, but not exciting. I guess that's Honda's current problem in a nutshell. Honda make a fine product, but they used to make a compelling product. The Accord sedan is excellent in the "old Honda" way. maybe the NextGen Civic will be too.
  • ed341ed341 Member Posts: 0
    A supercharged hybrid engine with 190hp..exactly what the CRZ should have had since day 1.
  • dfelix70dfelix70 Member Posts: 143
    @banhugh, several reasons. First, the FR-S/BRZ were the worst-performing models for their respective brands in the recent JD Power reliability survey. Civic performed well. Second, in wet/snow, you would go nowhere in the twins whereas at least the Civ
  • sjw91_sjw91_ Member Posts: 19
    190 hp in the CRZ would be great, if it didn't still have all the heavy hybrid parts.
  • shepskishepski Member Posts: 45
    Well, the good news is that it can't POSSIBLY be uglier in the flesh than it is in pics.
  • snaab92snaab92 Member Posts: 8
    The Si gets another 5 hp? Get your act together Honda!!! The Si doesn't need another 5 hp. It needs at least another 50 hp! This isn't 2003 Honda.... pathetic.
    @sjw91: Not that I think highly of the CR-Z, but the hybrid components add up to something like 132 lbs allegedly. I thought people were already past the "heavy hybrid components" thing since the newest generation of hybrids came out? The thing
    @dfelix70: The Toyobaru seems to be having some first year issues, but I wouldn't count that as a long term thing against them (this Civic has had the benefit of two years of on-the-line changes). The low-traction argument is mostly moot, since the car is
  • roger03roger03 Member Posts: 3
    My 2 cents!
    This Civic design is a miss, weird looking everywhere.
  • wankel_8wankel_8 Member Posts: 1
    Very nice, first they copied the design from Hyundai Genesis sedan for their Accord, and now they are copying the front lower bumper design from BMW 4 series for their Civic? Man, Honda surely has lost its creativity.
  • danwat1234danwat1234 Member Posts: 27
    I am very curious if the 2014 regular Civics and hybrids will get Earth Dreams engines with direct injection? Right now the 2013 Civic have the same engine and automatic 5 speed transmission that the 2006 Civic has!
    I hope all new Civic get Earth Dreams engines (Direct injection and possibly variable valve lift (AVTEC) so there'll be no more need for the throttle plate. Also auto start/stop, since it is a proven reliable technology that saves some gas in the city.

I hope the regular Civic get new engines and transmissions too. Currently it uses the same engine (R18A1) and automatic transmission used in the 2006 Civic, 8 years old!
    I hope all new Civic get Earth Dreams engines (Direct injection and possibly variable valve lift (AVTEC) so there'll be no more need for the throttle plate. Also auto start/stop because it is reliable and helps MPG in the city. Why not.

I hope the regular Civic get new engines and transmissions too. Currently it uses the same engine (R18A1) and automatic transmission used in the 2006 Civic, 8 years old!